Post by SirWinston » 19 Mar 2014, 12:33

Anyone ever went to one of these ? Must be one hell of a show. :Yahoo!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A4-TIvKCNw
Spoiler

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: Battle of the nations

Post by Siegbert » 19 Mar 2014, 12:35

Damn, those guys are quick... and people want to tell me they can hardly move in full plate armor ^^

SirWinston
Alpha Tester

Post by SirWinston » 19 Mar 2014, 13:07

Siegbert wrote:Damn, those guys are quick... and people want to tell me they can hardly move in full plate armor ^^

Yeah but they are doing it in good conditions in this video. Take a look at outdoor battles in the summer you can see them getting tired and just hugging each others near exhaustion until one of them yields. :lol:
Spoiler

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 19 Mar 2014, 13:42

The most effective weapon and attack in that video was striking the head and neck area of the opponent with the edge of a shield.

Since all were wearing plate, blunt damage seemed to be the most effective damage type.

Keep in mind they weren't actually trying to kill each other so stabbing, piercing damage would have played a role if that were the case in actual combat.

I do see this as an effective representation of tournament style combat which was a major form of entertainment and allowed knights from different houses to gain stature and notoriety through victories at these tournaments.

Saxxon

Post by Saxxon » 19 Mar 2014, 13:57

Siegbert wrote:Damn, those guys are quick... and people want to tell me they can hardly move in full plate armor ^^

Middle ages plate was much thicker than what they had on.

These guys would be killed instantly in a joust.

This may not look exactly like armor from the middle ages but is statistically the same and no you will not be sprinting around and hopping right up when you get knocked down or de horsed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3-iCZvnQk

Proximo
Alpha Tester

Post by Proximo » 20 Mar 2014, 02:04

hahaha full contact plate armour sparring. As in all real life fights momentum and balance are the keys. Most effective tactic is just knocking people down. This is why shieldwalls and the phalanx have multiple ranks. The people in the back push forward and the entire line is shoulder to shoulder so nobody has anywhere to fall.

The chief use of the ancient greek hoplite phalanx was to literally push through your enemy and when they were broken up having six hoplites or more able to attack one target at a time with there spears. The three in front and the three behind them could all reach a target in the front of them.

Check 1:30 of the video where the two handed knight is just standing there taking sword blows to his helm and not wavering one bit before attacking. Steel plates are very hard to penetrate and the way the longsword was used to deliver a killing blow against plate would be to knock the man over then lean on the blade with the point on the chest until it is forced through. With a powerful swing or stab you could probably do it but when they are defending themselves it's very hard.

I've sparred before and in sports like boxing, exhaustion comes quickly especially if you over exert yourself like you would in a fight for your life. I've sparred with PVC pipe sword wrapped in foam for 2 hours straight and my arms were jelly. They almost had no weight to them at all. I can only imagine fighting a 6 hour battle with steel equipment.

When the Romans invaded Dacia I believe they fought a battle with so many numbers on both sides they had to agree to have a rest because both sides could no longer fight.

BTW I'm surprised crosschecking and shieldbashing the head and neck from behind are legal. The armour must be quite good because in Hockey you can break someones back or neck crosschecking the head or from behind.

Astapor

Post by Astapor » 14 Apr 2014, 16:38

pffff noobs. i can do much better than these guys, just give me a mouse and you'll see it.

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Post by Krevente » 15 Apr 2014, 02:27

A few of us in SSR actually participate in full steel combat. We also do HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) and SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) in which we fight out of several German 2-Handed Longsword manuals.

Rohaan is actually a certified Master in the German Longsword and is an instructor. He and I traveled to Sweden two years ago to compete in several tournaments. He's much more active on the steel fighting side of the house and I generally deal in large-scale SCA fights.

Unfortunately, a lot of the techniques of the medieval period are too dangerous to employ, but Saxxon's observation is right on the money. Most tactics back in the day actually involved pinning your opponent and attacking the joints in the armor to reach the flesh underneath. Depending on the era and region, most swords weren't used to penetrate the armor, but to target the joints.

Battle of the Nations rules are pretty liberal and lots of people get hurt at every fight, but their weapons are blunted and aren't made of the same material that medieval weapons would have been made out of to have a greater effect.

Crossbow bolts and longbow arrows were most effective at piercing from a distance while pikes and spear receiving a charge were the real danger to plated warriors.

German platemail is generally designed to receive the blow from a weapon and get caught in the fluted features of the armor. Milanese (Italian) style platemail is meant to force the blow to glance off the armor. Each fighting style actually compliments the design of the armor and further highlights the fact that the best thing humans do is figure out how to conduct warfare.

Danielb
Alpha Tester

Post by Danielb » 15 Apr 2014, 03:04

Certainly enjoyable to watch, and something different rather than the typical Boxing and MMA of late.

Return to Off Topic