What killed this game? - And is it worth rejoining?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.
Avarixzen
Zealous Believer

What killed this game? - And is it worth rejoining?

Post by Avarixzen » 01 Aug 2019, 02:17

I've been AWOL for a while, when the game first released I was excited to hop on it. However I had issues which led to me leaving the game behind sadly. I came to revisit it only recently, to find out the servers had all bee migrated into one, and it had gone Free To Play. Which are both heavily common in games that are losing players and dying. Doesn't seem to have done much to save it looking at the current player counts.

Its honestly disappointing, looking at games like Wurm I was hoping Life Is Feudal would blow up - and in my return I'd be greeted by a world with some lore building, kingdoms and all sorts. A thriving player-base, kingdoms and new features.

All I see though, is barely anybody - a lot of people very disappointing in the game, claiming the developers are at fault.

So what killed the game in the end? If you left, why did you leave? (Presumably you didn't if you're on these forums)

I'm not somebody who strives for PvP content either, I'd be still happy to play the game if it had gone the route of Wurm - aka roleplay based. Just curious.

SeNeX

Re: What killed this game? - And is it worth rejoining?

Post by SeNeX » 01 Aug 2019, 08:09

The Game is dead.
Sure with the migration and new patch they got to 3000 players for a short period of time but also they lost many active players. I stopped playing as they closed the old worlds and many of my old group did the same some joined the new world. It was this point were the developers cut the chains. No massive claim to care no guild economy that must be dealt with. Now they are back to 500-600 ? That was one Server population in the past.

Erefar

Post by Erefar » 01 Aug 2019, 09:09

I play this game about 3 years, and dont wanna go in other games. Yes, this project not a perfect, but this game is unicum. What i really want and hope is a reborn (is a third reborn? i forget but who cares), when LiF will be clearly perfect game, whis no bugs and lags and more, really more contents.
P.S. The game is not dead, you just tired and dont know what you want about game like LiF

Ishamael
Alpha Tester

Post by Ishamael » 14 Aug 2019, 20:18

Bad developer decisions killed this game.

1) Hosting NA servers on shitty virtual servers.

2) Having a shit-show release with several delays and servers that were literally wiped because players received GM status on accident.

3) Letting hundreds of asian players with high ping swarm the NA server (they should have been given their own server).

4) Remove PVP mechanics from a game that was heavily PVP from it's founding within the first month of release.

5) Aim-botting and other exploiting.

6) Very bad network code (complicated by asian players) causing IBs to play as stutter frames.

7) They added siege mechanics but then made the leveling system absolutely retarded.

8) etc. etc etc... this list is very long.

To make a long story short, they were originally funded by a hardcore-PVP oriented playerbase and then they got greedy trying to cater to a soft-core PVE playerbase.

Now look at them. Begging for scraps. It's sad man.

There's no joy in watching this game fail. It's not always a good thing to be proven correct.
"Yes, Betrayer of Hope. They gave me the name to revile me, but I will yet make them kneel and worship it."
—Ishamael

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

The_Lord_Rahl
Zealous Believer

Post by The_Lord_Rahl » 27 Aug 2019, 03:39

It's been about two years since I've played. I'm going to reinstall and poke around a bit. One thing that drew me to the game was the minigames and companion app.

I really liked the idea of being able to bank up minigame scores when I'm not at my computer and then use them to speed up some of the gathering.

It still doesn't look like this feature ever got added.
"There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion." - Terry Goodkind

WestArcher

Post by WestArcher » 28 Aug 2019, 18:00

Honestly the MMO was a mistake.
LiF would have been incredible with an increased server cap (about 200) along with releasing modtools/devkit

Monco

Post by Monco » 16 Oct 2019, 08:32

-
Last edited by Monco on 02 Jul 2020, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 26 Nov 2019, 12:08

Dev drove themselfs in a dead end situation, on my opinion. They still focus on a very big MMO style, while its proven several times that the engine cant handle that much players. Performance isnt any better than the situation of the first open Beta days.

- Open world is only playable with an nealry empty map. Still unpalyable with a MMO like player base. Sure with like 500 Players over the whole map, delay is ok, but that feels more like hosting our own empty server than a MMO.
- Massiv battles and sieges were promised but everthing that would be massiv is unplayable. Status is not even anywhere near acceptable for the game style.
- physic based combat with huge delay and lag. Even if your client connection is good, the server is calculating that slow, that the combat system is more luck than a good feeling.
- A player driven world that became a gm event driven world. Devs were so heavily focused on Endgame PVP that they messed up everything else. The world is sensless pvp where a huge factions just swarms over everything. The game lacks major economy systems to prevent sensles pvp.
- Open world promised. And we got trade posts that magically transfer goods easy and save (sensles pvp only world), teleports, instanced battles, instanced pvp and and and. Due to performance issues everything cool was put out of the world.
- No wipes promised after the end of open beta and we already got a wipe in the beta process.

For me, the original idea of the massiv MMO game is dead long ago. The engine and quality of devs obviously cant handle the promised scales. Now its just trying to make it happen, doesnt matter how much they have to change.

Instead of ignoring YO, they should focus on it even more, instead on a failed game. YO has more players than MMO and that without any attention for over a year.
Devs should update YO, advance the Server to fit more players, adapt the awesome community work (maps, rp stuff). They could handle YO but the MMO is to big for them, with an engine that will never handle something massiv.

TheBruce

Post by TheBruce » 26 Nov 2019, 20:39

Gruber wrote:Instead of ignoring YO, they should focus on it even more, instead on a failed game. YO has more players than MMO and that without any attention for over a year.
Devs should update YO, advance the Server to fit more players, adapt the awesome community work (maps, rp stuff). They could handle YO but the MMO is to big for them, with an engine that will never handle something massiv.

Quote it all, YO still have strong communities. They should update to mmo version and raise player cap at least to 200.
And if they want to keep developing in some way they can make official servers like atlas or ark did.
And for sure they should release toolkit for modding, games like M&B are still alive after more than a decade thanks to user-created content.

In any case i've lost hope to see this happen, devs has become too greedy and lazy. They used to release an update each week/10d, now they only release event stuff, videos and so on.

Www.andorian_warrior

Post by Www.andorian_warrior » 07 Dec 2019, 02:00

I left this game over a year ago

Unlikely I will return

Devs have a lot of work to do to get me back into feudal.

but if they are listening.....devs follow the cures and you will become enlightened

1. Combat - lags, miss or hit and stamina - the cure=mount and blade...watch and learn.....If you find yourselves 4am in the morning still charging a line of men on horses.....end of lesson

2. Grinding - 2 weeks of game time to build a house - the cure=go outside and see how long it takes you to build shelter in the rain with no clothes on....if its quicker then 2 weeks......end of lesson

3. Guild - 2000000000 1-5 player Guilds - the cure=find 1 other person, head outside to a large unbuilt area, say to other person we have to build a castle, stables, mill, stores, houses.....tell strangers you don't trust them.....when other person leaves.....end of lesson

4. Spawning - I love walking 3 hours to meet my friend - the cure= Get plane ticket, go to sahara desert, get back without vehicles......enjoy it.....end of lesson

5. Trolling - campfire is the way over a wall - the cure= go to china, visit the great wall, get over it with 6 stones, 3 twigs and a 4 ft wooden log....if you cant do it......end of lesson

6. Charging - My horse doesn't get hurt - the cure= Put a pointy stick in the ground, run at it...….if there's blood, its does damage....end of lesson

7. Hunting - The tracks lead to nothing - the cure=Wait till winter and it snows, head outside and into the woods, stop, look behind you.....if you see foot prints.....end of lesson

8. Stamina - I cant swing my sword more then twice - the cure= go to a museum and get a claymore......break into a lions den in a zoo....if you can lift the sword 2 times before getting eaten....end of lesson.

these cures are for feudal game developers only......I cannot take any responsibility for injury and death.....

Desmas

Post by Desmas » 08 Dec 2019, 20:11

What drove me away were the problems that impacted player on solo level. Before one big map economy was broken. There was no point selling things, because you could just mine ore and sell it to crown. When it came to trading with other settlements, you couldn't access their trading post (without being inside their guild) what made whole trading posts pointless. What means if you wanted to play solo, you had to have multiple characters, because no one had needs to sell you stuff you couldn't make yourself.
Then after they turned game onto single map...One of the best thing is the beginning where everyone is back to 0 and race to better gear begins. Thing is, their trading posts still didn't work properly. I saw thing being sold in other safe zone Auction House, but I couldn't buy it (even tho there was button "deliver to this auction house" or something like that). When I asked if this is intended to work this way, they responded with something like:"...yes, this is supposed to encourage players guilds...". Apparently they didn't know even themselves and few months later when I checked game I was able to buy stuff from other auctions houses, but this meant that the race was over. This is why I stopped playing. One first wipe the game economy was broke. After wipe the auctions houses were still broken.
And today I was like:"F#ck it, ill try again", but then I saw that game went free to play, without any compensation to those who bought the game. Atleast I didn't read out anywhere that players who bought the game got it, what shows devs attitude towards their playersbase and I am just "No, f#ck this sh#t! Not worth my time investment"

Kjelltan

Post by Kjelltan » 12 Dec 2019, 11:05

I am a Solo Player who plays about 1-3 Hours a day. I realy like the game but for me the biggest Problem is the traiding system. Espacially the broken buy offers wich are 9/10 not working. And i think its not that hard to fix it.

Xarrazz

Post by Xarrazz » 14 Dec 2019, 09:26

A number of things, most of them already mentioned in this topic, but for me it was ultimately the combat. Combination of too fast movement, psychics based combat, slow caveman swing animations, buggy hitboxes, overly heavy gear, armor not working like a armor (as in actually deflecting damage, not reducing it), shitty parry, unbalanced weapons (swords>everything else) and lag makes combat a weird and unpleasant hit-and-run tag.

Oh, and I find it kinda scummy that this game is advertised as an "hardcore survival game" when it's not.

Artemisriv
Zealous Believer

Post by Artemisriv » 07 Jan 2020, 10:57

I think it is time for me to tell my story.. i have over 8k hours ingame (3k+ in MMO 5k+ in Lif:YO). Played since the very first hours the MMO opened the doors. We've seen the sun rise in Abella. Well i can tell u the sun went down and never came back up.

To be honest i still have weakness for the game, why?;
- The absolute freedom to build anywhere u want and the player driven economy that can be here is something i never found in any other game.
- U actually have to spent time to get something good. Some call it endless grinding, i got one tip for u; go play cs:go, Rust or another fast paced game. This one is not for u. Here you have to plan ahead, sow and harvest your fields in time and prepare for winter. Make armor, build castles.. it takes time. But heck in RL it takes times as well. Ever seen a house been built in a day? Luckilly those things still go relatively quick ingame.
- While its no state of the art real life graphics, the game still looks awsome. I still think back to the times i spent my mornings riding in forests on my horse just to enjoy the surroundings!

Whats the problem then? U seem to like the game and are all into the grind, why not give a positive swing to rejoin the game. Wel, fasten your seatbelts cuz this one is going to be rough.

- Imho a medieval game about towns, proffesions, kingdoms, guilds and such all turn around the pvp element. (yes its more dutch then a good english sentence but i hope u know what i mean) no PVP in an medieval MMO means the game is death. I think the devs really did a great job on that. Take away as much as possible options for pvp and your ingame population will eventually go and quit playing. Instanced battles are perhaps the only way to cope with the massive lag great groups of players cause.. it aint that much fun like sacking a castle in LiF:Yo is. Why bother dragging your ♥♥♥ to an empty battlefield whilst u have a castle u can sit in, and whats to conquer? An empty field? the ragged clothing most people bring?
*Tip for the devs if u ever read this: Dont go over protective to new players, the game is all about harsh medieval life. Towns and kingdoms came and went down just as fast as the sun did in those times.. if people cant handle stuff being stolen because u left your crate outside the door or guilds being raided go cry me a river and try candycrush instead. The game is called: 'Life is Feudal' WTF do people expect.

- Cut the crap ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t with all the skins and focus on the game itself and listen to the community for once. HELL YES they look so nice, but does it change my oppinion of the game? No. Does it add an extra dimension? Yes, sure does but people dont mind if i run around in my fancy cooking outfit.. o wait.. there are hardly any people left to look at me. *sigh.

- At one point our Kingdom (Bloodpact) was real big, and representing alot of the players. We even had talks with Bobik and other devs about the way the game was going, how they were seeing things. Why dont u people listen to the community, why even bother to ask us then if u wont do anything with it?? We told u over and over what people liked, and u still turned the game into #%%!$# and only listened to ♥♥♥♥♥ players asking for better protection.

This game could have been gold. But sadly you just dont care.. i still watch the updates... And sadly every friday it stays black, no sun rising.. only small bugfixes, community movies.. perhaps a new skin WHOOHOO.. not.

Seriously, dont get back into this game until the devs decide to drasticly go the other way, go back to where LiF:Yo once was. And perhaps.. and thats a little perhaps. The old player base that used to make this game great wil come back sometime.

Fanega70

Post by Fanega70 » 10 Jan 2020, 11:06

I started in the game January, 2018 when Skjultland was released. I had never played any MMO before this, i really loved the game when i entered, the combat system, the leveling system, the role that i was a farmer, another person the blacksmith... as all the people only had 1 character. Now I still play LiF but just because people i knew on the game and because there isn't any other game like LiF, I started in Skjultland, which wasn't the pvp server, and we had real active wars and raids everyday, now that's gone, we just have an empty world out of sieges, 95% of the people of my original guild have left the game mainly because of lag and bugs and nothing being done by devs (nearly no new content), and also less enjoyable pvp (raids) everyday. In my opinion LiF it's a game of big guilds, and many things started going wrong when people could have more than 1 character and more than 1 proffesion, if you can do all why will you join other players, and because of that we now see many guilds of just 2 or 3 people, i think that old day role when i was farmer, and everyone has his role in the guild has gone. In my opinion, we could only be able to have 1 character, maybe it seems hardcore, but LiF was supposed to be a hardcore game.

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 13 Jan 2020, 15:49

Artemisriv wrote:- Imho a medieval game about towns, proffesions, kingdoms, guilds and such all turn around the pvp element. (yes its more dutch then a good english sentence but i hope u know what i mean) no PVP in an medieval MMO means the game is death. I think the devs really did a great job on that. Take away as much as possible options for pvp and your ingame population will eventually go and quit playing. Instanced battles are perhaps the only way to cope with the massive lag great groups of players cause.. it aint that much fun like sacking a castle in LiF:Yo is. Why bother dragging your ♥♥♥ to an empty battlefield whilst u have a castle u can sit in, and whats to conquer? An empty field? the ragged clothing most people bring?
*Tip for the devs if u ever read this: Dont go over protective to new players, the game is all about harsh medieval life. Towns and kingdoms came and went down just as fast as the sun did in those times.. if people cant handle stuff being stolen because u left your crate outside the door or guilds being raided go cry me a river and try candycrush instead. The game is called: 'Life is Feudal' WTF do people expect.

Yes, its called Life is Feudal and not Chivalrie or Mordhau with senseless PvP. Actually the player driven world and "economy" (Guild have everything at their own, so there never was a real economy) was destroyed by a minority of hardcore pvp players who simply destroy other peoples fun because they are bored by the game. Dont get me wrong, pvp can be a big part of an sandbox game like LiF, but if the only PvP is big guildes crushing smaler ones one after another and nothing more, its the reason why everyone except the big guild leave the server and big guild die out auf boredom. What was present in the open Beta and was foecasted by many, had nothing to do with a Feudal world with economy and politics. Biggest part of medieval politics were 1. Religion and 2. personal wealth and interest. The big impact of religion isnt even implented in the slightest way and the individual player is worth nothing, only being the minion of a big guild without any privat belongings, unlike the real world were nobleman were funding the wars of kings.

LiF missed the point in focusing in PvP while missing everything interesting around it. Building up a castle is cool, but our guild had the castle walls and everything up after 3 weeks, after that it was mainly autoclick dummy hitting, much fun.

I dont get it, why people would play LiF for PvP only. PvP in this game is crap. Even if it is not unplayable laggy, the netcode is still so bad, that hitting your target is more luck than skill. overpowered weapons that outgame the shitty netcode are the only choice if you want to pvp. Everyone who played a good physic based combat game, knows that LiF PvP is the worst.

Artemisriv wrote:- At one point our Kingdom (Bloodpact) was real big, and representing alot of the players. We even had talks with Bobik and other devs about the way the game was going, how they were seeing things. Why dont u people listen to the community, why even bother to ask us then if u wont do anything with it?? We told u over and over what people liked, and u still turned the game into #%%!$# and only listened to ♥♥♥♥♥ players asking for better protection.

Thats the biggest reason why the majority of the player base was gone within the first few month. Big guilds thinking they would represent the majority, while in real numbers they are the minority. At the start of the open beta, all big guilds together, who wiped out the server later, didnt even reach 25% of the total player base.

But what to discuss about a dead game anyway. For a game that is still in Beta and obviously needs a lot of improvement and content to keep an active player base for longer than 3 month after a wipe, its very quite around patches and development.

Agathius

Post by Agathius » 13 Mar 2020, 08:18

Ironically, the game does not seem as dead as it was months ago. I remember at one point it was 650 online in peak, now it's 1000-1200 on Godenland. If Devs use this momentum correctly and do good update, the game can get back on track.

Nevertheless to say, it's quite fun as it is atm. Only problem i've had is FPS, most ping problems seem to not exist as they once used to
πόλεμος πάντων μὲν πατήρ ἐστι, πάντων δὲ βασιλεύς

AnabolicMAYHEM

Post by AnabolicMAYHEM » 31 Mar 2020, 00:37

Every sandbox mmo to be released has something wrong with the game where the player base gripes and complains. What is funny is New World will be a bust as well. The only hope the sandbox community has is Mortal online 2, which wont be released most likely until 2021.

I just started Life is Feudal and my background consists of Mortal Online, Darkfall, and Albion Online. Yeah the game has some glitches but who gives a shit. So far I have been impressed. The amount of detail that has gone into the game is impressive and it has ran perfectly on my machine. The combat is fun and no other sandbox provides such a in depth building system.

No game will ever compare to SWG. Just keep that in mind and all other sandboxes out right now are trash.

Arevin

Post by Arevin » 14 Apr 2020, 18:54

The game has plenty of potential, there were thousands of players at the beginning across many servers.

The game attracts pvp players, backed up by PvE players, working together, viable groups formed, able to produce what was necessary to wage war. The most popular forever war game is Eve Online, they struck a great balance between the amount of time you need to pve to level and create the gear you need for war, and to engage in unrestricted warfare when desired.

LIF has made the mistake with the game balance, there is too much pve required to support the desired pvp that people want. Instance battles where good for a time, I had 100v100 battles with nil lag and it was a great experience.

Today, even with the Chinese getting kicked off EU servers to their own, so they can't cheat and lag on demand, LIF has the other hurdle of reducing the PvE burden required to take part in PvP.

Until they make it easier, instead of harder to make materials for war, the larger player base of PvP players will never return, and the MMO version of this game will stay dead.

The devs confirmed way more people play YO version, they make more money from it, and will put more into it for that reason. The MMO is not worth it in it's current form.

So change the form! Make it a PvP viable game again, less pve, more pvp; they'll get more subscribers, revenue, and resources.

Until then, keep playing...something else. This MMO does not have a future, it hasn't for a long time, and nothing in the last AMA indicated it would. :beer:
Now is the time for all good American men and women to rise to the defense of our country, Trump has become a clear and present danger to the nation. :evil:

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 10 May 2020, 21:44

I left this game over a year and a half ago.. due to the Chinese invasion and horrific NA server hosting. Which I along with several others told the developers about. But they didnt listen so the NA servers died a violent death at the hands of lagswitching Chinese players.

I recently heard there was a wipe so I looked at the forums here and on youtube. And what do I see... the same stuff over again. Really no changes. But somehow there are 2400 people on a server?! LOL must be bots.

Sorry if the game never got its network code fixed it is still bad. Welp at least there is the other money sink of Star Citizen LOL.

Friendlinzh

Post by Friendlinzh » 16 Jun 2020, 00:20

What killed this game?

they dont have a good develop team

JulesRitter
Zealous Believer

Post by JulesRitter » 23 Jun 2020, 21:43

So, it's not quite dead...

I see alot of PVE players clustered in towns around TPs. Probably the majority of players were PVE, wanted community, friends, etc.. like they get on YO, but on a larger scale. Well that was my expectation anyway. I have been in Guilds and a loner, I have played PVP and PVE...

PVP players were and are a bit vocal, and the most vocal are a bit aggressive and immature, but they are not the majority. The can remember Devs putting PVP player requests high on their priority lists, while basic functions like lag were ignored. They worried about someone finding some hack to deal with the grind as opposed to performance or free choice of ones playstyle. Players got tired of fighting the app and not enjoying the game. A lot of players I know went back to YO.

Dunkelklinge

Post by Dunkelklinge » 26 Sep 2020, 22:51

I was a RP-PVE player. After the RP Server closed, 75% of the players from the server left. We found some to join the new mixed server but as u can imagine, we where not into pve and so we get raidet and farmed......some of us tried to get into pvp to defend our peaceful village but we cant handled proffesional PVP players so the last guys left. Me and a lot of my friends are waiting for a new RP/Pve server. We are fine with some pvp if the people want but most of us only want to build, hunt and TRADE. Well flame me for be a RP-Player but not everyone wants castles and stupid battles. I can imagine, most ppl are pve players cause there are no good open world sandbox carfting mmorgp out there. Sure wurm and such things but to be honest...they are old and horrible with the controls

SeNeX

Post by SeNeX » 03 Oct 2020, 08:42

maybe when they bring back Epleland/ Rp server some Players will return

Korgak

Post by Korgak » 06 Oct 2020, 11:31

if Epleland/RP server reopens, you have my sword and pickaxe

Idashabazali

Post by Idashabazali » 26 Mar 2024, 17:07

Throughout history, libraries have played a pivotal role in intellectual advancement z library books. Monasteries during the Middle Ages served as safe havens for copying and preserving ancient texts. The invention of the printing press in the 15th century revolutionized knowledge dissemination, making books more accessible and ultimately leading to the establishment of public libraries.

Return to General Discussion