Make Epleland Hardcore

Have a suggestion or an idea for Life is Feudal: MMO ? Post it here!
Deltaprimeashtaylor

Make Epleland Hardcore

Post by Deltaprimeashtaylor » 12 Jan 2018, 16:36

Hey guys, some words of introduction. I’ve only bought this game about a week ago today and I’ve been on the NA server and then finally Epleland after seeing the RP Server advertised in the Launcher. Thinking that the server would simply add naming restrictions and roleplay rules, I thought that was a great idea! No longer would I have to fight next to “CrabbyBalls” or “Assmuncher1000” on the PvP servers. I thought I’d be getting to a much more interesting world that still contained the PvP we all adore.

And yet. . As soon as I got inside the server, the top screen had in captions, “Roleplay/PVE, slow progression”. As soon as I saw PVE, I was like Wtf. Let us be real. . Life is Feudal is a PvP game in the end, no matter how many castles and details you build. To completely kill the experience that drew me to the game in the first place, Judgement Hour and raiding homes and killing, just weakens the server in total.

Currently, it is not a Unique experience, it is an experience lacking. – So with that said, I would like to put down some points that I think would dramatically increase the fun to be had on the server, thus it’s appeal, as well as intensify certain things to allow a more PvP viable world while keeping the safeties of the server on.

Remove Skill Loss from Death
While this may seem counterintuitive in making Epleland RP Server more hardcore, the result would be that players would feel more comfortable in attacking other players, knowing that their deaths or their enemies would only result in a net loss of equipment (As well as alignment in circumstances). Being a more relaxed and safe experience on Epleland does not need to punish those who wish to roleplay more violent and unsavory characters, Vikings and killers alike.

Alignment Changes
Alike the above feature, I think that on the RP Server of Epleland, the Alignment system should operate in a unique manner so that players can experience a different kind of gameplay that gives more incentive to either be a good apple or be a murdering lunatic.

+50 Alignment = Paladin title, which grants +30 Health as well as 10% more gains while at this status.
-50 Alignment = Criminal title, which grants +30 Stamina.

To go along with these Alignment paths, I also think there should Alignment Drift – A function that would continuously drift player’s alignments back to 0. This would also remove the lock-in on the Criminal title, making peoples’ motives and visual ques different each time.
(Every day with a positive alignment that isn’t prayed for would result in a -1 Alignment drift, all the way to 0. Every three days with a negative alignment that the player doesn’t murder someone would result in a +.1 Alignment drift, all the way to 0.)

More Usage of Gold
Currently in Epleland, there really is no reason to trade with golden coins when you can simply barter resources that you may have on you for what you desire. To change this and make golden coins far more valuable, I suggest a few things that have relevance with the rest of these changes.

Create Shrine furniture that can be used Once a Day to grant you Alignment in exchange for gold. This shrine would also allow players or guilds to ‘pay for’ a non-stackable power hour with an allotted amount of gold.
For example:
10 Gold = +1 Alignment gain
20 Gold = Personal Power Hour
100 Gold = Guild-wide Power Hour

Altered Judgement Hour

As you can tell, I’m a pretty big proponent to PvP and especially hardcore realism that SHOULD be present in the ‘Roleplay’ server of Life is Feudal. Roleplay should not mean carebear, but if the Devs wish to allow additional protections for the server, that’s fine. However, I would ask that Judgement Hour still be granted to the players of Epleland, but in a state that doesn’t destroy the Destruction-Restrictions that the server has.

My suggestion is that Judgement Hour (Or Day, as I feel that would be better on connection issues) on Epleland only allow the gates/doors be destroyed from a castle/settlement, and the ‘Looting’ of Gold from their Monument be possible. – No buildings destroyed, but a race to get to their monument to take their Gold collection from them. (This goes very well with the above feature for More Usages of Gold).

WPvP Resource Drop
Lastly, I think that this would be a feature that would benefit servers from PvP to RP. However, it is something that would have to have work put into to get to a finished state. I suggest the God’s Favor Event, a meteorite of gold or other precious metals falls from the sky and hits a random place on the map every day, or once a week to rival Judgement Hour.

This would prompt players with a small event note that says what server it dropped at, thus allowing Kingdoms and rival powers to all desire to go to the same place to get these treasures or precious metals. – I don’t have to tell you how this could instigate WPvP.

Conclusion
Steam Release is Nigh. Please consider these actions in modifying how Epleland works to create an experience that is Near the other servers that bask in PvP, but still allow the protections made for Epleland. I’ll go about posting this on Twitter, Reddit, and this Forum to hopefully get a positive reaction from those in other servers as well as mine.

Lumberjack
True Believer

Re: Make Epleland Hardcore

Post by Lumberjack » 12 Jan 2018, 19:16

Go away. Just simply go away and join another server.

We on Epleland have right amount of PvP as it is, and maybe you are just too impatient to experience it.

There are raids and politically motivated wars and most people are perfectly happy with it.

Celthon

Post by Celthon » 12 Jan 2018, 19:39

Lumberjack wrote:Go away. Just simply go away and join another server.

We on Epleland have right amount of PvP as it is, and maybe you are just too impatient to experience it.

There are raids and politically motivated wars and most people are perfectly happy with it.

+1

Deltaprimeashtaylor

Post by Deltaprimeashtaylor » 13 Jan 2018, 00:02

Lumberjack wrote:Go away. Just simply go away and join another server.

Thank for absolutely no constructive criticism in the least.. If you disagree, that’s great and all, but no need to be dickish. And I’m not sure why you assume I’m impatient or haven’t experienced killing others, political drama, and the raiding of an enemy faction. I have and it was all great fun, actually.

What I dislike about Epleland with the protections it has is that people just run inside their walls and there is absolutely nothing one can do to control the assault. No extra ways of enjoying combat as most carebear too much and hide within their city claims when faced with any kind of violence.

That makes most of the PvP found in Epleland to be pure theater and controlled. The above features may not be perfect, but it would certainly allow for a more PvP accessible world with all of the RP trappings that make it far more enjoyable.

Lumberjack
True Believer

Post by Lumberjack » 13 Jan 2018, 02:05

Deltaprimeashtaylor wrote:
Thank for absolutely no constructive criticism in the least.. If you disagree, that’s great and all, but no need to be dickish.

Of course, there is not only need but also a deep moral obligation to be a major phallus. You come to our home and try to force us to play by your rules just because you couldn't be bothered to read the rules before spending money?

Deltaprimeashtaylor wrote:What I dislike about Epleland with the protections it has is that people just run inside their walls and there is absolutely nothing one can do to control the assault. No extra ways of enjoying combat as most carebear too much and hide within their city claims when faced with any kind of violence.

And pray tell what would a real life person do when faced with danger?

a) risk needlessly?\
b) hide behind walls they have spent literal years building and hurl stones and invectives at the assailants?

Edit: That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see changes. I want the furniture/movable items to be vulnerable everywhere, and fortifications to be vulnerable anytime at least one of the owners is online.

Deltaprimeashtaylor wrote:That makes most of the PvP found in Epleland to be pure theater and controlled. The above features may not be perfect, but it would certainly allow for a more PvP accessible world with all of the RP trappings that make it far more enjoyable.

Have you ever considered that this just might be what the majority of players on Epleland want? We want theatrics. We want fights to have meaning. We want intrigue. We want violence to be a means, not an end.

Deltaprimeashtaylor

Post by Deltaprimeashtaylor » 13 Jan 2018, 02:20

Lumberjack wrote:
Thank for absolutely no constructive criticism in the least.. If you disagree, that’s great and all, but no need to be dickish.

Of course, there is not only need but also a deep moral obligation to be a major phallus. You come to our home and try to force us to play by your rules just because you couldn't be bothered to read the rules before spending money?

Deltaprimeashtaylor wrote:What I dislike about Epleland with the protections it has is that people just run inside their walls and there is absolutely nothing one can do to control the assault. No extra ways of enjoying combat as most carebear too much and hide within their city claims when faced with any kind of violence.

And pray tell what would a real life person do when faced with danger?

a) risk needlessly?\
b) hide behind walls they have spent literal years building and hurl stones and invectives at the assailants?

Deltaprimeashtaylor wrote:That makes most of the PvP found in Epleland to be pure theater and controlled. The above features may not be perfect, but it would certainly allow for a more PvP accessible world with all of the RP trappings that make it far more enjoyable.

Have you ever considered that this just might be what the majority of players on Epleland want? We want theatrics. We want fights to have meaning. We want intrigue. We want violence to be a means, not an end.

Let's look at this realistically, since you're attempting to take that approach. A person runs into their shelter and is under the protection of their walls and keep. Great, that person has acted logically to safeguard themselves. - But what does the attacker actually have to do now in Epleland? Nothing. Because they literally cannot. No way to encroach closer or to break down the doors is just silly and is unrealistic.

In this roleplay world, we are supposed to imagine that their bases are magically indestructible and that if we set foot inside of one, we are subject to be smited by some weirdo mechanic to indict us OOCly as trespassing.

It's not great design for true RP, imo. And to defend features that keep you safe and from actually having loss of control or no way to victory is really just what a carebear would do.

-- Now with that said, I honestly cannot even tell that you read my post. None of my above ideas have any negative draw to Epleland and can only enhance the server by adding features. Maybe you should actually read, unless that giant E-Peen is stuck in your eye xD

Lumberjack
True Believer

Post by Lumberjack » 13 Jan 2018, 03:07

Lumberjack wrote:
Let's look at this realistically, since you're attempting to take that approach. A person runs into their shelter and is under the protection of their walls and keep. Great, that person has acted logically to safeguard themselves. - But what does the attacker actually have to do now in Epleland? Nothing. Because they literally cannot. No way to encroach closer or to break down the doors is just silly and is unrealistic.

In this roleplay world, we are supposed to imagine that their bases are magically indestructible and that if we set foot inside of one, we are subject to be smited by some weirdo mechanic to indict us OOCly as trespassing.

It's not great design for true RP, imo. And to defend features that keep you safe and from actually having loss of control or no way to victory is really just what a carebear would do.

-- Now with that said, I honestly cannot even tell that you read my post. None of my above ideas have any negative draw to Epleland and can only enhance the server by adding features. Maybe you should actually read, unless that giant E-Peen is stuck in your eye xD

I did read your proposals, and all they would do would enable senseless PvP. Well not even PvP, just griefing as they would remove any penalty from a random mass murdering maniac.

Removing skill drop would benefit solely mass murderers, regular players grind idols for an hour and pray until their skill loss is nil.

The only thing I partially agree (as I hinted in previous post) is the access to the enemy base, but it should be dependent on whether the enemy is online. And should be HARD.

I have actually carried a period-correct siege ladder (long time ago for a movie). There were 12 of us on each side, and we have barely made it uphill. The ladder was basically two pines, as it was the only thing strong enough to hold 12 people at a time without breaking.

I know this is only a game, but sieging was damn hard.

Another thing the devs could tweak is nerfing farming. The medieval farming yield was between 1:1 to 1:4. There should be no way to fit the farms into the town claim. And it is too easy to build walls around your farms, which historically was never done.

Deltaprimeashtaylor

Post by Deltaprimeashtaylor » 13 Jan 2018, 07:39

Lumberjack wrote:
Lumberjack wrote:

I did read your proposals, and all they would do would enable senseless PvP. Well not even PvP, just griefing as they would remove any penalty from a random mass murdering maniac.

Removing skill drop would benefit solely mass murderers, regular players grind idols for an hour and pray until their skill loss is nil.

The only thing I partially agree (as I hinted in previous post) is the access to the enemy base, but it should be dependent on whether the enemy is online. And should be HARD.

I have actually carried a period-correct siege ladder (long time ago for a movie). There were 12 of us on each side, and we have barely made it uphill. The ladder was basically two pines, as it was the only thing strong enough to hold 12 people at a time without breaking.

I know this is only a game, but sieging was damn hard.

Another thing the devs could tweak is nerfing farming. The medieval farming yield was between 1:1 to 1:4. There should be no way to fit the farms into the town claim. And it is too easy to build walls around your farms, which historically was never done.

About the senseless griefing or PvP, I don't fully agree that is all it would bring. - Some, absolutely. But I imagine it would also change how some acted around others - Adding an additional level of paranoia to player interaction, as well as encouraging players softly that it's alright to bring battle to others without such heavy losses incurred on other servers.

Still, I do not fully see these things as being negative to the Epleland RP community. In every age of time, there have been those who have been murderous lunatics - And their consequences were immediate in society. They became known as what they were and were ousted and hunted down. I don't see why that couldn't be the natural response to this kind of gaming, creating a *real* incentive not to be senseless and not have to rely on a silly mechanic to shield us or mitigate the alignment/skill loss.

As for the Sieging - Honestly, that is all I end up do wanting out of this list. I do not mind all of the protections of the Epleland and can respect people's wanting to not have their castles destroyed and such. But I look at these magnificent creations people have made and I wonder, 'How amazing it would be to fight inside that castle', the castle of my RP friends and those I've striven with to create a lovely settlement.

I would prefer it be insanely hard to do and require much time/strategy to be done well, as close as real can be at least - But the mere OPTION of it being enabled would cure a lot of frustration I have with the magical boundaries of cities and the ability to 'harm' an enemy faction by assaulting them after careful work.

-- As for farming, that indeed looks like it needs some nerfing. . The guild I'm serving has this amazinggggly large farm space (Multiple, actually) and it seems very unlikely they'll run out of crop at any time. The effort it must have taken is enormous and amazing, but it does leave me a bit wowed at the yield. (As well as the walling to shield it)

I know the game is in EA Release, but my post wasn't meant to turn Epleland into a PvP-Wonderland or anything like that. . Though, I can definitely see how that could come about. I just hate to have to leave the RP Server (The only server with true depth and story between characters) just to be able to find more intensive PvP. - And it just Wows me that the PvP Crowd looks so harshly upon Epleland, when I always thought the best kind of roleplay involved battle and chaos, politics ending bloodily.

(I do realize not everyone wants what I desire and I can concede that not all of the list is probably preferable to most - But some improvements could be made, I still feel.)

Lumberjack
True Believer

Post by Lumberjack » 13 Jan 2018, 12:08

About the senseless griefing or PvP, I don't fully agree that is all it would bring. - Some, absolutely. But I imagine it would also change how some acted around others - Adding an additional level of paranoia to player interaction, as well as encouraging players softly that it's alright to bring battle to others without such heavy losses incurred on other servers.

This is all it would bring. You would have a billion trolls from the PvP worlds, who when their skills would be not enough there would simply go kill some "carebears".

Deltaprimeashtaylor wrote:Still, I do not fully see these things as being negative to the Epleland RP community. In every age of time, there have been those who have been murderous lunatics - And their consequences were immediate in society. They became known as what they were and were ousted and hunted down. I don't see why that couldn't be the natural response to this kind of gaming, creating a *real* incentive not to be senseless and not have to rely on a silly mechanic to shield us or mitigate the alignment/skill loss.

In real life, a murderous lunatic would be removed from society swiftly and in a quite entertaining way. We don't have that option in game, so getting nilskilled due to a single death serves that purpose.

When I want to PvP I just have to take that risk and suck up the losses.

Deltaprimeashtaylor wrote:(I do realize not everyone wants what I desire and I can concede that not all of the list is probably preferable to most - But some improvements could be made, I still feel.)

I agree the server needs changes, but the changes should be made to improve RP and not PvP for PvP's sake. (except where improving PvP improves RP).

Deltaprimeashtaylor

Post by Deltaprimeashtaylor » 13 Jan 2018, 17:22

Lumberjack wrote:
This is all it would bring. You would have a billion trolls from the PvP worlds, who when their skills would be not enough there would simply go kill some "carebears".

In real life, a murderous lunatic would be removed from society swiftly and in a quite entertaining way. We don't have that option in game, so getting nilskilled due to a single death serves that purpose.

When I want to PvP I just have to take that risk and suck up the losses.

I agree the server needs changes, but the changes should be made to improve RP and not PvP for PvP's sake. (except where improving PvP improves RP).

1.) Again, I am hesitant to say that is truly bad. Looking passed my ideas, Epleland is still the harshest place to harm others or to fail in combat, as well as the .5 Multiplier on Gains. - So while I imagine some PvP meatheads would join up and attempt to create a killer squad to fight against the RP World, I do think that the slower burn on Epleland would be the largest detriment from that crowd. I think they would also encounter that SOME RPers love to PvP and have just as much skill as they do.

In RP, these PvPers that came to roll the 'carebears' over would simply be another Viking group or a bunch of insane killers. Quite easy to improv haha. -- And perhaps it's just me and my kind of masochistic desire for 'realism' or a hardcore experience, but I actually really like there to be plenty of threats outside castle walls. Makes people more aware.

2.) That is actually really true. There is no real way of 'capturing' someone or to place them in a more torturous scenario if, say, they didn't really care about dying over and over again and kept running back as a naked man to punch at you or allies. - That would be hella frustrating.

Perhaps there needs to be stockades? Piking heads, or lynching? xD

Still, the solution would be what we currently have today: Close your gates and let them run around the building doing what they shall. . Still, not the best.

3.) I can concur with that statement. I am sure the Devs will grant something to Epleland - What that will be, or if it'll be PvP additions at all, I have no idea. I just know that currently. . Some of the system is a bit wonky and could use some work. I do believe that PvP opportunities enhance RP, but if they are added, it would have to be quite carefully.

You mentioned Sieges. How would you prefer that be done, if not the Limited Judgement Hour I put forth that would only allow Doors/Gates to be sieged open and the Monument stolen from?

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 14 Jan 2018, 01:13

> Remove Skill Loss from Death
Not going to happen. First, it will make insurance useless and *ahem* we don't want this right? Second, it will make culinary useless, too.

> My suggestion is that Judgement Hour (Or Day, as I feel that would be better on connection issues) on Epleland only allow the gates/doors be destroyed from a castle/settlement

No-no-no it will just motivate people to build more drying frame walls.

All we really need is to remove the stupid consensual wars and increased alignment hit / skill loss penalty. Lowered skillgain and no judgement hour are more than enough to keep non-RP PvPers away from Epleland.
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Books for the people! - a client mod to let you write books and messages

Robertbfinn

Post by Robertbfinn » 14 Jan 2018, 19:19

There is one Big reason i dont want open pvp that you are talking about (and a lot of other reasons as well) but if you open PvP you will close the doors for new guild makers. making a new guild on a server like epleland with skill gain at 0.5 rate will die with open PvP. creating guild from scratch with this skill gain and JH will be near impossible.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 14 Jan 2018, 21:28

Robertbfinn wrote:There is one Big reason i dont want open pvp that you are talking about (and a lot of other reasons as well) but if you open PvP you will close the doors for new guild makers. making a new guild on a server like epleland with skill gain at 0.5 rate will die with open PvP. creating guild from scratch with this skill gain and JH will be near impossible.

It would be possible if you'd choose to become someone's vassal.
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Books for the people! - a client mod to let you write books and messages

Return to Suggestions and Ideas