Terraforming Frustration

General discussion about Life is Feudal: Forest Village

Zztong

Terraforming Frustration

Post by Zztong » 28 Aug 2016, 18:14

I'm finding it kind of hard to get terraforming under control. Sometimes I end up placing an order for terraforming that isn't what I had in mind. There doesn't seem to be a way to cancel or abandon the work.

So right now I'm staring at a 5x5 order to level terrain. I actually wanted that to be bigger, but in trying to get the entire area situated I somehow placed order just to work on that 5x5 plot. I can target that order and look at it, change people assigned, and pause it... but I cannot find a way to remove the order. And that order blocks me from putting in a different order.

Terraforming is frustrating so far.

Zztong

Re: Terraforming Frustration

Post by Zztong » 28 Aug 2016, 22:39

I placed a chicken coop. The exit apparently faced too much of a slope and the little people couldn't get in or out. I wanted to terraform the land at the entrance, but the coop locks down the squares around it, locking in the slope.

LadyCaticorn

Post by LadyCaticorn » 29 Aug 2016, 20:39

If you want to cancel the terraforming, you need to use the demolish building option. I can't remember which tab that's under, but it's a button in all the other building options and info displays, etc. menu. This is the only way to demolish anything, btw.

I only try to lay out my terraforming plan while paused because I can and will mess it up about 100 times before I get something passable. It never quite turns out how I hoped, but I think that's impossible, anyways. Terraforming will always look ugly, imo.

You need to hold the mouse down and drag the box out to get a bigger size. Once you get the right size in the right place, you're not done yet because you have to adjust the height, which you do just by moving your mouse up or down. You can still move around, zoom in, and hold down right mouse button to pan around while in this mode so you can get a better angle while planning the heights. It just takes a little practice to get the hang of it.

Sorry if I explained things poorly and what I said doesn't make sense. I tried. xD

KarasuTheLazy

Post by KarasuTheLazy » 02 Sep 2016, 04:58

Yea its a complete pain at first. I only ever use raise/lower, as flatten seems pretty useless. I also use hills map so I can just always flatten, and always go way over what I need to avoid the problem of accidentally blocking one of my buildings.

The cool thing is that if you find you have made a mistake after the work is finished, you can terraform the same plot of land and attempt to correct it.

Tyleerb

Post by Tyleerb » 22 Sep 2016, 18:08

I use level/flatten for large chunks of virgin land, I've been doing it in chunks of about 70-80 man-hours of labor and its been working great.

If I need to make small adjustments to the borders or if some piece of land just needs a little fix I use raise/lower and make sure that I examine it from all angles before I give the go order.

I've found slop extremely helpful too to allow access to my newly "leveled" terrain.

As LadyCaticorn said you can use the demolish building to cancel (found in the general tab, the first one) and you can watch the progress, like any other build order, by just clicking in the area you ordered the work.

My complaint / suggestion with terraforming relates to the size and available placement. I would like to be able to raise/lower just one square instead of having to do 5x5...sometimes you just need that one corner square to be added to fit a building in but you can't move just one square. This actually abuts my placement issue.... why can't we terraform coastline or 1-5 tiles into the water. It's absurd to think people could not pile dirt into the water and work their way out onto it pushing the land out as they go, make it take double time or additional resources (wood).

Return to General Discussion