Development News #40 - ‘Ring the Bell!’

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis

Development News #40 - ‘Ring the Bell!’

Post by Arrakis » 25 Feb 2017, 11:56

And then came the Khoors, venturing to those lands, marked by the Sword of Godmassacre, thrusted into the earth just like the great grandfathers bequeathed as a token of peace and readiness for the nemesis at the same time. And stepped they upon the seeded fields, and entered the homes, and picked up their arms against those who lived there. And engraved was on the Sword: ‘This land is ours’, and the truth it was.

Then someone named Lut rang a bell set upon high pillars of stone, as it was accustomed there. Those pillars was carved with rich imprints of the god, Terskel the One-Handed, whose horn still trumpets among the stars. By his side were the Ice Konungs Snowstorm, Kald and Icehorn. They were the guards for our Sleeping God; let the darkness harbor him for eternity.

And the great ringing rolled over the land; and many Khoors covered their ears in efforts to muffle it; and the aim of theirs was poor; and their targets were saved.
Others stood stunned together, and were easily beaten...

Abstract from "The life of Gottlungs, Slavards and Khoors"
by Hon. akur Taid Utrik,
translated to common tongue by maester Rainar.

Hi feudalists!

As some of you may have guessed, bell towers will allow you to better protect your settlements and territories from hostile raids. When a bell is rung, intruders will get temporary debuffs while on the hostile claim. The towers will be operational any time but Judgement Hours will only affect related claim territory.

Of course, to ring a bell, it takes a player action, and if a bell tower is built outside a claimed territory, its effects will be purely cosmetic (ring sound) with no gameplay-related features.

It’s likely that the bell towers will be divided into 3 types:
— For small underdeveloped settlements — fully wooden ones;
— For medium level towns — wooden and metal constructions;
— For top end huge cities and fortresses — stone and metal ones.

What do you think? Let us know in the comments!

Elindor
True Believer

Re: Development News #40 - ‘Ring the Bell!’

Post by Elindor » 25 Feb 2017, 13:52

Very nice.

Shouldn't ringing the bell make every hostile player "grey"?

Actually, shouldn't hostile players ALWAYS be "grey" on a claim?
By "grey" I mean that if a non-friendly player is on your claim you should be able to attack them without losing alignment....and that should not require any actions by the defending players.

But if it does need to require an action, then have a Tresspasser call or a bell being rung mark all hostile players on the claim be marked "grey" until they leave that claim.

Basically, players shouldn't lose alignment for attacking someone on their claim.

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 25 Feb 2017, 15:20

Disponible en Français : sur Lifeisfeudal-fr.com

sad, I hoped it was a religious building :(

but if we really can hear them from long distance, then, that's cool :)
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

I_Spartacus_I
True Believer

Post by I_Spartacus_I » 25 Feb 2017, 18:14

So more features to discourage PvP, just what are these temporary debuffs? Release the new armor already too.

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 27 Feb 2017, 01:12

As long as there's not something stupid like damaging attacking players, this may work.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 27 Feb 2017, 01:12

This is a bullshit feature that is not in the spirit of the original game. Please remove this. Why was this added in the first place? I thought the community already voted not to add this.
Last edited by Ishamael on 27 Feb 2017, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Jackstark5

Post by Jackstark5 » 27 Feb 2017, 01:14

So are you going to add an ear covering skill to counter this? I really hope you don't implement this, it will discourage raiding which is already a task. Please do not do this.
-Jack Stark

I like to play

JackStark
Zealous Believer

Post by JackStark » 27 Feb 2017, 01:18

How about when the bell is ringing friendlies and enemies alike only have an option to hug each other?!?!?! FRIENDSHIP BELL 2017!!!

Frang
True Believer

Post by Frang » 27 Feb 2017, 01:23

Well what's the debuff?

There is better ways to prevent camping a claim. Or having off line players logging in. Just TP people off the claim.

Will this debuff work in war? Is it going to be a stun? How long is the buff?

I am fine for a system to help protect a claim from being camped for a extended period of time. But this is a sandbox game and to me that means players need to make other players leave a claim not some debuff to help the defenders.

If a claim is being camped then the ones being camped should find a larger group to help protect them.

I hope that this will not be added to the game. I have high hopes for this game and frankly I been following and supporting you guys for years and this kind of stuff seems like a insult to pvpers.

DannyBR
Devoted Believer

Post by DannyBR » 27 Feb 2017, 01:23

Yay ! another way of enabling the tiny 3 player groups to defend themselves from huge groups that should rightfully be able to crush them into the fucking ground if they wish

Lerp8674
True Believer

Post by Lerp8674 » 27 Feb 2017, 01:25

Word, seems like it could counter out of war raiding, even though grinding perpetually isn't everyone's idea of fun. So whats the point for the alignment system?

Dragmar
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragmar » 27 Feb 2017, 06:05

Lerp8674 wrote:Word, seems like it could counter out of war raiding, even though grinding perpetually isn't everyone's idea of fun. So whats the point for the alignment system?

This won't counter raiding, it will make sure you raid, then go home. All it's ment to do is stop base camping, aka griefing.

Amrock

Post by Amrock » 27 Feb 2017, 19:08

I really like this news.

Ringing Bell
In-game sound ambiance is a very important point.
Such feature add immersion, and support helps people not linked by meta-com to work together.

Effect
I am not fan of such impact and hope it will be adjusted with high caution to not feel much artificial. But I am confident with our Devs and the Big Picture they keept through years.

Therfore I dont see how a temporary debuff would force raider to leave, nor protect a tiny group, nor insult anyone.
As it is presented, it just means raiders will have a [temp] penality once discovered, offering defender [temp again] advantage to react.
------------------------
Frang wrote:[...] this kind of stuff seems like a insult to pvpers.
You are fairly easy to insult then. Maybe wait more information about this effect before crying.

Bafflegor
Zealous Believer

Post by Bafflegor » 27 Feb 2017, 21:06

Amrock wrote:I really like this news.

Ringing Bell
In-game sound ambiance is a very important point.
Such feature add immersion, and support helps people not linked by meta-com to work together.

Effect
I am not fan of such impact and hope it will be adjusted with high caution to not feel much artificial. But I am confident with our Devs and the Big Picture they keept through years.

Therfore I dont see how a temporary debuff would force raider to leave, nor protect a tiny group, nor insult anyone.
As it is presented, it just means raiders will have a [temp] penality once discovered, offering defender [temp again] advantage to react.
------------------------
Frang wrote:[...] this kind of stuff seems like a insult to pvpers.
You are fairly easy to insult then. Maybe wait more information about this effect before crying.

Well I agree that more info is needed about it. But to me it seems to me they are not adding a system to prevent camping but rather a system to help defenders. Which I am kind of ok with if its done right. But I don't want a stun when you ring a bell. and the way its worded seems like its a "oh shit I see a bad guy ring the bell" before a fight even. That's not preventing camping but rather preventing a fight.

I am fine with a anti griefing system but my understanding for the push for this system was people logging out on a claim then log in during JH. I still don't understand why they just don't make it so you cant log out on a claim you're not part of. and if you crash on the claim you get tp to the outside of it.

I think in general that this "magic bell" is not a good thing. In the end the game is a sandbox and that players should be forced to force others out. If a small group is being camped then they need to find a way to prevent that and there are options they can do like offer to become a vassle of said campers or join a larger kingdom to get protection. But I am sure there will be a balance and it wont be as bad as people think.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 27 Feb 2017, 21:17

The bell should be a warning sound and should flag all hostile players on your claim so you don't lose alignment by hitting them.

I think though that you should NEVER lose alignment for doing anything to someone on your claim...your claim is your land and defending it should NEVER cost you alignment.

Self defense should not be punished by alignment loss.

That being said - the bell is a great feature for a warning signal especially for those that are not on voice.

Maybe the bell shouldn't be a debuff to attackers but instead a buff to defenders, such as a temp speed buff as they rally to the walls, etc...

Zohann

Post by Zohann » 28 Feb 2017, 10:16

I think that the main question is what this debuff will look like. So maybe more info on that and then we can discuss it? I personally think that it should hang a 1 hour criminal status on tresspassers and should lay an effect Call to Arms on all the guild members of the claim with a slight speed bonus for 15 secs or more\less to make them access the weapons\ armor storages faster and gather to regroup. And of course, it should have a cooldown like 10 min. Also, it should work only if there is at least 1 tresspasser on a claim.

Alarm bell should not be a magical tower, spawning stuns. It should be realistically motivated, like the variant I suggested. Dont you agree? ;)

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 28 Feb 2017, 14:18

Agree.

Brother

Post by Brother » 28 Feb 2017, 17:54

Also agree

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 02 Mar 2017, 01:56

Also agree.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 03 Mar 2017, 13:48

Can we change all the Vanirs forum tags to developers please? I keep thinking they are regular players then I remember that everything they Bitch about gets changed. It would reduce confusion if you just label them developers.

Instead of bell towers, how about some horse drawn carts?
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Filipsss
Beta Tester

Post by Filipsss » 03 Mar 2017, 14:04

Ishamael wrote:Can we change all the Vanirs forum tags to developers please? I keep thinking they are regular players then I remember that everything they Bitch about gets changed. It would reduce confusion if you just label them developers.

Salty as fuck

Dragmar
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragmar » 03 Mar 2017, 15:05

Ishamael wrote:Can we change all the Vanirs forum tags to developers please? I keep thinking they are regular players then I remember that everything they Bitch about gets changed. It would reduce confusion if you just label them developers.

Now when did we ever ask for bell towers? I think the consept of it migth be a good idea, but the magic that was spoken of early I hope never make it into the game.

And horse drawn carts is already comming, we all know it, they even showed some very nice animations that they already have done.

Jon_The_Mediocre
Devoted Believer

Post by Jon_The_Mediocre » 03 Mar 2017, 15:49

I love it! This is exactly what the game needs. Every game with humans will have PVP. Defensive bonuses are what keep people coming back so they don't lose days of work in a gimmicky raid. Things like this will maintain the longevity of this game.

Can't wait to see it in game!

Some_Jerk
True Believer

Post by Some_Jerk » 04 Mar 2017, 10:53

I'm thrilled to see so many players speaking out against this idea. We need to encourage PvP, not discourage it with ideas such as this. It really makes me worried about the direction this game is going in. With the alignment system and death penalties the way they are, I'm amazed anyone PvPs at all, it's incredibly punishing to be the attacker. That said, I want to echo what some have said here on this forum also: Why should we need to use abilities like trespassers? If someone is on our claim we should be able to attack them with no alignment penalty. No ability or bell tower or w/e should be needed to do that.

Schalkan
Devoted Believer

Post by Schalkan » 04 Mar 2017, 13:47

i like the look and the idee

Return to Development News