Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

What are we currently working on.
User avatar
Arrakis
 
Posts: 5236
Joined: 25 Oct 2013, 14:11
Location: Sparksvaard, the middle world; the world of people.

Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by Arrakis » 04 May 2018, 18:02

Image

Hey, Feudalists!

May is finally here, so it won’t be too long until the big May patch, that we’ve been focusing on for a couple of months. Our team is also working on a minor patch that’s dropping soon, where we are limiting some console commands, which a lot of you have reported to be abused for gaining advantage. Thank you for your cooperation!

In the meantime, we’re happy to announce something exciting that our game masters have been working on: the first ever in-game event is launching this weekend on Epleland. It’s the first of an in-game event series, and will take place on Saturday, May 5th at 18:00 UTC (2pm EST). Jump in and join the fun!
Don’t forget that we always look forward to hearing from you, so if you have any ideas or feedback on the event, don’t hesitate to hit up our GM, Paul.

We’re continuing with our new segment in today’s devblog, which we started in celebration of our 100th post - so here’s a story from another team member for you to enjoy:

Dima Appeax Romodanovskiy, Texture Artist, Art Department:

I actually found LiF by chance. I was browsing a gamedev forum in 2014 when I stumbled upon LiF and immediately realized - it’s THE ONE! It looked kind of basic, another Medieval project, but it had something unique (including the horrific graphics). I really felt like improving and making it look better, so this was my goal - to make the models look less like Pinocchio (that’s what we used to call them back then). The new graphics turned out to be simple and convenient. I thought ‘it’s an MMO sandbox after all’ - in any case, at least it’s not 8-bit! :D

A year after the launch, the team contacted me again. Or, should I put this as, ‘have given me a chance,’ since this time it was a brand new project, and the objectives were more challenging. Really challenging to be frank. Yet in the end, there are a lot of things that I’m proud of, and while the project is being developed - I am happy to know that there are some studios out there, like this one, thatmake games for players as if they were making them for themselves. Thanks to my team leads - Stepan and Ilya, for their patience and motivation :) They really help us evolve as professionals.
To me, LiF is more than just a game, it’s a whole ideology (point of view).


A great weekend have you, feudalists, and May the 4th be with you.

— The team


User avatar
Mastercop
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 08:07

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by Mastercop » 05 May 2018, 07:00

Where is the rules of the event?


Migaca7
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 12 Dec 2017, 18:18

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by Migaca7 » 06 May 2018, 08:13

the game is dying and you are killing it

User avatar
HolyAvengerOne
 
Posts: 297
Joined: 09 Sep 2016, 08:45

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 07 May 2018, 04:02

Oh the tease, with the May patch, oh! :lol: :lol:
Lord Fyrr Deerd'an | Pope of Riftwood, a division of Lux Astra Sanctorum [LAST] | Buyan (NA-E)



Stronzomerda3
True Believer
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 02 Nov 2016, 13:52

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by Stronzomerda3 » 08 May 2018, 10:45

Mortal online's spectre see you...


Sunleader
 
Posts: 164
Joined: 04 Dec 2017, 08:23

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by Sunleader » 08 May 2018, 15:02

Small Advice from the Marketing Department.


Teasing a Patch should always contain some Info on Said Patch.
Doesnt need to be much. And can be bracketed etc.
But constantly Mentioning an Ominous Patch while never even telling what the Patch is about. Not only causes People to lose Interest very Fast. Its also causing Frustration to those which are actively Searching for Future Content.


You might not Realize this. But your Announcements Lately feel more like your Mocking the Playerbase than they feel like you want to Share Happy News.
And Mocking your Playerbase is never a good idea.
Sure its a Nice Satisfactory Feeling to mock People which so often annoy you and complain to you.
But while I can understand that you guys feel miffed at all the Negative Comments thrown at you.
This is not going to Improve the Situation. In contrary it will make things worse.

Because with non Saying News and Announcements like this.
You Provide Fodder for the Haters. And give absolutely nothing to your Fans to Defend you.



Just my 2 Cents.

User avatar
Hodo
 
Posts: 658
Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 23:17

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by Hodo » 08 May 2018, 16:42

Sunleader wrote:Small Advice from the Marketing Department.


Teasing a Patch should always contain some Info on Said Patch.
Doesnt need to be much. And can be bracketed etc.
But constantly Mentioning an Ominous Patch while never even telling what the Patch is about. Not only causes People to lose Interest very Fast. Its also causing Frustration to those which are actively Searching for Future Content.


You might not Realize this. But your Announcements Lately feel more like your Mocking the Playerbase than they feel like you want to Share Happy News.
And Mocking your Playerbase is never a good idea.
Sure its a Nice Satisfactory Feeling to mock People which so often annoy you and complain to you.
But while I can understand that you guys feel miffed at all the Negative Comments thrown at you.
This is not going to Improve the Situation. In contrary it will make things worse.

Because with non Saying News and Announcements like this.
You Provide Fodder for the Haters. And give absolutely nothing to your Fans to Defend you.



Just my 2 Cents.


So true sir.

Unfortunately at this point most of us "hardcore" fans have already moved on.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

User avatar
HolyAvengerOne
 
Posts: 297
Joined: 09 Sep 2016, 08:45

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 09 May 2018, 00:13

Hodo wrote:
Sunleader wrote:Small Advice from the Marketing Department.


Teasing a Patch should always contain some Info on Said Patch.
Doesnt need to be much. And can be bracketed etc.
But constantly Mentioning an Ominous Patch while never even telling what the Patch is about. Not only causes People to lose Interest very Fast. Its also causing Frustration to those which are actively Searching for Future Content.


You might not Realize this. But your Announcements Lately feel more like your Mocking the Playerbase than they feel like you want to Share Happy News.
And Mocking your Playerbase is never a good idea.
Sure its a Nice Satisfactory Feeling to mock People which so often annoy you and complain to you.
But while I can understand that you guys feel miffed at all the Negative Comments thrown at you.
This is not going to Improve the Situation. In contrary it will make things worse.

Because with non Saying News and Announcements like this.
You Provide Fodder for the Haters. And give absolutely nothing to your Fans to Defend you.



Just my 2 Cents.


So true sir.

Unfortunately at this point most of us "hardcore" fans have already moved on.


Have we? ;)

But yeah, I agree with the quoted quote, it's not good practice in terms of communications in general.
Lord Fyrr Deerd'an | Pope of Riftwood, a division of Lux Astra Sanctorum [LAST] | Buyan (NA-E)



Conrowd
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 May 2015, 18:54

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by Conrowd » 10 May 2018, 02:19

I'm gonna be honest with, this game is dying because:

- You have forgotten/trashed YO
- The only entertainment is pvp, you have poor pve system
- You spent a crazy amount of time just to get a house
- You're trying to build a game like wow or eve online, but this game is not going to be like those if you're not listening gamers
- The games are designed to get entertained, that's the main focus, not for earn money (this is one of your biggest mistakes)

btw I'm a computing and information technology engineer, hopefully you're going to consider the points that I exposed here. Also, Conan is your competition so get better that than one and maybe you would be able to recover people.

Good luck with your game, but I'm not going to recommend this game unless you improve the real things

User avatar
HolyAvengerOne
 
Posts: 297
Joined: 09 Sep 2016, 08:45

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 11 May 2018, 23:47

Conrowd wrote:btw I'm a computing and information technology engineer, hopefully you're going to consider the points that I exposed here. Also, Conan is your competition so get better that than one and maybe you would be able to recover people.


Couple broad statements / misconceptions here, and whether you're a rocket scientist or a janitor, it makes no difference on these. Why? Well your approach is qualitative through and through, not empirical.

Conrowd wrote:- You have forgotten/trashed YO


True, there are fewer updates, but at the same time, YO was always a stepping stone towards MMO. The MMO was the original project, YO was made (in a nutshell) because of networking paradigms and server-related technical concerns.

It was written in the sky (if not expressly said) that YO would see less updates.

Conrowd wrote:- The only entertainment is pvp, you have poor pve system


Not sure why you expected something else. The game was always designed and advertised as a sandbox, and these are notorious for little to no PVE content. That's just not where the design efforts went into for this game -- up until recently -- and some of us have been very well entertained by the game so far.

I agree with you though that the game would benefit from additional pve content, and I rejoice at the fact that the fabled May update is scheduled to bring what I understand is the largest pve content update in LiF, ever.

Conrowd wrote:- You spent a crazy amount of time just to get a house


True, most other games out there -- whether indie or AAA -- make it easier to build a house. So, yep, in the case of LiF, it's like that as per design, and for some of us, we're glad that it is so.

Conrowd wrote:- You're trying to build a game like wow


HAHAHAHAHA.

Conrowd wrote:- You're trying to build a game like eve online, but this game is not going to be like those if you're not listening gamers


Yeah, a version, or a vision of it, of a sandbox ala Eve. I think they already listen too much to gamers, and certainly more than many other gaming companies out there.

Conrowd wrote:- The games are designed to get entertained, that's the main focus, not for earn money (this is one of your biggest mistakes)


I'm being entertained, many of us are, and besides the weirdly priced skins, I don't see how the rest is a cash grab at all.
Lord Fyrr Deerd'an | Pope of Riftwood, a division of Lux Astra Sanctorum [LAST] | Buyan (NA-E)


User avatar
Hodo
 
Posts: 658
Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 23:17

Re: Development News #102 — Epleland Event and More Stories

Post by Hodo » 12 May 2018, 02:51

HolyAvengerOne wrote:
Conrowd wrote:- You're trying to build a game like eve online, but this game is not going to be like those if you're not listening gamers


Yeah, a version, or a vision of it, of a sandbox ala Eve. I think they already listen too much to gamers, and certainly more than many other gaming companies out there.



No, No they havent.

Had they listened to the players they would have not launched a North American Server hosted by THE worst hosting company in North, Central AND South America. I can remember when several if not ALL of the North American guild leaders told BOBIK in a Q&A about the NA server, NOT to host it on a horrible company.

Well he hosted it on a horrible company and the server stability killed any hope of a NA audience wanting to bother with this game. To quote steam reviews...

"$40.00 dollar shovel skins. "

"This game had a lot of potential. Sadly, the Devs failed to incorporate the proper siege mechanics and some have taken advantage of failed game mechanics. More so, it appears gravity was not yet a thing during the Medieval Ages. There is no point in having walls when others can simply build a sleeping bag stairway to heaven to breech. Subscription canceled, and many have already left the game. This game will fold shortly if the Devs don’t start listening to the community. "

"Cant download the game because it drops to zero seeds and im not waiting 4 days to finish the download for a game that from what the online store looks like is just a money grab. "

"So yea my "First five hours in the game" were spent watching the launcher update almost all the way then stop for like a week now. GREAT game guys YO it is, dont waist your time, everyone says they bombed this game anyway the whole idea of it is just better alone or with a small group of friends anyway"

" The Devs
I personally don't have any issues. However their might be a problem IDK so I found some threads for you to look at that criticise the developers (If they are removed then you have your answer).

Take for example these threads:
bitbox-does-nothing-to-cheaters-t32521/
free-oneway-ticket-transfer-t32205/
why-pvp-server-seems-too-carebear-t32081/

I would expect at least one of these threads to be banned if the devs truly do ban discussions. none of these threads outright insult or threaten the devs, but rather criticize how they are doing things.

Note: If a dev deletes a thread that explains in detail how to use an exploit or cheat or a hack before they have fixed said exploit. They should ban it. The devs own forums shouldn't be a place to learn different exploits in the game."

And these are just a handful of the 1299 NEGATIVE reviews out of the 2256 reviews TOTAL....

So 57% of all reviews of this game are negative. That means you have a 43% positive rating.. which is FAILING in any school you go to.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Return to Development News