Zealous Believer

Re: Custom Map / Map Editor

Post by Nothing_Personal » 22 Apr 2017, 13:59

Nyuton wrote:Next update is here!

http://nyuton.net/terratool-1-3-0-is-here/

Code: Select all
1.3.0       2017-04-22
--------------------------
* New Feature: Added ability to upload own maps to TerraTool and distribute them to servers.
* New Feature: Added ability to share uploaded maps with the community.
* Map Generator: Added new modification for the original map: The Umbrella
* Map Generator: Seperated this page in 4 categories:
   - TerraTool Official Maps
   - User Created Maps
   - My Uploaded Maps
   - Original Map Patches
* Map Generator: Max. altitude range for custom maps extended 25 meters in each direction (now 125.0 - 375.0)
* Map Generator: Minimum altitude for original map patches increased from 30.0 to 50.0 meters.
* Map Generator: Made forest soil algorithm selectable for original map modifications too.
* Statistics: Added 2nd pie chart to display trending maps (data of last 7 days). Added 'user map' slices to both charts.
* Dashboard: In job list, 'Time added' will show local user time instead of server time.
* Downloads: Added note about minimap uninstallation. Minor text/instructions edits.
* General: Increased max. daily jobs for Free User with trusted Steam status to 5 and for Supporters to 20.

Thank you!

Larainan

Post by Larainan » 23 Apr 2017, 10:23

Love the maps. Is anyone else having trouble with tracking and animals that are spawning inside the world? When I track an animal sometimes I see tracks ither times the tracks show up up my characters back instead of on the ground. https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 226C4EB3C/

I have a grouse track on my head.

Sebastian002
True Believer

Post by Sebastian002 » 23 Apr 2017, 12:27

if i want the maps with the exra islands on a basic map will it overwrite the current terraforming or add the new island on the bottem ?

or is it only possible on a new server installation with this map addon ?

Nyuton
Mod Developer

Post by Nyuton » 23 Apr 2017, 13:09

Sebastian002 wrote:if i want the maps with the exra islands on a basic map will it overwrite the current terraforming or add the new island on the bottem ?

or is it only possible on a new server installation with this map addon ?

It's meant to add new terrain to existing servers. Nothing will be overwritten. You could apply them on a 2 yr old server and it would change nothing on the main island.

Is anyone else having trouble with tracking and animals that are spawning inside the world? When I track an animal sometimes I see tracks ither times the tracks show up up my characters back instead of on the ground. https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 226C4EB3C/

We've seen this happen occasionally, yes. The animal tracks are drawn 'onto' the NavMesh and for some reason, the NavMesh on custom maps is imprecise when compared to the original one. But it has never been a game breaking issue unless there was no new NavMesh file created after map installation. In that case you should do what the Troubleshooting Page recommends for animal related problems.

For the most part, you will sometimes see gaps in the animals tracks and when you walk into their line, it will draw the track (which is actually floating in the air) on your character model.
My Blog | Custom Maps & Tools for LiF:YO server owners on FeudalTools

Metal

Post by Metal » 30 Apr 2017, 10:16

Atm it seems grid node and number of players is hardcoded in engine or in sql.

With finding out the grid node, we coud add/expand a lot more maps on one server.

I'm sure some skilled data miner could find out this for us.

Know... don't even start with "it's imposoble" it's not logical. Nothing is imposoble btw.

Valvegas1

Post by Valvegas1 » 22 Jun 2017, 02:50

I'm trying to make a new map to share with everyone and i'm running into an issue. it only makes cliffs at the edges and no beaches. I have tried tweaking the greyscale image to blend from dark to light more and it still only makes cliffs...even changing the max height value doesn't help...is there a special way to go about this? what can i do to remedy it?

Nyuton
Mod Developer

Post by Nyuton » 22 Jun 2017, 13:53

If it places stone instead of sand at the edges, you're going from black to gray too fast, so the terrain would be very steep.

Note that one pixel equals one tile, black is -10m and the lightest pixel on the heightmap is your configured max altitude.

Valvegas1

Post by Valvegas1 » 22 Jun 2017, 19:32

Nyuton wrote:If it places stone instead of sand at the edges, you're going from black to gray too fast, so the terrain would be very steep.

Note that one pixel equals one tile, black is -10m and the lightest pixel on the heightmap is your configured max altitude.

I kinda figured that it was going dark to light too quick so I adjusted it to go from RGB 0,0,0 -> 1,1,1 -> 2,2,2 and so on every few pixels and it is still making it have cliffs at the edges...I've tried various heights and no change...I should note I'm using paint.net with the greyscale plugins to edit it and it won't let me save in 16bit only 8bit, 24bit and 32bit or an auto detect option...Could that be the issue?

Nyuton
Mod Developer

Post by Nyuton » 22 Jun 2017, 21:21

If you're able to draw RGB colors to the image, it is in the wrong format. Grayscale PNG images don't allow for colors, as their palette is entirely made of gray tones.

I think I read somewhere Paint.NET does not support more than 8 bit per channel, so you'd never be able to make smooth maps with it, unfortunately. I can only recommend to go with either Photoshop (not free) or the latest GIMP 2.9 beta (free), where they just implemented 16 bit support.

Valvegas1

Post by Valvegas1 » 23 Jun 2017, 13:48

ok...Makes sense...I'll look into getting gimp or photoshop then...funny thing is I tried using paint.net and the greyscale plugins with another map an it uploaded just fine and had smooth transitions with beaches and all...It's seem to be just this one specific image is giving me fits...also with this plugin adjusting the RGB only changes the shades of grey on the image it doesnt actually add color...nonetheless i will likely be purchasing photoshop for other projects anyway

Valvegas1

Post by Valvegas1 » 27 Jun 2017, 13:33

So I got gimp and was messing around with that and trying to smooth out my maps...unfortunately this is the result i keep getting
MapResult.PNG
MapResult.PNG (177.72 KiB) Viewed 18388 times
...my maps look like minecraft with ridges everytime the grey shade changes by the smallest possible value...any ideas?

Shrewdcrow

Post by Shrewdcrow » 27 Jun 2017, 23:24

Can you post your height map.

Here is an example if you've not had a change to look at it.
http://nyuton.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... erside.jpg

The riverside one, perhaps this might help you.

Nyuton
Mod Developer

Post by Nyuton » 28 Jun 2017, 12:50

What GIMP version are you using?

Valvegas1

Post by Valvegas1 » 29 Jun 2017, 00:23

Nyuton wrote:What GIMP version are you using?
I'm using the latest version you get from the website...2.8

EDIT: I seem to have fixed the problem...in paint.net i used the gaussian blur tool and blurred everything X5 and it seems to have smoothed out all the terrain and given me some sand on the edges...Lesson learned...Thx for sharing the riverside greyscale that gave me the idea to use the blur tool

Nyuton
Mod Developer

Post by Nyuton » 29 Jun 2017, 09:23

2.8 has no support for 16-bit grayscales. That's why I pointed out in earlier post that you'd need to grab the latest 2.9 beta...

Tasimovadilkhan

Post by Tasimovadilkhan » 24 Aug 2017, 05:12

Good day!
I created a height map, but I did not find the information how to incorporate it into the game. Is there a manual? Thank you! :beer:

Falkvard
Beta Tester

Post by Falkvard » 14 Sep 2017, 10:53

Hello. A thought on "slope based" forest soil algorythm. Its a great feature, but I would expect it to do quite the opposite from what it actually does. Would it be possible to add an option of "inverted slope based" algorythm, which would generate forest soil on sloped tiles, leaving flatlands with fertile soil? In my opinion that would be more realistic - having shore line, bare line of flatland and hills covered with trees.

Nyuton
Mod Developer

Post by Nyuton » 14 Sep 2017, 19:31

I like that idea. Will add it to the next bigger update.

Kirmu
True Believer

Post by Kirmu » 12 Oct 2017, 13:00

Valvegas1 wrote:So I got gimp and was messing around with that and trying to smooth out my maps...unfortunately this is the result i keep getting
MapResult.PNG
...my maps look like minecraft with ridges everytime the grey shade changes by the smallest possible value...any ideas?

I got results like this too. Solution is to blur the picture more but it loses it's details by doing so..

Nyuton
Mod Developer

Post by Nyuton » 03 Nov 2017, 08:01

FeudalTools updated to 1.7.0 today

Blog: http://nyuton.net/feudaltools-update-1-7-0/

Code: Select all
1.7.0      2017-11-03
--------------------------
* New Feature: Added ability to place swamp, steppe soil and forest soil through substance maps
* New Maps: Utropia, Oasis, Belleview
* Map Generator: Added settings page for uploaded maps where map name, status, resource defaults,
       available forest algorithms and altitude restrictions can be configured.
* Map Generator: Added 'beach altitude' setting to map generator and upload page
* Map Generator: Removed 'Map Name' in heigtmap upload form. A random name will be assigned.
* Map Generator: Added 'inverted slope-based' forest algorithm
* Map Generator: Added option to generate no random forest soil and rely entirely on substance map
* Map Generator: Added heightmap analysis and map details to job results page after a new
       heightmap was uploaded.
* Map Generator: Replaced most numeric input boxes by sliders
* Map Generator: Lowered minimum amount of all resources to 1k and clay to zero
* Map Generator: Increased maximum amount of slate from 400k to 500k
* Map Generator: The download button of images generated after map deployment now gives an acutal
       file download instead of opening the image in the browser
* Map Generator: Fixed a bug that ignored resource configuration for user uploaded maps
* Map Generator: Fixed a bug that occasionally placed pieces of higher elevated terrain near cliffs
* Tools: Added option to protect personal claims from map refresh script
* Tools: User-created maps can now be selected as background in the Forest XML Generator
* General: Plenty of minor text and UI corrections and changes
* FAQ: Updated Custom Maps FAQ

Zodiac13

Post by Zodiac13 » 07 Nov 2017, 22:50

Hi any chance you could provide a more detailed tutorial on how to add a server to your dashboard? I have been trying for a couple hours now to add my new server to it to use one of the new maps and I keep getting a mariaDB error. Before you ask no I am not trying to connect to myself either. lol

DeaconElie

Post by DeaconElie » 14 Jan 2018, 20:21

Love to give this a go. Used to work with terragen and worldmachine years ago.

Adithyareddy00001

Post by Adithyareddy00001 » 24 Feb 2024, 12:02

Top Follow ApkDefine Purpose: Determine the purpose of your map. Are you creating it for a game, educational purposes, or something else? This will help guide your design decisions.

Choose a Platform or Tool: There are many tools available for creating custom maps, ranging from specialized software to general-purpose graphic design programs. Some popular options include:

GIS Software: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software like ArcGIS or QGIS are powerful tools for creating detailed maps with geographic data.
Game Engines: If you're creating a map for a game, you might use a game engine like Unity or Unreal Engine, both of which offer tools for building and editing maps.
Online Map Editors: Platforms like Google Maps or OpenStreetMap offer online editors that allow you to create custom maps directly in your web browser.

Gather Data: Collect any data you'll need to include on your map, such as geographic data, terrain information, or points of interest.

Design Your Map: Using your chosen tool, begin designing your map. This may involve drawing terrain features, adding labels, and placing points of interest.

Customize: Experiment with different styles, colors, and symbols to customize your map's appearance and make it visually appealing.

Return to Game mods