A LOT of server and client optimizations in before the next MMO beta wave(1.1.3.1)

Everything you need to know about what’s happening in Life is Feudal.
Arrakis

A LOT of server and client optimizations in before the next MMO beta wave(1.1.3.1)

Post by Arrakis » 18 Aug 2016, 15:35

Life is Feudal: Your Own

Hey everyone,

Once again we want to thank our community for helping us to develop our game! Due to recent load tests that were performed along with our community members, we’ve managed to find some code that was not optimal. Fixing these code parts resulted in a significant server performance boost that can vary from 10% to 25%!

We’ve also implemented one of the highly-requested features by our community - an observe mode that can be used while running.

Patch notes (ver. 1.1.3.1):

New features and tweaks:
  • Implemented new Observe mode that can be enabled by hitting F3 (by default). You can now see terrain tiles altitude and block status while moving.
  • Buildings that were destroyed by decay or by siege damage now destroy all movable object on/inside those buildings. Items that were inside those buildings and movable containers are being dropped into ruins, but partially lost during collapse.
  • Server admins can now setup telnet remote connection to their server console by typing telnetSetParameters(#port#, "fullAccessPass", "readOnlyPass");
  • Updated wooden keep model

Bug fixes:
  • Managed to achieve a significant server side performance boost
  • Fixed a couple of model collision meshes to be more adequate
  • Fixed an overpowered “lance-slashing” combat technique that resulted in enormous amounts of damage
  • Creating screenshots should no longer slightly freeze your client

P.S. We’re still working hard with MMO bugs and fixes along with a new Guilds system that took us a bit longer than we’ve expected, to make it work properly. We hope that in a few weeks we will be ready to start wave #1 of the beta tests. Thanks for your patience and support!

Sharana
Beta Tester

Re: A LOT of server and client optimizations in before the next MMO beta wave(1.1.3.1)

Post by Sharana » 18 Aug 2016, 17:04

Thank you for the patch, but the lance (and not only lance, it's the speedbonus mechanic itself) is not yet fixed. It's great to finally act on the problem after so many reports since months, but it will need one more pass before the MMO. Locking the speedbonus at 80 gets rid of the stupid 500 damage hits with 1000+ speedbonus, but is still gamebreaking enough, because let me tell you it's nowhere near fun to wiggle that mouse in order to get that speedbonus, not to mention the fact that there are autoclickers who can do it for you. Why don't you just remove the speedbonus all together and make it dependant on the horse speed (faster is more damage but harder to hit) instead of mouse wiggling all over the screen?

As for the MMO - well it's good to hear that some progress is made, but few weeks means october at best. And that's for a wave 0 that was supposed to be "few days to couple of weeks". Next wave will be "few months" and with everything you've showed so far as timetables go that means at least 1 year. Many start to wonder if even Star Citizen will make it out earlier. Saying 2017 is fine, we all know how development is always slowed down by many factors, everyone can live with that. Repeating "Soon™" since March this year and completely ignoring all kind of timetables set by yourself with the words "Soon™" or "few more weeks" simply kills the community.
Last edited by Sharana on 18 Aug 2016, 17:59, edited 4 times in total.

Mahtafa
True Believer

Re: A LOT of server and client optimizations in before the next MMO beta wave(1.1.3.1)

Post by Mahtafa » 18 Aug 2016, 17:08

Well instead of just lowering the damage you can do with the lance you should just make it so that it breaks after 1 succesful hit, getting hit by a lance shouldnt be like getting hit with toothpick

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 18 Aug 2016, 17:10

Mahtafa wrote:Well instead of just lowering the damage you can do with the lance you should just make it so that it breaks after 1 succesful hit, getting hit by a lance shouldnt be like getting hit with toothpick

Worst idea ever - you never played as lancer I guess.

Mahtafa
True Believer

Post by Mahtafa » 18 Aug 2016, 17:19

It would be "realistic" and would bring balance to the force

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 18 Aug 2016, 17:29

Mahtafa wrote:It would be "realistic" and would bring balance to the force

Many "realistic" things have to be forgotten if you want to play game with other players (not SP like M&B) and make it fun. Who will have the fun if person 1 gets oneshotted by lance and person 2 after that hit is lancer (skillpoints in 400 skillcap) without a lance? I don't find archers realistic in the game, neither the plate armor or the "damage" (1h will take you out with 1 good hit, no need for more "damage" as 2h), but it's game mechanics to create gameplay.

Lancer dealing 50-60 damage to armored person and 80-90 to peasant is more then balanced wit about 40 speedbonus. Lock it there as hotfix and then rework the mechanic in the future. You should add the speed of the horse to the damage and not how fast you wiggle the mouse over your screen...

Patriot_eke
Zealous Believer

Post by Patriot_eke » 18 Aug 2016, 18:41

It's a lance. You're being skewered with a lance! Even if you are wearing plate, you should die horribly and quickly. I'll never understand the whining about lance damage. How about not fighting cavalry in the open? That's a much better idea.

I've fought with a spear before. With a sharpened point instead of a blunt one, I could easily run someone through with it depending on the armor they were wearing. Lamellar and plate would make the blow glance off more than likely, but any spear point biting into the armor would mean a very bad day for the wearer.

That's a spear. Now add the weight and speed of a horse to the equation. You're going to be squashed like a bug.

Laertes
Devoted Believer

Post by Laertes » 18 Aug 2016, 18:49

Mahtafa wrote:It would be "realistic" and would bring balance to the force

No - except for the special prepared training Lances, which shoudn´t do heavy damages to the valuable warriors.

It would be realistic, if you can´t handle it anymore after it penetrates a body (maybe if ya loose it/ it stucks into the ground) and you have to return to get it back. But I think it´s not the time and the right place (theme) to discuss this idea.

Morgarnus
True Believer

Post by Morgarnus » 18 Aug 2016, 19:09

Great Patch :)

Looking forward to the MMO but you need to fix the Armour its all broke no one can make anything.

Gordon der Eiserne
Devoted Believer

Post by Gordon der Eiserne » 18 Aug 2016, 19:22

Greet Job,

Thanks Team and we wait of the next Wave ;)

Greetings :beer:

Kilx1233
True Believer

Post by Kilx1233 » 18 Aug 2016, 20:23

I really hope wave #1 will actually come out in a few months as they said

Deus-X-Incognita

Post by Deus-X-Incognita » 18 Aug 2016, 21:06

That was quite the pile of crap you dumped on us with this.
German RP Server

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 18 Aug 2016, 22:39

I like the fact that the devs are paying attention to the needs of the community IE lancing speed bonuses. But this is not a fix at the moment. This caps the damage at over 100, which is rather ridiculous... Sure, players don't get hit for 300 anymore, but it's still a one-shot weapon.

I agree somewhat with mahtafa about making lances more fragile. Maybe make it so they break in 3 or 4 hits? That would also increase the importance of shields VS cavalry. Or maybe fix pikes?

Hallegra
Beta Tester

Post by Hallegra » 18 Aug 2016, 22:56

After seeing the new observe mode, I praise it as a godsend.

I like the new V limited to 180 degrees, but please include that in the patch notes next time for clarity's sake.

VasiLibero

Post by VasiLibero » 19 Aug 2016, 07:22

Hello, i m the admin of two servers LIF.After the latest patch ,we cant use the option of armorsmith on blacksmith shop.

Toren
True Believer

Post by Toren » 19 Aug 2016, 08:45

Gotta agree with Sharana on this one. Just implement a speed bonus based on player speeds and stop trying to work around the current one. Then you could readjust weapon damage for the new system (so that maybe a pike wouldn't do super high damage to a stationary target, etc.). But otherwise, thank you for doing something about combat. It still needs a lot of work in other aspects, as we are all well aware of. I can't speak for the entire PvP community for this game, but perhaps the dev blogs could mention something about combat fixes, rather than PvE elements that a large portion of us never asked for.

Scadnarr
True Believer

Post by Scadnarr » 19 Aug 2016, 14:46

VasiLibero wrote:Hello, i m the admin of two servers LIF.After the latest patch ,we cant use the option of armorsmith on blacksmith shop.

I confirm above. Most of armours disappeared from blacksmith and some other stuff without icons appeared instead (like small plates, wires etc.)

In all honesty it's another patch which is breaking things/game mechanics which were working fine previously (see my other posts about cart animation and preparations).

I really like new observe mode but I would appreciate for focusing on resolving old bugs in first place. If new features are common for YO and MMO they should be tested by MMO beta players, without breaking YO basic mechanics.

Bugged frames and tubes, disappearing horses, broken preparations, armours no longer available in blacksmith shop, farms no longer require ploughing... one more patch and really nice game won’t be playable.

Hotshot25120
Zealous Believer

Post by Hotshot25120 » 23 Aug 2016, 21:57

let wait for the next wave and hope I get a invite.

Keep us posted.

thanks

Return to News and Information