Results of 15/11 Livestream

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Results of 15/11 Livestream

Post by Dailato » 15 Nov 2013, 23:33

Try to keep it concise guys, this stuff might be added to the FAQ later for convenience sake. Try to avoid stuff allready mentioned directly on the FAQ/website.

In general: several non-critical features are on the backburner due to the failing indiegogo campaign. Most of these have been mentioned at some point in the FAQ but if anyone can remember the ones mentioned specifically feel free to post them.

Archery is currently broken but will certainly be in the game. Mounts and mounted combat haven't been implemented yet, and may take a while due to see above.

"Special" injuries, like bleeding wounds and fractures WILL heal automatically over time, with some lasting longer than others. Healers can significantly speed up the process, applying a buff called "bedrest" but any damage taken removes this buff. These injuries will carry significant debuffs to your speed and damage (and possibly other stats as well) that will give anyone fighting a previously injured opponent an advantage.

Piety can only be used to bless OTHER people, you will not be able to bless yourself for a reduction in skill loss on death. Piety is currently the ONLY way to the increase your alignment, by using a prayer with a daily cooldown. It will take time and dedication to have a high positive alignment, and should be a true sign that you have not attacked anyone in a long time (except in self-defense).

Ability scores are raised in the same way as the skill system, being able to lock, up, and down the stats you want to keep, improve, or decrease. Which stats actually get improved depends on the skills you are using, which each have a primary and secondary ability score that they increase.

Alchemy is similar to Skyrim alchemy, in that each ingredient has 3 specific effects, and you make potions by combining 3 ingredients. If at least two of the ingredients have share an effect, that effect will be added to the potion. There are also catalysts but their effect wasn't shown or explained (most likely it will increase the power of the potion)

Most uniquely about alchemy however was that it was revealed that the specific effects of each ingredient *differ* for each player. While the effects of potions, once brewed, remain the same regardless of who drinks them, each alchemist will have to discover recipes by himself. As an added bonus, most alchemical ingredients (with the same rarity/quality) will have similar value, as their usefullness depends on the player buying them, rather than a predetermined system.

Finally housing was revealed to take an extraordinary amount of time and effort, requiring to cut down a reasonable patch of forest (as well as mining alot of stone etc.) to craft 200 wooden boards for even a small house with just a few bindpoints. The largest structure in the game called "Large Keep" or "Palace", besides being impressively large and beautiful, requires 10 times more wood and the small house just for the wooden planks, an equal amount of marble (which is apparently a quite rare resource) quadruple that amount in cut stones, a good 500 mortar, and one more ingredient (possibly a large amount of metal ingots). It is extremely defensible, and can house many bindpoints, and is an indication of the kind of long-term "mini-goals" that players can set their eyes on as a guild, or alliance of guilds.

On a related note, digging, chopping wood, and gathering resources in general was shown to be a rather time consuming process. Digging for example, fills your bags with what you dig through, and you have a weight limit on how much you can carry in your bags. To keep on digging you must first empty your bags onto the floor, but this must be done outside your tunnel, as it will increase the level of the floor where you dump it, and could thus block off your tunnel if you dump it inside.

With the current numbers and weight limits shown in the video, it can take quite a while just to get through a single "block" of dirt by yourself. Especially taking into consideration that digging also uses stamina, and spam-digging will require you to catch your breath once in a while.

Something similar is true for logging, where you must carry a felled tree over to somewhere it can be processed (moving slowly cause it's really heavy) and sawing the tree into usable parts, which, by the looks of it, doesn't give too many parts per tree, perhaps a few usable planks per felled tree.

Searching for herbs will reveal (spawn) herbs in a small area around you, where you need to find and gather them one by one yourself. This did not seem as time consuming as the other activities, but it was done fully in GM mode so it was hard to tell.

Moving back to structures, it was shown you must constantly feed a fire some kind of fuel (in the demo, twigs) to keep it burning. A campfire burns through it's fuel fairly quickly, but the fire used in a kitchen (another buildable structure) burns through its fuel much slower, giving you time to cook many more ingredients before needing to add to the fire.

A similar building was shown for the blacksmith, a "Smith's workshop" which wasn't said much about.

A detail about cooking and hunger was that it was revealed that not only will eating good food increase your stamina regeneration, eating bad food will decrease it (despite still sating your hunger), meaning knowing (or being) a good cook is far more important than most any other MMO.

Staying on structures a moment longer the "Hermit Shack" was shown as the smallest housing available, little more than a shoddy hut with one bindpoint. It had very small floorplan though, and was cheap to build, so for solo-players looking to hide away in desolate areas, it could be quite popular, as it can be placed in areas normal housing cannot without alot more work to the surrounding area. (and possibly with mountains not being flattenable, some areas only this kind of house can be built).

Finally it was shown (quite hilariously) that almost anything can be used as a weapon in an emergency. From the spade you're using to shovel dirt, to the kettle you're cooking with. In relation to this it was said that claimed land will only protect your property (you can't loot people's chests on claimed land) but not your body. Meaning if you don't build a wall around your settlement people can still come in and kill you while you're crafting, loot whatever valuables you have on you, and make a run for it, but they can't also check out what's in the chest next to the furnace.

That's it for me, see if I misremembered anything or forgot some stuff (definitely forgot some stuff).

Yours truly -The Pope.

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Re: Results of 15/11 Livestream

Post by Kuroi » 16 Nov 2013, 00:21

thanks my Pope for this nice summary :) i really enjoyed the livestream, it shown a potential AWESOME game and the chat has been really funny :D

about eating, you also skill-up better if you eat good food, something about Skill Multiplier which is shown in the character profile :beer:

too bad about those chests in claimed lands, i hope one day they'll make so you can just lock them with a key that you can steal :D

Yours truly -The wannabe Thief (stealing signatures is a good start)

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 16 Nov 2013, 01:55

Thank you very much for that, I couldn't watch livestream, because it was lagging, so this list is very usefull for me and those, who missed it.

Dleatherus
Beta Tester

Post by Dleatherus » 16 Nov 2013, 02:04

i too was unable to watch it live - being in california it was during my work day

can't wait to see it on youtube - and thank you for the excellent, and thankfully not so concise summary :D

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Post by Kuroi » 16 Nov 2013, 02:29

@Dleatherus and Arrakis

you can already watch it on twitch, it automatically records everything goes live :)

@Arrakis

did you try refreshing/changing browser? it was lagging for me on firefox and i switched to chrome which was smooth

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 16 Nov 2013, 02:31

Kuroi wrote:thanks my Pope for this nice summary :) i really enjoyed the livestream, it shown a potential AWESOME game and the chat has been really funny :D

about eating, you also skill-up better if you eat good food, something about Skill Multiplier which is shown in the character profile :beer:

too bad about those chests in claimed lands, i hope one day they'll make so you can just lock them with a key that you can steal :D

Yours truly -The wannabe Thief (stealing signatures is a good start)

I know, my child, but the skill multiplier was allready in the FAQ, so i left it out, also if you are at war with someone their claim might not prevent you from stealing "raiding" their items/chests on claimes land, so being a thief is still possible, if not in the more traditional way.

One thing I didnt mention, but was alluded to on the stream, was the intention of death penalty for people with negative alignment. Out of the 600 skillpoint cap i believe it was mentioned both 50 and 100 as skillpoint losses for negative aligned people. This kind of loss would take a few days to fully recover asuming most skills reduced were at 90, and maintaining skills at 100 for any period of time would be almost impossible for a negative aligned person . I believe it was stated they wanted there to be disincentive for people to just kill everyone they came across, even dedicated robbers should try to avoid killing their victim at least, and if you really wanted to hurt someone there might be players dedicated to it, assassins willing to incur the cost of (risk of) dying with low alinment, for a price. rather than complete free for all, most people should only be fighting in official war, and those that dont know there is a price, as well as reward for crime. I think this is very nice for offering both viability of more peacefull and more sinister playstyles, should the user choose for it, and importantly prevent 90% of server being in constant free for all with no reason, just because they can.(which always feels boring and silly to me, as well as being against gods wishes)

Yours truly -The Pope

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Post by Kuroi » 16 Nov 2013, 03:00

Dailato wrote:I think this is very nice for offering both viability of more peacefull and more sinister playstyles, should the user choose for it, and importantly prevent 90% of server being in constant free for all with no reason

totally agree, skill loss is a good concept :)

Falke88
Alpha Tester

Post by Falke88 » 16 Nov 2013, 09:16

Thanks for this summary dude !

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 16 Nov 2013, 15:11

Dailato wrote:A detail about cooking and hunger was that it was revealed that not only will eating good food increase your stamina regeneration, eating bad food will decrease it (despite still sating your hunger), meaning knowing (or being) a good cook is far more important than most any other MMO.

Well, thank you for your complete writing on that stream! That is truly helpful :good:

Want to point out few details that should be corrected or explained more.
The quoted part of you text is not accurate. Even low quality of food will provide maximum regeneration rate of your HardStamina, if you are fed at 100%. But difference between being fed with high Q food or low Q food is how big or how small your skills raise multiplier. So if you want to progress your skills faster, then you should find or become yourself a good cook with a good farming, hunting and fishing backup. Just clarifying it, because not everyone is reading all of our FAQs.

As about amount of resources you need to build something, or amount of efforts you will need to achieve something - it is pretty much our current state of game balance vision. It is purely theoretical and I am looking forward eagerly for first feedback from players when we get alpha out and for first statistics in our DB, so I can accumulate those and tweak that balance.

Lahuzer
Alpha Tester

Post by Lahuzer » 16 Nov 2013, 15:30

Since I couldn't be there to see it. Is there anywhere that I could see it now? I didn't see it here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Bobikvvp So wonder if it might be up anywhere else?

Falke88
Alpha Tester

Post by Falke88 » 16 Nov 2013, 15:38

http://www.twitch.tv/bobik_lif/b/479300786

Its the 20:00min and 30:00min one

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Post by Kuroi » 16 Nov 2013, 15:40

Lahuzer wrote:Since I couldn't be there to see it. Is there anywhere that I could see it now? I didn't see it here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Bobikvvp So wonder if it might be up anywhere else?

i guess they'll need some time to upload it on youtube, in the meantime you can watch it on twitch :) it automatically records everything that goes live

http://www.twitch.tv/bobik_lif

on top/right, click Videos

EDIT: damn Falke! :evil:

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 16 Nov 2013, 15:44

http://www.twitch.tv/bobik_lif

click on videos, the top two are from the livestream (there was a crash in between)

Yours truly -The Pope

edit: well shit, looks like I'm not the only one lurking

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 16 Nov 2013, 15:45

I will upload those streams at Monday on our youtube channel. And yes, you can view them on twitch right now.

Gladius
Alpha Tester

Post by Gladius » 16 Nov 2013, 15:52

I'm currently watching the first 20min video of the livestream and it looks cool, i like it. :)

theinternetman
Alpha Tester

Post by theinternetman » 17 Nov 2013, 02:19

Really liking what I see so far, was extremely bummed when Dawntide went down so if this team managed to make a more polished experience with the same concepts as Dawntide I think we'll have a really big winner in terms of players from Wurm, Xsyon, former UO / UO private servers, Salem, Haven and Hearth, Darkfall, SWG Emu, Fall of Mankind, and many other sandbox games coming to LiF.

Based on having recruited tens to hundreds of players to play Sandbox MMOs I've found that it's very important to let people try your game. If their friends are building a town they'll probably want to check out your game and if they enjoy it, they'll most likely buy things from your cash shop, a premium subscription, etc. So some sort of recruit-a-friend option would be rather nice. Having a box cost without letting people get a taste for your game can be a gigantic barrier to entry and you better have a huge marketing team.

Glad to see PvP and Non-PvP players are planned to be represented because you would be alienating a ton of players by having mechanics that support the greifing and harassment of Non-PvP players.

Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Gloria Victis looks to be the main front runner in terms of Medieval PvP MMOs.

I know of a few niche gaming communities that when LiF is opened to the public would jump on getting a chance to play. Wurm without the horribly clunky combat and movement is something a lot of people have been waiting for.

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Post by Kuroi » 17 Nov 2013, 03:07

theinternetman wrote:Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Gloria Victis looks to be the main front runner in terms of Medieval PvP MMOs.

that's just the usual shitty mmorpg where just fighting matters... housing is even instanced -_-

theinternetman
Alpha Tester

Post by theinternetman » 17 Nov 2013, 03:32

Kuroi wrote:
theinternetman wrote:Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Gloria Victis looks to be the main front runner in terms of Medieval PvP MMOs.

that's just the usual shitty mmorpg where just fighting matters... housing is even instanced -_-

Yeah I think the two games are marketing to entirely different crowds of players.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 17 Nov 2013, 11:10

@theinternetman - You think right, GV is basicly massive medieval PvP battleground, its a great game with nice graphics, but this title is totally different genre of mmo, so we can't really compare GV and LiF anyhow.

@Kuroi - Its not shitty mmo, trust me, it's really good game, but pretty much different from what we have here.

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Post by Kuroi » 17 Nov 2013, 15:57

Arrakis wrote:@Kuroi - Its not shitty mmo, trust me, it's really good game, but pretty much different from what we have here.

well i tried it and after 3 days i uninstalled it |:

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 17 Nov 2013, 16:13

Kuroi wrote:
Arrakis wrote:@Kuroi - Its not shitty mmo, trust me, it's really good game, but pretty much different from what we have here.

well i tried it and after 3 days i uninstalled it |:

And that my child, is why there is a difference between subjective, and objective. So that people can have different opinions based on personal preference, without one being wrong.

Yours truly -The Pope

Return to General Discussion