pvp and combat system...

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Robo9104
Banned

pvp and combat system...

Post by Robo9104 » 17 Dec 2017, 08:27

HI im looking to give some constructive critisims here and some suggestions, currently the combat system in this game in my opinion is the least skillful and most dull and unsatisfying real time combat system i have ever seen. I come from chivalry and mount and blade so thats wat im used to. When i see 2 people with equal length weapons/2 handed weapons engage i mostly see hit trades/both player strike each other at the same time altho rarley 1 of the 2 miss somehow. If you combo u gunna have to hit trade ,even tho you do more damage, hit trading is not skilfull and this is dull and boring combat. If u parry the enemy he can still hit you right after you parry and start you're swing and you hit trade. The parry part is skillful but the game is made so it's useless and you take to much damage from the parry and still hit trade, you can do a special move after you parry wich does more damage but its still going to be a hit trade, MY SUGGESTION IS make it so when u parry you're opponent it stuns him every time enough that if u start a swing right away with say a 2 handed sword then he cant swing and hit trade with u, his only option should be to try and parry your blow or maybe try to run and dodge it, wich the run dodge shouldnt work most of the time if u run at him and swing if he try's to run and that right there would make the combat fun and skillful, thats what i hope the developers implement, because currently people just hit trade or try to get a hit in and run off really quickly wich ussualy result in a hit trade anyway. The games combat should not be about who has better armor and more health and a better weapon, those should be factors but true player skill should be the number 1 factor of who will win. this current system, of pvp is so unstatisfying that im thinking of becoming an archer main and getting good at shooting the bow so i can at least feel good when i land a hit knowing that it takes skill to hit a moving target. PLEASE implement what i said above about the parry. Developers please do this please do something to fix hit trading. or just change the combat somehow to make it more of a battle between skill instead of better armor,weapon and more health wins. Since the only other thing to do other than build and grind is pvp and the pvp should be skillful and fun

Isin

Re: pvp and combat system...

Post by Isin » 17 Dec 2017, 13:12

yes combat is a joke. Something will have to be done once they fix the actual game.

Edmundsalan1

Post by Edmundsalan1 » 17 Dec 2017, 14:05

One thing that might work for you guys is to parry multiple swings, assuming he is going for an all out attack, let him wear out most of his stamina, then go on the offensive. Before you stam out, back away and parry again to regain stamina. If more people do this, you might be able to land more hits and do more damage, and force people to stop just running up and going for all out attacks, and force you to react to the other player more and less hit trading.

I'm not saying that the combat system doesn't need work at all by the way, I'm just saying that perhaps you can take advantage of the fact that most people just run up and swing as fast as they can. having an idea of how many all out swings of the weapon they are using it takes for them to stam out is also a player skill that can make a difference, as you can begin your attack right when they are low on stamina.

Archery is definitely a thing too, and how/where you chose to fight as a group makes a difference. Forcing your enemy's melee to engage your melee at a choke point, whilst your archers rain arrows on them is also a thing, so in any battle that is more than a 1v1, the ability to gain the advantage using cover, focused fire, etc is also potentially important. If for instance its a 2v2 melee fight, focusing on 1 guy with both of your guys till that guy is down quickly turns it into a 2v1, and if the less wounded of the 2 makes sure he has the last guys attention while the wounded guy assists at that point can definitely ensure both of your guys survive...

So yes, combat can be fixed so that more player skill can make more of a difference, but there are definitely ways to apply planning and experience to tip things into your favor.

Sleep

Post by Sleep » 17 Dec 2017, 15:13

Melee fight usually looks like jousting on foot. They hold LMB, then run to their target, hit (and getting hit), turn around, run away and repeat. This is not how skillful or fun fight looks like.
One problem here is that you can hold LMB as long as you wish and release at any time while parrying has a limited time window, slows you down, and you should start parrying before the enemy releases LMB and high ping makes it even worse. Essentially parrying now is gambling which is neither skillful nor fun/rewarding.
Another problem is clunky combat animations (how you swing the weapon) which haven't changed since alpha.
And they're balancing around current combat system which needs a lot of work if not a complete rework. Hopefully they'll start working on combat mechanics once they're done with perfomance issues and major bugs.

Skuf
Devoted Believer

Post by Skuf » 18 Dec 2017, 04:30

Use paragraphs.

Stop watching new players trying to fight and watch veteran PVPers fight, you'll get a better appreciation for the combat system. I can guarantee you that if you went head to head with a veteran PVPer in this you'd die, you might land one lucky hit.
Instead of crying learn to terraform to deter raiders.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 18 Dec 2017, 04:47

Skuf wrote:Stop watching new players trying to fight and watch veteran PVPers fight

Either there are no veteran PVPer videos on yutube, or it is still a hit&run fest.
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Books for the people! - a client mod to let you write books and messages

Lord_Sitruc
True Believer

Post by Lord_Sitruc » 18 Dec 2017, 15:51

The combat system is pretty boss already, I will agree the parrying needs some work, but it is very easy to not trade blows like op is suggesting.

Also if your only watching 2h pvp then more of it will look like "jousting" but just as much of that is to get the other person out of position so someone can get a flank hit on them, its also to test stam management of your enemy. Believe me as a sword and board, the last thing I will be doing is "jousting" And if your a 2h please try and "joust" with me, I will take that free hit every time.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 18 Dec 2017, 16:14

A lot of people dont realize the little things in an actual PVP fight one vs one that happen in game between vets.

Most of the noobs I run into come sprinting at me with the weapon cocked back ready to swing then swing and run out of stamina. I then pace myself hitting them in the head with my war axe.

People dont know that your hit box moves with your character, so if you lean back your head moves back... if you look down your head goes forward and low.

I can turn and take blows on my shield without even blocking in a fight. These fights are decided in one maybe two hits.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Return to General Discussion