Development News #70 - On the Topic of Sieges

What are we currently working on.
JackStark
Zealous Believer

Re: Development News #70 - On the Topic of Sieges

Post by JackStark » 28 Sep 2017, 21:23

I personally think the JH for war targets is a great idea, But 7 days a week would completely destroy the player base. No one can be active 24/7. This is such a terrible idea that would only push people to stop playing because they can’t keep up.. 3 hours a day every day, that’s suicide for the game.

IT would be logical to have these events on Sat and Sun, when the majority of players are active enough to defend their base. 2 days a week is still hardcore and people typically have those days off, meaning it’s not a massive burden.

Just make JH's a weekend thing, problem solved

Herbey
Zealous Believer

Post by Herbey » 29 Sep 2017, 12:19

I personally think the JH for war targets is a great idea, But 7 days a week would completely destroy the player base. No one can be active 24/7. This is such a terrible idea that would only push people to stop playing because they can’t keep up.. 3 hours a day every day, that’s suicide for the game.

IT would be logical to have these events on Sat and Sun, when the majority of players are active enough to defend their base. 2 days a week is still hardcore and people typically have those days off, meaning it’s not a massive burden.

Just make JH's a weekend thing, problem solved

Totally agree on that one. I'm in different time zone. I can manage JH on the weekends but weekday it's impossible for me to be there in prime hours to defend the base. So it will come to me working hard to build something and than leave to other people to savage it for few hours.
very discouraging, I don't know if my team spirit will hold up to that challenge.

Forresthunt
Zealous Believer

Post by Forresthunt » 29 Sep 2017, 12:43

JH Every Day??
is that for sure? hope you Guys are wrong about it. No small group can withstand that kind of stress.
Leaving life of a peasant I was planning my work so it would start on Monday and be done by next JH. that was hard enough already.
I'm sure Guilds with over 30 people can handle it but groups under 10, I don't think so.
I can hear you telling me to join a bigger Guild but please remember that not everyone wants to do that. Just watch the chronicles made by Devs. about last CBT. Nearly 3000 players were homeless (so they were called in that video). Well, they are not homeless, they just didn't join Guilds and were still valuable players in this game.
3 questions;
- can they handle everyday JH?
- if they cannot handle it will they join Guilds or quit.
- 3,000players, how big present of total players is that?

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 29 Sep 2017, 17:08

Kay wrote:

JH Every Day??
is that for sure? hope you Guys are wrong about it. No small group can withstand that kind of stress.
Leaving life of a peasant I was planning my work so it would start on Monday and be done by next JH. that was hard enough already.
I'm sure Guilds with over 30 people can handle it but groups under 10, I don't think so.
I can hear you telling me to join a bigger Guild but please remember that not everyone wants to do that. Just watch the chronicles made by Devs. about last CBT. Nearly 3000 players were homeless (so they were called in that video). Well, they are not homeless, they just didn't join Guilds and were still valuable players in this game.
3 questions;
- can they handle everyday JH?
- if they cannot handle it will they join Guilds or quit.
- 3,000players, how big present of total players is that?

Let's not fortget that during JH only your realm claim is vulnerable. Small group will easy fit in the town area and won't feel the need to expand in the realm claim as well. Bigger guilds won't have enough space, but they will have more members to defend it.
Also JH works only for guilds at war, not free for all YO style. Personal claims out there are totally unaffected by that.

JackStark
Zealous Believer

Post by JackStark » 29 Sep 2017, 17:31

Nobody can play every single day no matter how big the guild is.

Coming back to find your base has been looted every week would destroy the player base for this game..

its not a good idea at all. Its honestly counterproductive to making this game successful to entertain such ideas without asking the population of players what they think...

i don't think you're going to find anyone who wants jh 3 hours a day 7 days a week...

sat+sun JH is how most lif yo servers run. Nobody does 7 days a week because its an instant kill to the server.

Sharana
Beta Tester

Post by Sharana » 29 Sep 2017, 21:20

JackStark wrote:Nobody can play every single day no matter how big the guild is.

Coming back to find your base has been looted every week would destroy the player base for this game..

its not a good idea at all. Its honestly counterproductive to making this game successful to entertain such ideas without asking the population of players what they think...

i don't think you're going to find anyone who wants jh 3 hours a day 7 days a week...

sat+sun JH is how most lif yo servers run. Nobody does 7 days a week because its an instant kill to the server.

The thing is - it doesn't matter if it's 1 day or 7 days in the week - realm claim is vulnerable and most guilds won't even build on it. Just the town claims that have the protection.
If you do build then you have to defend it. Also it works only for guilds that are in state of war. It's also pretty nice initiative to have some fights and then sign peace again instead of those permanent wars - with such risk you won't stay in war permanently like we do now.

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 30 Sep 2017, 02:19

JackStark wrote:Coming back to find your base has been looted every week would destroy the player base for this game..

To reiterate what Sharana has said, only your REALM claim is vulnerable, not your TOWN claim. So 20 tiles out from your monument cannot be hit during JH. 21+ tiles out, if you are at war, can be raided. If you build there.

The bottom line though is that this is a PvP, Full Loot, Everything can be destroyed kind of game. I know that many players are freaked out by this, but you would be surprised at the number of guilds who are not going to kill everything on sight, except red players whose guilds they don't have standing with.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Forresthunt
Zealous Believer

Post by Forresthunt » 30 Sep 2017, 10:00

if the everyday JH is only for Guilds you are at war with, than it does make sense.
I thought you meant "free for all" everyday deal.

JackStark
Zealous Believer

Post by JackStark » 01 Oct 2017, 01:59

It makes a huge difference if its 1 or 7 days week. Come on man, that doesn't even make sense.

if its a few days a week people can reasonably prepare and its not this massive burden, everyday makes the game more like a job than a game..

Having to log on and protect your base 3 hours a day is going to burn out your average player real fast...

then will be sitting here playing with the same 200 people.. you guys got to think about the everyday player with these mechanics..

I still think it should be limited to weekends.

You keep thinking people are reasonable.. you forget about the unemployed armchair warriors who will never go to peace with you.. they will just wait for that one day you're offline and destroy everything in your realm claim,...

if the guild claim weren't so freaking small it might not be a big deal... but it for sure going to kill the player base of this game...

seriously think about it.

Paulchatterton
Zealous Believer

Post by Paulchatterton » 01 Oct 2017, 10:16

I agree that a daily Judgement Hour will be a problem for many guilds, including my own. It gives an advantage to those who don't have to work during the week.

What is even more of a concern to me is that, with only two servers, each server has to serve a huge variety of timezones, and I am sure there are several guilds, such as my own, whose members are spread all around the world. Any mechanism that makes the assumption that prime time for the server is prime time for everyone who plays on the server is going to give an advantage to people who live closer to the host timezone of the server.

As I am a UK player expecting to play on the NA server because that's what gives the better ping times for the majority of my guild, Judgement Hour is likely to be at an inconvenient time wherever in NA it is hosted. Taking 1900 - 2200 as prime time, that means that it will be at 0000 - 0300 if the server is running on EST or 0300 - 0600 if it is running on PST. It's even worse for our mainland European members and not perfect for our Australian members.

Eltopo
Alpha Tester

Post by Eltopo » 01 Oct 2017, 19:49

Have you guys looked into teaming up with Improbable's SpetialOS distributed computing and Google Cloud Platform's (GCP) scalable infrastructure, without having to worry about scale, data synchronization or complicated network engineering.

From what I understand the program is free for testing, and a few companies have taken advantage of the offer. The tech seems like it would solve a lot of the issues u guys are having.

Return to Development News