Hi, I am new here, so please be acceptable and read my suggestion before right out cancel it. Thanks.
I found a Suggestion, while flippen through the pages, which sparked my interesst, but in another way, than the creater had in mind.
I am refering to this suggestion: Player Created NPC Laborers/Helpers/Guards/Etc.??
I agree, as clearly said in the first replay that "Usefull" NPC are a no go, since it torpeds the concept of the game.
However... NPCs that are only for show (or simplify things), would be nice... at least now in "Your Own", it appears to be rather lonely sometimes... So an NPC as waiter in a Tavern, a young helper in the smith and so on, would be nice. It would liven up the world.
Same goes for a shop. Perhaps the player who finishes certain buildings is able to "contract" an NPC for show. I do see some potential in this, but as I said: NO towards USEFULL NPCs.
Perhaps that is something for later Patches or addons. At least, if you could also interact with them to a degree. Here are some suggestion what could it be like, with non-usfule NPCs:
- The Waiter in a Tavern could sell you drinks and food (at a price set beforehand), which have to be crafted by players and the money would either become the property of the one who finished the building/ contracted the NPC, or send to the guild (with a lose of a certain amount, since the NPC would be needed to be "payed"). This concept is also adaptable for other jobs with special buildings, or a new building called "shop".
- The young helper in the Smithe could tell you, which materials are still needed in the inventory of the smith for certain things to craft. Again, this could be applied to other crafting-jobs, besides Smith.
- A Farm-Helper could tell you by asking him how the next harvest is coming along, how long it will take before it is ready... All in a certain raduis around his set field.
- An obvious NPC Guard could be applyed to the corner of the claimed Territory, to aks for permission to enter, so that you do not need to wait for a real player to grant it. *this one is the furthest from a good Idea, since I do not know how this will work later on in the game*
- You could also "marry" an NPC, which would require you to get your own house, and so on. Perhaps even children are thinkable and a family would certainly require a lot of attention from the Player, providing a lot more entertainment in the long run.
- Certain NPCs would also seem required for a castle, like a Herold.
How would the NPCs work?
Well there are certainly some requirements, that would be needed to fullfill. And I would also differ for a Player to contract an NPC or a Guild.
However certain aspects should remain the same:
- An NPC can be contracted by anyone with acces to the Area or Building in question. Only a Guild-Master can contract an NPC for the Guild.
- NPCs can be set with whom they are allowed to interact in terms of their job. Only with the contractor, only the same Guild, friends, everyone.
- Contracting an NPC requires Money/Resources (perhaps both, or on the Resources side, at least food, perhaps even a free place as shelter), the working Place, where he also will be recruited (A certain Building like a Tavern, a Smith, or a field of a minimum length for Farmers and Forest-workers) and time before the NPC arrives, since it is more like setting up a "Helper Wanted" sign.
- NPCs can be killed, with the same penelaty, as Slaying someone who has given up, since that is the only reaction the will do, once attacked or a War is delcared.
- NPCs need to be payed periodically.
- NPCs must be easy to distinguish from real Players. Either by a certain Color of their Name (better if that would be bigger, than the curent onces for players and objects) or by lighting up when selectable.
- NPCs would move only within their workspace, perhaps one more field around.
- NPCs will not "work" during night-time.
- Customizing a NPC would be great, but at least selecting his Gender and race should be doable. Naming him has his ups and downs.
- NPCs will notify their contrator, if they can not paided from the current possesion (if possible, it should work automatically) and will leave if that happens at a nother intervall a second time, without beeing paid the earlier still requiered payment.
If that is nessecary in a MMO Version is a question the Beta would have to answer... I also admit, that I am asking alot, but at least for the private maps it would be GREAT and I am sure a lot of players on the interactive map would appreciat it as well.
What do you think about it? Is it even possible to implant?
I will await your responses, greetings Naird Blutfaust.