How do I back up my world?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Longhairdfreak

How do I back up my world?

Post by Longhairdfreak » 26 Sep 2014, 07:46

My friends and I have been hitting the world I created pretty hard. After todays patch, however, I am having major issues and looks like I will need a reinstall. I did a verify, and it found 2 files needing replace, and that will get the server ap to actually load now, but cannot connect. Also getting a DB error. Until the verify, I could not get the create world to start at all. I will reinstall, but I assume our world data is here somewhere needing to be copied, and I will move it into the reinstalled game, hoping that will work. Kind of like copying the data folder and save folder when reinstalling a game like skyrim, so nothing is lost. I really want to avoid wiping the server and starting over. Suggestions?

NapalmVFR

Re: How do I back up my world?

Post by NapalmVFR » 26 Sep 2014, 08:10

Is this on a dedicated server you are hosting or from the in-game server that launches when you "Create a World"?

To backup the server you need to access the MySQL database.

Longhairdfreak

Post by Longhairdfreak » 26 Sep 2014, 08:19

Sorry, in game create a world.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 26 Sep 2014, 12:02

You need to copy that folder:

...SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own\daemon\mariadb

Also backup config from:

...SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own\server\config

Shu

Post by Shu » 26 Sep 2014, 16:41

I'd like to set up a dedicated server, now that I've fiddled around some days on the in-game server. But I don't want to lose my progress!
Is there a similar method for migrating the in-game DB into a dedicated server DB?

GrimmLiberty

Post by GrimmLiberty » 26 Sep 2014, 17:21

Shu wrote:I'd like to set up a dedicated server, now that I've fiddled around some days on the in-game server. But I don't want to lose my progress!
Is there a similar method for migrating the in-game DB into a dedicated server DB?

Yes, log into the DB and export it. Then you can log into the dedicaed MariaDB and import it. There are videos on youtube that can explain how to log into sql and export/import. There are also so good ones on setting up a dedicated lif server.

Shu

Post by Shu » 26 Sep 2014, 17:33

How do I log into the embedded DB? I work with MySQL daliy, so I do know my way around it in general - but how would I get the data from the embedded DB, since it is not tied to any running DBMS service?

GrimmLiberty

Post by GrimmLiberty » 26 Sep 2014, 17:40

Shu wrote:How do I log into the embedded DB? I work with MySQL daliy, so I do know my way around it in general - but how would I get the data from the embedded DB, since it is not tied to any running DBMS service?

It's just a runtime sql ....When you run the game and create the server, you will see it in your processes and the config file in the daemon server folder shows the needed info, just defaults really. If you already ran the game and made a server, it is likely a background process until you reboot.

Shu

Post by Shu » 26 Sep 2014, 17:51

I have, in the meantime, taken the "dirty road" by just copying the "lif_1" folder and ibdata1 file from the data folder over into my MariaDB path. (Copying the whole thing lead to the service not being able to start up anymore, these two however suffice.)

Shows up in HeidiSQL just fine, I'll see if it worked in a few minutes I hope. If I don't come back all teared up, it probably went well :D

Side note: I've seen that networking was specifically turned off for the "embedded" DB. I suppose that would need to be changed, or else a tool that may connect via named pipes. (Assuming that this setting actually works and disables TCP networking.)

Anyways, so far it looks good. And I realized that I should have tried before asking. Sorry for that. After knowing the paths, the rest was pretty straight forward. :beer:

GrimmLiberty

Post by GrimmLiberty » 26 Sep 2014, 17:54

Hey, no worries, we all pre-emtively ask things we night already know (or have the ability to figure out)now and again. And others might not have the slightest idea, so it is all good.

Shu

Post by Shu » 26 Sep 2014, 23:19

Warning: It wasn't that easy in the end. While copying those files carried my tables and schema over, it did not do so for the extensively used stored procedures!
There are two ways to solve this:
(Both assume that you already copied the folder and file from the local server like I did and described a few posts up.)

1) The file "(ProgramData)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\sql\new.sql" contains the template database script for a freshly created world. At its end are the SPs. You could just run these scripts (not the entire file! that will remove your copied world!) on your server to get them in.

2) Run your SQL tool and backup all tables in the "lif_1" schema (which contains your copied tables). Make sure to include "DROP TABLE" statements in your backup.
Then drop the schema "lif_1" and run the server once and close it after it has fully startet. This will auto create a new vanilla world in a scheme of the same name, complete with SPs. Then just restore your backup into the schema.
(This also works if you backed up the tables from the embedded server into a SQL backup script and forgot the SPs, or your tool doesn't have that option.)

Kampfertum89

Post by Kampfertum89 » 30 Dec 2014, 15:36

Also for those of you all who are having issues with the server crashing and never coming back follow the above steps given to backup the world ( the files from the LIF YO Dedicated Server/ LIF YO Folders) and then readd them back in after reinstalling the Dedicated server tool in STEAM AND a reinstall of Maria DB - recreate the DB for LIF_1 for the world 1 name and make sure everything you have says WORLD 1 in it... then you should be able to overwrite all the old files
DO NOT OVERWRITE THE PERFORMANCE_SCHEMA FOLDER THIS IS THE FOLDER THAT CORRUPTS IF AND WHEN THE SERVER BREAKS -
Still testing this theory - Hopefully this will have brought back all the work I had thought I had "lost" Even with GM tools trying to build a castle and level an area for a large village is hard ass work, took me four or five days of time to get as far as I had... then it corrupted and I was NOT starting from scratch, I hope this helps anyone who shared my pain... remember ALWAYS backup your server files regularly!!

MysTerioNSoul
True Believer

Post by MysTerioNSoul » 15 Dec 2022, 21:19

Arrakis wrote:You need to copy that folder:

...SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own\daemon\mariadb

Also backup config from:

...SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own\server\config

And how do I pause/stop the server?
When I leave the game, time doesn't stop and when I return, hours, days have passed...
I would like to leave the game and return to be at the same time.
It's possible?

Return to General Discussion