Life is Feudal: MMO Competitive Series

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

What do you think about our idea (including the P.S. part)?

I consider myself as a wolf and I like it
21%
I consider myself as a sheep and I like it
9%
I consider myself as a wolf and I think this idea needs some changes
12%
I consider myself as a sheep and I think this idea needs some changes
5%
I consider myself as a wolf and I don't think this idea can ever work
43%
I consider myself as a sheep and I don't think this idea can ever work
9%

Total votes : 383

Bobik
Project Leader

Life is Feudal: MMO Competitive Series

Post by Bobik » 13 Apr 2018, 17:26

Prologue
Feel free to skip straight to the next chapter to see our proposal.

Firstly, we want to preface this by assuring you guys that we in no way want to promote/demote particular play styles or players; we are using terms purely to describe contrasting styles, these are simply a way of categorizing a player’s habits/preferences, along with the existing, and widely known, Bartle categorization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_ta ... ayer_types).

An average wolf: PvP-oriented, competitive, typically gets enjoyment out of winning and subsequently humiliating the loser (in varying proportions depending on their personality).
An average sheep: PvE-oriented, crafting, supportive gamgety, gets enjoyment out of simply enjoying the process, achieving in-game peaceful goals and/or supporting other players.

Like any categorization, these are general and do not necessarily mean strict groups - players can be 60% wolf/40% sheep, or 20% wolf/ 80% sheep, etc.

We believe that this categorization accurately reflects the majority of our players and it was and remains our ultimate goal to create a game where ‘wolves’ and ‘sheep’ are able to coexist together in symbiosis. In fact, the design of our logo was created to reflect this relationship: the sickle represents peaceful/crafter/sheep, and the dagger represents an aggressive/warrior/wolf.

Typically, fun for wolves is based on emerging triumphant in combat over other players, some weaker wolves or, in most cases, sheep that are easier targets, since they are not usually proficient at (or simply interested in) PvP.

The presence of a winner is, of course, typically accompanied by a loser. And, it is fair to say, losers do not want to remain the defeated party - there is no fun in it. Especially if the defeated player feels they are being repeatedly humiliated.

Working on improving oneself is, of course, a good way to progress and be victorious - alas, even after improvement, changing the situation in our MMO completely from scratch is not an easy feat. Due to its numerous servers, occasional server wipes and faster progression settings, LiF:YO gives a place for players to retreat and start something from scratch, but in a better and more efficient way, utilizing previous experience, and that, in the end, could help them progress and gain victory.

This is why destructive fun in LiF:YO, where one’s castle could simply crumble to dust in a single Judgement Hour attack, can provide a lot of fun for the PvPers, while there still remains places for those with no interest in battle (and even the not-so-successful fighters!) to retreat, improve (if they so wish to do so) and win in new conditions, a fresh start, or simply on a privately moderated server.

As stated above, however, LiF: MMO does not contain an option for a retreat to a safe area. Migrating to an alternative server, leveling a new character and building a new settlement from the ground up is not that easy and/or simply impossible, especially if veteran players of another server have already laid claim to all of the good spots.

During our development and game mechanic tweaking, we’ve always strived to protect and aid those who do not want to partake in PvP, while simultaneously keeping the PvPers happy - but it got to the point where we were basically removing their source of fun, which certainly showed.

We are very much aware that, although this definitely contributed to a decline in that playerbase, we know that bugs and server performance issues are also to blame, and we are working very hard on rectifying this. Right now, though, the consequence of said bugs grows tenfold in the eyes of those who are on the defeated side, and, despite the fact that the winning side is also dealing with the potentially disadvantageous situation due to these issues, we do understand why it would be frustrating.

For us, PvE content, especially endgame, is also lacking at this stage. We understand that this may also cause a number of our more casual players to feel bored and leave. Rest assured, we are working on this too as one of our top priorities for our Major May update.

In short: we believe that it is also important to create an escape option for the players who either do not want to partake in battles, or simply need to recoup after a fight, while simultaneously providing that sense of victory and fun that the PvPers crave.

This is where our idea of a new PvP round based world kicks in. A world where the ‘wolves’ can partake in competitive gaming, actually experience victory and be honored for winning - a world where players who want to participate in, and try out, the ‘wolf’ playstyle have the chance to improve, experiment and develop without feeling forced to pick out potentially easier wins on our RP-Oriented worlds.
We will still stay true to our concept in the vanilla servers, but we want to provide a more aggressive - yet forgiving - place for ‘wolves’ and their ‘sheep’ symbiotes. This new PvP-oriented server should offer a slightly safer environment for the players who prefer a more casual experience on the RP and vanilla ruleset servers at the same time.

Please check out the proposal and rules below, we are eager to hear your thoughts and discuss this with you guys - our players.

Proposal

Create new PvP/competitive servers with fast progression. These servers will be wiped every two months and winners of the round will be named, rewarded and honored. Please see the ‘Win Conditions’ chapter below to learn how winners will be picked.

General Rules

• Round: two real-life months
  • Server wipe (map and characters) at the end of each round.
  • Character names and guilds are not wiped.
  • Progression is 2-5x faster (skills 5x, crafting recipes 2x less ingredients)
  • Cheap IBs (and sieges once implemented)
  • City claim objects can be damaged during JH (if during an official war)
  • Tier 1 guild monuments can be destroyed during JH (if during an official war)
  • Barkboxing and other siege-like actions allowed
  • All types of harassment strategies are allowed (except obvious exploits like attacking/shooting through walls etc.)
  • JH every day or once every two days (depending on the community suggestions)
  • JH two hours long
  • Tile loss per lost IB like on Avalon (10 tiles)
  • Trees, iron ore and other important resources amounts are x5-x10 times lower on the map (underground resources are closer to the surface though). This should promote early competition and more value for finding, creating and controlling the iron ore mine and global positioning of the guild claims.

Win Conditions

To win, simply hold the top score by the end of the round. Points are awarded to each guild every real life day, after the end of the JH/primetime period based on the amount of the special buildings it controls on its realm land.

Special buildings of roughly 5x5 tiles (farmhouse, medium house, small stable - we will decide later) must stand fully on the realm claim. We are looking into implementing a rule, which will prevent placement of those buildings closer than 20-30 tiles of each other. This way, realm lands will not be spammed with the same buildings and the guild’s score point generation will not depend solely on the amount of land it controls, but by the amount of ‘good’ land it controls, which can be used for the placement of these special buildings. Thus it’ll be more difficult placing castles on an island on the lake or atop a mountain, for example - while being easier to defend during JH and raids, players will have trouble placing these special buildings on their realm lands and scoring the points effectively.

Kingdom guilds will be able to set a taxation rate for all of its vassalized guilds, which will mean that part of the score points that vassals have generated will go towards kingdom guild score. We want to build the scoring rules and formula in such way that certain vassalized guilds will have a chance to be in the top 10 - or maybe even in first place - due to the fact that it generated points on a continual basis and kept a low profile, while others got targeted and wiped out by other guilds near the end of the round once they got into first place in the score table.

Every player will be able to review the scoreboard at any time and view the amount of points each guild receives per day, along with the source of those points (buildings and vassals taxation). Maps should also visualize a heraldry shield and its saturation/size amount of points each guild generate per day and who its subordinate is with a second heraldry shield (if there is any).

Rewards

All accounts who were members of the winning guild for at least a month will receive the following rewards:

• Special title in game for all characters on the account
  • Forum nickname color and title
  • God’s Favor reward
  • Global announcement cheering the winner across all our communication channels
  • Lifetime position in the Hall of Fame of LiF as a winner of the XX round
  • (Maybe) Have their guild symbol included in the official set of heraldry symbols

P.S. Just literally one hour ago we've finished the game design meeting where an unpolished idea has come up to interconnect that competitive PvP world with the current worlds with a free character world migrate system and a separate trading system (seaport with an import/export). Our idea is to make vanilla servers a more secure "green zone" - still with PvP, full loot and ganks but with a significantly fewer assets destruction and griefing. A place for sheep to strive and have their fun with a forgiving PvP. While new PvP competitive worlds will be a total "red zone" with a PvP to the max.
At the same time both "zones" will depend on certain new resources to trade with each other (spices produced on those controllable farms? :) ). Thus a really good guild in order to be successful will be interested to have both strong wolves and sheep backup on both continents.

RetroLogi

Re: Life is Feudal: MMO Competitive Series

Post by RetroLogi » 13 Apr 2018, 17:41

Wow +1 :evil:

Nesk

Post by Nesk » 13 Apr 2018, 17:54

Then you close other servers? Or do you keep them with an average of 100ppl at primetime with these new servers? :crazy:

Azzak
True Believer

Post by Azzak » 13 Apr 2018, 17:56

So we are back at YO then ? Just with more ppl...

We just want to be able to PVP on the MMO with a persistant world, isn't that hard to understand ?

Stafford33
Zealous Believer

Post by Stafford33 » 13 Apr 2018, 17:59

Need to set a cap on how many people can be in a guild, like 20 otherwise the lag will be way too bad during JH open world pvp. Otherwise sounds pretty interesting.

RetroLogi

Post by RetroLogi » 13 Apr 2018, 18:01

Azzak wrote:We just want to be able to PVP on the MMO with a persistant world, isn't that hard to understand ?

Yeah Open PvP without instances! but as long as this is possible, dev proposal seems to me a good alternative!

Agathius

Post by Agathius » 13 Apr 2018, 18:02

Well... I think most of the 'wolves' like how the current MMO is regarding 'rounds' (Except some aspects such as no claim decay), the grinding speed and how it has at least some difference than YO. That is why we want what the community has been yelling on a month now (Real JH and others), while at the same time casting aside the idea for separate pvp server when you fist opened the other 3.

It is this MMO version that we want those changes on, because that is what would make it real magic. Not an MMO Your Own version. Thus, i cast a vote on thinking your idea needs changes :D
πόλεμος πάντων μὲν πατήρ ἐστι, πάντων δὲ βασιλεύς

Emilioike

Post by Emilioike » 13 Apr 2018, 18:11

Azzak wrote:So we are back at YO then ? Just with more ppl...

We just want to be able to PVP on the MMO with a persistant world, isn't that hard to understand ?

Very very true, @bobik why cant you understand that RP players are not the opposite to PVP players??? only difference is that RP players need a "wider" or "deeper" reason to PvP.

Forget about PVE=RP once for all.

Yes, RP server needs different PvP ruleset since the game has no true political / territory management inteface , but no the PvP ruleset that kills PVP
Bring back the 10 tile to Epeleland and when the sieges came... Voila! server resurrection

If you can also make economy something meaningfull, wow! you have game community for years...

Nesk

Post by Nesk » 13 Apr 2018, 18:11

Did I buy YO? Damn :cry:

Yhym

Post by Yhym » 13 Apr 2018, 18:15

It's a great idea, but please do not make it one after one. It will be good this way 2 months pvp server, then wipe 2-4 months break, and again another tournament. This is good, because people from Avalon can go for this new server, have some fun, win some rewards, then come back to Avalon and play here so we will not lose population. Avalon needs active people to stay alive.

Ahh and i forget, please do not let for any kind of alliance on that server. Just limit guild population (max 50) and set war every1 against every1.

Oleski
True Believer

Post by Oleski » 13 Apr 2018, 18:27

I like this idea (maybed not 2 month more like 3)
And score board with ratio kill (kill/death)
Or just w scoreboard with open war where you can check who is winning (if guild A kill player from guild B, guild A gain points)

Mark-holt

Post by Mark-holt » 13 Apr 2018, 18:28

This looks really exciting. My only issue is that 2 months might not be enough time. Politics change and the lands shift as refugees migrate to safer areas after losing their claim. But they can make a comeback.

If one alliance is dominating too much and being a bit greedy with the resources, it's only inevitable a coalition will form against that alliance. Due to logistics, it's not necessarily possible for one alliance to conquer half the map as they will end up being stretched too thin and have more frontiers to defend.

Could we initially try longer than 2 months and if it's too long, shorten it. You want to get to that point where you have the highest quality equipment but soon after, supplies start running low. Then the competition for resources starts to get fierce which tests the loyalty of guilds within an alliance.

FrostJaguar

Post by FrostJaguar » 13 Apr 2018, 18:30

So t1 monuments will be vulnerable, what about personal claims?

ObedSG

Post by ObedSG » 13 Apr 2018, 18:36

An average wolf: PvP-oriented, competitive, typically gets enjoyment out of winning and subsequently humiliating the loser (in varying proportions depending on their personality).
An average sheep: PvE-oriented, crafting, supportive gamgety, gets enjoyment out of simply enjoying the process, achieving in-game peaceful goals and/or supporting other players.

Despite assurances to the contrary, the wording of this shows clear bias towards PVE gameplay. "Humiliating the loser?" :no:

"fun for wolves is based on emerging triumphant in combat over other players, some weaker wolves or, in most cases, sheep that are easier targets, since they are not usually proficient at (or simply interested in) PvP.

Again, accusing "wolves" of preferring to prey on weaker opponents? Why should a new, solo player be expected to compete with an experienced & organized guild? Trying to put them on the same footing through game/server mechanics removes skill from the contest. "Teamwork is OP"

LiF: MMO does not contain an option for a retreat to a safe area

:%) Town claims are almost invulnerable. It takes winning 2 IB's every day for a week to possibly reduce a claim to the point where it can be damaged.

This game was billed as being "hardcore" & combat-oriented. I don't think asking those players to now leave in order to protect a minority who don't like that style of gameplay is fair or even realistic.

Sturmgrenadier is recruiting! Apply @ SGHQ.org or message me for details

SharanaEU
Zealous Believer

Post by SharanaEU » 13 Apr 2018, 18:38

I honestly try to believe this is going to be some kind of stop gap measure that will try to keep the players leaving now, because it's faster to develop then mechanics needed for the promised MMO to work.

My only fear is that no such mechanics like deeper economy and actual land control will ever be developed and devs will be content with this big YO... Might be fun 1-2 times, but most YO veterans were just waiting for the no wipe MMO, but after the realization there is literally no content above the building phase (which was obvious in CBT) YO comes to the MMO...

Uxtalzon

Post by Uxtalzon » 13 Apr 2018, 18:40

Hmmm. Brings up many questions... I'll ask the more important ones.

1) Guild member limit? This game was built so that more players working together = winning. A guild of 20 against another guild of 50 will never win. What stops them from just joining the bigger one, so now a guild of 70 with no actual opponents and no risk of losing to anyone? Unless you have a designated faction every player has to choose at the start or something, anyone joining in would obviously pick the biggest guild.

2) Couple of no good hoodlums join in with hacks and start terrorizing their way to the top of the scoreboard. They finally get banned, but the damage is done. Players upset, scores are a mess, etc. What then? Better to ask more generic though, what will you do if the entire event fails in disaster?

3) Going to close some servers beforehand? Population across all is depressing, even now. Then you have ongoing issues that are still affecting the game, like server borders, crashes, IBs lagging out, to the point where some players abuse the bugs.

4) Will this cut into development of what the MMO is supposed to be? Usually extra game mode stuff like this comes AFTER a game is released and complete.

Jickman

Post by Jickman » 13 Apr 2018, 18:41

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Hell NO to wipes every 2 months, there are 4 things you need to do for this game to survive and you do not have to be a nuclear fizist to see that :
1. First character FREE so you can advertise this game as FREE to PLAY so you attract more population (2nd char and so on cost, same as premium time)
2. ACCTUAL ADVERTISING, which obviously you do not have as a lot of games same type, considering a lot of players i have spoke with heard about game because their friend play it and not tru advertises ..
3. PVP - remove the sige totems completely as this game has those frikkin Trebuchets which can be used to destroy someone claim , this is is SURVIVAL game, you survive or perish, if you dont like it go play farmville...
4. HUGE DROP ON SKIN COSTS - if all those weapon and armor skins would cost 2$ per one instead of insane prices you have now, you could generate more profit just by selling more for lesser price, as there is no way i would ever consider buying a skin at this price level, and a lot of players agree with me.
Last edited by Jickman on 13 Apr 2018, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Walone

Post by Walone » 13 Apr 2018, 18:48

I´m very dissapointed with this proposal, less population instead of balance avalon for having fun all, we were 40 pvp active players in my guild, now we are like 15 since the shamed ama of avalon.

- ONE GUILD PER ACCOUNT
- THE MORE MEMBERS A GUILD HAS, IT CAN BE UPGRADED, SO A 10 MAN GUILD PER EXAMPLE JUST CAN BE TIER 2
- LIMIT THE BUILD OF SWORDS PER SINGULAR SERVERS.
- REPAIR KITS IN THE JH ARE JUST WAY TOO OP.
- all the farming activities are under secured areas so there isnt pvp fightings for
- increase the ratios of special ingredients outside of the claims
etc

Tesera

Post by Tesera » 13 Apr 2018, 18:52

The idea is not bad, although I think it could be better than in a new Abella where all start from scratch, start a world with respawn of 1 year, make more real the pvp experience with the pve, an example, if you attack a guild and the expires this automatically goes to vassalage, for a certain time (1 month for example) in which if you reveal your new masters takes away double alignment, this includes full access to new facilities and payments weekly (real weeks). A real experience implies that the pve suffer attacks from the pvp, as it happened. You can also do a monthly ranquing of the clans with scores for conquests and deaths. With the prizes you mention. On the other hand I think that it is necessary to implement passenger cars and even siege weapons, to be able to move around different servers. Allow to create personal special claims for war. Change the trading post for markets managed by the AI, and thus force journeys for maintenance. And avoid a lock in the castles. In declared wars (1 week of advance declaration) with new norms to be able to prepare the fight to allow the destruction of the sword and thus to conclude with the fight or in its defect an option of surrender.
A greeting

Yhym

Post by Yhym » 13 Apr 2018, 19:11

Something else comes to my mind to make the idea even more great than is now.

1 - One Account, One player
2 - Change the winning conditions from PVE to PVP

The winner should be a guild which gather most of the head in guild monument. For example player A is killing player B, so the head of player B is going directly to the guild monument and is possible to see on the list. If player C is killing player B in a time less than 24 hours from his last death his head is not collected. Also if player A is dying and he collected to the guild 10 heads in last 24 hours all his drop from that day is removed, everythink more than 24 hours is pernamently saved and counted as a clan points. To prevent killing box at the end of server 50% players with the most total death are not counted as clan points also theirs total collection not added to the clan points.

Ofc tje idea can be improved, for sure is not perfect at this moment :)
Last edited by Yhym on 13 Apr 2018, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

W015

Post by W015 » 13 Apr 2018, 19:18

Great idea! :beer:

I am sure there will be feedback after and during each round XD But I still suggest
-should not have any private claims, only guild claims (for fighting over resources)
-should be a new World, but maybe 5x5 or 6x6
-double the size of realms
-double the duration of JH to 4 hrs

I'll be a meat-shield anyway the first set up is!

Rhead1188

Post by Rhead1188 » 13 Apr 2018, 19:22

Wow, lets split the already divided and falling population even further... Great idea. Why dont you focus on getting new players to the game instead of just selling us more tickets? Here is some great ideas below as suggested by many others.

- One guild per account
- Guilds need 10 members per tier on their monument. For example a t2 monument needs 20 members.

If this game isn't beginning to show improvement within a month, you will lose another subscriber.

Arabella

Post by Arabella » 13 Apr 2018, 19:25

Sigh. Why are you killing your own game? This seems like you want the population to die.
Last edited by Arabella on 13 Apr 2018, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 13 Apr 2018, 19:25

I think this idea is what a lot of the "hardcore PVPers" want....but my only concern is about population density and spreading people out over too many servers.

MrEradSL
Zealous Believer

Post by MrEradSL » 13 Apr 2018, 19:27

This news post is pretty infuriating. So this rule set is just Your Own on a "MMO" scale. It looks like you're trying to mimic what Crowfall will be doing instead of giving the player base the game they paid for.

Revert Buyan so its NA's equal like it should have been instead of making it the bastard server. Restore bark boxing (or create ladders) and give us our cheaper IB's that were claimed in previous AMA's (granted 2hr JH's etc were to make a comeback if servers were fixed). I don't believe the costs on Avalon were cut but this was supposed to be a global server change for IBs.

I don't see the point of this server except for a last ditch cash grab. LiF fills its own unique niche & everything has been done to protect sheep 100% and limit PvP. Why not cut the resource cost or production time down by 25% to 50% on the current servers so destruction can happen more frequently but losing wouldn't be so detrimental? The MMO is about longevity & territory being taken and lost. The forming of new alliances & crumbling of old but we have none of that. Instead in a previous AMA we were told we're not supposed to build on realm claim hence why the game is stagnant. No sieges everything on town claim no reason to do anything out of it.

Anyways this is the end of my rant and I believe opening a new accelerated PVP server is foolish. You might as well tell the modders how to uncap Your Own if you're going that route.

Kecro_shawca

Post by Kecro_shawca » 13 Apr 2018, 19:30

This is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen. You are wanting to make a new server that will KILL any and all pvp on the current ones. What you need to do is implement new Pvp rules and merge the already existing servers. You make everything completely in the game for defenses and protection completely obsolete as the rule set has the game to be a farming simulator. You need to make changes in order to save this MMO, this idea is going to dig the hole even deeper. If you want to get some real ideas on what to do TALK to some players who PVP and what we want and stop catering to the PVER's who are happy playing with a few people rather than the PVPers who want full scale battles and regional wars. 10,000 players one server. Come the heck on your struggling to get 1000 and now you want to split it up even more, remove head from anus.

Tashka

Post by Tashka » 13 Apr 2018, 19:39

I've bought YO the moment it was released and never played it 'cause MMO is what i wanted. Now you're basically telling that you can't solve the sheep/wolves dilemma in a MMO so let's move all the wolves to a glorified YO server.

Meh :no: .
Shadow queen, tyrant, crooked whore, bloody goddess, Princess of Verna, self-proclaimed Queen in Kingdom of the North (Epleland)

Books for the people! - a client mod to let you write books and messages

MaxEisenhardt
Zealous Believer

Post by MaxEisenhardt » 13 Apr 2018, 19:41

I personally think this is trash. This is not what I was sold on. Honestly I would like a refund. It's disappointing that developers sell you on a product and then pull a fast one on you. I thought you guys were better than this.

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 13 Apr 2018, 19:42

You're going to kill the game even more imho. EU servers are practically a wasteland since the Russian servers launched. Making yet more severs could have an even bigger impact on the already dwindling/thinly spread populations.

Sycopata666
True Believer

Post by Sycopata666 » 13 Apr 2018, 19:43

Nice bait bobik, let the wole PVE care bear vote NOOOOO to keep the PVP body guards in his servers.

Return to General Discussion