[SOLVED] Steam-bought LiF:YO - how do I play?

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.
4ertpoberi

[SOLVED] Steam-bought LiF:YO - how do I play?

Post by 4ertpoberi » 23 Dec 2016, 19:14

Can't start the game (other than that crappy DX9 excuse). Tried all recommended "solutions" short of reinstalling Windows (and a fat chance I will do so just to play this one masterpiece of *cough*).

Specs: i5-2400, 8Gb RAM, GeForce 950 GTX
DirectX 11, drivers up to date, OS up to date, VC up to date (and repaired/reinstalled multiple times from distributives provided with Steam installer of the game).

I can not play with my friends on their server, because they are using the good, enhanced version of the game, while I'm stuck with bad, outdated "dx9-beta" version.

What course of action is recommended for me? Should I ask for a refund? Is there a way to fix your game?
Last edited by 4ertpoberi on 24 Dec 2016, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

Arrakis

Re: Steam-bought LiF:YO - how do I play?

Post by Arrakis » 23 Dec 2016, 20:42

What happens when you are trying to start the game? Does it crash? Does it just blink or Steam or... ?

4ertpoberi

Post by 4ertpoberi » 23 Dec 2016, 21:50

I try to launch.
In my "friends" Steam panel it shows that I am "currently playing LiF" for a second or two. Then it just goes away with no further effect whatsoever.

I have actually spent a good part of today trying to get LiF:YO to work, and to no avail.

4ertpoberi

Post by 4ertpoberi » 24 Dec 2016, 08:19

Update: for more than 24 hours I've received only this --^ question/answer and a very questionable recomendation on Steam tech support forum to turn off my antivirus and disconnect my headset (what?!).

For all the "vigorous" activity of technical support, there are 3 (three) separate threads describing the exact same problem as mine. That means, the problem is common. However, the team has neither will, nor resources to address it properly.

I'm still waiting for answers, though for anyone whom it may concern - feel free to contact me privately, I'm preparing documents to take legal action. This looks more and more like a scam, it just won't do.

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 24 Dec 2016, 08:40

4ertpoberi wrote:Update: for more than 24 hours I've received only this --^ question/answer and a very questionable recomendation on Steam tech support forum to turn off my antivirus and disconnect my headset (what?!).

For all the "vigorous" activity of technical support, there are 3 (three) separate threads describing the exact same problem as mine. That means, the problem is common. However, the team has neither will, nor resources to address it properly.

I'm still waiting for answers, though for anyone whom it may concern - feel free to contact me privately, I'm preparing documents to take legal action. This looks more and more like a scam, it just won't do.

Don't turn off your antivirus, but make sure you add it to the exceptions, MANY MANY people have that issue. Try running the game from the icon and not from the Steam Interface. Are your drivers up to date?
There are way way way too many of us that play the game for this to be a scam.
Legal action wont do anything, way too many people play this game for you to get any lawsuit going.
Did you know that on the 23rd of December Steam had a DDOS attack and went down and took till late this afternoon to get everything back up and running perfectly? Steam servers go down and zero games work, even solo games.
http://www.techworm.net/2016/12/steam-d ... stmas.html

I know you are new to the game and the forum, but Bobik, the creator of the game, is super active in the forums and has talked to many of us on how to make the game work. Arrakis (website and forum manager) there, is trying to help you and he is extremely helpful, but it took you almost 12 hours to respond to him and now you are threatening legal action? You can't wait till you respond to the person offering you help before starting legal action? I mean he literally is trying to figure it out and help you but you want to sue.

Did you update your video card? I needed to do that the other day to play, it was crashing on me until i updated.

You do realize that you posted your second comment on the 23rd of December and now on the 24th at close to 1:30am (In Colorado), one would expect that people would be getting ready for Christmas and many tech support and people in general arent there to help you right now right?

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 24 Dec 2016, 08:49

I just read through the comments on that link i posted about Steam going down today, at 6:30 pm a Valve employee commented that services were still being restored and that hopefully within 15 minutes things would start getting back to normal.

4ertpoberi

Post by 4ertpoberi » 24 Dec 2016, 08:55

4ertpoberi wrote: drivers up to date, OS up to date, VC up to date (and repaired/reinstalled multiple times from distributives provided with Steam installer of the game).

I'm not "new" to this game, I've put in 120 hours in summer 2015, but I can not play it now. Since I've purchased a product with NO limited time access, and the system requirements are well in line with my system specifications, I expect the product to remain usable. It is NOT. This is a very good cause for a legal action (and, since it's not an isolated incident, I'm fairly sure I can manage to gather quite a bunch of dissatisfied customers, if need be).

I'm aware of Steam DDoS, I've been watching the serverstatus closely and no, it's not why I couldn't run the game.

Running game from the icon guves an error abour a .dll missing; however, that exact .dll happily exists in my system.

Whatever bobiks, shariks and polkans are "super active" on the forum - I've yet to see someone answer with something really useful and not perpetuating the same old and tired "turn your computer off and then on again" nonsense which is freaking COMMON KNOWLEDGE for a moderately experienced gamer.

As for "getting ready for christmas" - do I look like I give a flying sh*t about your religious holidays?

4ertpoberi

Post by 4ertpoberi » 24 Dec 2016, 09:06

Again, Steam DDoS - not related to my LiF:YO launch problems in any way.

Just please, stop guessing and/or appealing to my kindheartedness and holiday spirit. I'm frustrated, I'm bitter, I'm smart enough and have a whole lot of free time on my hands; and I'm well within my rights to demand service and stir trouble until I get it. It's been, I'll reiterate, more than 24 hours and still no meaningful response from anyone even remotely resembling a member of dev-team.

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 24 Dec 2016, 09:24

Doesnt matter one bit if you care about holidays, the makers of the game do and as such there is no tech support to help you right now. I'm a Jew and I don't care about Christmas either, but that doesnt mean that people who do care have to drop anything for me.

Maybe Arrakis was trying to help you, he's probably getting up and starting to deal with getting to the forums, or doing Christmas stuff, but he literally within two hours of your original post tried to help you and you took 13 hours to respond to him. You act like you are being ignored when you literally are being talked to about it. You literally got a response from the next best person to Bobik, he can't just magically fix it without knowing what is wrong.

If the game worked before then it works now, that is obvious and only makes sense. There was an update today, did you get it even though steam was down?

You were given the suggestion of turning off your antivirus which you literally said you will not do.

Your first response to Arrakis did not come anywhere near answering his question, he asked "What happens, does it blink or steam or...?" You responded with, "I try to launch.
In my "friends" Steam panel it shows that I am "currently playing LiF" for a second or two. Then it just goes away with no further effect whatsoever.

I have actually spent a good part of today trying to get LiF:YO to work, and to no avail." Which 100% fails to answer his question.

If you played the game already then you know it works and its just an issue with your computer currently. What computer did you use in 2015? Was it this same one?

Once again, as the only person trying to offer you any help other than Arrakis, is everything updated? Did you get the Nvidia update the other day, did you update the game today? Did you make sure that your antivirus lets the game through? These are very simple questions to answer that would help us help you, but you just want to bitch and threaten a lawsuit.

If there was a DDoS attack then servers went down, you might not have updated the game, the servers were down, you cant play a game when the servers are down. Especially if you were trying to play online.

If the people in Russia arent online then it doesnt matter what you do, they can't help you cause they arent there. Calm down.
Looking at steam charts the entire program was down from 11am-11pm so again maybe that was the issue. Also looking at the charts there were over 1,000 people in YO today, still seems like a semi isolated issue. You still have 10 hours before this is a 24 hour issue. You posted your first comment on this thread at 12:14pm on the 23rd, its 2:24 am on the 24th.

Also dont act like a fucking dick when someone is trying to help you. I dont have to help you, i could go to sleep, but i figured id be nice and help someone who wants to play the game that i enjoy too.

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 24 Dec 2016, 09:27

In fact there is a 10.4% server population increase this month, while most of us moved on to the MMO. Again even more evidence that although you are not alone with this issue it is a semi isolated issue.

http://steamcharts.com/app/290080

4ertpoberi

Post by 4ertpoberi » 24 Dec 2016, 09:51

@Wookie - you should pay more attention.

1. Arrakis asked me an additional question and I have answered it within an hour, after which I've waited for a good long time before going to bed; then the next day I've waited some more and only THEN posted an "update" about no techie giving a crap. Also, the thing I've described in my answer to Arrakis is what I believe he meant by saying "steam blink". Which led me to believe he actually aware of the problem and can help me.

2. Next thing, about "i will not turn the antivirus" - I will not re-install Windows, as I've pointed out in my original post, all the other recommendations and usual procedures (INCLUDING turning off and even deinstalling my AV and firewalls) I've tried and it did not work. I do not object to turning on my antivirus. I object to be given the same stereotypical answers on and on after I've pointed out that I have tried all the usually suggested solutions.

3. Next few passages are irrelevant, see explanation above: done that, checked that, tried that. All is up to date, drivers, Steam, the game, etc etc.

4. I don't give a sh*t about holidays not in a dicky, atheistic sense. I don't give a sh*t in a healthy, paying customer sense. It does not matter what computer I used back in 2015 and what do I use now (it's the same system with minor upgrades); the game was revised pretty heavily as far as I can judge from the forums. Also, I REPEAT, there is a thing called SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. I have those filled and exceeded. I should be able to hit "play" and, well, play. Not spend hours and hours sifting through google and forums looking for possible answer, nor tweaking my system files (or, for that matter, disconnecting my headset, for whatever purpose was that action recommended).

And last, but not least, I will act like I decide to; if my behavior is deemed unwarranted or violating forum rules, I'm sure there are special people here to take action against me being a "dick". SInce you, evidently, prefer to misread my comments and post elaborate responses with little to no actual value to the topic (all the while under the pretence of being "nice"), kindly piss off and go to sleep. Have a nice holidays.

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 24 Dec 2016, 10:21

The first post you made i just copied this from
Steam-bought LiF:YO - how do I play?

Post by 4ertpoberi » Yesterday, 12:14

the current time, also from the forum is posted below, you still have 9 hours before it hits noon....even with a 24hour clock you still have 9 hours till its noon
It is currently 24 Dec 2016, 03:00

1 Arrakis asked you something yes, but he hasnt responded yet, maybe because he hasnt been online again? Maybe he went to sleep? Yes you did respond an hour and 8 minutes after he did but if its 1:04pm in Russia right this second then 14:50(in the states) would have been around midnight in Russia, again he was sleeping I am sure of it. And now he is most likely doing something for the Holiday.

2. If you have searched for answers as much as you say you have then you would have seen many many many many people talking about how it was the antivirus stopping the game. The reason you get the "stereotypical answer" is because its the common fix, notice how those people stopped complaining after they were told to do that, usually that means it works, people tend to keep trying to fix things when the common fix doesnt work, like you are doing. Arrakis still hasnt been back online since he responded to you so he still can't answer what you said. No matter how angry you are it doesnt make him magically appear back online, he has a life outside of the game and deserves to get to spend the holidays how he wants to. This, copied below, is the immediate post after he asked what was wrong and not a single word you said answers him.
"I try to launch.

I have actually spent a good part of today trying to get LiF:YO to work, and to no avail."
That doesnt tell him anything that happens on your end, it only tells him that you pop up on some friends list and the game still does nothing. That 100% is not an answer. It doesnt answer any single word about if it just blinks, or if Steam does something or anything.

4. Does not matter what you care about you are not the owner of the company, the owner lets him celebrate the holidays and have a day off so he gets it, regardless of what you think. They are not your slaves, they are humans just like you and deserve their time with their families or in church if thats what they do.
It 100% matters if its the same system that ran the game, you played 120 hours you know that it works. It is obvious that there is some little something wrong with it, some little issue that is causing problems, and the people that work for the company will help you when they are at work.

And lastly, you will not talk to me like a fucking douchebag, this is the last time I will talk you unless you show me the same respect I am showing you, I dont have to talk to you, I dont have to offer help, I dont have to do anything. But i am because I am trying to be nice. Your attitude is why no one wants to help you. Get over yourself. The world does not revolve around you. Kindly grow up and act like the adult you think you are.

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 24 Dec 2016, 10:23

oh, btw you posted that it worked on the same system that you added minor upgrades too, your lawsuit will fail, because you admitted to it working once.

If you are truly unhappy, just go to Steam and ask for your money back.

4ertpoberi

Post by 4ertpoberi » 24 Dec 2016, 10:36

it worked ONCE, it does not work NOW while all the sysreq is met. This is an unsatisfactory product quality at best.

You may be pleased to know that in the last hour I've managed to repair this product for myself (although I'm not going to disclose the bizarre actions necessary to fix the dev's sloppiness).

If anyone encounters this same problem - GOOD LUCK you poor sod, you're going to need it.

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 24 Dec 2016, 10:43

4ertpoberi wrote:it worked ONCE, it does not work NOW while all the sysreq is met. This is an unsatisfactory product quality at best.

You may be pleased to know that in the last hour I've managed to repair this product for myself (although I'm not going to disclose the bizarre actions necessary to fix the dev's sloppiness).

If anyone encounters this same problem - GOOD LUCK you poor sod, you're going to need it.

it worked for 120 hours..........................so it works. so you were bitching over nothing and threatening a lawsuit for nothing...let me guess you moved the folder it was in? i really dont give a fuck how you fixed it, its fixed, now you cant bitch.
Pretty unsatisfactory product that you put 120 hours into then stopped playing and then got the game again (doesnt matter if you paid twice or not) a year and a half later, and wanted to play so badly that you got on the forum bitching that no one would talk to you to fix the game.
You are a credit to the human species, Merry Christmas!

4ertpoberi

Post by 4ertpoberi » 24 Dec 2016, 10:58

Personal insults and more personal insults. A very helpful forum member, a real jewel of community.

Fact. I have paid for an unlimited access to the product.
Fact. I have used the product for some time and was satisfied.
Fact. I could no longer use the product "as is", out-of-the-box, without applying additional effort and resources, due to actions taken on the developer side; and, therefore, I became dissatisfied. Since the contract was not null and void from the fact that I have used the product for a limited amount of time, I am entitled to technical support (of which I received none, unlike being harrassed and antagonized by some random person on the official product forum).

It's befuddling how these simple terms of real-world monetization policies and customer ethics escape you.

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 24 Dec 2016, 14:47

you got it to work a year and a half later, on the same computer you played 120 hours on, it 100% is user error, especially seeing as you figured it out. idk why you keep lashing out at me or the community, i am literally the only one to keep talking to you and offering you help after you were rude in every single message.

its crazy how common decency and respect escape you. you came on the site ready to fight, you threatened legal action and when i respond to help you i am in the wrong. when i respond to you with the same tone that you talk to me and the forum and Arrakis I am in the wrong. Ok cool, dont talk to me again.

4ertpoberi

Post by 4ertpoberi » 24 Dec 2016, 15:29

A year and a half later it's not quite the same game. I could "run" the retarded "dx9-alpha" version, which was in place circa summer 2015 and which I have previously played. However, I had to modify a bunch of .dll's installed (or, rather, NOT installed) with Steam installer in order to get the current, improved version to work; then I had to create several port forwarding rules in order to be able to join my friends on their server. This is not an end-user-friendly product, not in the slightest.

As for all your petty accusations and assorted wet fantasies of hostility, I can assure you that every single real way of fixing the game's problems, suggested by you and not previously tried (and said so) by me would have been met with my undivided attention and gratitude. Such was, namely, zero.

I've come here to 1. express my frustration and dissatisfaction and 2. get some technical support. It is purely my businness how to go about these two things. You're not an employee, you have no obligation to help me, argue with me, or convince me of anything. If you do so - it's your own desire and wish (not mine: I would strongly prefer a technical support specialist in your place).

I'm still waiting for mechanic of linking Steam account to... well, wherever your "main" account base is in order to receive my promised MMO access and one ticket.

Toodle-o.

Return to Newcomer Section