Guild wars and combat

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Sendrik

Guild wars and combat

Post by Sendrik » 06 Aug 2013, 18:10

Greetings gentleman 8-)

This thread is a question and a suggestion in one.
If you think its better for the suggestion area,feel free to put it there.

I followed this game for over a year now,i think.
And i noticed something about the guild wars.
The guilds that are fighting each other,cant be disturbed.

While i know why this is done,im interested in how it wis done.
Will there suddenly a invisible wall pop out in front of me,or what will happen?
Will it be like,,i click on war and im safe from pvp?''
I hope not.

I would suggest that,if you want to start a guild war,you need to wait 30 minutes.
That 30 minutes can be used to inspect the equipment of everyone,get in position,speak about the planned tactics again...
And people have time to react.
In that 30 minutes,there is no invisible wall.

The second thing:
You may want to know when that guild wars start,and who is fighting against who.
But text messages that pop up out of nowhere arent really.....you know.
So how about letting npc, tell you that?
Would sure be a nice thing to add.
You visit a city and ask a peasant if there is anything new.
And they tell you that guild yxc is fighting against guild cxy soon,and that the war should start in x minutes.

And...a cooldown maybe?
Like only 2 wars a day,per guild?

Is there a time limit for a guild war?

Im just worried that something like this could happen:
I chase a person(the reason doesnt matter).
After some minutes he reach the territory of his guild.
He tells them per ingame chat or per ts that he needs help.
Leader starts a guild war,maybe with a friendly guild,just to save that dude.
Or,and this is much more likely to happen,its just concidence that the leader starts a guild war when that dude ran into his guild territory.
What would happen?

I cant go past the invisible wall and the person i chased is safe.

Such a invisible wall,in a situation like this,would not suit a sandbox game,just my personal oppinion.

Than i woul like to know how the combat works,
Didnt see much of it so far.
Would you describe it more or less action based as in mortal online?
Can you block for eternity,like in mo,or is there a way to counter that?

Last thing:
My english is not the best,but i hope you understand what i mean.
Last edited by Sendrik on 07 Aug 2013, 16:42, edited 2 times in total.
Follow the darkness but dont get lost in the shadows.

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Re: Guild wars and combat

Post by finalreview » 07 Aug 2013, 10:50

I'm not really sure what you are talking about with invisible walls.

As for guild wars, I'm not sure it will be a feature. If the game is going to be true 100% PVP everywhere there wouldn't really be a point to them. Other then maybe you don't take a negative loss to alignment. In that case you would want at least a 10 minute window before it started. If Bobik has talked about such a system please link me.

There shouldn't be any global messages about sieges for realism IMO.

Sendrik

Post by Sendrik » 07 Aug 2013, 16:18

I dont know if there will be invisible walls,but i hope there wont be any.

I just wrote this in case there will be invisible walls or similiar stuff.
I was reading once that any place outside the spawn is a pvp area.

But in another place i was reading that both sides can recruit people for a guild war,but after the war starts,they cant be disturbed from other people.
The point is:i dont know how this will work.
Invisible walls?
Unkillable players?
Or even instanced?O.o

None of them would be a good solution.
Thats why i wrote here.
I want to know how this will be handled,and in case its going to be handled by invible walls,i gave some suggestions.

Because of the global messages:
I wrote that npcs could tell you things that are happening in the area,not global messages.
But in the end,that messages might be unavoidable,even mortal online has it because of the server down messages.

I will try to find the post about the guild wars now,will edit the post if i find it.

EDIT:
I found it.
Here:http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/interactive-faq-t3/page50/?hilit=castle

There,bobik wrote:71) Sieges won't be instanced (everyone can come). But we plan to make territory battles. It will prearranged battles on a fixed territory, where every side should make a list of participants and only those player, who are listed will be able to battle there - rest players will be booted from that territory and won't be able to join battle, until it ends.

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 08 Aug 2013, 09:59

AH okay, the territory battles are the only thing planned that i know of that will have some sort of "invisible wall" since players won't be allowed into that territory.

Sendrik

Post by Sendrik » 08 Aug 2013, 10:12

As i said,im not a fan of invisible walls.
Walls,that pretend others from entering a area,ok.
You could still destroy them with enough effort.
And thats the point in sandbox games,you have a lot of options,a lot of different ways to play the game.
Limiting this by a invisible wall,that you cant destroy or anything...=/

I hope that there will be a way that prevents people from,,hiding''in guild wars.
That would take the,,never safe''feeling away a bit.
Just like mortal did with ther stupid new player protection and other carebear stuff.
I mean,as a new player,you may want to fight against other new players.if you spend your time exploring instead of only cutting trees for training,you may lose in duels against other players,that where new some hours ago,just like you.

Can only say again how much i disagree with invisible walls.
Any protection in the game,should be made by players,in my oppinion.
Maybe only let the kills in territory wars count,that are made from participants?
Meaning,players that are just random killing,can still attack others,but that wont have a effect on the territoty war.

But oh well...im not the one to decide this.

Balariand
Alpha Tester

Post by Balariand » 08 Aug 2013, 11:11

I think the territory battles are a good solution. You get enough chanes to simply run around and kill people without a reason for the lulz, you should not disturb the "kingdoms" if they decide to meet eachother. IMO that could lead to some sort of "fear" among the leaders because they would think: "Oh, we should not declare war on those guys, because 100 people will come and simply kill everyone on the battlefield! We would lose our nice army in 90% of cases!" And that would, in my opinion, take the sense out of the game.

Sincerely, Balariand

Sendrik

Post by Sendrik » 08 Aug 2013, 20:18

Why is it,that whenever im talking about more/harder pvp,people assume im talking about,,killing someone for the lulz''?

Like i said before,the reason why i chase someone,doesnt matter in that example.
I think it would be much better if the territory,people are fighting over,would be surrounded by normal walls.
Walls that you can see,and destroy.
Thats what i love so much about sandbox games.
Want to tear a whole city apart,all by yourself?
Try it,nothing stops you...from trying,at least.
Swim with plate armor?
Try it...but you better bind a stone to you,makes it faster.
Want to steal from a famous player?
Try it...but you better learn to run quickly,because his followers might want to see you dead.

The system lets you do mistakes and learn from it.
There is no,,no you cant'',or at least not much.

And i dont know why the territory fights have to be 1 guild vs 1 guild anyway.
Personally,i think its much better if you never know what the battle brings.
Reinforcements maybe?
Is there danger lurking outside the territory,waiting for his chance to wipe out your army?
What is that 3 guild doing there?
Helping you,or your enemy?
If anyone can team up with everyone,at any time,anyone has the same chances to win.

Like i said,this invisible wall can be abused.
I admitt,its not so easy,but its possible.
And pvp aside,it ruins the exploring a bit,if a invisible wall pops out of nowhere,saying,,hello,im a wall.youre going to see me often,and you will hate me for it.have a nice day''

But thats all i have to say for now.
If its strictly planned,this thread doesnt mean much anything...

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 08 Aug 2013, 22:03

From what I can tell the "guild battles" will just be an organized private PvP thing. I doubt Bobik plans on having people fight over control of in game territory privately. From what I can tell the only way to take land already claimed by an order/realm/kingdom would be to siege them for it which is semi organized but open to the world. Most of your fears can't be answered because Bobik has yet to fully explain some mechanics.

Usually he will jump in threads and explain some things but your best bet is to ask specific questions in the FAQ thread here: interactive-faq-t3/page140/

Sendrik

Post by Sendrik » 11 Aug 2013, 02:07

Thanks to finalreviews latest thread,its clear that some wars will be instanced.
At least its still better than a invisible wall.

The newbie island has no pvp...ok,i understand that.
The main city is also protected...uhm...yes,i also understand that,i dont like that fact,but i understand why they did that.
But than,battles will be instanced.
Good,but...is it possible to do instanced pvp all day long?
Without even,,visiting''the open world once?
This doesnt suit the concept of one open world,where everything is connected and even dungeons arent instanced.
So is there a waiting time for battles?

A little side question:
Does someone allready know how hard it will be to change land?
I mean,will i need a large guild if i just want to digg a small tunnel?
In mortal online,it was damn hard to get a house.
I played it multiple months,but never managed to get one.

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Post by finalreview » 11 Aug 2013, 04:06

I think you are comparing the organized private battles to battlegrounds from World of Warcraft. There will not be a queue system where you can just join up and wait for PvP. You are going to still have large scale battles taking place outside of instanced battles. Also I would assume that there will be requirements to create such a battle like number of players, or maybe size of realm / kingdom.

Balariand
Alpha Tester

Post by Balariand » 11 Aug 2013, 12:51

After reading all the "new" informations, I think the system will work like this:

If there is war between your realm and another realm, you can attack all members of the other realm without penalties. In this "phase" of the war, you can loot and raze villages, watchtowers or whatever on the enemy territory. If your lord decides to launch the official attack, the defender can set the time of the battle and you will have an organized fight. The loser's monument will be decreased by 1 untill only your city's territory belongs to you. (So between the battles you would go back to the "loot and burn" phase). If the monument reaches level 1 (Only city's territory), you can/will siege the city. This last "siege" phase will be open to everyone and will take place in the "open world"

Sincerely, Balariand

Sendrik

Post by Sendrik » 11 Aug 2013, 14:26

No im not.
But i just dont like the idea to split the community in,,different worlds''

Didnt lose a word about a queue(that word is a pain in the ass for me to write),im just worried that guilds will declare war with a guild,finishing,declaring war to the next one,finishing,declaring war of the next one.....and so on.
For example,if you have one,or more rivals there,you could never challenge them,because you cant enter ther,,instance''.
But before someone says something about pvp for the lulz again,that was just ONE example.

Im not worryed that people are doing random battles all day long.
Just that they always find a new guild by themself for instanced battles.
And that players would not be in the open world for a lot of hours,depending on how much wars they will have.

Sendrik

Post by Sendrik » 11 Aug 2013, 14:30

@Balariand

Just noticed your post while i was allready writing.

I wasnt sure about that,but if its really like this,its fine,because that means there is some kind of cooldown,that lasts one day.
So,unless a guild manages it to declare war to over 10 guild or so on at the same time,meaning they will fight 24 hours of the next day,its finexD

If i got this right,theres a phase where you can enlist without a guild,killing anyone,or how is that open world phase exactly?

Balariand
Alpha Tester

Post by Balariand » 11 Aug 2013, 15:37

You should read this article about battles if you didn't yet: http://lifeisfeudal.com/mmorpgsandLiF/M ... -is-Feudal

Further questions can be asked in the Interactive FAQ Thread, Bobik will try to answer all questions you might have.

Sincerely, Balariand

Sendrik

Post by Sendrik » 11 Aug 2013, 16:52

So if i undersood it correctly,in sieges you can attack your enemies without penaltys,but if you just jump in randomly without choosing a side to fight for,you can kill anyone,but with a penalty?

Balariand
Alpha Tester

Post by Balariand » 11 Aug 2013, 17:42

If you are at war with a realm, you never get a penalty for killing them. If you just pass by and see a siege, then you can still decide to simply attack one of the factions but you will get a penalty. Further, it is very unlikely that you would survive that because there will be many people allied to the guy you attacked. ;)

Sincerely, Balariand

Sendrik

Post by Sendrik » 11 Aug 2013, 20:40

And realm=guild,right?
Or is the realm the kingdom of the guild?
And if it IS the kingdom of the guild,why should i fight for my realm?

Oh,i think a handful of people causing havok,will do a lot.
If there will be friendly fire,at least.
And as far as i know,there will be friendly fire.
Once i fought against 4 peopel or so on at the same time,in war of the roses...i died.
But it took them like 20 seconds to kill me,because they always hit themself^^
And sometimes they even kill ther teammates instead of me.

But i just want to have the option to kill them.
That doesnt mean im going to do it as soon as i can.
Even less if i dont have a reason to do so :D

Good,no questions about pvp for now...but how is the combat?
I was reading that you can do more damage if you hit faster and so on...but what attacks are there?
How does blocking work?
Are there special combat manouvers?
Something like that.

Balariand
Alpha Tester

Post by Balariand » 11 Aug 2013, 21:06

I think Bobik wanted to release a new gameplay video in September, but I don't know whether those plans were changed.

Sincerely, Balariand

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 12 Aug 2013, 07:25

We're rushing hard toward that date, but since development is our priority, we might fail to meet that date for sake of smooth development process.

Return to General Discussion