Running away

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

Valverrin

Running away

Post by Valverrin » 21 Feb 2018, 06:06

Is too easy!

A guy in combat mode cant move as fast as one in regular mode. Even if they have similar speed attacker still has to switch to combat mode to strike and that's when runner gets speed advantage. As long as runner has enough health he can get enough distance to retreat safely. Because of that switching to regular mode for repositioning is used too often in combat.

I suggest implementing at least one feature from below or something similar to make combat feel more fluid and natural:

1) If you take damage then you should be automatically put into a combat stance.

2) If you take damage while in combat stance you can't leave it for at least X seconds.

3) If you take damage while in regular stance you are slowed down by X % for X seconds.

The main idea is to make combatants commit themselves to the process. If you are in a fight you should fight, not pace back and forth sheathing and unsheathing a weapon. The only way out should be usage of the "Flee" ability and it should have a cooldown of at least 10 minutes or more.

Extraterrestial_Annie

Re: Running away

Post by Extraterrestial_Annie » 21 Feb 2018, 07:06

Well, the existing options include riding a horse to catch the runner, ranged attacks and not sure about "Coward!" but "You are mine!" should work too. The way you are suggesting this would be solved is both unrealistic and unfair as it would result in ranged weapon users to mainly fight with their sidearm.

Even now it seems to be more effective for an archer to have at least a one handed sword to use. However, you need be much more skilled in combat with only a one handed compared to any pure melee fighter.

Valverrin

Post by Valverrin » 21 Feb 2018, 08:13

"Coward" is crap for now: may not work, opponent doest fall but has a small chance to stay in place for like a second and then run again, targeting in 3P view is broken.

Yes, having a bow or a horse helps. But that doesn't solve the main issue.

It's not about someone who simply runs away because he doesn't want to fight. It's about almost every combatant (myself included) who stance hop to acquire better position on the field. Like you got too bold and are flanked by two or three guys? Np, just disengage combat stance and get back to your unit's position. Received a hit in the back while running? Np, still have hp left and he's slower than me now that he's in combat mode. Like... do I really need to say how silly it looks when a rider who was knocked off his horse just runs back to it most of the time?

Ranged weapon users should use their weapons from... range and have cover of melee infantry.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 21 Feb 2018, 14:27

It is bad, but not that bad.

If you want to catch people who run away, wear lighter gear. I see to many people trying to run someone down when they have 20AGI, and have equipped a spear, two handed axe, sword, and a knife in half plate. So their speed is like 85. When I go into a fight my speed is 95-98. And that is WITH armor and weapons.

I have no problems running down most people in armor.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Return to Feedback Section