Feudal Democracy strikes back! (Poll)

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Lord_Sitruc
True Believer

Re: Feudal Democracy strikes back! (Poll)

Post by Lord_Sitruc » 19 Feb 2017, 00:00

Its not that, its more of my own play style, I want to be able to do things that I want.

On top of that some of the choices don't make sense, like why would a horseman wear chain armor when plate is the game? A horseman doesn't have to walk anywhere and would prolli wear the heaviest armor (on top of them being the richest). Or why does a berserk wear plate armor? I would rather wear something lighter so I can close faster and put my big weapons to work. + whats the point of having some of the shouts if I can't catch up to the guy I just shouted at because I am wearing a crap ton of weight?

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 19 Feb 2017, 00:18

Lord_Sitruc wrote:Its not that, its more of my own play style, I want to be able to do things that I want.

On top of that some of the choices don't make sense, like why would a horseman wear chain armor when plate is the game? A horseman doesn't have to walk anywhere and would prolli wear the heaviest armor (on top of them being the richest). Or why does a berserk wear plate armor? I would rather wear something lighter so I can close faster and put my big weapons to work. + whats the point of having some of the shouts if I can't catch up to the guy I just shouted at because I am wearing a crap ton of weight?

Bobik's arguments are that berserkers need plate to compensate the lack of shield with thicker armor. Cavalry with chainmail, because of the mentioned above and they would be too good with plate as when they are dismounted they usually don't have to close the distance, so will just benefit from the thickest armor.

Toren
True Believer

Post by Toren » 19 Feb 2017, 06:17

To be honest, the armor thing isn't really as bad as it seems since you gotta remember that it will only cost 90 skill points to get to any tier 2 armor you want since they're all sitting at 30 skill points for each branch. I'm personally more concerned about the fact that some of the weapons in the tier 1 skills are just plain better than the weapons in the later tiers for some of the trees, I.E. the bardiche being in the vanguard branch, while the currently superior claymore is in the prior assaulter branch.

That being said, I assume most weapons are going to get a huge revamp soon to make the game more balanced and diverse across the board. However, it is worth pointing out as Azzerhoden said, 400 skillpoints might be a bit too much for the new trees if the devs really want specialization. I think they're assuming that most people will run equipment maintain, but honestly why would anybody run it since it drops max gear durability, other than for poisons which need a revamp themselves.

Lord_Sitruc
True Believer

Post by Lord_Sitruc » 19 Feb 2017, 15:43

I think they are more expecting everyone to grab formations as I think they said that they are increasing the bonus, and the bonus grows for every person that has formations that is in the formation.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 19 Feb 2017, 18:51

Toren wrote:That being said, I assume most weapons are going to get a huge revamp soon to make the game more balanced and diverse across the board. However, it is worth pointing out as Azzerhoden said, 400 skillpoints might be a bit too much for the new trees if the devs really want specialization. I think they're assuming that most people will run equipment maintain, but honestly why would anybody run it since it drops max gear durability, other than for poisons which need a revamp themselves.

They are indeed reworking all the weapons, and the plan is that some weapons (those that are better) will take regional resources like the heavy and royal armor. I've mixed feelings on that, but will wait to see how things shake out. At the moment we don't know how many different regions there are, whether regional resources effect quality or damage, or a host of other things.

Playing with the skill trees its pretty easy to open up 3 types of armor, and since heavy armor is not all that realistic to wear, you could probably squeeze in 4 types.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 19 Feb 2017, 18:57

Lord_Sitruc wrote:I think they are more expecting everyone to grab formations as I think they said that they are increasing the bonus, and the bonus grows for every person that has formations that is in the formation.

Exactly. Moving formations out of the spear tree so everyone can use it is a good first step, and bonuses for being in a formation will probably out-weigh any bonus for wearing certain types of armor.

Formations still need to be reworked so that might change. At the moment the area for a formation bonus doesn't rotate with the squad leader. I think the area should also be larger and the squad leader should have some way to specify whether they are in the front, middle, or rear of some of the formation shapes.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Toren
True Believer

Post by Toren » 19 Feb 2017, 22:28

I'm pretty doubtful about the regional resources for weapons, especially considering how it made veteran armors pretty much obsolete when combo'd with the new blueprint system. But hey, time will tell. Honestly I'd rather that weapons just have more of a unique purpose and have more specialized utility across the board than have some just be plain better but be locked behind regional resources. Don't need this game to turn into a flat gear game. However, if there are plans to add more weapons in the future, I think what they might be trying to go for is that factions in certain regions will have a mostly uniform load out weapon wise (I'm ready for all those highlanders with claymores), which would be fine, especially if it makes it so that some weapons just aren't flat out better.

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that they were planning on making the formations only require the leader to have it for everyone to get the max bonus, so I was assuming that only about 1/10th of the people would actually run it. But since I can't find where I read that, I guess I was just imagining things.

Lord_Sitruc
True Believer

Post by Lord_Sitruc » 19 Feb 2017, 23:38

Another thing that they could do if they have to keep armors in the trees like the are shown in this blueprint. Is to put each tree with two different armors unlock able. so like the berserk tree would allow you to wear plate and leather, lancer tree could be chain and plate. The spear and archer trees could be leather and chain and padded and chain. This would make me happy and allow more customization.

However stating this I still think armors being a separate skill outside the trees will make me the most happy.

Girdian
True Believer

Post by Girdian » 22 Feb 2017, 08:32

I don't mind pushing people to use certain armors but I do not like having to use a certain armor for a certain weapon tree. For instance, I typically go modified Ranger and have archery with a 1h or 1/2h sword and wear chain. I would wear leather but it doesn't do anything for protection whatsoever and I tend to alternate from distance to close quarters pretty frequently. I can still work around this as long as I don't wish to master chain or 1h swords and focus on archery but it'd be nice to have chain separate so I don't have to level a different tree also. Just my opinion though.
Owner/Admin of The Great Kingdom

Wind_i3lade
True Believer

Post by Wind_i3lade » 22 Feb 2017, 21:13

I was highly against the normalization at first of classes and fighting styles, but I kind of like the new system. I feel like I can do more with less points, and not be too overpowered at the same time that it is meta breaking.

Toren made some valid points and I agree with him that tier 1 weapons are sometimes wayyyy more superior to tier 2 and 3, beyond that and a few tweaks here and there, I do believe it is a solid all around idea after all.

Some_Jerk
True Believer

Post by Some_Jerk » 28 Feb 2017, 03:47

The new combat tree is better than the previous one, largely because it allows us to use shields at tier one. I also like how it added unit and formations into the stand alone skills, this is a very good change.
What is bad about this are the bonuses, and what really worries me is that what was written into the feudal democracy poll was that the developers seem to think 5-15% is a small bonus. 5% is not a small bonus, 15% is absurd. When they mentioned a "Very small bonus" I thought they were talking about 1-3%. 10%, the bonus given to tier 2 armor, is absolutely more than enough to lock players into using a specific type of armor indefinitely. If the developers want this, then they will achieve it through this "small" bonus. If, on the other hand, they actually do want us to be able to mix and match armor and still be competitive, the bonus needs to be drastically reduced to something that actually won't make a difference (which would be one percent), but ideally, they wouldn't have these magical armor bonuses at all.
These armor bonuses are the worst feature I've seen added to this game since I began playing YO.

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 28 Feb 2017, 15:42

In the last interview on our TS he said that the the majority will go in the meta classes (with specific armor) and that's good, but it's not forced. If archer wants to sacrifice some damage and reload speed he is free to go for chainmail that will give him better protection, but can't expect to have only gains (protection) without noticeable sacrifices (damage/reload speed). That's the reason the trees are shorter now as well and you can grab more skills. What makes you a better lancer will be the chainmail, because even melee with scale will have points left to be lancer as well and it wouldn't be very fair if the bonus is unnoticeable for your meta class.
Not to mention that it will lead to the old mixing of plate/chainmail for example to have both protection in the areas that usually get the hit and speed as the other parts will be lighter. That's definitely not the targeted effect, but the trees allow you to do it if there are no noticeable bonuses that you aren't ready to sacrifice.

Some_Jerk
True Believer

Post by Some_Jerk » 28 Feb 2017, 23:56

Sharana wrote:In the last interview on our TS he said that the the majority will go in the meta classes (with specific armor) and that's good, but it's not forced. If archer wants to sacrifice some damage and reload speed he is free to go for chainmail that will give him better protection, but can't expect to have only gains (protection) without noticeable sacrifices (damage/reload speed). That's the reason the trees are shorter now as well and you can grab more skills. What makes you a better lancer will be the chainmail, because even melee with scale will have points left to be lancer as well and it wouldn't be very fair if the bonus is unnoticeable for your meta class.
Not to mention that it will lead to the old mixing of plate/chainmail for example to have both protection in the areas that usually get the hit and speed as the other parts will be lighter. That's definitely not the targeted effect, but the trees allow you to do it if there are no noticeable bonuses that you aren't ready to sacrifice.

Hey Sharana, thank you for the info.
You make good points, particularly about archers and being able to choose between faster reload vs armor. However, I don't think this principle applies to other "classes" within the game. What if you want to play as a light armor shield user? I suppose you could go 1h spear, but what about swords or maces? Not as viable, as giving up the damage and shield bonus from scale is too heavy a penalty to make the extra movement speed worthwhile. Some play styles still have options while others are completely pigeonholed. If they do insist on keeping these armor bonuses, as you indicate they are, then I really think the bonuses need to be changed or toned down. I don't think there should be only one viable option for each class, and it looks like we are headed very quickly in that direction.

Samuray1987
True Believer

Post by Samuray1987 » 13 Mar 2017, 09:15

Many thanks to razryuyotchikam for a new branch of military skills.
Most players in our guild liked this branch. We got more freedom when choosing the pumping of the character.
I would like to get more freedom in choosing a peaceful profession.

WestArcher

Post by WestArcher » 14 Mar 2017, 23:46

Honestly I don't like the idea of locking everything into "classes"
It's the lazy way out and also the most boring method.

I'd much rather they just removed skill trees all together (for crafting aswel), merge/delete/add skills as needed and let us pick whatever skills to level regardless of prerequisites similar to how ultima did it.

It might be much more difficult to balance, armor is the most difficult to balance as one type shouldn't always be superior to another otherwise you end up with everyone wearing the same stuff, but it would be much more interesting and in my opinion more fun if we can just do what we want (without breaking the game as well).

Return to General Discussion