Combat mechanics experiment #1249375

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Do you like that combat mechanics draft or not?

Poll ended at 31 Aug 2017, 16:26

Yes, let's go for it!
31%
No, I don't like it at all.
55%
I'm not sure
14%

Total votes : 96

Bobik
Project Leader

Combat mechanics experiment #1249375

Post by Bobik » 24 Aug 2017, 16:26

Hey guys!

We've conducted one small experiment with a combat system today. We want you to do the same experiment and tell us about your opinion.

There is a file in the attachment. You should paste it BOTH on the server and client folders of LiF:YO in steam: \art\datablocks\weapons
That file tweaks combat in the following way, that you cannot hold your attack charged infinitely and can also make a quick swing. So, basically, you can make a quick swing, or you can charge it for a limited amount of time, but if you charge it too long - attack will be triggered.

There IS NO damage calculation or other changes in that file. So you can only imagine :D that we will increase damage and wounds/fractures chance if you have charged and timed your attack properly and will lower damage of fast spam attacks.
Yet, fast attacks will be good for combos. And yes, combos will look VERY OP now, since there is no prefire or recoil before and after attacks and you can spam it very fast. It will be fixed in a final system if we will decide to follow this way.

We need your opinion about how do you feel such combat mechanics and do you think if it is worthy to follow that way or we should scrap the idea. Leave your opinions here, please!

P.S. Make sure that you're NOT testing these mechanics while GM mode is activated. It is ok to add weapons via GM, but just don't forget to disable it during tests
Attachments
LiFWeapons.cs
You should paste it BOTH on the server and client folders: \art\datablocks\weapons
(86.61 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times

Elindor
True Believer

Re: Combat mechanics experiment #1249375

Post by Elindor » 24 Aug 2017, 16:55

I think GV (Gloria Victis) employs a similar mechanic. I haven't tested it yet, but it makes sense to me on paper.

Subtext
Zealous Believer

Post by Subtext » 24 Aug 2017, 17:23

I like the concept but I've been lobbying for it before, so no wonders there.

If you implement the system, make sure there is a noticeable minimum charge and consider balancing damage in a way that the current damage would roughly be achieved when midway between minimum and maximum charge.

The animations seemed to be somewhat off as well. What happened in extreme cases was the other guy with a broadaxe walking past me and me receiving a ton of damage without even seeing the animation (or just a short flicker)

Also it should be considered not to do that with weapons like pikes

That being said, I think following that system would be very good and make combat a lot more exciting...and parrying a lot more valuable as well.

Ramboyaa
True Believer

Post by Ramboyaa » 24 Aug 2017, 17:54

I like the idea of charged attacks, but the speed of attacks should remain the same imo.

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 24 Aug 2017, 18:02

Cool stuff, now the feedback :

I just tested it on my YO test server, two things seems bugged :

-the auto release of the attack work fine, BUT, if you hold you mouse button, the attack swing but deal no damage until you release you mouse button. It mean that you can hold you mouse button forever like 10 minutes and then walk close to a target and release the button to deal the damage of your last attack, aiming where you want to in the process.

- i don't know if it's related to the file change, but the knight sword is now a two handed sword AND a one handed (with shield) but is only wearable on the back weapon slots, it has also double in size and is now a giant sword useable one or both hands, this is way OP :%)

- all directionnal arrows for mouse attacks direction are now reversed.
Last edited by Baal on 24 Aug 2017, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

Asimov

Post by Asimov » 24 Aug 2017, 18:13

I really do like this idea. It COULD make melee fighting more complicated. But as i see it after testing it, it boils down to the difference in damage between the fast and the slow swing.
If the fast swing will not do very very low damage compared to the slow swing (like 1/10), the game will end up in a straight forward hack and slash game, since the slow swing is so easy to block when you see in coming a mile away, so why ever use it, unless the enemy is out of stamina?

The less skilled fighters will most likely go for the fast swing and get some easy profit, but that should never be more OP then a skilled fighter practising the slow swing but get a much better profit.
So make sure that practising pay off well. Dont make this another 1 click button like the lancer is now

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 24 Aug 2017, 18:28

Asimov wrote:If the fast swing will not do very very low damage compared to the slow swing (like 1/10), the game will end up in a straight forward hack and slash game, since the slow swing is so easy to block when you see in coming a mile away, so why ever use it, unless the enemy is out of stamina?

I share the same thought, the slow attack seem to be too slow now, it need a little balanced and raise a little the speed.

Frang
True Believer

Post by Frang » 24 Aug 2017, 18:37

I like the general idea but feel that there should be other factors like stats like STR or Willpower.

Dragonis4
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragonis4 » 24 Aug 2017, 18:48

Go for it, adds more depth to combat

LiFKarl
Beta Tester

Post by LiFKarl » 24 Aug 2017, 18:49

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 24 Aug 2017, 18:53

Many horses have suffer today...

It's a cool idea, if the quick attacks deal less damage than the slow attack it's fine, maybe after that combat will be more interesting because they last longer if we are less likely to die after 3 slashes.

Dragonis4
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragonis4 » 24 Aug 2017, 18:56

there is no point comparing it, devs stated there is no safeguards for spamming attack implemented, it's just a concept of being able to swing faster or slower for less or more damage

Bran34
Beta Tester

Post by Bran34 » 24 Aug 2017, 18:59

swing should be same speed whether you charged or not. I have always felt that weapons swung way too slowly in this game. Chargeup should still take time but the actual swinging of the weapon should be relatively fast.

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 24 Aug 2017, 19:04

But remember in this game combats are mainly supposed to be played in organised group formation. The slow big damage's slash should be used more on an opponant by surprise !

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 24 Aug 2017, 19:09

I like the idea on paper... but realistically no one in a fight doesnt swing with full intent of causing maximum amount of damage with a weapon.

I know when I swing a sword in armor I am trying to disable my opponent. (Yes I fight in armor and not larping).

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 24 Aug 2017, 19:50

As far as I see, that seems that half of the posters here forgot to put this file on the server side. :crazy:

Nemanjasyky
True Believer

Post by Nemanjasyky » 24 Aug 2017, 19:55

I like it :D go for it :good: :good:

Nothing_Personal
Zealous Believer

Post by Nothing_Personal » 24 Aug 2017, 20:28

I think it's silly to bring about a change like this so close to release. If this is something they wanted in they should have tried it months ago.

How about fixing lancing so it isn't so OP.

How about a horse drawn cart?

How about a working sawmill?

Seems like a waste of dev time to work on this stuff that wasn't broken to start with.

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 24 Aug 2017, 20:29

I personally voted "NO", because I don't like the how the weapon releases. In GV for example you need to time for max damage, but it won't just randomly release the hit after the bar is done, it will just drop and if you release (your choice) it will just be minimal damage. Here in LiF such change just leads to auto releases of the weapon - be it melee or lance.

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 24 Aug 2017, 20:39

Bobik wrote:As far as I see, that seems that half of the posters here forgot to put this file on the server side. :crazy:

I did but it's on the folder with a file with the same name but with a .cs.dso extension.

it's an issue ?

BallsofSteel
Zealous Believer

Post by BallsofSteel » 24 Aug 2017, 20:39

There is no reason to remake the way combat functions this close to launch. I feel that this will dishearten returning players and alienate existing ones. Not only would this not balance the game, it would just create a new meta. I sincerely hope that you are just playing around with combat mechanics and realize that there is a lot more that you should take into consideration before doing something like this.
Last edited by BallsofSteel on 24 Aug 2017, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 24 Aug 2017, 21:05

I feel like there is a lot of other stuff to work on at the moment honestly. Fixing lances / boar spear / etc. (for just combat alone)
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 24 Aug 2017, 22:01

Bobik wrote:As far as I see, that seems that half of the posters here forgot to put this file on the server side. :crazy:

I dont have YO.

So there is that.

But the issue I have with it is, it is to fake, arcadey. Not at all realistic. People dont have to "power" up an attack to hit harder. A trained swordsman can hit just as hard with a quick fast flat snap to the side of the head of his target, as he could if he decided to take his time on the shot. If anything it would be more damaging when it is fast. Less time for the opponent to react.

JackStark
Zealous Believer

Post by JackStark » 24 Aug 2017, 22:02

these changes are so bad, like I feel like you guys are trying to kill the community. I just lost so much faith in the game. these changes would kill EA.

just fix boar spear, stop trying to remake the game. everyone bought into the mmo because they like how it is.. we just want optimization, stop going down the rabbit hole with all these reworks man...

not being able to hold the charge on a glaive, and other weapons is just annoying when fighting.

FOCUS
Last edited by JackStark on 24 Aug 2017, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 24 Aug 2017, 22:55

"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 24 Aug 2017, 23:02

—Ishamael

JackStark
Zealous Believer

Post by JackStark » 24 Aug 2017, 23:10

RIP LIF 2017

embrace the new game, Link is Feudal: Ocarina of Wasting Time

Jorgematt22
Zealous Believer

Post by Jorgematt22 » 25 Aug 2017, 10:06

I Like the ideia

Lustmord
Beta Tester

Post by Lustmord » 25 Aug 2017, 11:15

This is a step in the right direction. The idea is good but the execution needs more work.

1. The attacks are too fast, there should be a prefire and recoil animation so attacks could look fluent. The fastest attack should be around ~0.4-0.5s for the lightest weapon in game. The speed of the fastest attack should depend on the weight of the weapon. So, there won't be 0.5 second attacks with a maul for example.
2. The slow attack (hold). The animation on this is too obvious, making the attack useless. Currently the attack is slowed down during the beginning of the prefire animation, but it should be slowed down during the end of the prefire animation, right before the release of the attack. The time that the slow attack can be executed should depend on the weight of the weapon. So the slow attack on the scimitar will be faster than on a maul for example. The damage of the slow attack should depend on the time the attack is charged BUT it should have a sweet spot, meaning NO auto release. If the attack is charged too long - the damage falls off considerably. (Gloria Victis example) Everything should look fluent.
3. The block activation is too long. The block duration is too long. The block activation should be faster to counter the fast attacks on reaction. The block duration should be lowered so that the slower attacks could counter the block spam. There should be a 0.5-1s cooldown between blocks (needs testing)
4. The combos. Currently combos are lowering the prefire animation for subsequent attacks in a combo. This should be balanced around fast attacks. So performing a combo should just give a bonus effect for the price of making the direction of your next attacks obvious for the opponent, but it should not give you imba unreactable attack speed.
5. Add feints to the mix.

Please don't listen to people that don't want to try a change in melee game. They are the ones that don't need these changes and don't care about them. They are the ones that stay on the walls or horses with their bows and poke each others holes with a lance. Try and experiment, everything can be rolled back if it doesn't work out good. The melee game currently is too primitive ,stupid and unfun to leave as it is.

Asimov

Post by Asimov » 25 Aug 2017, 13:15

Please don't listen to people that don't want to try a change in melee game. They are the ones that don't need these changes and don't care about them. They are the ones that stay on the walls or horses with their bows and poke each others holes with a lance. Try and experiment, everything can be rolled back if it doesn't work out good. The melee game currently is too primitive ,stupid and unfun to leave as it is.

Please do listen to everyone, otherwise why ask everyone ?

Return to General Discussion