What is paying "upkeep"?

Welcome to the Life is Feudal: MMO community! Here you can ask your basic starters questions.

Janh.wiegmann

What is paying "upkeep"?

Post by Janh.wiegmann » 15 Jan 2018, 15:23

Hi there, i´m wondering about what it means to pay a "upkeep" for your claim ? ( anyway that i still understand the function of claims neither )
Rode of it in a lot post here in the forum and would like to know about it before getting to mainland.
Have an feudal afternoon! :Yahoo!:

Arrakis

Re: What is paying "upkeep"?

Post by Arrakis » 15 Jan 2018, 16:53

You need to feed your monument (Private Monument with coins only) in order to keep it standing. The more you expand your private claim, the more you will need to pay.

More details about creation of private claims can be found here: https://lifeisfeudal.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... onal-claim

Velius

Post by Velius » 15 Jan 2018, 19:55

Janh.wiegmann wrote:Hi there, i´m wondering about what it means to pay a "upkeep" for your claim ? ( anyway that i still understand the function of claims neither )
Rode of it in a lot post here in the forum and would like to know about it before getting to mainland.
Have an feudal afternoon! :Yahoo!:

In the most simple in-game, in-character terms it is a duty you pay to the king in return for being allotted a parcel of land to work.

To answer the inevitable follow-up question, one of the main reasons that personal claims are so much more expensive than guild claims is because private land ownership in the feudal era was nigh-unheard of until the rise of the merchant class towards its end. As such, only well-off persons of means and wealth could afford it. A craftsman in relative proximity to, and maintaining good trade relations with a prominent guild has a much better time maintaining a claim than a peasant out in the wilderness who will need to dedicate a larger portion of their time to staying afloat.

Janh.wiegmann

Post by Janh.wiegmann » 16 Jan 2018, 11:26

Arrakis wrote:You need to feed your monument (Private Monument with coins only) in order to keep it standing. The more you expand your private claim, the more you will need to pay.

More details about creation of private claims can be found here: https://lifeisfeudal.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... onal-claim

Ok, thanks a lot for your answer and info.
And once more i learned a bit more about this cool, but pretty complex game. XD
Have an feudal day!

Return to Newcomer Section