Retaining Walls for an Efficient and Aesthetically Pleasing use of Space

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Atheddall

Retaining Walls for an Efficient and Aesthetically Pleasing use of Space

Post by Atheddall » 20 Mar 2017, 05:15

For those who do not know, a retaining wall is a wall at a slight angle to hold back dirt similar to how a dam holds back water. If you look at how building is in LiF, you'll notice that many players opt to place their fortifications right behind, in front of, or flanked by an extreme slope. However, said extreme slope tends to be an eyesore due to stretched textures or jagged edges. There was a time when this was abused to make infinite falling traps, but ignoring that use of terrain geometry the extreme slopes are generally used to gain more height for your walls.

Retaining walls, as in this picture, are visually appealing for making those sharp slopes no longer an issue for building. While a stylistic choice that wouldn't need to be used or mandatory in any way, you could use this construction to mimic terrace farming on hilly terrain. Doing so would keep the rustic look of the game while keeping the balance of having one permanent structure or plant per cell.

If you wanted to take the idea a step forward, you could allow the use of these retaining walls in conjunction with the building system, to allow certain buildings to utilize the extra space from the use of the wall. Similar to having a flattened area on either side of a perfect slope, you would now be able to have a retaining wall on the slope giving you an extra tile of usable flattened space! In the creation of a city, having as much usable space as possible is imperative to intelligent design.

With the ability to make more efficient use of space there obviously must be some limitations. Such a construction would be able to be make of planks or shaped stone, however the prior would not be able to hold back as much of a height difference in material nor would it be as durable as its masonry counterpart. If the addition of building above of a retaining wall's tile was implemented, it would need to be mason-made to withstand the weight of a building or large structure. Just an added thought; the wooden retaining walls could be utilized in open quarries to fortify the walls from caving in, similar to the logs we put in the shafts now.

If you are with me in the belief that this is a feature that should be added to the game, please vote for my suggestion at: http://lifeisfeudal.com/Discussions/que ... e-of-space

Styxwash
Zealous Believer

Re: Retaining Walls for an Efficient and Aesthetically Pleasing use of Space

Post by Styxwash » 21 Mar 2017, 18:22

Too easy.

LIF is hardcore.

:lol:

Fhoer
Zealous Believer

Post by Fhoer » 30 Mar 2017, 02:22

This wouldn't defend anything...
Fhoer BlackOak

Founder of Black Sun.
Private Property, Individualism and decentralized power of decision are our fundation.

Atheddall

Post by Atheddall » 30 Mar 2017, 14:47

I think you guys are missing the point, this isn't for defense or for making the game easier, this has no effect on difficulty at all. It is a structure that attaches onto slopes in order to make them more pleasing to the eye, and it will cost resources that larger towns will be able to afford to make their city more efficient. It's not for defense, if you read what I wrote I never once mentioned anything about defense, I assume you got that from the use of the word 'wall' which doesnt always correlate with 'defense.'

Nymity
Zealous Believer

Post by Nymity » 31 Mar 2017, 04:30

We can already do this in game, if people just neaten up the edges of slopes ... and I disagree with it giving back area ... that just messes with the fact that you need space to move up and down within your base (although it makes stairs more relevant).

But, I like the idea of having some way to lock a slope in place, so that the next person to muck with the ground nearby doesn't change the tilt of the land.
Patience Gadabout
(of the sisters Gadabout: Patience, Atsuko and Jax)

Yenko68

Post by Yenko68 » 05 Apr 2017, 16:29

Atheddall,
I am very much on board with your line of thinking here. I would really enjoy having this plus other aesthetic options for landscaping. There is only so much i can do with a stone fence.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas