Development News #20 - ‘Combat Mechanics Overhaul'

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis

Development News #20 - ‘Combat Mechanics Overhaul'

Post by Arrakis » 10 Oct 2016, 16:29

Hey feudalists,

Right now we are working on overhauling melee and ranged combat mechanics. Check out our short-term goals:
  • Enhanced shield importance. Shields will give a more significant defensive advantage. We are going to increase blocking speed and passive protection, as well as improving shield bash by making it easier to hit with.
  • Changes in pounce mechanics. We will improve the effectiveness of this ability against foes with shields, and at the same time, we will reduce its jump force.
  • Extra damage. We plan to set a certain weapon group with a special feature of increased stun chance.
  • Parrying system change. Parrying should be an immediate action to counter your opponent’s moves, rather than a permanent defense like blocking. We are going to overhaul the parrying to make it possible to deflect blows, as well as make it impossible to stay in the parrying state permanently. We are also going to make parrying chance dependent on the particular weapon you use.
  • Speed bonus. We plan to make speed bonus depend more on player’s movement speed rather than weapon speed for certain strike types.
This will be the melee combat changes that we plan to introduce in the near future!

Next week, we’ll be talking about our plans for bows, crossbows and ranged combat mechanics.

We hope you’ve enjoyed this insight into some of what we’ve been up to. We’d just like to let you know that we are fully aware of the problem with overpowered damage when the direction of a strike switches while you’re attacking.

- Thanks, the team!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Re: Development News #20 - ‘Combat Mechanics Overhaul'

Post by Azzerhoden » 10 Oct 2016, 17:09

Great news! I know several folks who have been waiting for combat to be revamped before looking at playing again. I also know a lot of folks have commented on their desire for combat tactics like Mount & Blade. I have never played that game, but I have played War of the Roses, and I enjoy that combat style.

I know LIF needs to have its own style of combat, but hopefully it will be similar.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Krevente
Alpha Tester

Post by Krevente » 10 Oct 2016, 17:22

Yaaassss! Pretty sure we're some of the folks Azzerhoden was referring to since we've been testing/playing the game for years and this was our biggest issue that burned us out. If you guys can sort out the combat system then you'll have our collective swords, axes, pikes and whatever else we can muster up.

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Post by Khan- » 10 Oct 2016, 19:36

Disponible en Français ICI !

I think we are all curious about your plans for the war cries :)
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

SoilWorm

Post by SoilWorm » 11 Oct 2016, 10:28

+++
All exploits must be exterminated! A bug-user, you Shall. Not. Pass!

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 11 Oct 2016, 16:09

Indeed Your Grace, I was partially referring to the noble Republic.

There are many citizens of His Majesty's Duchy that are also eagerly awaiting the changes that were mere rumor before. I have been keeping them abreast of changes within the game and they are eagerly looking forward to furthering the development of His Majesty's lands and the inevitable battles that follow.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Tomas

Post by Tomas » 11 Oct 2016, 17:19

Что-то мне подсказывает на картинке к новости у легкого чешуйчика нету шансов в этой схватке(на данный момент). Может что и поменяют так, чтобы это изменилось=)

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 11 Oct 2016, 22:52

This will be something like the 5th time I will have to completely relearn the combat system. Exciting!
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Styxwash
Zealous Believer

Post by Styxwash » 23 Oct 2016, 20:27

Khan-Bjornsen wrote:
I think we are all curious about your plans for the war cries :)

Agreed.

That coward shout...

Otherwise i'm loving the attention to shields and the promised fixing of pounce. I've been waiting along time for these changes to combat, im sure some people here waited even longer.

Toren
True Believer

Post by Toren » 28 Oct 2016, 01:16

As far as the speed bonus system goes, will it calculate based on the opponents speed as well? Best example is with the pikes, especially the long pike. Currently, you just wiggle it around or do a helicopter motion to do well over 100 damage to an armored infantry opponent. But since the player is stationary, if it was based on player speed then they would be useless. Clearly a pike should do massive damage to a charging cavalry, but probably should do as much as a spear against stationary infantry.

And, is there any changes planned for how the stuns work on parries when they get changed? It would be nice if we weren't completely immobilized every time someone got a decent parry.

Return to Development News