Some confusion on this and that.

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
DEAD_RABBIT
Zealous Believer

Some confusion on this and that.

Post by DEAD_RABBIT » 09 Jan 2017, 18:04

Im seeing a lot of talk about the possibility of a subscription cost to play the MMO. Is this true.

Ive owned YO since late 2014 and have bought the zealous believer support pack. Will I still have to pay a sub fee to play?

Also I would like to verify that I will receive one mainland ticket since I own YO and the zealous believer pack said an additional 3 so I should be able to make 4 characters in the MMO and take them to the mainland, correct?

Also this store thing kind of scares me. I dont mind being able to buy a few small insignificant items in the store but they must not give a huge advantage or it does become more of a p2p platform. Same with a subscription fee.

Wookiee420
True Believer

Re: Some confusion on this and that.

Post by Wookiee420 » 09 Jan 2017, 18:23

themrsaxon wrote:Im seeing a lot of talk about the possibility of a subscription cost to play the MMO. Is this true.

Ive owned YO since late 2014 and have bought the zealous believer support pack. Will I still have to pay a sub fee to play?

Also I would like to verify that I will receive one mainland ticket since I own YO and the zealous believer pack said an additional 3 so I should be able to make 4 characters in the MMO and take them to the mainland, correct?

Also this store thing kind of scares me. I dont mind being able to buy a few small insignificant items in the store but they must not give a huge advantage or it does become more of a p2p platform. Same with a subscription fee.

You already got free access for buying the game and then you got the game again for buying the believer pack. The store is just cosmetics, and it makes sense for them to sell things if you want to see your game survive.

DEAD_RABBIT
Zealous Believer

Post by DEAD_RABBIT » 09 Jan 2017, 23:31

Wookiee420 wrote:
themrsaxon wrote:Im seeing a lot of talk about the possibility of a subscription cost to play the MMO. Is this true.

You already got free access for buying the game and then you got the game again for buying the believer pack. The store is just cosmetics, and it makes sense for them to sell things if you want to see your game survive.

I think its more your opinion if the game could survive without out a store.

As you can see here the numbers are up. https://www.similarweb.com/website/lifeisfeudal.com

This is mostly likely in anticipation for the next wave coming up and a large number of new players not privy to the first wave or before are coming and probably a lot of new comers as well.

Really it comes down to numbers. And your claim that the game needs a store to survive just doesnt coincide with these numbers.

That said though if the DEVS believe for the continued survival of the game they do indeed need this store than Ill probably end up buying something just like I did with the zeilous believer tier.

All and all I want what everyone wants for this game to live forever but we all know none of them do and the ones that are still around from back in the day like Ultima Online are steadily losing players. If you played UO back in the day when there was 100k players on at once, which you might have. Youll know that there isnt anything close to that today.

Fast forward 15 years from today do you really believe that this game will still be around when the tech in those days will likely make this game completely obsolete just like Ultima Online is now. Back than it was top notch.

Cheers

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 10 Jan 2017, 00:54

themrsaxon wrote:
Wookiee420 wrote:

I think its more your opinion if the game could survive without out a store.

As you can see here the numbers are up. https://www.similarweb.com/website/lifeisfeudal.com

This is mostly likely in anticipation for the next wave coming up and a large number of new players not privy to the first wave or before are coming and probably a lot of new comers as well.

Really it comes down to numbers. And your claim that the game needs a store to survive just doesnt coincide with these numbers.

That said though if the DEVS believe for the continued survival of the game they do indeed need this store than Ill probably end up buying something just like I did with the zeilous believer tier.

All and all I want what everyone wants for this game to live forever but we all know none of them do and the ones that are still around from back in the day like Ultima Online are steadily losing players. If you played UO back in the day when there was 100k players on at once, which you might have. Youll know that there isnt anything close to that today.

Fast forward 15 years from today do you really believe that this game will still be around when the tech in those days will likely make this game completely obsolete just like Ultima Online is now. Back than it was top notch.

Cheers

Not a matter of opinion at all, everyone who owns YO got the MMO free, if they didnt give incentive barely anyone would buy the MMO. One would think that 3 10k player servers costs money, as well as making the game, and marketing and everything else. If you have no need to ever pay another cent how does the game last? That is a matter of fact that it costs money to run and make video games.

Visits to a webpage does not mean that they game will have money to survive. Visits to the website only tells me how many people have been to the site, the site is free.

Many people who have YO and didn't buy a believer pack wont buy a believer pack and will get the game free.

Bitbox 100% needs to have money coming in otherwise it will not succeed. The Devs 100% think that getting paid will keep them employed and the game running.

15 years is awesome, Bitbox needs to worry about 1 year first.

I have no idea what tech will be out in 15 years, but I know a game that has no money coming it wont last 15 years, wont get new tech, wont do anything but be a bit of conversation.

Everquest 1&2, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, UO, WOW, Maplestory, FF11, Eve, Runescape, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, SecondLife, D&D Online, Tale in the Deserts, Wurm, Furcadia all have lasted for over 10 years and all have survived tech changing. I have faith that if Bitbox can pay their bills LiF will last too.

The bit about What and How Much they premium will cost that is unknown, what is in the store all we know is cosmetics, we also know that Bobik has repeated 8million times that he will do everything against p2w......Nothing at all wrong with pay2play

Worldsprayer
Alpha Tester

Post by Worldsprayer » 10 Jan 2017, 11:05

It is an interesting question: How does an MMO continue making money long after its initial inception? Initial interest and curiosity lasts only so long, even plethora of features will interesting and captivate until it has become boring, at which point the player leaves. players must continue to invest with both time and money in order to keep the game alive, and that means buying something. Either via subscription, or something else. Honestly I feel a subscription is the best, as even incredibly poor can technically afford $15 a month or so. If a unique item store helps keep the game funded, at least through a starting period, then hurray. If you have a belief there shouldn't be one , then you'll need to help figure out a way to finance the game. Inital purchases, especially when many have already injected their money into the funds, will sustain things for only so long.
Service is Glory
Death in Service
Death is Glory

DEAD_RABBIT
Zealous Believer

Post by DEAD_RABBIT » 10 Jan 2017, 15:25

All of you make valid points and though I hate the thought of a monthly sub fee it may very well be one of the better options if we do want this game to last. When you are monetarily invested in something its harder to walk away.

Cian
Alpha Tester

Post by Cian » 11 Jan 2017, 04:28

Server cost money. Developers require a paycheck. The long term suitability of this game requires monthly subs and a store of some type for cosmetics. The developers are currently using their cash income to fund the final development of the game. If they burn through most of it before release what will pay for the server costs and staff wages?

Use your head man. Nothing is free.
Lord Cian Khan
Baron of Deephold,
Gul Khan of House of Khans
Great Khan of the Tribal lands

HOUSE OF KHANS
http://www.houseofkhans.com

HOK DISCORD
https://discord.gg/NRB3DR3

DEAD_RABBIT
Zealous Believer

Post by DEAD_RABBIT » 11 Jan 2017, 05:11

Cian wrote:Server cost money. Developers require a paycheck. The long term suitability of this game requires monthly subs and a store of some type for cosmetics. The developers are currently using their cash income to fund the final development of the game. If they burn through most of it before release what will pay for the server costs and staff wages?

I had a much better reply for you on the whole use your head insult but this one wont get me into trouble. Stop insulting people. Your intelligence is doubtedly that much different than mine. Just because I hadnt thought of something doesnt mean I dont use my head. Do you use yours? Do you like being insulted? Probably not.

Cian
Alpha Tester

Post by Cian » 11 Jan 2017, 06:18

themrsaxon wrote:
Cian wrote:Server cost money. Developers require a paycheck. The long term suitability of this game requires monthly subs and a store of some type for cosmetics. The developers are currently using their cash income to fund the final development of the game. If they burn through most of it before release what will pay for the server costs and staff wages?

I had a much better reply for you on the whole use your head insult but this one wont get me into trouble. Stop insulting people. Your intelligence is doubtedly that much different than mine. Just because I hadnt thought of something doesnt mean I dont use my head. Do you use yours? Do you like being insulted? Probably not.

Telling you to use your head isn't an insult. It is a directive. Ergo, I'm telling you to take your noggin out of idle and put it into drive.

You started your second reply in this topic by dismissing Wookie's reply as mere opinion and conjecture with no real factual basis behind it. You conveniently ignored the fact that the developers have already made the decision to include a cash shop and a subscription model. Simple deductive reasoning would have told you that the developers obviously believe that these measures are required in order to maintain their game.

I've provided you a more in depth albeit sarcastic explanation as to why these measures are required in order to continue to provide for the development of this title.

Quite frankly you caught the brunt of my rather blunt response because your words give me the impression that you were about to join the ranks of the raving mad men constantly screaming about pay to win.

If you don't fit that definition that you were undeserving of my sarcasm and I apologize. If that does resemble your mindset in any way then I suppose no apology is needed.

Frankly I am appalled at today's gaming environment filled with Free to Play babies who scream bloody murder at the mere suggestion that those who are actually WILLING to pay a subscription not be given any real benefit for doing so. The people who defend the idea of paying a subscription are routinely publicly flogged, eviscerated, burned at the stake, and have their ashes symbolically urinated on for having suggested the heresy of actually paying for a product.

As for either of our intelligence levels, I'd say a large portion of the world is likely wiser, more intelligent, or both than I am. Very intelligent people are still capable of failing to think things through to their logical conclusion. That isn't a reflection of intelligence or education. That is a reflection of how much time someone puts into their thoughts before they express them to others.
Lord Cian Khan
Baron of Deephold,
Gul Khan of House of Khans
Great Khan of the Tribal lands

HOUSE OF KHANS
http://www.houseofkhans.com

HOK DISCORD
https://discord.gg/NRB3DR3

Wookiee420
True Believer

Post by Wookiee420 » 11 Jan 2017, 07:03

Cian wrote:
themrsaxon wrote:

Telling you to use your head isn't an insult. It is a directive. Ergo, I'm telling you to take your noggin out of idle and put it into drive.

You started your second reply in this topic by dismissing Wookie's reply as mere opinion and conjecture with no real factual basis behind it. You conveniently ignored the fact that the developers have already made the decision to include a cash shop and a subscription model. Simple deductive reasoning would have told you that the developers obviously believe that these measures are required in order to maintain their game.

I've provided you a more in depth albeit sarcastic explanation as to why these measures are required in order to continue to provide for the development of this title.

Quite frankly you caught the brunt of my rather blunt response because your words give me the impression that you were about to join the ranks of the raving mad men constantly screaming about pay to win.

If you don't fit that definition that you were undeserving of my sarcasm and I apologize. If that does resemble your mindset in any way then I suppose no apology is needed.

Frankly I am appalled at today's gaming environment filled with Free to Play babies who scream bloody murder at the mere suggestion that those who are actually WILLING to pay a subscription not be given any real benefit for doing so. The people who defend the idea of paying a subscription are routinely publicly flogged, eviscerated, burned at the stake, and have their ashes symbolically urinated on for having suggested the heresy of actually paying for a product.

As for either of our intelligence levels, I'd say a large portion of the world is likely wiser, more intelligent, or both than I am. Very intelligent people are still capable of failing to think things through to their logical conclusion. That isn't a reflection of intelligence or education. That is a reflection of how much time someone puts into their thoughts before they express them to others.

+1
i keep wondering why there is no like button

DEAD_RABBIT
Zealous Believer

Post by DEAD_RABBIT » 11 Jan 2017, 08:54

Cian wrote:
themrsaxon wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. Im also sorry if Ive offended or was rude.

No I dont mind paying a sub fee. Have been doing it for years on Ultima Online. Just hoped there were other ways for this game other than having to pay every month, like DLC etc but I suppose that there is only so many of them they can release before the community feels there milking them. At least thats how I see it.

Also I didnt mean to dismiss anything anyone said. All Im really after in the end is the facts regarding this game so I know what Im paying for or going to have to pay for.

Much like how I bought the zealous believer tier. I bought it not really because I needed it or anything but just wanted to help the DEVS out. And looking forward to getting an early start in the MMO.

Sorry again - cheers

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 11 Jan 2017, 14:33

If you want a well ballanced game in every game aspect, there is no way around a monthly payment or a regular must have dlc/addon.
f2p and cosmetic items work mostly for a short time, but with a shrinking community (wich is a normal process) there will come the day were either p2w items will show up or server costs will by reduced.

the beginner tool box is no p2w but it is no cosmetic item also, as promised. With reduced skill rates and frequently death (which can accour lategame) booster packs can give you an advantage when you are not able to play 8h a day.
In long war situations regaining lost skillpoints faster than your enemy is some sort of p2w already.

Return to General Discussion