How To Update Piety and Resolve Recall/Homecoming

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

How To Update Piety and Resolve Recall/Homecoming

Post by Azzerhoden » 15 Apr 2017, 19:38

As LIF has evolved, certain ideas and skills have evolved as well. One skill that has fallen behind the development curve is the skill Piety. Originally intended to add a server wide distinction and abilities to those with a high piety level, its move out of the crafting skill line has reduced the trade-off for having it. Now almost everyone tries to raise it to reduce skill loss as well as granting a fast travel mechanism. The latter is rather contentious for multiple reasons. The secondary uses of piety provide value, but since recall is a base 0 skill with a cooldown, it’s now extremely difficult to train up. Here is how I would change the piety skill line.

Piety:
  • Level 0: Can Praise God (alignment increases, can be used once per day).
  • Level 30: Can bless people calling upon "God's Mercy" that removes death penalty during PvP events (sieges/battles/Judgement Hour)
  • Level 60: Can bless people calling upon "God's Love" that increases luck by 3.
  • Level 90: Can bless a monument, adding a reduced death penalty for every guild member within the realm claim. Must be cast daily. Casting uses hard stamina from the strain of the blessing. Possibly use monument maintenance points as well.
  • Level 100: Can remove/reduce the length of ‘Rez sickness’ (similar to healing)

Recall/Homecoming:
The arguments against players being able to recall to their bind point are:
  • Unrealistic for a game where magic does not exist.
  • Allows players to abuse overburdened movement.
  • Reduces danger from hostiles.
  • Allows players to quickly return home when being raided.
For the first point, all games have some mechanic that is unrealistic. In fact, there is nothing more unrealistic that respawning after being killed, carrying an animal in your backpack, the current healing mechanics, using /stuck to move to a previous spot, or petitioning a GM to come help you ‘fix something’. The simple fact is that because this is a game, things will happen to players when moving around the game world, and ‘recall’ is the only realistic way to resolve it. No one will play a game where their character can get stuck and the only outcome is to petition a GM or ‘starve to death’.

For the other listed arguments against ‘recall’, I consider them perfectly valid. However, the solution is not to ‘remove the mechanic’. The solution is to ‘balance the mechanic’. My solution:
  • Remove ‘recall’ from the piety skill and add it as part of movement.
  • Set the cooldown back to 30 minutes and modify the character table so the cooldown is not reset on a game restart (similar to ‘LastTimeUsedPraiseYourGodAbility’ table value).
  • Remove chance to fail when using recall.
  • Limit excessive weight being carried to the skill in movement. So a movement skill of 25 would allow you to be 25% overburdened when you recall.
  • Add ‘resurrection’ sickness to the player after they recall, similar to when a player dies.
The above will reduce the use of ‘recall’ by players and resolves all the arguments against ‘recall’ but one, and that is the reduced danger from hostiles.

For this I would argue that without some form of fast travel, trade in the game will actually be reduced to a bare minimum as it will become too much of a hassle traveling half way around the world (realistically players will meet in the starting city) and then traveling back. Instead players will either produce what they need themselves, or go without. Trade exists when one party finds it easier to acquire goods from someone else rather than producing it themselves. So the best method of ensuring ‘targets’ is to ensure a healthy trading system by making travel easier. Having ‘recall’ means that ‘targets’ still have to travel to a destination with either items or currency, so as in the real world, most ‘road agents’ will live just outside popular trading destinations.

Finally, many folks have expressed a desire for a ‘church’ type building. I’d recommend having one that requires lots of metals (copper, silver, gold). For a benefit of having a church, I would add a luck bonus to every guild member when they are within the realm claim.

I am sure that some of this has been previously suggested by other players. Apologies for not remembering who and where, but your ideas were clearly good enough to cement within my subconscious. For those who disagree with the above, please post your reasoned arguments along with your view point.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Jade
Zealous Believer

Re: How To Update Piety and Resolve Recall/Homecoming

Post by Jade » 15 Apr 2017, 20:20

Didn't know you were working on this, but got to say I love everything mentioned.

The game defo needs a church building that offers a bonus, much like Darkfall did really.

Wulfstar
Zealous Believer

Post by Wulfstar » 16 Apr 2017, 02:04

I like those proposed changes. It makes a lot more sense. And yes please, we NEED a Church building!

Brother

Post by Brother » 16 Apr 2017, 14:58

I'm hugely in favor of everything above. Having "recall" separate from piety makes a ton of sense, especially with the 30 minute cooldown.

The one thing I'd modify - so long as we're continuing with wishful thinking - is that I'd love to see three separate models for churches. Chapel (Construction), Church (Masonry), and Cathedral (Architecture) each with increasing alignment or luck bonuses to those who use it after the "Cardinal" or the "Pope" presents a sermon - identical to the mentoring/school mechanic.

I know the devs are fully aware of the church request as it's been on the voted features page since as early as 2015, but the trick now is somehow getting them to see your other ideas. Maybe you could tactfully craft something into the FAQ? That's the only thread that's guaranteed to get a devs eyes - but I'm sure you know that as well as I do :)

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 16 Apr 2017, 15:27

Brother wrote:I'm hugely in favor of everything above. Having "recall" separate from piety makes a ton of sense, especially with the 30 minute cooldown.

The one thing I'd modify - so long as we're continuing with wishful thinking - is that I'd love to see three separate models for churches. Chapel (Construction), Church (Masonry), and Cathedral (Architecture) each with increasing alignment or luck bonuses to those who use it after the "Cardinal" or the "Pope" presents a sermon - identical to the mentoring/school mechanic.

I know the devs are fully aware of the church request as it's been on the voted features page since as early as 2015, but the trick now is somehow getting them to see your other ideas. Maybe you could tactfully craft something into the FAQ? That's the only thread that's guaranteed to get a devs eyes - but I'm sure you know that as well as I do :)

Going to disagree with you on a couple points. I would not call this wishful thinking or that the FAQ is the only thread that the devs read. I've seen numerous player ideas get implemented, even some of my own. They just don't comment in most threads, and given how every thing the write is considered to be a binding contract by a lot of players, who can blame them?

I think I read your ideas for the three church types before, and I kinda like them, but what type of bonuses should they grant? I think I'd like the idea better if they granted different bonuses, but only one could be active at any time. I think three stacked bonuses would be too much

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 16 Apr 2017, 20:14

Love this idea. Would be a great way to balance both piety and homecoming as a whole in the gameworld

Nothing_Personal
Zealous Believer

Post by Nothing_Personal » 17 Apr 2017, 01:18

Azzerhoden wrote:
Brother wrote:I'm hugely in favor of everything above. Having "recall" separate from piety makes a ton of sense, especially with the 30 minute cooldown.

Going to disagree with you on a couple points. I would not call this wishful thinking or that the FAQ is the only thread that the devs read. I've seen numerous player ideas get implemented, even some of my own. They just don't comment in most threads, and given how every thing the write is considered to be a binding contract by a lot of players, who can blame them?

I think I read your ideas for the three church types before, and I kinda like them, but what type of bonuses should they grant? I think I'd like the idea better if they granted different bonuses, but only one could be active at any time. I think three stacked bonuses would be too much

Why not just have the Church building behave sort of as a monument, where it can be upgraded instead of destroying/building a better one? It can be the same foundation size and just get taller....

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 20 Apr 2017, 22:01

It unanimous. All active LIF players like this new system. Please implemented ASAP. ;)

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 22 Apr 2017, 14:56

the prayer is changing :)

Are you sure you want to Pray for Homecoming? The Gods will return you home along with everything you have equipped, but all items carried will be left behind.

I believe it will be in the next mmo test :)
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 22 Apr 2017, 15:02

Khan- wrote:the prayer is changing :)

Are you sure you want to Pray for Homecoming? The Gods will return you home along with everything you have equipped, but all items carried will be left behind.

Is that from YO?

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 22 Apr 2017, 15:04

it's from translation ;) added something like an hour ago

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 22 Apr 2017, 15:10

Khan- wrote:it's from translation ;) added something like an hour ago

Translation from what. Game code? Discord?

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 22 Apr 2017, 15:11

.... official translation site from 2015 : http://translate.lifeisfeudal.com/ Oo

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 22 Apr 2017, 15:16

Khan- wrote:.... official translation site from 2015 : http://translate.lifeisfeudal.com/ Oo

Ahh, thanks for the info. That seems kinda old though, like something they were thinking of implementing but didn't. Have to save it would seem kinda weird to recall with gear but without backpack items. Its also sounds like an attempt at a quick fix rather that a fundamental design change. Kinda like the timers we have now.

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 22 Apr 2017, 15:37

Interesting, I remember dropping such idea a month ago :D
mmo-tests-interactive-faq-t19456/page420/#p98238

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 22 Apr 2017, 16:04

Sharana wrote:

Interesting, I remember dropping such idea a month ago :D
mmo-tests-interactive-faq-t19456/page420/#p98238

I remember reading it. But the date is from 2015. Unless I am misreading or there was a typo.

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 22 Apr 2017, 16:22

er... the translation site is up since 2015 but the line I quoted was added few hours ago Oo
it will be added to the game in a futur patch, I believe in the MMO test incoming this week

Burne109
Zealous Believer

Post by Burne109 » 22 Apr 2017, 17:50

oh geez.. no backpack items... it should strip you naked too not just that.

Why allow a raiding party to run down.. raid then port home safely with their equipped armor / weps. :evil:

Just punishing the people who have to travel to get supplies isn't good.

It does sound like something they'd do tho.. the whole.. night time scandal, oh well now you can't use gamma, har har.

Dragmar
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragmar » 22 Apr 2017, 20:25

Burne109 wrote:Why allow a raiding party to run down.. raid then port home safely with their equipped armor / weps. :evil:

What's the point of a raiding party if you can't get any loot?

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 22 Apr 2017, 20:54

Dragmar wrote:
What's the point of a raiding party if you can't get any loot?

I think its more that if you pull off a raid, you gotta haul it home instead of poofing your way instantly however many kilometres back to base

BericDondarrion1
True Believer

Post by BericDondarrion1 » 23 Apr 2017, 12:56

Do devs read suggestions?

Amberchild
Zealous Believer

Post by Amberchild » 23 Apr 2017, 15:38

well if you look at the modified recall , you recall with only equipped items i would say yes

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 23 Apr 2017, 16:42

Amberchild wrote:well if you look at the modified recall , you recall with only equipped items i would say yes

That actually makes no sense to me at all.

Nor does it make any sense to to make this kind of a change without having the other transportation options in the game. If the idea is to test the game I would think you would want to encourage people moving around the world.

Testing this small of a change to piety can easily be done in YO

Return to Suggestions and Ideas