Looking for support from a good game team.

Moderators: Khan-, SirWinston

Adriankent125

Looking for support from a good game team.

Post by Adriankent125 » 27 Jul 2021, 10:11

Sewing Machine Needles For Quilters

Piecing small blocks into a quilting artwork, making machine applique, and putting patchwork together are just some of what makes quilting such a fun hobby.

To avoid skipped stitches, fraying, and other problems associated with quilting, choosing the right needle is important.

When you land the most suitable needle for the project, you are halfway to a beautiful quilting project. Here is some of my experience with cherry-picking a needle.

When you have the most suitable needle for the project, even the Image best basic sewing machine can make beautiful quilting.

Use the right needle for quilting

To know what type of needles to use, first, familiarize yourself with the different properties and characteristics of each type. The needle should be chosen according to the project and the thread you intend to use.

The size of the needle is vital. For example, a needle for jeans and denim is for penetrating through thick fabrics. The typical or the all-purpose ones can be used for assembling patchworks. One of the most common sizes is the 90/14. Its sturdy shaft can handle the pressure of quilting through a few layers of fabric. Its eye is large enough for several different types of thread.

There are also quilting needles, which are specially designed for machine quilting. They have slightly rounded tips.

When you pick a needle, pay attention to its eye, whether you use a thick thread or a metallic one. My all-time favorite is the Schmetz's Metallica needle. Its eye is longer than that of a regular needle so the friction between the needle and the thread is reduced. This one goes well with my best sewing machine for beginners Image so I have been using this brand for years.

An easy to use sewing machine for beginners

If you cannot get one of these or somehow don’t like this particular brand, other manufacturers also have similar models.

If you have to deal with stretchy fabrics, choose a needle that is made to handle this task. Other special types of fabrics also have needles that are designed for them.

When you have to use extra thick thread, opt for a topstitch needle, which has a long eye to accommodate and allow the thread the travel freely.

Nowadays, there are hundreds of choices when it comes to needles for quilting. So the best way to land the most suitable one is to test it whenever you can. I prefer shopping in an offline store to online sites because I can touch and try the needles.

Please note that you need to know the make and model of your sewing machine really well because the best needle for another machine might not be a good fit for yours. Read the Best Starter Sewing Machine For Beginners Reviews [img]//imgur.com/3PEkWqr.gif[/img] in case you haven’t found yourself a good model to start with.

If you want to know more about the world of needles, visit a local store and see for yourself. Ask the dealer and the staff about each type of needle if you are new to quilting.

Return to Discussion en Français