Development News #100 — Centum

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis

Development News #100 — Centum

Post by Arrakis » 20 Apr 2018, 17:24

Hey, Feudalists!

Again, this week we’ve been focusing on features and tweaks for the upcoming patch. Those include unmovable object claims, battle reconnect, and also, some long-awaited premium features like character transfer and character customization. Among these, we are polishing some things on the Newbie Islands to make them more friendly towards new players. We are also working on fixes for some annoying bugs like alignment issues with the trespassers ability on claim lands, and others. We can’t wait to be able release the patch, but it still needs some work, so stay tuned!

This is our one hundredth devblog, and this time we’ve decided to do something special and try something new. Usually in our devblogs we address you as the whole team, but this time we wanted you to get to know each member of our team personally via small personal segments as they share their experience and thoughts working on Life is Feudal games.
Our first hero is Sergey Horn, 3D Artist and Game Asset Modeler:

‘I’ve always loved the Medieval setting, but there are not so many games where it’s really believable and diverse. So I really want to join the project in this setting, which will be complex and made as large-scale. Now I’m working on architecture’s creation and making small objects for the whole game world.

One of the most interesting tasks on this scale was the creation of objects for the main trailer. I’ve always liked creating scenic decorations with events on the background — destroyed buildings, polluted interior and so on. It’s great to know that you created something really big for the game.

Creation of the new castle walls was really interesting and labor-intensive. The hardest part was a drawbridge, because we want to create a realistic-functioning mechanism. We used a lot of references of real medieval drawbridges, create models and adjust them, and I personally think the result is very decent. Game engine imposes its limits and you can’t create such things, as high-detailed merlons, decals for various types of one-type objects and so on; but I heard, that our render-magicians will do something with that!

I like that in the game you have a possibility to build your own house, make a picket fence, plant some wheat and live a simple life in the Medieval ages. You can live it, not only be a watchful guardian as it is in the strategy or save the world as you’re playing certain games.
What was really fun? Oh, well, the game engine has provided us with a lot of fun minutes. One particular time, for example, when the door stopped working exactly before the patch release. Or
collision was broken. Or node on the weapon is disappeared. We have a LOT fun when trying to do our best to find the reason, but all for nothing, and then suddenly the simple re-export (5th or even more without any changes at all in files) is finally working. We’re crying with joy and happily hugging (yeah, thanks, dear engine, we don’t have other things to do). :) But I have went too far, that’s not happening very often.

We face obstacles together as a team, with grace and, of course, on a regular basis. Perhaps, you can’t see it, because it has to do with a lot of back-end things like project scaling, engine features, the lack of proper editor, and all that, so sometimes it may seem that the patches we roll out are not such big of a patch and they don’t come out so often. So, how hard can it be? Well, on the one hand it’s on us as a team, on the other hand — I’d like to see who would manage this better than us.

We try to avoid working overtime via time management, planning, and prioritization, but it doesn’t always work out. If there’s something that depends on you and really needs to get to the upcoming patch, but broke down just when the patch’s about to go live, you need to fix this ASAP, no matter what’s the time. The good thing is that you can sleep like a baby once it’s fixed, knowing that everything is okay. Unless the QA find something’s off.

I keep track of all the feedback on my part that I get, I even have a special place for that. Can’t wait when we finally get to redo stone walls (just like we did with fortress walls). We want to make loopholes, merlon more convenient, fix collisions, stuff like that. Oh, and the churches that many of you anticipate, hopefully, we start modelling them really soon, the concepts are almost ready.
Overall, we get a lot of various feedback, yet sadly we’re no Blizzard, but we’ll pull through.

How is LiF different from other projects? In the majority of medieval set games a player gets to either lead a peaceful life without fighting at war, or, on the contrary, gets to fight, but is never involved in peaceful life, building and all this farming. LiF has both of those things, and many more. Have you ever seen such a vast variety of mechanics and activities? I think that’s what makes this game stand out, and that’s why I like it.’

Tell us if you liked the new tradition of the devblog. Thanks for being with us and supporting us all the time. Have a lovely weekend, but remember, Life is still Feudal.

— The team

Gigaspaz

Re: Development News #100 — Centum

Post by Gigaspaz » 20 Apr 2018, 17:32

You asked what I think, so here it is.

I'd like a TL/DR summary. I dont like reading fluff about the developers. No offence, just dont like reading that kind of stuff. I'd prefer the nitty gritty on what your changes and bug fixes are and that's it. Bullet each note or change and move to the next. Save story time for the lore section. I'm not trying to be rude, it's just how I prefer patch notes.

So write your story, but at the bottom a TL/DR for people like me.

Edit - I just noticed this wasn't a patch note and this was just a blog. Sorry. I'll keep the above here anyway for reference sake

Joey_joey

Post by Joey_joey » 20 Apr 2018, 17:47

luckily i was reading gigaspaz posts before.
no change/patch note = no interest in reading.
spend more times in improving the game not just posting such things.

Nars

Post by Nars » 20 Apr 2018, 20:06

Well, unlike my fellas up here, I appreciate this idea. I like to know about the people behind this project. Keep it up!

Sharoplet

Post by Sharoplet » 20 Apr 2018, 21:05

You could at least fix the bug with alignment loss after enemies use the trespassers ability on claim lands - it's a bug, which in the game more than 2 weeks and you couldn't fix it (even all you need is to revert it's work to the time when it works properly). People lost tons of alignment on JH and during usual raids, some guild members lost almost all alignment they pray for from the beggining of the game. I think such fixes has to be published ASAP, you do not need to wait 3 weeks making big patch with lots of new features and bug fixes. I think you have to focus on bug fixes, it has to be a priority for you (in my opinion)...

Cuerdas

Post by Cuerdas » 20 Apr 2018, 22:25

This game is dying, please, save it. Only devs have the power...

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 20 Apr 2018, 22:56

Sharoplet wrote:You could at least fix the bug with alignment loss after enemies use the trespassers ability on claim lands
Ukhm, we have just mentioned it. It's literally up there, in the first paragraph. :%)

Arrakis wrote:We are also working on fixes for some annoying bugs like alignment issues with the trespassers ability on claim lands

Sharoplet

Post by Sharoplet » 21 Apr 2018, 04:17

Arrakis wrote:
Sharoplet wrote:You could at least fix the bug with alignment loss after enemies use the trespassers ability on claim lands
Ukhm, we have just mentioned it. It's literally up there, in the first paragraph. :%)

Arrakis wrote:We are also working on fixes for some annoying bugs like alignment issues with the trespassers ability on claim lands

Yes, I see that. If you read my text you will see, that I advise you to fix such bugs ASAP, not to wait 3 weeks to make big patch with lots of bug fixes. You have to understand that some bugs have to be fixed immidiately (at that moment when you have solution to fix them).

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 21 Apr 2018, 04:45

Congrats on that milestone!

Question : is there more to the May patch than has been revealed so far in terms of performance / enhancement and/or gameplay features? Is the patch you mention here in the OP the May patch or another patch coming before that?

Thanks!
Lord Fyrr Deerd'an | Pope of Riftwood, a division of Lux Astra Sanctorum [LAST] | Buyan (NA-E)

Post by 51739711 » 22 Apr 2018, 23:28

本来应给丰富游戏内容的装饰品,却变成了需要支付的建筑包,游戏本身目前还缺很多内容,但是开发商却在做这件事件。对于亚洲玩家网络和服务器的体验非常不好,但是我们坚持着,开发商并没更多的更新游戏内容,新作物,新树种,新装饰,骑射,人物上厕所的BUFF和建筑,等等新的玩法上多做一些事情,让我们失望。

The ornaments, which are supposed to be rich in the content of the game, have become a building package that needs to be paid. The game itself is still short of content, but the developer is doing it. The experience of the Asian players' network and server is very bad, but we insist that the developers do not have more content to update the game, new crops, new trees, new ornaments, horseback, BUFF and architecture in the toilet, and so on, and let us disappoint.

suffering001

Post by suffering001 » 26 Apr 2018, 15:27

better center on banning the faggots that use exploits before releasing more bugged shitty stuff, same with the stupid 50v50 totems that never works

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 26 Apr 2018, 22:23

suffering001 wrote:better center on banning the faggots that use exploits before releasing more bugged shitty stuff, same with the stupid 50v50 totems that never works

Feel free to send detailed report with a video/screenshots clearly showing players using exploits - with their names visible - to whackabot@lifeisfeudal.com or contact us directly on discord (http://discord.gg/lifeisfeudal)

Return to Development News