Dedicated Server Account

Discussions and advertising of dedicated, private servers made by players, for players

Laiden

Dedicated Server Account

Post by Laiden » 08 Jan 2017, 15:51

I have tried searching but the search terms seem to be common enough to make that process a real nightmare.

The short and sweet of it... I want to have a computer on my network to host my own private server so that it is off of my gaming computer. If I create a new steam account to do this, the server software isn't on the list and if I run a backup/restore it says that I have to enter a code to be able to install the server software on the account that hasn't purchased the game.

So do I have to purchase the game again just to run the server from a dedicated steam account?

I have circumvented this in the past by logging in with my account on the server computer, going offline, running it, online, offline and whatever else the dance required to get it going but this is madness.

I have already bought the game twice, once for myself and once for my daughter, I really don't want to buy it again just so I can easily run a dedicated server on my own LAN.

Sorry if this information is already out there but I've not been able to find it at all, mostly search returns of not being able to see the server on the server list. Feel free to redirect me or whatever the case may be.

Thanks!

Wir3tap

Re: Dedicated Server Account

Post by Wir3tap » 11 Jan 2017, 15:02

Install SteamCMD

create this batch file:

@echo off
// You can enter valid values in here and commenting out the echo lines with double / if you are the only user of the server but I didn't recommend this!
echo enter Steam Username
set /P user=
echo enter Steam Password
set /P password=

C:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login %user% %password% +force_install_dir D:\LiF +app_update 320850 +quit

Use your directory where you want to install it to, and use your Steam login and username and you are good to go!

Return to Private Servers