Organized FAQ Archive

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Styo
Alpha Tester

Organized FAQ Archive

Post by Styo » 09 Oct 2013, 11:49

Hello all,

While the developers are busy with coding and making the game, I took the liberty to help them out on the forum side of things. I went through and compiled an organized version of the FAQ which Bobik was replying to.

Please note: This thread is only for simple reading. Please continue to ask the questions in the other thread, just don't ask questions that are already asked. Also, don't ask too many questions as they will have less time to develop the game in order to reply to your questions.

Enjoy.

Warning: Some of the aspects of the game answered and explained in the FAQ are NOT a final decision

*Note - Some of these questions and answers are from 2011, so they FAQ may not be 100% accurate.

*Note - I will be updating this on a daily basis since it will take me a couple days to compile all the questions and answers.

Updated: 10/09/2013
--------------------------------------------------

Question: How will you prevent, or will you prevent, the players from constructing so much that the server starts to lag due to many polygons/objects/whatever?

Answer: We do not plan to artificially prevent players from building a lot of stuff. We are just planning to make it so that it's just gonna need a lot of effort to build a lot of stuff + high decay speed outside of claimed territories (personal or kingdom). So buildings that no one is interested in maintaining will decay and disappear quite fast (matter of 1-2 reallife days).

Question: Will you be using LODs?

Answer: We already use them and we make models with 2-4 LODs.

Question: As interested in the cooking skill and other skills as I am, how will the player learn how to forge a sword, or cook a meal? I mean, does he need a recipe, reach a certain level or does he just need to know the right combination of materials?

Answer: Some recipes will be auto revealed while progressing in a skill level. Some recipes needs to be revealed (cooking, alchemy mostly) by yourself or will work like TES4:Oblivion alchemy - set of ingredients with their own effects that result in single potion.

Question: Is there going to be sailing with ships?

Answer: Sailing will be possible, but not at retail I think, maybe later.

Question: Are there going to be regions of the map with different climates, like covered in snow all the time or jungle?

Answer: Yes, we plan to make some map zones with different climates on our continent (snow, desert, plains, tundra and so on).

Question: Where will the game server/servers be located?

Answer: First server will be located somewhere in Europe (Germany maybe). I have no idea about NA servers, since we will have to find some kind of company that will be willing to organize everything related to opening a NA server.

Question: Will there be something equivalent to guards or zap towers (from darkfall, I didn't like the player city towers.) in NPC or player cities?

Answer: Currently we plan something like vengeful ghosts that will be attacking criminals or players that are hostile towards the kingdom, that had built that church.

Question: Will you be able to build a house in any location without having to have a deed of some sort, or only be able to place them in certain locations with a limit on the amount of houses in the world IE:(Darkfall).

Answer: You will be able to place a house in any location, that you'll be able to flatten. So, you won't be able to place it open sea, inside or near NPC city, on other players/kingdom claimed territory. Nothing close, like it is in Darkfall.

Question: Will players be able to make their own ingame maps and books?

Answer: Doubt that. At least not in retail.

Question: Will there be various races (e.g. Human, Elf, Dwarf, etc)?

Answer: Only human races will be available (and I'm not even sure, if we'll be able to create that much content for different human races). There will be NO orcs, elves and so on.

Question: Maybe an odd question, but I haven't seen any mention of it yet. Any magic spells/skills in game?

Answer: Only religious powers. Nothing like pew pew magic in other MMOs.

Question: Tying in with the first two questions, is there going to be a large fantasy aspect of the game, or are you trying to keep an aspect of realism?

Answer: Trying to keep aspect of realism with a bit more religious powers and such.

Question: What will be the max terrain draw distance?

Answer: Yet to be decided, but 1 km as minimum.

Question: What will be the draw distance for server side object (player based structures, trebuchet etc)?

Answer: Same thing - yet to be decided - we need some test to be done, when we gonna have an optimized network and render codes.

Question: What will be the draw distance for other players / NPCs?

Answer: Same answer as the previous question.

Question: Will you use broadband's data capacity or will it be 56K max like WoW / mass market MMOs?

Answer: We will aim for most optimal connection usage, but can't promise you 56k though - we will have way more data to transport than in WoW and other MMOs.

Question: Will various resources (types of woods, minerals, flora, fauna) be localized to specific regions or equally dispersed everywhere?

Answer: Pretty much all resources will localized. Maybe, except ores and terrain resources (will try to make a balanced dispersion).

Question: Will the environment itself be designed as a tool to the player by utilizing physics based interaction like Dark Messiah, or will actionable effects be restricted to the combat system like Mount and Blade?

Answer: Second option. It's MMORPG after all.

Question: In WoW, objects have no mass, so you can carry unlimited objects only restricted by item slots. Also objects have no volume, so you can fit 10 elephant mounts in your backpack, or a full stone gatehouse. How will usable objects and resources be represented in terms of both volume and mass. Mostly in reference to how will player inventory work?

Answer: Every item will have it's own mass property and size property (small, normal, large, huge). So you can carry a limited amount of weight (depending on stats and such) and you can't place large sized object (shield for instance) inside a small sized container (pouch for instance). Some items will be only possible to carry in 3D world (on your back, only one item and with lowered speed) - like tree logs, anvil, loom and such.

Question: Will there be a way to fill in a spot in a tunnel if you screwed up or dug to the surface by accident?

Answer: We haven't decided that yet, but in the current plan you'll be able to raise underground floor level. However you won't be able to fill the whole block this way. So yes, if you messed up then you're done.

Question: What will people bind to, will it be a bindstone as seen in darkfall? Or will it just be a certain cell or building (like an Inn)??

Answer: Beds or better say any buildings with enough beds in it for an every player to bind there. That will just bring some reason to build residential buildings not just for sake of RPing or a safe spot.

Question: When you siege something, and claim it, are you destroying everything to do so? As well, where do all the people who are bound to that city end up if they do lose it?

Answer: Siege system gonna be announced later, but it's gonna be something in between Shadowbane/Darkfall siege systems.

Question: Archery Aim System; how will it be?

Answer: You must aim with a crosshair, determine distance to the target and raise your aim (ballistic trajectory) and predict it movement, in case if your target quite far. Well, nothing special here, like in most good games, that have archery.

Question: Crafting System; Can you name a game that it will be similar to, if you had to.

Answer: HnH + a bit of Oblivion alchemy a bit rough parallel, but still.

Question: Can you Create something unique through mix and match, on top of the current crafting system and if not retail what about future?\

Answer: Well, your alchemy potions can be rather unique + you can make weapons and armor with your name on it. There will be crafting like add ingredients and see what happens, but I believe all those recipes will be discovered quite fast - so there will be nothing unique about them in a late game.

Question: You said the game is skill based; is it like UO- the more you use a skill the higher it will go; and if so, is there a limit to what you can Master/Learn?

Answer: 100 skill level is max, 700 combat + 700 crafting skill skill cap. It might change in later development.

Question: Will there be a way to gauge distance/depth while mining? I read through all the faq but didn't see a clear answer

Answer: You can dig in horizontal directions only by square size (2m*2m). You can dig upward and downward with a 0,5 meter difference from a cell you are standing at. You can lower or raise surface ground level at a rate of 0,1 meter per iteration.

Question: Texture Stability and Solid. - Will Arrow textures stick into the ground, player, walls and etc.. or will they just act as if its ice, and hit the ground?

Answer: If I understood you right - arrows, bolts and other throwing projectiles ARE sticking already in walls, terrain and other players. It is implemented already.

Question: Will All Building Structures be hollow?

Answer: If I understood you right - almost all buildings will have an interior, where players will be able to move. Only some decorate and distant buildings in a central NPC city will be solid.

Question: Will there be poison for arrows or crossbow bolts?

Answer: Not planned ATM, I'd say no.

Question: Can there be Quick Switch between weapons i.e. Can I stab you and then switch to my crossbow and finish you off with an arrow to the face?

Answer: We will make a friendly user interface, so you will be able to cycle through weapons, but I don't think it will be instant weapon switch.

Question: Will we be able to sit on chairs / ledges (most games got chairs,but you can never sit on them)?

Answer: Maybe yes, maybe no. It's not our priority for sure.

Question: Will there be chat restrictions or no? Like spam in global chat, region or local chat?

Answer: Sure, we will try to keep public chats clean.

Question: PvP/Conquest will there be a game mechanic that says/shows this area is yours and your enemy owns this part (perhaps based on some kind of building radius)?

Answer: Yes, there will be actual visible kingdom borders in our world, and messages when you will enter or leave some kingdom or private territory. And of course global announcements about territory battles or sieges.

Question: Is role-playing going to be supported with some in-game mechanics, like owning your own character sheet, or being able to auto-translate smiles and "lols" to *smiles* *laughs*?

Answer: Don't think so. Maybe in a later post release stages.

Question: Will a player be allowed to handle his/her in-game interactions without GM or Staff interference unless it crosses the line into Sexual, Racial and or Biblical Harassment?

Answer: Yes. I'm pretty much sure we won't babysit everyone, unless a certain line is crossed. That line is pretty common in most games: sexual, racial, religious harassment, cheating and bug exploiting and such.

Question: In previous FAQ topic you said that water will be Wurm-like 1-level everywhere. My question is: will there be possible way to build castle on high-ground, dig moat around AND actually fill the moat with water? Or is it going to be just moat-like hole around castle?

Answer: Second option - if you want to have a moat filled with water - you'll need to dig it at the sea level.

Question: You also mentioned that if you screw up with digging your mine it's hard to "patch it up". What if, let's say, someone siege my castle and make tunnel under my walls. I defeat this scum, but tunnel going right under my walls is not satisfying me. Especially when the same guy (and everyone else) can get into my town again, and now he doesn't even have to do anything?

Answer: I think we will make it possible to patch up tunnel entrance and exit, so it become a surface back again. With some kind of tunnel decay implemented later - that will do.

Question: One more thing I'm not sure of. What I read is that you can master one skill (for example be a legendary blacksmith) and be not-the-best in other skills (alchemy, leatherworking). Let's say I start playing with friends, we all are newbies and must work together on mining/woodcutting/building/hunting. After some time we want to give everyone a role so he can master one skill, for example I'll be blacksmith and someone will provide me high quality ore. Is there any reset option, so I can maximize stats in one profession?

Answer: It will be pretty much like in UO. You could switch every skill in 3 states:
locked - no skill level change,
arrow up - skill level will rise, when used,
arrow down - skill level will decay when skill cap is being hit and another "Arrow up skill" level should be raised.
So you can play with those locks and unlocks and respec anytime.

Question: What do you mean with "with some kind of tunnel decay implemented later"? Do you mean after the release? My biggest fear is that LiF will turn out into one big grief fiesta with tunnels and all kinda stuff left behind by players that aren’t even playing the game anymore.

Answer: By later, I mean in beta stages. That feature definitely needs to be done, we just simply don't have it in current state of our terraforming engine (and we moved to melee combat development and other tasks).

Question: A follow up question; How limited will terraforming be? Will you be able to terraform other players land in a matter of minutes or will it be time and resources consuming?

Answer: I've mentioned somewhere, that you won't be able to terraform blocked cells (blocked by building or by other kingdom/player property right).

Question: I do know this is expected to be based on realism BUT you have to add some more races and if you do I would suggest making race languages and people won't understand you unless you talk in basic dialect(will there be multiple races and a lang system set up).

Answer: We plan to make 3 race archetypes (no names yet):
- western european like
- viking/slav like
- mongol/arab like

But to be honest it's all about amount of art work to do, and if we'll see that it will delay us greatly - there is a chance that it will be only one race in a release.

Question: Will there be ships?

Answer: Was asked already - we plan them in post release period.

Question: Will there be a Life is Feudal Wiki?

Answer: Sure - either fan driven or hosted by us.

Question: Can you swim or learn to swim?

Answer: Yes, both.

Question: Will there be musical instruments?

Answer: Yes, but not sure if we'll be able to implement good musician skill before release.

Question: What currency will there be?

Answer: Coins of Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Question: Do you have to sleep in game or no?

Answer: Sort of going off-line.

Question: Bobik will you play the game with us or no?

Answer: Nope, I think I won't have time or moral rights to do so. But I will observe it for sure.

Question: Can you climb mountains or only jump like in minecraft?

Answer: You'll be able to climb mountains, some trees, maybe even walls with a good climbing skill level.

Question: How do you guys plan on getting word of your game out? Cause this forum is kind of lacking in numbers.

Answer: I doubt we'll have a huge advertising budget. I hope that game will say for itself, when it comes out. Anyway - time will tell, no certain plans ATM since it's too early.

Question: Is it going to be possible to go solo or is being in a guild/clan essential?

Answer: Solo will be possible, but we will stimulate teamwork more. It's MMORPG and not a single player game after all!

Question: You say you're going to use something similar to sb when it comes to sieges but will you be using other sb like things? ex.the rune droppers that drop runes that give you more abilities?

Answer: Nah, since there will be no PvE (except hunting) there will be no rune droppers, rune camping and such, as it was in SB. I think we'll get inspired by SB siege and political system - nothing else.

Question: What differences does the viking/slav racial group have compared to the western-European one?

Answer: Differences will be designed later. Currently we plan to make it easier for some races to learn certain skills. For example, viking/slavs will be proficient with axes and 2H weapons, western europeans with 1H and shields and plate armors, and arab/mongols with mounted combat and archery. It will be only skill progression difference and not some kind of limitations, so any race will be able to train and master any skill. It's just will be designed to make it easier.
Racial restricted weapons yet to be decided.

Question: Do the races have any major differences other than culture?

Answer: Differences will be designed later. Currently we plan to make it easier for some races to learn certain skills. For example, viking/slavs will be proficient with axes and 2H weapons, western europeans with 1H and shields and plate armors, and arab/mongols with mounted combat and archery. It will be only skill progression difference and not some kind of limitations, so any race will be able to train and master any skill. It's just will be designed to make it easier.
Racial restricted weapons yet to be decided.

Question: No magic in that game? No heals and mainly - no other-heals? (except some regen from food and maybe pots?)
I play with a lot fps games with swords and bows (M&B/Ages of Chivalry, etc) and one thing this games miss to be very good - you can’t heal your teammates and do good support to them. Bandages maybe for healing?

Answer: No instant heals for sure. Maybe something to regain softHP fast, but not hardHP for sure.

Question: What about other-buffs like in DF? In DF its very nice for teamplay. Other-buffs don't last longer and in fight you need found sometimes to regroup, other-buff, heal up and go again.

Answer: Not decided yet. Currently we plan nothing but blessings before battles and weapon sharpening, armor fitting/patching between battles (while traveling or during siege pauses).

Question: Resurrect allowed or no?

Answer: You'll be able to help a knock downed player to regain softHP faster, but dead man is a dead man - he will be resurrected at his bind point.

Question: What about shields in pvp. If i will be shoot in ppl with shield i can hit in his leg/head? Or i just will be hit his shield every time? Shields will be drain stamina when rising? Or will be broken if they catch enough arrows? Or what? I mean - here is not will be infinite blocking? how i can interrupt blocking?

Answer: Pretty much like it was in medieval times. Formation control, situation control, strategy control (like pike mans vs cavalry, heavy knights vs light infantry, cavalry vs ranged units and such). I got your idea, but it won't be like it was in DF - i hope it will be something new.

Question: How much ppl you imagine on your server? 3000 online? 10000? You will use cluster technology or just one-standing server + SQL server maybe? Or one server - one game zone?

Answer: Hard to tell. Of course we currently plan cluster system for our world (like 1 server per 3*3 km block of landmass), but we need to do a lot of optimization and tuning before we ever be able to collect and analyze any performance results. I have an experience from other Torque MMO developers of like 500sh online players per one server. So, in theory, we can have battles of 250vs250 on one terrain block, or 500*47=24 500 players. But it's very rough and i missed a lot of details - real numbers will be way smaller I suspect.

Question: Will all aspects of combat be like M&B? Like melee, archery and mounted combat?

Answer: It won't be a 100% M&B rip off. But most of the things, like it is in M&B will be inspired by reality and we'll try to reproduce that.

Question: There will be no PvE, that means no old fortresses with mobs or anything like that?

Answer: Yup, no dungeons, old fortresses, hidden caves and such, until you want to dig them yourself and inhabit them with your friends.

Question: So with the kingdom thing, you won't be able to build in other peoples territory, what happens then if you have a house somewhere and a nation pops up to surround your little estate?

Answer: That nation will have more rights on your land. It can politely ask you to move somewhere else, join their nation and stay where you are, or simply force you to move by destroying your stuff, since it won't be protected, since it will be on their land. Kinda harsh, but life is feudal.

Question: How will structures be, considering solo players, small guilds, big guilds, large alliances and massive nations?

Answer: I've answer about guild system somewhere earlier. In few words: solo player - property less guild - guild with property - alliance of guilds.

Question: Will the combat be completely skill based, so that solo/small guilds actually with higher skill can beat overwhelming numbers with less skill and organization?

Answer: It is our aim to make combat rather player skill based, then in game skill based. But it might be harder to combat overwhelming numbers in our game (since there will be no powerful buffs, 100500 AoE nukes and a lot of heals). So better avoid being outnumbered or be outnumbered in a choke points.

Question: You might have posted something about this before but can you build underground and make big cities in mountains and under the ground?

Answer: You can't build any solid structures underground, only small devices (anvil, forge, bed, wardrobe and so on).

Question: Will wildlife act like real wildlife and not the usual mob like acting?

Answer: I hope so.

Question: Will hunting be realistic as in skinning and such, so that you wont need to kill 30+ of this or that creature to get a armor set, or will it be kill one bear and you get a hide big enough for 1 perhaps 2 players?

Answer: We will try to make hunting some kind of challenge and fun and so it will be rewarded accordingly. I'm sure it won't be like you standing in the middle of constantly respawning bears and killing them with a speed of one bear per 30 seconds.

Question: Will you be able to wear cloth over armor?

Answer: I believe not. We might implement guild cloaks with emblems in game, or make some armors with cloth over it pre modeled.

Question: Will there be a enviromental weather system like if you are wearing steel armor in snow you freeze or in desert you overheat? And clothing like silk under armor in desert is better and hides in snow will protect you?

Answer: Thought about that. If we have any spare time for that - we will make it.

Question: Will there be any instances, like in sieges or can a third or fourth party come and conquer while others are fighting?

Answer: Sieges won't be instanced (everyone can come). But we plan to make territory battles. It will prearranged battles on a fixed territory, where every side should make a list of participants and only those player, who are listed will be able to battle there - rest players will be booted from that territory and won't be able to join battle, until it ends.

Question: Will the game overall be fast paced or slower?

Answer: Something in between.

Question: Will it take like a day, week or month of real life time to skill up if you are actively doing it for say 8 hours a day?

Answer: Like 1-2 weeks to reach level 90 in a skill, and like half a year/full year to reach 100

Question: Will there be much of a grind?

Answer: No.

Question: Will there be any unique equipment for people participating in Alpha/Beta tests, not OP but different from live equipment?

Answer: Don't think so.

Question: Will there be any big difference between starter equipment and end level equipment or will the game be mostly player skill based?

Answer: There will be a difference, but not that big.

Question: Why people must fight for other territory? I mean, yeah, it’s very fun to fight. But, but what it give to people what win or lose?
In LA2 city give taxes. In your game can we set taxes?
In DF city give binds (nice to have city with good pve spots) and teleport around the world. And some resources in city (Timber, Rare ore mines, Farms). What motivation in gain or destruction of cities and in building kingdoms?

Answer: We will have taxes. So, reasons for waging wars will be: taxes, resources (especially metal mines) and don't forget about political and ego drama.

Question: Will there be a separation of roles in the group, such as a tank, DD, support? Maybe based on equipment or skills/abilities.

Answer: I hope that game will adopt close to realism roles: pikeman, cavalry, heavy cavalry, ranged units, heavy infantry and such. Those will be based on skills and equipment (armor and weapon types mostly).

Question: Will there be some single/crowd control skills/actions(not a spells)? Maybe aimed hit to legs or hands and effect by weapon type?

Answer: Knockdowns, disarms, AoE with arrows are planned.

Question: Do you make some sort of self heal(like a bandages in UO)?

Answer: SoftHP - kinda yes - potions. Hard HP - only to stop bleeding from deep wounds.

Question: What is soft and hard HP, what is is the difference between them?

Answer: Written a bit about that on our site. In few words: HardHP = actual health, SoftHP = consciousness.

Question: I was reading some topics and it appeared to me that there will be no npc traders. How will the game developers add money in the game economy with no npc's? I think the only way that this could happen is adding different currencies for guilds. Or do you have other plans?

Answer: There will be NPC traders in a central NPC city and we plan player vendors but later, after release.

Question: Will the developers prevent that one or two guilds will rule the world of "life is feudal" by restricting the amount of land you can conquer or directly control (for example max: 5% of the world map)?

Answer: Amount of land per guild will be limited, amount of guilds in alliance and their lands - no limitations.

Question: Are Nations/Kingdoms a actual in game mechanic, or is it simply another name for guild controlled land?

Answer: Actual game mechanic. It's alliance of guilds, where one guild is leading and the rest are following. Tributes will be possible also.

Question: I was reading another post regarding tracking... will there be a stealth system that allows you to wreak havoc that way, ala stealthed rogues in WoW? or will everyone have some sort of ability to sneak up on other players? or will you see everyone a mile away?

Answer: There will be no invisibility in any ways. You will have to use obstacles (bushes, trees, landscape features) to hide from enemy or stay behind him. So ye, in theory you will see everyone miles away.

Question: There is mention of solo play. what's that going to be like, especially since there won't be traditional mobs to kill, and lack of quest NPC's?

Answer: Peaceful crafting, your own small shed, small garden, a lot of hunting (since you'll have to travel really far to stay alone and away from major guilds and alliances). It's just another way of gaming, try to shift your way of thinking away from WoW levels, mob farming and battlegrounds arenas.

Question: How big is the world going to be, i read that it is going to span from the fall of rome until pre-gunpowder era. will there be "crusades?"

Answer: World will be 21,5 * 21,5 kilometers = 462,5 sq.km. It's up to players to have crusades or whatever they like to do - we won't force something like that with game mechanics or scripts.

Question: How will you balance ranged vs melee?

Answer: Pretty much like it was in real world - shields>ranged, speed (cavalry)>ranged, range>rest.

Question: What will claiming territory look like?

Answer: Players will have a right to claim territory, it will be visible, if territory rights overlay will be active or simply by getting near that territory. You can't make someone to unacquire his territory, unless you're a leader of country, that have claimed that territory by building city and special building (that cause all territory in some radius to become a territory of that country). In that case you have a right to give or take away personal territory claims to your men. I think we will work out something, that will give some time for previous claimant of that territory to befriend with a new feudal or move to another spot and claim land there.

Question: What do you think your biggest challenge in getting the game completed will be?

Answer: Not really game play related question, but biggest challenge will be to make all that monstrous game to run smooth and lag less, and especially during first days of release or server wide sieges.

Question: How many people can there be maximum in a localized area? ie how many people can you have in your small castle at one time?

Answer: We hope that we can handle up to 300-500 people in a one small area without significant lags. But it's too early to talk about that.

Question: How do you envision the rank/hierarchical structure working? Will there be a world wide set rank, ie only 1 true king in the world?

Answer: No, global ranking won't be game enforced.

Question: What will be the system requirements like for the game? Will the graphics be "scalable"? "Will i be able to play it on a laptop? ( didn’t see requirements mentioned in other threads nor faq).

Answer: We will do our best to make our game as much scalable as possible in a field of graphics. You'll be able to play on a laptop, it all depends on how good your laptop is.

Question: Any environmental effects (ie day/night cycles, weather) in the game, and will it actually affect gameplay?

Answer: There will be day/night cycles and hopefully weather system. But it will affect only players by limiting their visibility.

Question: I want ask about melee combat, how it work ? I heard a podcast but something don't understand. Will only be one swing or no? (I mean it like be only right swing or left swing, or it be and right and left and overhead). If I understand all weapons have be self speed (mb I wrong) and if you have 2H long weapon its speed be low and another if you have 1h short weapon speed be faster.

Answer: It’s gonna be 4 directions of swing (pretty much same in most other games) left-right, right-left, overhead, thrust. Well, yes, 1H weapons will be faster, while 2H are slower. And yes, water is wet and fire is hot.

Question: What's going to be the single largest object a player can build in game?

Answer: I think keep or palace (if we ever gonna let players to build palace). But that might change further in development.

Question: How will work stats in game? ( I mean str con dex and other), will be the differences between race? what a stat cap?

Answer: Not really worked out fully. There will be 5 stats and they will affect game play in direct way (like strength will add to melee damage) and indirect way as primary/secondary stats of skills. There will be a stat cap.

Question: Will there be a crosshair or no?(I like how it released in age of chivalry).

Answer: There will be a crosshair at least with ranged weapons and no weapons (to select objects or players to interact).

Question: Great question!!! LIF will be only in English?

Answer: Release plan is only English. We will provide localization lately, when we have time and resources for that.

Question: What will traveling be like? Will there be any sort of "fast travel?"

Answer: There will be Run/Sprint in game.

Question: In goha.ru Xseven say about styles in melee, like DAOC. This way or that is in fact?

Answer: I doubt that we will have some styles or whatever coded. It will be pretty much like M&B melee.

Question: In game will be collision? I mean characters will pass through one another or no?

Answer: Yes there is a collision in game and players collide each other too.

Question: I like FPV. I can play only in FPV(like in M&B and Age of Chivalry)? Because I read old interactive FAQ and you say that:"1st person view won't be forced at all, for instance, unsheathing a melee weapon will bring a close behind back 3rd person camera view." For me FPV more realistic and give me greater immersion in the game, 3rd person not give me that.

Answer: We will allow to switch back to FPV even if you got melee weapon unsheathed.

Question: I saw the towers in the screenshots.... they look awesome! That makes me wonder. After the tower/wall is built, at a later time can you make them taller? Essentially, could you modify it after it is built to make it look different, or BE different without having to tear it down and start over?

Answer: No, you won't be able to alter already built buildings or it’s modules.

Question: Can a melee hit on two standing near targets? I mean, if hit by slashes. Or will kick in only the first, as implemented in Mortal Online.

Answer: No, only first one will be hit.

Question: Will there be GM's? As they would choose if they will?

Answer: I think there will be some GMs but we won't pick them among players for sure.

Question: Will there be one and a half arms? (1H/2H weapon, I mean bastard and other), that we could take it in one hand, and in two hands.

Answer: Yes, we plan to make those.

Question: Will FF be on? (friendly fire)

Answer: Yes. FF 100% on always.

Question: Will be groups or no? (I mean like in other MMO or it be like in Mortal Online)

Answer: I think we gonna have Darkfall groups - so you can see their bars, have same chat room and see them at a distance, but nothing more.

Question: I can see HP,stamina and etc my enemy or no? What will I see, when I target my enemy in crosshair?

Answer: Only hard and softHP, but that might change further in development.

Question: Will be siege machines? (catapults, ballistas, and others).

Answer: Yes, but not sure if we are going have them at release.

Question: Will the beta be like Mortal and 99.99% of other betas and we just get on and play (after providing a code or some means) or will it be like Xsyon (aka the WORST beta style possible) and be paid beta?

Answer: We will see later in development. Anyway, I don't like paid beta idea at all and will do my best to avoid that.

Question: I know you said no npcs.... but I’d really love to see taming implemented... taming was my fave part of mortal till they nerfed it so bad that anyone who uses it is a tard. (used to have me and 5 friends go into keeps with minotaurs as pets... took 20-30 people to beat us.

Answer: NPC<>mobs. We will have NPCs in starter city, I hope we will have player vendor NPCs, and we will have wild animals mobs, most of those will be tamable and will be converted in domestic animals after tame (like aurochs -> cow).

Question: Any word about thieves? Will thievery be in game? In what form? Snooping, pilfering people, open their locked houses with lockpicks and rob them?

Answer: Have not yet decided about stealing.

Question: How do you plan to balance PVP between different classes. I mean (archers versus melee, etc.)?

Answer: Shields>archers in most cases, Archers can't kite some lightly armored troops, archers can't avoid mounted units much. On other hand, archers can kite other troops, can hide in hard places for cavalry and so on.

Question: How will you balance the different types of weapons and armor? I would not want that to be LIF was a similar situation as in Mortal Online, which currently are OP horse archers and foot with a halberd.

Answer: You will see.

Question: Bobik, what is your personal vision on the archer vs melee (and mounted archer vs foot melee)?

Answer: Shields>archers in most cases, Archers can't kite some lightly armored troops, archers can't avoid mounted units much. On other hand, archers can kite other troops, can hide in hard places for cavalry and so on.

Question: Will there be different types of damage (piercing, slashing, crushing), and whether the armor on ways to protect them?

Answer: Yes, there will be different types of damage.

Question: What materials can craft weapons and armor?

Answer: Don't really understand that question. Metal, leather, padded. No mythril of other fantasy metals.

Question: How will defend the shield in LIF? As in M​&B? Would it be possible for the raised shield to hit the opponent's feet?

Answer: Yes, in our current state of hit detection system you can hit legs of blocking player.

Question: Bobik, you were talking about permanent death. What is your vision?

Answer: There will be no permadeath, at least not at release.

Question: Since the opportunity to incapacitate the enemy without killing him, can I capture an enemy?

Answer: No, you can't. But we will think about options to demand a ransom for sparing opponents life.

Question: Will there be a prison or something like that? It would be possible to implement execution (of all kinds, hanging, cutting off of heads, quartering, etc.).

Answer: Nothing like that.

Question: Will there be slavery or life in prison, in captivity?

Question:Will the player will get old?

Question: Will there be food and what role will it play in the world and the player?

Answer: RTFM on our site.

Question: Game Settings. Can I configure the keys as I want? For example do different strikes on a single button?

Answer: Yes.

Question: Can you name at least rough the system requirements?

Answer: Not right now. The more modern your rig will be - the better.

Question: Pets. How many pets can be a character?

Answer: We plan no pets, at least not in classic MMORPG meaning.

Question: How many metals (steel, copper, bronze, etc.) will be in the game?

Answer: Not decided fully yet. But there will be no magic or fantasy metals. Only precious and common.

Question: Will there be global map, global chat?

Answer: One global map, but no global chat.

Question: Teleport?

Answer: Only recall planned ATM.

Question: Can we learn about religion? What they give, whether they should or can do without them? What will work?

Answer: Not now - it's not designed fully yet.

Question: Would it be possible to repair weapons, armor, etc.?

Answer: Yes, it will be possible.

Question: Will it be possible to breed animals, engage in farming?

Question: Would it be possible to create food, like: milk, bread, cheese, butter, etc.?

Question: Will there be a large variety of weaponry at our disposal? It seems most sandbox MMOs suffer a lack of variety or a few overpowered weapons rendering others useless.

Answer: We will try to bring all major medieval weapon types into our game and also, we'll do our best to keep them balanced. We believe, that major aspect of choosing one weapon over another should be players combat style and not just DPS numbers.

Question: Will certain structures only be able to be damaged / destroyed by siege weapons?

Answer: All structures can be damaged and destroyed by siege weaponry, but only at certain conditions (war, siege).

Last edited by Styo on 09 Oct 2013, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

Styo
Alpha Tester

Re: Organized FAQ Archive

Post by Styo » 09 Oct 2013, 11:49

Question: What is the game coded in?

Answer: C++, we use Torque Engine for rendering.

Question: Are there any regional buildings? (I.e. mud-brick buildings for desert, timber houses for forests, stone brick & etc).

Answer: Players with architect skill will be able to build some buildings with their racial style.

Question: Any plans for "free" accounts with the subscription upgrade model?

Answer: Probably not.

Question: Any plans yet about a soundtrack? Will different regions/cultures soundtracks change, or will it be universal?

Answer: No plans on soundtrack yet, it's not our priority ATM.

Question: Is there a more detailed map created yet then the one on the main website of the game world?

Question: I am rather confused on combining Arab and Mongol into one race since they are pretty distinct in their architecture, military, and customs. Is there a way to bring one in the game and slowly bring the others along like Chinese, Japanese, and Indian?

Answer: When we talk about race archetypes in our game, you should keep in mind, that our races are fictional. So it's not just a combination of real life races, it's just our own in game race but with some details (not all) from some real life races. There is no plans for new races yet.

Question: Is there going to be influence from other cultures like African and Native American tribes in the game somehow?

Question: Is this going to be forested like europe is or is LiF going to have environments such as deserts and cold landscapes [good way to add more arab and african influence]?

Answer: We will try to create all major climate ecosystems (tundra, desert, forests, plains, rivers, swamps and so on).

Question: I read that there is no PvE and crusades depend on us. So is there possible way to include world events like Mongol Horde and the Plague? Where players are sometimes forced to work together in the common cause even though they are rivals [like richard the I and Philip ...}

Answer: There certainly will be some events in our game.

Question: Will we be able to hire npc and pc assassins?

Answer: No NPC assassins and it's up to you, if you'll be able to find player assassin.

Question: In LiF will be able to build wonders or buildings to boost morale or stats in a region? Taj Mahal or Cathedral?

Answer: There will be no global buildings, but certainly, there will be country/fief wide buildings, that will provide some benefits to it's residents. Something like national wonders in terms of Civilization IV/V.

Question: I am going to assume armor will affect you during combat, so is there going to be different fighting styles to incorporate the best use of weight of armor? In other words if I wear cloth armor can I trip someone or evade heavily armored person?

Answer: Armor will affect your speed for sure and in theory you might try to avoid almost 2m 2-handed sword swings, but it might be bad for you health, if you fail.

Question: Last but not least probably, Will there be monthly or bi yearly storyline and map updates to see how the world is evolving and changing over time? [I saw it on a website how EVE changed over time with various factions strengthening and weakening].

Answer: Yes, we do have plans for such mechanics.

Question: How influential will religion be in LiF, is there a chance where one religion will dominant society like Catholic Church or Islam? and if so will there be a GM Pope or Player Pope?

Answer: There will be only one major religion in our world and maybe just some denominations of that religion. We do have some plans about player Pope and his powers, but it's not in our plans for release period.

Question: Will there be a possibility of having jousting, archery, or sword tournaments held in kingdoms?

Answer: It's up to you - players. We certainly won't build game mechanics for those tournaments.

Question: Will players or gms be able to develop secret societies?

Answer: Again, it's player driven decision.

Question: How in-depth will player-run organizations be able to be customized? Will we be able to create flags, banners, emblems and insignia, and be able to organize its structure? Maybe created out of game and OK'd by the dev team before use?

Answer: We plan to create heraldry generator for ingame organizations. And we do plan to make it possible to apply that heraldry on shields (not sure about capes).

Question: When someone makes a tunnel/mine, will you be able to dig on top of the tunnel and make a new opening?

Answer: In our current terraforming system we have a limitation: vertical height between two tunnels can not be less than 1 meter (1 meter between ceiling of lower tunnel and floor of upper tunnel). So, answering your question, you can't intersect two tunnels strictly one above another. But you can intersect them on neighboring cells.

Question: Can I connect a tunnel to another one that is already made, and how will they connect. Lets say there is a flat tunnel that is 15 underground and one that is barely under the surface. If they connect will it make a steep slope between them?

Answer: In our current terraforming system we have a limitation: vertical height between two tunnels can not be less than 1 meter (1 meter between ceiling of lower tunnel and floor of upper tunnel). So, answering your question, you can't intersect two tunnels strictly one above another. But you can intersect them on neighboring cells.

Question: How many players will be calculated 1 cluster?

Answer: No information yet.

Question: Cyrillic is supported in the game?

Answer: Will be.

Question: What are your thoughts on far eastern influences such as japan, making it into the game? if not at launch later on. other communities (cRPG) get upset if items don't look generic european, which is very boring. I personally think that as a fantasy game based on historic cultures you should ideally represent all feudal cultures, the more variety the better.

Answer: We're planning to have 3 race archetypes, and one of them will be somewhat arab/byzantine/mongol mix, so that should be a diversity you're looking for. Japans might be introduced later in expansions.

Question: Will trees spawn in the world? Will they grow? Will they spread and form forests if unchecked?

Answer: Yes, but quite slowly. Attended forestry will provide better growth of forests.

Question: Will pre-designed structures like the windmill have a purpose? Be enterable?

Answer: Yes, they will. Windmill is already enterable and it's role (you'll be surprised) will be mass refinement of farming crops.

Question: Are you able to dig on any part of the map? Or is some terrain like mountains and stone not terra formable?

Answer: Terraforming in our case is 1) lowering/raining terrain level 2) digging of tunnels. So, some substances will allow both of those actions, some will allow only one (no digging in sand, no leveling of mountains).

Question: Will wars/pvp be fought mostly over the control of areas with better/rarer resources, rather than just for lols or e-peen? I really hope you stick to EVE idea of areas of very high risk/reward and safe areas with lower rewards, so that pvp is constant in certain areas of map. spending hours looking for pvp in darkfall was number 1 reason to quit the game for me.

Answer: We're on the same page here, about PvP, EvE security status zones and such. I'm pretty much sure, that there will be plenty of reasons to wage territorial wars and minor neighbor raids.

Question: To what extent will character skill factor into PvP vs player skill. In many games new players, rightly or wrongly, are turned off joining an existing server due to the perception that their character will be too far behind. This will be true even if the skill up time is fast as you intend. In terms of damage done, chance to hit and damage sustained will a highly skilled character be 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500% better than a freshly minted character. Hopefully player skill clearly trumps character skill.

Answer: That's true in our game we will aim for player skill to be above character skill. For instance, there will be NO chance to hit formulas or anything like that - if you managed to land a blow, then you managed to deal a damage. It's really hard to answer precisely on your question, but let's assume, that player skill will be 3 times more important, than character skill. And if under player skill we mean no only pure reflex/aiming in combat, but also good understanding of game mechanics, good personal/country economy management, good social/diplomacy skills, than such ratio can be even 10:1.

Question: Are PvP skills primarily weapon proficiency type skills. If so, how much of an effect would no skill in say longsword have versus nearly 90 skill?

Answer: Most combat skills are weapon proficiency skills, that add some effects to certain attack directions or body part hits, but there also will be armor proficiency, formation control skill, first aid and few other useful skills in combat. Answering your question, main effect of weapon proficiency skill level will be effective quality of weapon, that you wield. So a highly skilled player with Q=1 longsword and a newbie with Q=10 longsword will have equal DPS, except that newbie won't lay some additional effects with his blows.
But, highly skilled player will be able to wield Q=90 longsword, that will have roughly 50% more DPS (it's far from final balance, since our combat math model is not fully finished yet - not our priority ATM), but that will be very expensive sword and not many high skilled players will be able to afford to lose them in PvP.

Question: Will there be any game mechanics to discourage zerging. In a server of 5000 players will there be anything to discourage a 1000 man zerg kingdom? For example slower skill gain, healtime, disease etc as a function of population density.

Answer: Short answer: no. Because:
1. You can never make a 100% successful zerg detection algorithm. Even if you will penalty highly populated countries/alliances nothing prevents them from disbanding that alliance in minor countries, but still be allied "de facto" and help each other financially or with manpower.
2. I don't see a reason for that. In UO, SB, DF i've been always on the other side of zerg, i've never liked it and such. But i've seen many times, that if some entity become a server wide zerg other players react on that and make everything to destroy it and in all cases that is successful. And those server wide wars bring a lot of drama and fun too. It's just next tier of free PvP.
On first tier you can be ganked, which means that you fail to avoid and/or counter gank, so you have 2 options: quit playing or learn and improve. On second tier your group/guild can be zerged, which means that you fail to avoid and/or counter zerg, so you have 2 options: quit playing or learn and improve.
3. Big population will lead to a bigger territory claim, that means it will be harder to defend and it will be more vulnerable to raids. And packing a lot of people in one castle will make them less effective in most of crafts.

Question: Could you please explain to me in a bit more detail how I would go about constructing a building square by square after I've flattened the ground?

Answer: There are few construction ways:
1. build a whole building (like we did with windmill on our video) - and cells logic affect only how many cells you should flatten for that building.
2. build a fence or castle wall square by square - you will have to flatten enough cells for each block.
3. plan your house, setting every wall, window,and door sections and then complete construction
Not sure that i have answered your question, but that should be enough for now.

Question: When one makes armor will they be able to customize it, and if I can to what extent: can I for example make a crusader helmet and make it look anything like the helmet you see on my avatar; and maybe even change the slit to a series of small holes like a gladiator helmet?

Answer: You'll be able to customize some item type only by performing an exceptional craft resulting in your name being save in weapon description as a maker. No visual customization will be possible.

Question: Will my character be able to get sick and if left unnoticed and untreated die, and if yes can there be room for plagues and epidemics?

Answer: Not in release for sure. But having different kinds of wounds and fractures after battles will be enough for first time in my opinion.

Question: From what I've read night will have low visibility which is great but will night offer any other features; like hazardous perils like wolfs and cold temperatures that affect status of health, and other things like a change in the tide?

Answer: Increased predator animals spawn chance that will result in wolf attacks - sounds as a good idea - i think we'll implement that. No, there will be no temperature effects on a player himself (furnace, oven, bloomery temperature rates are not counted ^) )

Question: How are you going to name the Alchemy skill? (e.g. Phlogiston or further back like old wives tales?)

Answer: Alchemy sounds good - i see no reasons for using other names.

Question: How is the Alchemy skill going to be organized (e.g. you gather ingredients and make, or will it be more complex?)

Answer: Don't want to disclose ATM, but it should be interesting and not that standard as in other RPGS or MMOs.

Question: What will the server borders be like? Will the server edge be land or water?

Answer: Water. You must have seen the map on our site.

Question: How will land be controlled? I’ve read what you said about controlling land and that the size of your land is dependent on how many people you have, but is there any other restrictions to claiming land? Also, will I drop some sort of marker and the controlled land will be AxB tiles with the marker in the center? Please explain?

Answer: You can have a personal claim, which you can place on any part of land that is not owned by any country (you will be able to select cells you wish to claim but they all must be adjacent) and you can place a country claim (if you're a leader of that country) which will take some territory on a radius based pattern. If some other country placed their claim right next to your border - they will move your border a bit - if you've played Civilization 4 you might remember cultural borders and the way they expand and contest territory around cities. So in our case level of central monument will affect "power" of border expansion of your country so you might want to invest a lot of resources and workforce into that monument.

Question: You said "You can't make someone to unacquire his territory, unless you're a leader of country, that have claimed that territory by building city and special building (that cause all territory in some radius to become a territory of that country). In that case you have a right to give or take away personal territory claims to your men."
Does one have to be allies of some sort to establish a country around other territories? The way you make is seem is that one can establish a country and quickly disband all territories that he does not like. Please explain?

Answer: I have answered partially that question above. So, basically, personal claims.

Question: Will creation/crafting skills be broad or more defined? Such as I have an armor smithing, weapon smithing, and blacksmithing skill. Or just one Smithing skill that affects all created items from smithing equally?

Answer: There will be Forging and Armor smithing skills. Don’t know if that will be broad or not.

Question: Will I lose reputation if I lock pick/destroy someone's house that is not on a claim?

Answer: You won't be able to lock pick houses, but yes, assaulting on someones property will cause a change of your alignment.

Question: How can I take over someone's claim or remove it? By means of force that is.

Answer: You can't, unless you're a leader of country, that claimed that area.

Question: Can you explain what decay will affect and how much?

Answer: Things will disappear if they're not used or maintained. How fast that will be will be balanced in game later.

Question: Do you think you could post an actual picture of the map and perhaps a list of skills?

Answer: There is a map on our site and we got nothing more accurate at the moment. Skills list is still being reworked constantly, so no - I can't.

Question: Any ideas yet as to where the start town (spawning point) will be located on the map?

Answer: Just look on the map closer - there is a town almost in the center of the map.

Question: What items will each player spawn with?

Answer: I think there will be no items at all. Players will be able to find and use some basic resources (stones, flint, branches, plant fibers) to make themselves some primitive tools which later can be used to craft other things and more advanced tools too.

Question: I've seen you mention that players will not take alignment hits when "murdering" players of realms/kingdoms they are at war with. Will the war dec function work like in DFO with a specific amount of time before the war is turned active and you can kill said players, or will it be instant?

Answer: Of course with a timeout. It's a standard not only DFO, but in most PvP games.

Question: Since there will be no regeneration of resources, people will have to fight over control of them as you've said. But will there be any form of protection of these resources like there is for personal structures/items on realm land while not at war, or will players have to physically be online and fight to stop outsiders from taking these precious materials?

Answer: Online guard duty of your precious resources is totally boring and not interesting. If those resources are located on a country claimed land - they are protected against everyone who is not in a state of war with that country.If those resources are just near claimed territory or just somewhere else on map - whoever stronger will be able to exploit them.

Question: I can understand why there would be no visible customization to equipment during development, but please tell me that you will at least think about doing it post release.... think of the children.

Answer: I think that it is a good and interesting feature and we will implement it as soon as main game play features will be done and running smooth.

Question: What kind of animals can be found in your LIF world? I would like to hear the number of animals, so what would be a couple of their names?

Answer: Few types of horses
Bear
Wild horse
Deer (male)
Hind (female)
Wolf
Moose
Boar
Sow (female boar)
Mutton
Aurochs bull
Aurochs cow
Grouse
Hare
Cow
Bull
Sheep
Pig

Question: Will there be damage that will require intervention of healers / doctors? Will the appropriate abilities for healing? For example, fractures, sprains, bleeding, temporary blindness. All sorts of diseases that may affect the characteristics of the character, his fighting ability.
I liked this Fallout. There I was once in a melee broke both arms, one leg and knocked the eye. How long after that, I hobbled to the nearest doctor?

Answer: There will be wounds of different severity and fractures. Amount of effects of those states will be balanced later.

Question: I was just checking the main page of the website for any updates/news I might of missed you upload, love the new screenshots by the way, and I noticed this PS line at the bottom of the Key Features page I never noticed before.
"P.S. No, there will be no four legged running, since we understand that it will unbalance our game"
This refers to player four legged running and not horseback correct?

Answer: It's just a bit of irony, that only some fans of other MMORPG project can understand. Just ignore it. We will have horses and people won't run on 4 legs, neither they will have four legs.

Question: Maintenance/Decay System in LiF. What's that going to be like? Will there be a way to auto-pilot it, ie it would be tedious to have to click MAINTAIN on EVERYTHING. or will there be some sort of go to spot "X" and hit okay (pay for maintenance) and all the stuff you want to pay for maintenance (from a drop down) is maintained?

Answer: Well, first of all we should distinct small objects (crafting devices, furniture, small decorations and such) from bigger construction objects (fences, walls, houses, buildings, fortifications).
Small objects that are placed inside buildings will have almost no decay and will need almost no maintenance.
Small objects that are placed outside buildings will decay really fast and there will be no way to mass repair them.
Bigger objects placed outside claimed territories (either personal or kingdom claimed tiles) will also decay at increased speed and also will have no ways to maintain them en masse.
Bigger objects that are placed inside claimed territories will have rather slow decay rate, but still you will have to repair each object individually and not with gold - you will have to perform repair actions.
tl;dr: There will be no way to repair everything in one click, but that will only be needed for bigger construction objects and not that often.

Question: Whether the game adds the ability to write in Cyrillic and other foreign languages?

Answer: It is already possible in chat, but we will think to do something, to cease any other languages use in general chat except English. I personally don't want another "war song chat" in our game to happen.

Question: When will be the official announcement of the game, like it is not there?

Answer: Some time between closed and open betas.

Question: Are you going to make an FAQ or announcement of the game in Russian language and/or Russian community?(such as goha.ru)

Answer: Will see. Probably yes.

Question: What are the odds of a Law system tied into the bounty hunting world PvP that was discussed in http://www.lifeisfeudal.com/community/f ... =5&id=1645
Eskaldar also opened a thread about 'Execution' that ties in quite closely with this, what's your opinion?

Answer: To be decided later. My occasional thoughts are revealed in that topic.

Question: Will there be different kind of horses; so we can ride heavy and strong, but slow horses, light and fast, but weak (they cannot carry much weight) horses and horses in between those two. Will there be a special breeding system for those horses?

Answer: simple - not a warhorse, will stand on a hind legs and most probably dismount a rider if receives any damage
simple warhorse - will not stand on a hind legs from damage, basic warhorse
spirited warhorse - fast, but low HP warhorse
hardy warhorse - a bit heavier and slower, but more HP and stamina
heavy warhorse - armored warhorse (take a look on concept section on our website for renders) - most HP, most weight, slowest
About breeding system - to be fully decided later. But in current state: only simple horses can be bred, Q of 2 horses with some random amount effect on Q of resulting horse. Simple horses can be trained to become a warhorse, and during that train random suffix may appear on a warhorse (spirited, hardy, heavy). Heavy horses should be equipped with a horse armor (coming from armorsmith).

Question: How will aiming polearms work on horseback, will it be free full motion? Also what about other melee weapons.

Answer: Typical pole arms (halberd, glaive, guisarme etc.) might won't work on horseback for balance sake, but spear-like pole arms (lances, pikes, spears) will work, and ye we will do our best to make it free aiming. and aiming system will be as much free as possible as for pole arms and for other 1h weapons.

Question: Will there be any form of in game graphical communication? Such as LoL / Dota 2 drawing on the minimap? I'd love to be able to at least ping my map for the guys I'm fighting with.

Answer: Most certainly not. And there will be no minimap or radar either. Only one large scale global map, without pings and such.

Question: What kind of mounts will we be able to ride? Will i be able to ride a Elk?

Answer: No Elk, deer, boars or bears as a mount! Only different types of horses, including armored heavy horses. You can take a look at them at the bottom of our Concept art page.

Question: As far as crafting armor and weapons go; will each item be able to be crafted out of each type of metal? Or will we need a combination of different metals to create different types of armor?

Answer: You'll be able to combine different metals/alloys in your armor and that all will affect armor quality. Some crafting recipes will demand a certain metal/alloy for them.

Question: Will the ore that we have mined have to be refined?

Answer: You will have to smelt your refined ore in a furnace, bloomery or forge.

Question: Can you please elaborate on the metal vein system of mining?

Answer: It is simple - you dig your tunnel, and when you see one of newly created tunnel block walls shows metal scraps - that means that you have hit an ore vein. You can use Prospecting skill to determine how close/far are you to a certain type of ore, so you can plan your tunnel digging operations better.

Question: Could you explain the PvP rules in general?
Like, can anyone be attacked anywhere? Are there safe zones, or other rules to prevent peaceful players getting killed while minding their own business?
I am not much into PvP and I would like to play the game peacefully constructing buildings, tunnels and developing the world. Should I be worried about getting killed/raided a lot while not being a warmonger?

Answer: tl;dr You should.
Why? Because life is feudal. But that doesn't mean that killing will occur non stop and there will be no ways to prevent it. Aspects that will lower random PK odds:
1. Alignment - those who kill innocents will receive a huge alignment hit and negative alignment means a huge loss of skills if he die and longe respawn timer (waaay longer)
2. Safe zone around central NPC city or special buildings in your player city that will provide similar safe zone will provide you much combat advantage incase you got jumped on.
3. As it is usual in such games - joining a strong player driven kingdom will ensure that no one will want to mess with you (or they will mess first then cry about zerg after.
So, as i've said - you should be worried about getting killed/raided, but if you're good - you will be able to lower these odds.

Question: Will there be jumping or only climbing for scaling walls/fences, etc? Will I be able to jump over a low fence?

Answer: You will be able to jump over small obstacles, some fences. Other fences and walls would require you to have a higher level of climbing skill.

Question: Bobik you mention about a player with negative aliment will lose skills when he dies? i will most likely be negative all the time this worries me because what if 50 players "Bindcamp" me at my bed? then they can reduce my character back down to nothing? how will you prevent this from happening.

Answer: Ask your friends to mop up area around your ressurection point, do not rez and wait when they will grow tired of camping, do not go that much negative. And do remember golden UO rule: Res-kill is not a harassment - it's a stupidity of a victim.

Question: Is Skill lose set in stone?

Answer: Pretty much yes. But we will provide numerous ways to lower or negate that loss through high alignment, blessings and other ways.

Question: Will there be tabards/etc, capes, customizable symbols etc? If I conquer someones keep can I place my logo around it etc.. Can I design a logo for myself/clan?

Answer: Yes, we plan such functionality, but maybe closer to release or shortly after release.

Question: Will there be "floaty texts", telling you exactly who people are before you're even introduced?

Answer: Not exactly sure what are you talking about, but yes - there will be Name-Surname, Title, Guild Name floating above player models with different color markups depending on their political state with your guild or their alignment.

Question: Will "Kingdom" taxes/tributes be automated? (Not having it so would require player organisation, interaction and give more than a few occasions for leaders to come down on their sub-ordinates.)

Answer: They will be automated, at least we will try to do our best to implement that.

Question: Will players be able to "flag" other players?

Answer: I'm afraid there will be no personal standings system in close time, but it is certainly a good feature and will be implemented someday later.

Question: You have mentioned that upon death, the respawn timer will be longer for someone with low alignment. Can you give me an estimate on how long a person with full alignment and a person with half alignment will take to re pawn?

Answer: Respawn times won't change that much or maybe even won't change at all - it is not FPS multiplayer, when every second counts. Negative alignment characters will suffer a greater skill losses and maybe longer resurrection sickness.

Question: When it comes to collecting resources you said you will implement a mini-game option. Will there be an incentive to collect resources the traditional method(in-game)?

Answer: I think you misunderstood minigames conception a bit.
1. Mini games are designed not only for resource gathering, but for some crafts too
2. Mini games can be skipped by either choosing an autocraft option or pulling a minigame result from your results pool
3. No matter if you are playing a minigame or not - you will collect resources and perform actions in-game, not from some browser or something like that.

Question: It was stated that if a realm is established on a particular resource, this resource is off limits to anyone not allied in some sort to the lord of the realm unless another order or realm is at war with this realm. My understanding is that I, a lord of another realm, can declare war on a realm and when war is officially declared after a certain time, I am able to go onto the enemies land and harvest this resource unlimited as long as the war is ongoing?

Answer: Yes, of course, and that is called raiding. Political/war systems are not in their finals, but we will surely make it so, that declaring a war would be possible only when you have something to put at stake, so your raiding can be punished by returned raiding, or assets destruction or even sieging of your city.

Question: During a state of war with another realm I am allowed to attack any part of their claimed land and attack any member of the realm without alignment loss? And can I take control of a city or realm while at war or is that only during a siege?

Answer: Yes, you can attack assets and players of another country you are at war with without any alignment penalties. One detail must be taken in a note: there will be a city/castle territory and "suburb" territory. When you place a calming monument it will claim a part of territory around it - that will be city/castle territory. Further upgrade of that monument will claim more lands around it, but that will be "suburb" territory - city territory will remain as it is.
So, when your country in a state of war - it's "suburb" lands can be easily raided, assets destroyed and so on. But City/castle territory will still be immune to any damage. That invulnerability is removed during siege phases - which is another story.

Question: Is there going to be a shipwright skill or similar feature constructing ships from the ground up?

How many different types of ships are planned for release?

Will there be naval combat?

Will you be able to move quantities of produce ie rare resources or finished produce in larger ships?

Answer: Ships, shipbuilding, naval combat are planned as features of first post release patches/expansions. And yes, everything mentioned above will be possible.

Question: Will there be carts or wagons and will you be able to use carts or wagons to move resources about?

Answer: Yes. You will be able to use Wheelbarrow, Cart, Trader cart to carry large amount of goods. Also, you will be able to use your back to move different in game objects (furniture, tree logs etc.)

Question: Will there be a maintenance fee players must pay to keep their claimed land?

Answer: Yes. Details will be provided later.

Question: How will building structures like houses or keeps work? Will we just build pre-designed buildings or can we (based off of skills) build the foundation, then the walls, then add stories for height and finally the roof?

Answer: Right now you can build pre-designed buildings and use pre-designed wall sections/towers/gatehouses to build your own castle perimeter. We plan to implement per wall house construction later.

Question: Will there be a fast way to knock down walls or structures on and off claimed land like using a large Maul? (This question is referring to tools or weapons outside of siege weapons ie. "I don't like that wall there I want to knock it down and rebuild it").

Answer: Structures off claimed land will decay relatively fast and will receive increased damaged, so tearing them down should not be a great problem. For structures on YOUR claimed land - we will make some kind of tool to instantly destroy them.

Question: Is there a bonus to the amount of damage a player can deliver to items they wish to destroy or remove on reclaimed land as opposed to off claimed land?

Answer: Mentioned above.

Question: Can untamed animals become untamed again?

Answer: Yes, after server restart. You'd better place them into barn or stable.

Question: If I mine above another mining tunnel or below another mine tunnel, will this form a drop shaft as in Wurm Online?

Answer: No No No. Our terraforming engine is 100% 3-dimensional and you can create almost any combinations of tunnels, big and small rooms and so on.

Question: What will determine the amount of crops obtained from farming a single tile?

Answer: Quality of soil these crops are growing on.

Question: Can you build a bridge?

Answer: Nope, not after release, but we will surely make it later. Right now we're implementing Pier that can be built per square, but unless we have working ships - those piers are purely decorative and ships won't be able to pass them.

Question: Any updates on the type of payment method your looking at using once released given today's more popular options?

Answer: To be announced later. Probably b2p with small vanity shop, but that's not final decision.

Question: What will happen if someone dig tunnel and cross someone else's tunnel. Will both tunnels merge, or is there some mechanic that prevents that. I'm curious mostly because it would be really easy to make tunnels for opposing army using mining shafts etc.

Answer: They will merge. There will be no such things like "my tunnel" or "his tunnel". Tunnel is a tunnel and there will be no limitations on working with them. Another part of story, that entrance to one tunnel maybe on someone's claimed land (private or realm - does not matter) so only owner of that land will be able to enter and leave that tunnel freely ... until "someone dig tunnel and cross someone else's tunnel". Only surface of land and buildings on it will be protected by divine law of private property rights.

Return to General Discussion