Development News #88 — The Art of Proper Weapon Simulation and the Road Forward

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis

Development News #88 — The Art of Proper Weapon Simulation and the Road Forward

Post by Arrakis » 26 Jan 2018, 17:01

Hey, Feudalists!

As you may have read in patch notes, we’ve improved our hit detection system to an even better level than it was before. In today’s blog, we’d like to share more about how melee hit detection worked before and how it works now.

Each weapon in the game has special nodes on them that represent different parts of the weapon and deal different types, and amounts, of damage. Each server tick we cast a ray (draw a line) between the current position of the node and its position in the past (previous tick). If a line crosses the hitbox of another player, horse, house, etc. - that means the weapon has scored a hit. During the weapon swing animation, a couple of simulation ticks happen so, we get the following information about that swing.

(Red nodes - are the sword blade’s primary damage nodes, Orange nodes - are the hilt of the sword and arm of the player)[/center]

During our last optimization patch, we tweaked the tick duration that inadvertently affected the weapon’s node impact simulation too. Thus, the precision of the resulting trajectory of the weapon nodes in some cases suffered from the animation improvements.

The solution to this problem was rather simple in theory but was much harder to implement in practice. We had to simulate weapon swinging animation ticks multiple times while leaving the global tick intact. But the good news is, it worked, and as you can see, the trajectories are much more accurate now.

We also wanted to share with you that the dust is starting to settle from the early access rush. This means that we can focus with more precision on bug fixes and optimizations while maintaining forward progress from a gameplay perspective. You can expect some major updates soon™.

Stay tuned for more news!

– The team

Khan-
Zealous Believer

Re: Development News #88 — The Art of Proper Weapon Simulation and the Road Forward

Post by Khan- » 26 Jan 2018, 17:04

:beer:
100% French speaking alliance of Royaume Franc : http://lifeisfeudal-fr.com/
Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Walone

Re: Development News #88 — The Art of Proper Weapon Simulation and the Road Forward

Post by Walone » 26 Jan 2018, 17:06

Looks cool, but fix the broke grinding of gathering basic stuff like sling ammo, first advice.

Farenheit
True Believer

Post by Farenheit » 26 Jan 2018, 17:07

Please, fix gathering system

Camillabasse

Post by Camillabasse » 26 Jan 2018, 19:36

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE HERB-ISSUE... JUST WASTED A WHOLE DAY TRYING TO GATHER HERBS, I HAVE NOT GOTTEN EVEN ONE - IN A WHOLE DAY!! SERIOUSLY??????

Racerx7080

Post by Racerx7080 » 26 Jan 2018, 19:59

Good job devs. But please fix the netcode and server lag issues. Then fix the skill rates (where they should already be)and do away with the online store COMPLETELY and stop dangling carrots in front of our faces (that store really pisses me off!) Thanks!

Rbevz11

Post by Rbevz11 » 27 Jan 2018, 02:34

As much as I like to see this kind of attention to detail, I feel like this announcement highlights a developer focus that is slightly out of prospective.. This kind of detail fine tuning are usually saved until much later even after full release. Meanwhile there are some major elephants in the room that no one is talking about.

This MMO has the potential to have one of the strongest player ran economy systems on the market today in regards to the necessity you have introduced with regional materials for building tier 2 or better structures. I believe the decision to introduce this to the game was to promote,if not demand travel and trading between distant groups around the map.

However, currently the market/economy is broken due to the almost impossible task of setting trade permissions to trading posts. Which I believe, if were working correctly (or at least much easier) to set-up would open the trading, start generating commerce and improve the player experience as a whole.

Currently, guilds must invest a second monument to this venture to allow players to open and use the trading posts in their realm claims, given permissions to open items (which includes chests, doors, gates. etc.) OR build the trading post off claim and risk enemies burning it down or losing it to decay.

And for the smaller group or lone wolf player to trade off a personal claim involves adding every single guild to the permissions system manually (currently over 850 guilds on Buyan alone), which hardly seems like fun and even the most determined players are not likely to do this.

My suggestion would be to introduce either a special permissions panel within the trading post itself, that would override the guild claim permissions system and easily be set to whom ever could trade with you. (Neutrals, Ally, Guild, Friendly etc.)

OR, just simply set the newly built trading post to be open to everyone by default and players could set with whom they do NOT want allow access to the trading post (Enemies, Vassals, Everyone etc.) This would be a much easier and faster way to setup a trading post and actually jump start the economy.

I feel like the developers to this point have done a good job quickly fixing game breaking bugs and exploits, performance issues, and listening to their player base as a whole. But seriously guys, worrying about small weapon swinging tweaks at this stage seems kind of out of touch with what really needs to be addressed and move this game to the next level.

Federicogjm

Post by Federicogjm » 27 Jan 2018, 03:01

I agree with Rbevz11. Obviously the LIF development team is not considering that although this is a beta, there are people paying to play in it.

You can not allow the servers to be turned off without warning to the players.

At least tell us what is being done in them, how long it will take to be available and by God! read our comments !!

I have read many messages from players who complain about the same thing, and it seems that nobody sees it.

The players are saying that the game is destroyed with the new gathering system, and it is true!

It can not happen that a gathering system is implemented that makes the playability of novice players practically impossible.

YOU CAN NOT GATHER ANYTHING IN THE NIGHTS BECAUSE YOU DO NOT ACHIEVE ANYTHING.

GETING 10 OR 20 OF A RESOURCE THROUGH THE NEW GATHER SYSTEM IS IMPOSSIBLE AND TAKES NOT LESS THAN ONE HOUR.

You can not play the game if you can not advance in the basics.

I do not know if anyone reads this, but I hope that at least someone from the team puts it on the development table urgently. since they have really made it impossible to start from scratch in the game.

I am a player of many games and I present tutorial videos in Spanish for 13 thousand subscribers. I prefer to remain anonymous in front of the development team in order to be truly neutral about the gaming experience. A month and a half ago I am playing LIF and it has fascinated me, but every time I am feeling that the players are not being taken into account in this opportunity.
It is not "more fun" as it was said, this new gathering system is really annoying and destroys the gameplay of the game, forcing the player to spend hours and hours working to achieve insignificant advances.

Dagorath

Post by Dagorath » 27 Jan 2018, 05:09

Great job dudes ! =D

Love the new gathering system too (requires BALANCE in output of some items and QUALITY of the items, but is a big improvement!)

Biberteddy
Zealous Believer

Post by Biberteddy » 27 Jan 2018, 10:33

I love aslo like the new herb gathering system !
Its more interactive and not afk only doable :D

Return to Development News