Slow during windup/attack.

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Sleep

Slow during windup/attack.

Post by Sleep » 06 Apr 2017, 23:04

Simple change: you move 15% slower while holding LMB (windup) or attacking.
More complex: amount of slow depends on weapon you're using. For example 10% for onehanders, 15% for twohanders, 25% for bows.

Why? Seems like having too much mobility during attack makes fights look like jousting on foot (both opponets run to each other while holding LMB and try to hit and dodge) and therefore fighting feels clunky and floaty sometimes. With such a change, a fight would look like a fight and not like running in circles, hopefully . Also it would fix archers who can run around while shooting (if this is still an issue).
By the way, such mechanics is used in chivalry:mw and working out well.

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Re: Slow during windup/attack.

Post by Hallegra » 16 Apr 2017, 20:34

While I agree with the "foot jousting", I am concerned that this would mean you could never catch an enemy moving away from you as by wanting to attack you are therefore slowed. Also, your stamina loss from movement is increased when charging an attack in an attempt to balance so there's that.

I would propose an alternative solution being a general slowing of player speed, as the patch that implemented footwear seemed to actually increase playerspeed by 10%.

On a side note, they've made it so archers need to draw their bows back for longer in order to correctly fire, which is apparently contributing to reducing kiting. I'm very up for reducing movespeed during ranged weapon draw, however

BinarySloth
True Believer

Post by BinarySloth » 11 May 2017, 01:43

I personally think this would take away what is unique about this game's combat. This game is very heavily focused on good player movement and this would effectively remove this.

JohnValentine
Zealous Believer

Post by JohnValentine » 11 May 2017, 04:50

Sleep wrote: Seems like having too much mobility during attack makes fights look like jousting on foot (both opponets run to each other while holding LMB and try to hit and dodge) and therefore fighting feels clunky and floaty sometimes.

If you're hunting for more realistic combat, missing the heart of the issue. Players jump around like Muhammed Ali, because getting crippled/fractured is a novelty. In the real world, getting crippled or worn out, is a natural byproduct of getting your tail handed to you.

LIF's combat system seems modeled off some responsible PvP principles that I think a large portion of gamers have gotten used to. Bluntly, the average gamer gets frustrated when games are too realistic. The general population has gotten used to this Hollywood action movie sort of combat.

Problem is, it has to feel realistic to fit the narrative of the game. Otherwise the gameplay just feels.. silly. Like joisting in circles on foot. And that's the great conundrum, how do you create a game that isn't realistic because that's too brutal, while making it realistic enough to not feel silly.

IMO? Either eat the bullet and go brutal realistic (like DayZ), or go the COD/BF route and blatantly have your fictional flavor. Standing in the middle ground is just a headache.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas