As much as I like this game....

Why this game is better than any other.
Helleri

As much as I like this game....

Post by Helleri » 07 Jul 2016, 02:41

As of right now it feels unplayable.

List of issues that have broken it for me:

~ The client often crashes before it gets going.

~ My gatehouse was built backwards. That one is probably on me but I was so certain I had it aligned correctly. When I placed the build site the gate and windows were facing outward. When I finished construction it was facing inward. I can't help but feel that a snap to guide would be invaluable for aligning builds.

~ My horse disappeared (on claim, not during JH, and blocked from line of sight, while I was the only one logged on).

~ My tanning tubs and drying racks continuously break.

~ Sometimes containers won't open (close enough and I have permissions on them).

~My floor lamps particle effects often break.

And those are just new issues. Here are some old ones:

~ After all this time horses still freeze on too steep of a downhill or If they hit a tree while not touching ground, and sometimes get stuck in an infinite running loop instead of freezing.

~ I still don't have enough control customization wise. I can't lock window position or resize most of them easily. They don't seem to remember opacity settings. I can't for the life of me find anywhere to set cursor sensitivity, tick off head bob, or mute audio while in background.

~ The tool tips take way too long top pop up, which adds to the general unresponsiveness of the controls (except in combat where they are over responsive which could be fixed if I could set my mouse sensitivity).

~ Slings are OP. I should never be able to own a guy in full plate armor with a sling (but I can).

I understand that there will be bugs. And that it takes time to add rework some things. But when I can stand around my build and there seems to be nothing that I can really get done because key parts of getting things done are simply not working as intended. I don't feel like playing at that point. And when I stop playing for a while and come back to even more things being broken or simply not working well enough. I end up taking a lot less time to say screw this and go play another game and it becomes longer until I actually feel like picking up LiF again.

Honestly I don't care much about the RTS or MMORPG iterations. I bought this on it's own merit and would just like it to be supported a little better if at all possible. I am concerned that developments attention may be split in too many directions. Despite reassurance it definitely feels like the thing I actually paid for is not going to get much more attention past this point.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Re: As much as I like this game....

Post by Azzerhoden » 07 Jul 2016, 16:53

Helleri wrote:As of right now it feels unplayable.

List of issues that have broken it for me:

~ The client often crashes before it gets going.

Sorry to hear of your issues with the YO version. Have you sent these to the Bitbox support email alias? I have not had this issue with the client, so support may need you to run some diagnostic tests.

~ My gatehouse was built backwards. That one is probably on me but I was so certain I had it aligned correctly. When I placed the build site the gate and windows were facing outward. When I finished construction it was facing inward. I can't help but feel that a snap to guide would be invaluable for aligning builds.

Very frustrating when this stuff happens, especially for something resource expensive like a gate house. We probably have all hit it in various forms. All you can do is ask a GM to destroy/rebuild it. :(

~ My tanning tubs and drying racks continuously break.

What quality are these? Using higher quality materials will raise there durability, making them break less often.

I'll leave the rest for others who might have some ideas. Would love to see some feedback from Bitbox as well.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Helleri

Post by Helleri » 07 Jul 2016, 23:43

I send error/crash reports when the window pops up for it. Unfortunately with the gate house thing I am going to have to join yet another server. There is no GM presence here. And they refuse to fix gate houses (even if they were here).

That by itself is an entirely separate but equally frustrating thing. There is no oversight. Any one can (technically) have a sever. Not everyone should. The vast majority of server administration is incompetent (and I have seen a few be down right abusive). And there is no recourse for that.

The thing with the Gatehouse is. I am reasonably sure it was not on me (I accept however that there is always the possibility that it could have been). I was aware that people get their gatehouses backwards sometimes, when I placed the build. And so I was very careful to make certain it was correct according to the preview placement. And I have seen someone flip a gatehouse by standing under the arch and re-logging (this didn't work on mine).

I've been pushing objects in virtual worlds since 1998. And I can say from experience that any game or platform that has the ability to make and place objects benefits massively from doing two things:

1) Showing X, Y, Z axis anchored on an object center of rotation.
2) Have some form of snap to guides or fixed translation and rotation incremental movement.

As for the racks and tubs. when I say broken I don't mean that their durability has been exhausted. I mean if you log out (and sometimes even if you move outside of render range) while they are running. They stop working. They have their durability in-tact. But you cannot move them, and you cannot use them. It just returns as an internal error.

Supposedly the work around is to place them in a building. But I have found that this only saves 50%. Also a GM (if I could even get a hold of a GM) has the ability still to pick them up, and place them back down to make them work again (until the next time they break). This is something that many others have experienced. It is a bug with the game.

Early access, Alpha, Beta....If one is charging for the ability to access these things one has a responsibility to ensure a bare minimum viable product within a reasonable time frame. And from what I have seen most major issues not only never get fixed. They get worse.

It's not inspiring a lot of confidence in this developers' ability to deliver when the worst mount system in any game I have ever played never gets fixed. When stumps are still after all this time a problem. When every other update breaks something new that in turn does not get fixed.

Honestly they could never update this game again (as in no new content) and I would be happy and even pay the initial buy-in I did over again if they would just make what already exists work smoothly.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford.

SCope1987
Devoted Believer

Post by SCope1987 » 03 Aug 2016, 11:15

I rly love the Game !

Return to Off Topic