Tree Growth in beta

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Cybertroll

Tree Growth in beta

Post by Cybertroll » 16 Oct 2016, 22:39

Apparently trees are growing slower now... much slower. It's surely good for the server load. However it takes a bit more effort to have a good source of wood without destroying the natural forest around you. I would like to know if possible what is the current growth time of a tree from planting it till it becomes a major tree. It would help me a lot.

Arrakis

Re: Tree Growth in beta

Post by Arrakis » 17 Oct 2016, 14:49

It takes 150 game days to grow a tree in the new configuration.

Booyaah
Beta Tester

Post by Booyaah » 17 Oct 2016, 15:56

So ~19 RL days to grow a decent supply of wood? Is the intent is to keep ppl in near stone age for the first month? Maybe not tool/weapon wise, but definitely as far as base building goes.

I guess that makes palisades lose a lot of their appeal if you can't get them up quickly anymore due to lack of resources.

Karabas
Alpha Tester

Post by Karabas » 17 Oct 2016, 23:55

almost 19 real days? its not even funny..... seems we will have no trees in game =(((
only bare hands fights =)
Gray tag. Gray axe.Image

Gastenns
Beta Tester

Post by Gastenns » 18 Oct 2016, 00:31

Actually from what I saw it will be closer to 30 days, I believe one cycle in the MMO is longer than 3 hours irl. I think its a necessary change to make Forestry a more dynamic field for people to experience. I'm sure as the beta and into wave 1 progresses they will see how it works. The time I'm sure can be adjusted and fine tuned but clearly given how forestry is done now and how quickly trees grow it is important to make them a valuable resource as opposed to a resource we take for granted.

Karabas
Alpha Tester

Post by Karabas » 18 Oct 2016, 00:47

30 days to grow a tree will kill the game =(
Gray tag. Gray axe.Image

Reese
Alpha Tester

Post by Reese » 18 Oct 2016, 01:15

Please tell me this is some kind of really late April Fools joke.

19 RL days. Is way too long. I tried a private server that took 8 RL days to grow tress and it was miserable.

Yottskri

Post by Yottskri » 18 Oct 2016, 03:34

Karabas wrote:30 days to grow a tree will kill the game =(

Опять нытьё? Да с чего это убьёт игру? Как раз совсем наоборот, весьма разнообразит и сделает лес более ценным ресурсом

Sanguinius
Zealous Believer

Post by Sanguinius » 18 Oct 2016, 03:39

I feel like 7 irl days would be perfect (people can set up a weekly lumber day). I would also say that making palisade walls more accessible, much easier to build, and perhaps more useful, and the way to do this is by making stone walls harder to build. In the mmo it should take a gargantuan effort to get a good set of stone walls up and a keep. I have seen people in lif:yo in groups of 5 or so playing hardcore getting walls and keeps up in a week. This should not be economically possible imo

TheZar

Post by TheZar » 18 Oct 2016, 04:54

Arrakis09 wrote:It takes 150 game days to grow a tree in the new configuration.

Keep making those bad decisions guys.

Sanguinius
Zealous Believer

Post by Sanguinius » 18 Oct 2016, 05:45

I feel like in an in game week, a group investing a good amount of time should be able to get palisade walls up. A large group, could theoretically still clear cut around them for a long while and build a massive wall, but that is not really a good thing. If you made this change with this in mind, making clear cutting the option unless you want to wait, then you either need to heavily increase the time it takes to make stone walls, or make palisade walls easier to make, or they will just be leapfrogged. IF done properly the economy should support making a quick palisade wall easily enough.

Gastenns
Beta Tester

Post by Gastenns » 18 Oct 2016, 11:29

Sanguinius I do agree stone walls should be harder to build, and I'm sure that's something the devs are looking at. But you can see form a simple forest change from 7 to 20 or 13 to 30 that people become excessively concerned. I think many people expect this to be chivalry with GM abilities to make your own battleground than a survival game.

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 18 Oct 2016, 12:49

Also everyone keeps forgetting that they are working on the MMO and ready features just land in LiF:YO. Trees had very slow growrates in wave 0 already - you feel them as resource, not as something granted. The MMO is not expected to have the longlivety of a LiF:YO server - 1-2 months at very best. In LiF:YO you even make the charcoal with 95q+ trees after 1 week or so... And no one said you will have to wait for them to get fully grown, we will figure out the most time efficient tree types to cut when they reach medium state (logs per days waited).

As of YO - it's Your Own. Who says the servers should be x1 when the lifetime of most servers is 1-2 months? The GMs will just change the server settings to their taste to keep the grind realistic for LiF:YO.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 18 Oct 2016, 13:27

Good news folks. We have decided that we will lower the growth time period a bit. We're not sure yet by how much. Once we'll decide, we'll give you some exact numbers. ;)

Dobbles

Post by Dobbles » 18 Oct 2016, 22:13

I think that is a good decision. But I am not really sure there is an easy way to solve the problem in general. And I say 'problem' because even in YO, where tree times are only 1-3 days, you regularly see players plant tree farms so they have plenty of wood for all their needs. And once that starts happening you lose the entire idea of making wood scare or hard to get. Essentially, you will just be encouraging players to make even larger tree farms so that they can still have the adequate supply of wood they need. Sure it will make the first few weeks hard for players, but really once someone picks their spot and sets up the tree farm, then its no longer worthwhile to make them wait.

Unless you are also going to put in mechanics that make planting tons fo trees close together impossible, make replanting in the same places over and over impossible, or perhaps making the process of digging up a stump take an incredible amount of work, then there is really little point in long tree cycles. (aside from making the game more grindy for the millionth time)

Sanguinius
Zealous Believer

Post by Sanguinius » 19 Oct 2016, 00:15

Gastenns wrote:Sanguinius I do agree stone walls should be harder to build, and I'm sure that's something the devs are looking at. But you can see form a simple forest change from 7 to 20 or 13 to 30 that people become excessively concerned. I think many people expect this to be chivalry with GM abilities to make your own battleground than a survival game.

I hear what you are saying, but palaside walls are nerfed the hardest by this change. I would accept something like 14 days, but I still feel like 7 is a good number.

I would also propose though, that the resource costs for anything made of stone be increased (the stone cost). We should make wood structures have value, by making them economical first steps, or used as quick outposts. A castle with walls should take many months for a group to build, and palaside walls and wood keep should take a few weeks to a month. I will say though, castles and stone walls need to be worth that grind, currently they are not really unless you make besieging harder. I think some counter siege equipment, like large balistia would balance out the high cost of walls at that point.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 19 Oct 2016, 02:47

Folks are still hung up on the need to rush to palisade walls or stone walls for protection, but these will not make you safe in the MMO. Full tree growth at 14 days is too soon in my opinion. Ideally trees that produce the highest amount of wood will take the longest time to grow.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Sanguinius
Zealous Believer

Post by Sanguinius » 19 Oct 2016, 04:51

Azzerhoden wrote:Folks are still hung up on the need to rush to palisade walls or stone walls for protection, but these will not make you safe in the MMO. Full tree growth at 14 days is too soon in my opinion. Ideally trees that produce the highest amount of wood will take the longest time to grow.

If walls dont help make you safe then what is the point of walls in the first place? Just remove them from the game.

Walls do not make you invincible, but they must force attackers to spend some resources and a lot of effort to get around them, Especially if you are actively defending them.

Erling

Post by Erling » 19 Oct 2016, 05:48

Long-term growth of trees is a very good idea, because rapid growth makes the game sitting in one place next to planted trees.

The extraction of the trees shall be accompanied by settlements of woodcutters in remote locations of forest resources.

To this mechanics it would be ideal to tie the mounts and carts for transportation of logs, of course.

So I'm all for increasing the growth cycle of the tree up to 200 days.

Karabas
Alpha Tester

Post by Karabas » 19 Oct 2016, 06:08

Azzerhoden wrote:Folks are still hung up on the need to rush to palisade walls or stone walls for protection, but these will not make you safe in the MMO. Full tree growth at 14 days is too soon in my opinion. Ideally trees that produce the highest amount of wood will take the longest time to grow.

even may be both amount and quality.... but it will force to make a special rules of Q rising during growing.... not the easy way i guess and will take more morning/everyGameDay lags

need a wood right now - cut a young tree, but u will get a little amount of poor quality wood....
if so - the material reqirments for palisades should be changed......

may be it could be done in later stages of game development....

the problem is - when server starts (including MMO) - no trees are fully grown, they are all young (or i am wrong???).... so all the server will not have any good wood for building even little hats....
or some GM will be forced to manually plant lots of adult trees at server start =))))
for MMO it will be at least thousands =)))

btw the end of october is close =))) any good news about #1 ? :angel:

plaster shack built of logs will be too expensive at start =) make a little tent from branches and grass =) "shalash" (шалаш) :angel: ImageImage
Gray tag. Gray axe.Image

StuntmanBob

Post by StuntmanBob » 19 Oct 2016, 09:36

Dobbles wrote:I think that is a good decision. But I am not really sure there is an easy way to solve the problem in general. And I say 'problem' because even in YO, where tree times are only 1-3 days, you regularly see players plant tree farms so they have plenty of wood for all their needs. And once that starts happening you lose the entire idea of making wood scare or hard to get. Essentially, you will just be encouraging players to make even larger tree farms so that they can still have the adequate supply of wood they need. Sure it will make the first few weeks hard for players, but really once someone picks their spot and sets up the tree farm, then its no longer worthwhile to make them wait.

I think this is a good and important point!
Please make it difficult to cultivate sapplings for planting. Maybe collecting the sapplings from trees like now but you have to cultivate them bevor you can plant them and this tooks time. Maybe like grafting in a cold frame or a greenhouse.

Gordon der Eiserne
Devoted Believer

Post by Gordon der Eiserne » 19 Oct 2016, 10:02

I think so to Bob :good:

Laertes
Devoted Believer

Post by Laertes » 19 Oct 2016, 18:28

Somewhere on the voting page, there was a suggestion to dry woodlogs some days for effective use as building material or fuel.

I didn´t find it yet, but it should have a similar effect here.

Sanguinius
Zealous Believer

Post by Sanguinius » 19 Oct 2016, 23:50

I just solved the problem, make trees that are planted naturally grow in 14 days, make tree farm trees take 2 or 3x as long.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 20 Oct 2016, 02:51

Karabas wrote:even may be both amount and quality.... but it will force to make a special rules of Q rising during growing.... not the easy way i guess and will take more morning/everyGameDay lags

need a wood right now - cut a young tree, but u will get a little amount of poor quality wood....
if so - the material reqirments for palisades should be changed......

may be it could be done in later stages of game development....

the problem is - when server starts (including MMO) - no trees are fully grown, they are all young (or i am wrong???).... so all the server will not have any good wood for building even little hats....
or some GM will be forced to manually plant lots of adult trees at server start =))))
for MMO it will be at least thousands =)))

I think quality versus the age of the wood is a good idea. It certainly has application in the real world (trust me, I live in Oregon and my family has a long history of working in the woods).

The MMO server MUST start out with trees that are in various stages of age with the majority being fully mature. If the basis of the background is that we all arrived from elsewhere, then the forests should be primeval (old growth). To have the server start with young trees would be disastrous.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

TheZar

Post by TheZar » 20 Oct 2016, 23:59

What about making forest soil more important by making it, the higher the forest soil q that the tree is planted on, the faster it will grow.

Booyaah
Beta Tester

Post by Booyaah » 21 Oct 2016, 15:48

I expect ppl will just terraform deep moats and high raised land for walls anyways making it near impossible for ppl to get through even without walls. Make a narrow ramp to your gate and you're somewhat set. Although the thought of them nerfing terraforming even more to prevent it...eh I don't want this turning into a KR MMO with huge boring artificial timesinks.

Maybe a better alternative (from a wall standpoint) might be to not allow one to build stone walls from scratch. Require stone walls to be upgraded from a finished palisade wall and then just get rid of the wood requirements and add more stone maybe. This would make the defensive progression seem a little bit more natural IMO.

Apollyon
True Believer

Post by Apollyon » 23 Oct 2016, 13:01

The answer is definitely some combination of what has been suggested here. The answer is definitely not "make players wait longer."

Another hugely important factor to remember is that wooden items/buildings can be made more expensive without making tree growth itself more expensive.

There are a lot of angles to approach this from, but again, making people wait longer for a basic resource as a blanket solution helps nobody.

Xiaotaoozong

Post by Xiaotaoozong » 26 Oct 2016, 07:27

oh may god~ very long time~

StuntmanB0b
Beta Tester

Post by StuntmanB0b » 01 Nov 2016, 13:11

How long does the trees now need to grow to a major tree?

Return to General Discussion