Turning off Judgment Hour Town Claim Protection

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!

Eric.platenik

Turning off Judgment Hour Town Claim Protection

Post by Eric.platenik » 24 Dec 2017, 15:12

Judgment Hour is a time of the week when the belongings of a guild may be destroyed or sacked, meaning the guild must organize itself to defend its possession, making walls and defensive structures paying off.

Town Claim protection at Judgment Hour is, as I imagine, a way to protect smaller guilds from bigger evil guilds that want the total destruction of its smaller rivals. And it works fine to this end, indeed, preventing slaughters.

But at this last Saturday Judgment Hour what I see in the war my guild is involved was a bigger guild working to coordinate eight allies, all of them fruit of work and well done diplomacy, into a major attack against a medium guild that declared war on us 3 weeks ago which just had to log out to protect themselves. This is quite the opposite a JH should incentive.

We have something like 80 to 100 players marching into this guild lands. Arriving there, we confirmed what our scouts had alerted us of: the guild, far from being a small one, had 5 to 6 different guild claims, probably on the name of alt chars, and let everything they had inside their Town Claims or Private Claims. Most of it was not even protect by walls, since they knew that stuff could not be destroyed.

The problem is that, knowing that any of their stuff was not at risk, their entire guild log out at first sight of the enemy. At that 1 hour by week where the guild was suppose to defend itself, they had to do nothing. They did not need allies, they did not have to talk to us to cease war, they did not have to review the value of declaring war at us, they just log out and tomorrow will continue the guerrilla fighting, making one or another level 1 forever protected monument. At the same time, all our effort in diplomacy to join allies and war coordination of 100 players did not pay off. The opportunity to end a war and force peace in a major blow was gone by something that looks an exploit on smaller guilds protection used by a medium sized guild (50-80 players).

Ok, everybody may say we could place a siege totem to destroy their claim, but the costs are prohibitive (Vostaskus ingot) even to bigger guilds and simply do not pay off to destroy one monument that they can rebuild with no effort (remember, they are zerging level 1 monuments).

So, they declared war on a guild which, with its allies, is at least twice its size, and we can hit no blow that would mean to them a disadvantage of staying at war, since not even in the one hour they were suppose to defend they had to defend. They do not need to pledge for peace, they just have to sit and watch as we can do nothing ever. The war may endure forever, even though one side is more numerous, organized and dedicated to end it.

Summarizing the suggestion: during Judgment Hour, this one single hour in a week, turn off Town Claim Protection, so that guilds have to actively defend their claims and stuff and stop abusing on small guilds protection. It is not enough time for someone to lose everything it had, but it is enough time to the winning side make the losing side rethink about the value of being at war, making peace something that they may actually want. Because the way it is today, there is no penalty for them for being at war. For the small guild, it is an incentive to build walls and make alliances, do not engage on wars they can not win or even play the vassal role on a dominated land if they do not want to restart somewhere else. Because Life is Feudal and those were the options a small feud had.

Turning off Judgment Hour Town Claim protection is a way to make ending wars a good deal.

Hodo

Re: Turning off Judgment Hour Town Claim Protection

Post by Hodo » 26 Dec 2017, 14:37

This is why we need working Sieges and Instance Battles.

That should be a priority right next to server stability. Without sieges or instance battles you can not wage wars, real wars. More so since they removed the bark box-ladder system.

The whole game is now nothing but carebear lovefest nothing like the actual middle ages it attempts to replicate. Right now it is becoming Life is Frustration.

But maybe soon we will have working siege mechanics and be able to PVP more than just during Judgement hours and random one off encounters in the wild.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Fricco

Post by Fricco » 08 Feb 2018, 13:32

well, when adding siege battles with destructive town claims in the way you want it, this game will be dead.
A great guild will be able to destroy a max amount of 4 smaller guilds in ONE week.

Again...1 guild destroys 4 smaller ones in 1 week(no matter if they destroy just 1 or 2 guilds a week or two)

now think about the effort and time even smaller guilds invested to build up their castle/city/village.

do you really think the member of the smaller guilds will begin to build a new claim? OF COURSE NOT

maybe a few yes but still it will be a very low percentage like around 5 to 10% ( this is not a random number, i have asked several people of my guild and allied guilds)

so then there will be some new content for great guilds, like an endgame. eg the greatest guilds vs the second greatest guild. i congratulate the winner! now u r completely allone on this server, noone to raid, noone to trade with, nothing to be in fear of. (this makes the game fun not just for me)

at the latest now the majority of member of the great guilds will leave because its getting boring as hell

i promise you, inventing complete destruction of town claims with no regularities like you want it, will be the end of the game...

now i want to think about how it is possible to combine the theory of adding destroyable townclaims and thus ensuring fun of great guilds with the continuation of small villages ensuring fun of smaller guilds.

1. paying double or more rent for your monument to ensure indestructibility of the town claim

2. inventing some kind of client state with paying taxes to the great guild

3.total destruction of the town claim but the small guild has to have the possibilty to build their claimon a different spot of the map (of course with SOME loss of material/houses

4. diplomacy

these are just 3 to 4 options to think about

if you know better ideas, feel free to add them, lets discuss this important topic.

from my point of fiew i can tell you, even without complete destruction of guilds nowadays, some guilds leave and have left the server (avalon) allready, because the power of great guilds (as i am part of one)

this is very sad not just for me, even i am not in danger of beeing raided and thus beeing very safe.

for me its fun to go out of the city and beeing in severe danger of enemies killing me, so i have to be careful what i do. this will only last when there are enemies around...destroying all of them is not the way keeping the funfactor allive

Extraterrestial_Annie

Post by Extraterrestial_Annie » 18 Feb 2018, 07:33

Hodo wrote:This is why we need working Sieges and Instance Battles.

That should be a priority right next to server stability. Without sieges or instance battles you can not wage wars, real wars. More so since they removed the bark box-ladder system.

The whole game is now nothing but carebear lovefest nothing like the actual middle ages it attempts to replicate. Right now it is becoming Life is Frustration.

But maybe soon we will have working siege mechanics and be able to PVP more than just during Judgement hours and random one off encounters in the wild.

If you can make a similar looking boxes out of bark and stand on a high stack of them with 50kg of extra weight I'll consider changing my view on this but the bark box-ladder was just an unrealistic exploit.

As for the actual issue the post describes, you leave me wondering why you're not destroying everything else they have within their claim? That should push them down for a bit at least.

And when it comes to the claim being easier to destroy I think they should just lower the cost of siege totems or just change them so that they are not using as much limited resources. Making it once a week for big guilds to mow down couple of small guilds and solo players would be plain stupid. It is extremely likely that there are enough people on every server who would rather just raze all they can instead of playing to the feudal system or letting others be in peace after destroying their claims the 3rd or 5th time, just because.

Return to Suggestions and Ideas