[ENG] "Anvil Bay" 24/7 Blackbox server

DichBach

[ENG] "Anvil Bay" 24/7 Blackbox server

Post by DichBach » 16 Oct 2014, 16:44

ADDIT: Server is renamed to: Anvil Bay.

Overview
This password-protected, 64-player, 24/7 Blackbox hosted server is listed in in-game server list as:

"Anvil Bay slowRP noGMabuse Steamfriend dichbach"

[for how to get the password read on]

This server will be up for the next year and with a focus on friendly and competitive Role play-oriented exploration of the game and preparation for the MMO. The overall goal here is to foster an active server on which the mutual goal of all participants is to have fun exploring the game dynamics with settings and house rules that are close approximations to those projected for the eventual MMORPG.

House Rules

This server is free to play for anyone who wishes to abide by the following six "house rules:"

1. Mature minded.

2. Use our Teamspeak3 server. We will provide a "room" for your group and block access to non-group members if you so desire.

8.9.36.41:9186

Name:^UG^ UnitedGodz TS3

Scroll down to Life is Feudal channel.

3. Interested in team play and not interested in acting like a dick, grieving, trolling, or similarly abominable online behaviors.

4. You are interested in becoming a long-term participant on a Role-play-oriented server with the intent to explore how game and group PVP dynamics evolve over time.

5. You are opposed to grief play, exploits, cracking, admin-abuse, or similar "gamey" breaches of a roleplay oriented gaming environment.

6. You are willling to adhere to an honor-based system limiting total players (not characters) per group/community of 14 (with temporary flex to 16). Multiple toons per player is fine, though if this seems to represent a loophole that leads to exploit play, we may decide to limit that in some way.

Once you have either Steamfriended me or joined us on TS3 (see above) and convinced us you accede to the house rules, you can get the password.

You can easily find the server once you have either me or someone else in the server Steam friended.

Details

Following are additional details of the ethos we are seeking to promote on this server community.

Group Size Limit of 14: Why?
At the outset I will ask that each group plan on a rough group membership limit of fourteen (14) total players, with flex to 16 in instances where players are likely to be absent or stop playing. Multiple toons per player seems fine, though I'd prefer if folks did not try to exploit the game by multi-boxing multiple simultaneous toons using multiple client side machines.

The intent with this sort of "group size cap" is to foster a server on which there are multiple different settlements/groups, each of which will get a chance to get going with developing a community relatively unharrassed by other groups, and on which aggregation of multiple groups into one overly-large group that dominates the whole server is discouraged, at least at the outset.

With a 64 player login limit, a cap of 14 will allow for 4 large groups of 14 and an additional fifth group of 8 players.

Combat

We intend to do plenty of combat, warfare and use of siege on this server. But we also hope to all still be good friends at the end of the alpha period, and thus, go into the MMO as a solidary group who all have solid experience and friendshp on which to start playing the MMO as a team.

So, killing each other, raiding, and thieving are not 'excluded' per se, but we hope to let everyone get a chance to get going before we get into the non-consensual PVP stage.

"No GM Abuse"
I am the only GM and may well be for the duration of the server's lifetime. I will be EXTREMELY discerning about giving GM access to anyone else; I wouldn't even give it to my own mother to be honest, and she is dead so that says a lot. I DO NOT use GM mode for ANYTHING, except fixing problems and testing.

Do not ask me for GM access; if you have to ask, then not only do you not need it, but you are probably unworthy :D

This server is most certainly NOT my personal kingdom nor Godmode playground. I trudge along at 1x skill point progression modifier just like everyone else

I am presently in the middle of the range as far as skill points acquired and for all practical purposes I am just another player. If someone has something that needs to be done (e.g., removing fences or a campfire or otherwise fixing a glitch or doing something that ostensibly SHOULD be included in the game, such as tearing down "deleting" a building) they are welcome to ask me, I am glad to do it and I generally get to it within 30 minutes.

But beyond that, we "have no GMs" who play on this server.

I have played on a couple servers where the Admins had succumbed to the lure of quick and easy advancement in GM Mode and it progressively spoils it for everyone.

Long-term Access
I have rented this server for one year, so short of me dropping dead it will be up for that long at least.

The server is pw protected and if you would like to gain access please send me a Steam friend invite (Diche_Bach is my steam avatar) or join our TS, talk to us to convince us you understand and agree to the six house rules listed above and the pw is yours! Play all you want!

The wall of text in my original post is spoilered below in case you needed any of the links or other information therein.

Spoiler
Last edited by DichBach on 11 Nov 2014, 16:47, edited 15 times in total.

DichBach

Re: [ENG] "Margelian Sunbeam" 24/7 Blackbox server

Post by DichBach » 18 Oct 2014, 14:10

We now have one group of about 5 guys on the server with a community underway. No iron or buildings yet, but perhaps in a few more days.

Would be fantastic for one or two more groups to get going on the server!

If you are interested, send me a Steam friend invite and I'll fill you in and give you the login password.

The following quote will be "preaching to the choir" a bit, in that a lot of you will know the basic details of the game. But I'm linking people to this thread as a general information source and description of the expectations for the server so . . . a bit more information about the game in general and my agenda with this server I'm running.

author = BadaBoomBadaBang
So would someone say this game is along the lines of Haven & Hearth? Because I quite enjoyed that game... LIF is hilariously pricey though for an alpha build though.

Mount&Blade Warband style/quality visuals and sound and with M&B medieval era flavor, but with more or less Minecraft-esque terraforming (though more detailed, more fine-grained, more naturalistic, more realistic, and just generally better than Minecraft's world modification elements), tools that wear out, an extensive crafting system, set in a finite hand-made (ala Day-Z Arma mod) game map with resources distributed in patches, and which must be discovered, exploited (dependent on skills) and can be progressively expended. The skill system, craft system, world mofification system, food, attributes, etc. are all exceptional in that they promote team play (though a server's settings could be jacked up so much that everyone can become a GodKing within 3 hours, that is not the vision for the eventual MMO version of the game).

There are basically two games here: 1. The one that is currently available for $40 or whatever called Life is Feudal: Your Own. 2. The one that only a small insider group of testers have any access to, and which they project releasing in 3rd or 4th quarter 2015, to be called Life is Feudal:MMORPG (or some such). The game engine will be identical, but the MMO will be a persistent world with NPCs, pre-made 'safe' villages and a large 'wildernes'' area in which players are free to make territorial claims, create kingdoms, engage in wars, and carve an empire out of the landscape. There is an alignment system that ranges from -100 (evil criminal) to +100 (Dalai Lama). You will be able to trespass, thieve, attack and knockout, etc., and it will lower your align as low as -49. The only way to get to -50 is to commit murder. Once you cross that line, there will be no going back, but at -49 and above, daily prayer (and possibly other quest based stuff, or NPC interactions) can raise it back up. There are benes to being positive alignment and at -50 anybody can kill you at any time for no "assault" or murder align penalty. There is a flee and yield system so the point is to foster an MMO where you are not dying every other session and PC death is relatively rare I suppose. Dying leads to respawn with point loss, but worse for neg alignment.

It is certainly alpha, and has a lot of room to improve and grow. But is is very playable (I've played about 180 hours I think) and to me, very fun. It is one of the best games I've seen in years, maybe ever.

Dichebach is my Steam name. Feel free to friend me, tell me you read this wall of text above (or at least the six 'expectations') and I'll send you the password to login and start playing.

Blackbox is supposed to get an incremental auto-db backup system in place today, but until I see it is reliable I'll keep making daily (evening) dumps of the db. I reboot it every 4 hours to help it stay stable. There will be lag spikes, there are some bugs, it will crash from time to time, and there may even be more corrupted server databases requiring that we rollback and lose a few hours of play. So in sum, expect "alpha" game play, but totally playable and fun. At worst, if we suffer some sort of catastrophic corruption, we can start from scratch but I can reset the the skill modifier so that we all regain our skills rapidly.

DichBach

Re: [ENG] "Anvil Bay" 24/7 Blackbox server

Post by DichBach » 20 Oct 2014, 13:53

Bump to highlight ADDITS in first post. Server has been renamed, and "house rules" (conditions to receive player password) edited slightly.

As of 20 Oct 2014, the Anvil Bay server has two groups living in two settlements:

Anvil Bay in the north with 5 members (my group)
Krohzs Wood in the south with 4 members.

Would love for another settlement to form and from there for each group to grow their memberships up to 14 to 16 members.

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 23 Oct 2014, 20:32

As of Oct 23, 2014, the Anvil Bay server has at least three groups.

1. Anvil Bay, my group with 6 to 8 members depending on participation.

2. Krohzs Wood, a group with a settlment in the south with about 6 or 7 members

3. A group from a server I used to play on, that I call "The Moose Clan" ( :D they lived near that old Moose spawn site south of the lake on the old server we were on), 4 to 6 guys depending on participation. No idea where they are, they're going 'stealth mode :D

So, things are developing nicely. Getting used to the 1x skill point progression is of course quite an adjustment from the 10x that many servers run on. But it ultimately 'feels' more fun. When everyone is a super man within just a few days, it makes being a super man not so special.

Quissah

Post by Quissah » 25 Oct 2014, 16:24

This server is quite good. Hopefully more people will become interested.

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 09 Nov 2014, 06:51

The Anvil Bay server is alive and well. One community, "Shadow Vale" decided that 1x was too slow and threw in the towel. They might eventually decide the fast servers are less fun and come back, but by then their prime settlement location may well be taken.

The other two communities (Anvil Bay and Krohzs Wood) have grown a lot. Activity has flagged a bit for the Krohzs Wood guys but I'm confident that at least a few of them will stay active. They already have stone walls around most of their town with three gatehouses, a blacksmith shop, kitchen and a few small houses and huts. They seem to have plenty of ore and are located right in the middle of three major clay deposits on the far south shore so . . . again, if they throw in the towel: prime location for squatters :D

My own community Anvil Bay has seen about half its members go on to the "inactive" list. But we still have four guys who are extremely active. We have a large raised platform completed for the town and a wall is well underway.

At this point, everyone who is active on the server has a house that will lock. We are debating removing the password and opening up access to the server, though the house rules will not really change much. There is no rule against theft or violence, but griefing or exploits will lead to bans.

So in sum, an active server with a couple of well-established towns, and the basic foundations for at third one already built. Plenty of room, and we will help anyone who wants to get going by lending necessary stuff and putting off violence. To be honest, until there is a clan membership and warfare system in the game, violence just strikes me as stupidity for anyone who plans to keep playing the game for very long. We do a lot of sparring and we cooperate with the other active community, but no random ganks nor thefts. We'd welcome anyone else who would enjoy playing in this kind of server and with the expectation that eventually, we hope to develop some sort of "Red vs Blue" consensual warfare to explore the combat, sieging and group tactics parts of the game.

Toralar

Post by Toralar » 15 Nov 2014, 23:35

Would like to add that this server is great, and we aren't inactive, just busy! the Wood has actually recently recruited a new member, so we're still around!

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 18 Nov 2014, 05:31

We've had several new members join the server who were "refugees" from other servers that went kaput in the wake of the most recent update. Active participants on the server would seem to be up in the 10 to 12 ballpark, and divided into three groups.

Few quick points:

1. Griefing is not tolerated so it is a mellow place to play. PVP is fine but best if done consensually at this point. We hope to have a sort of "Red vs. Blue" thing going later when there are several well-established towns.

2. No GM Abuse. I use GM powers to fix stuff that is broken, and do stuff that the game does not yet allow but will / should (e.g., deleting fireplaces, spawning in some wool at the price of deleting some flax, etc.)

3. Server will be around for another 11 months or so. I already paid for one year, so short of me kicking the bucket (in which case hopefully my wife would have the sense to pass along the stewardship of the server to Windwalker or one of the other regulars :D ) the server will be up and running 24/7 for the next 11 months.

4. Main focus is building, PVE and friendly relations.

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 20 Nov 2014, 18:14

The Anvil Bay server is now pretty well along. The Anvil Bay community and adjoining "Windwalker Estates" are pretty close to fully walled, and built up. There is still plenty of room for more shops and houses and eventually we intend to build a central keep but otherwise I'd say our town is "done."

Given we are now to a "mid-game" point we are starting to feel the effects of some of the as yet unimplemented game items, which are available in GM mode, but not available otherwise. There are quite a few but the most notable include:

Chicken (rarely spawned from slaughtering chickens)
Tusk (needed to make dull bolts)
Wool (needed to make various clothing and some armor)
Dung (produced in miniscule quantities by the small animals, and needed to run a efficient farming operation)
Flour (needed to make one of the 4 ingredient fish dishes, as well as many others)
Honey (also needed for various dishes, but beehives do not yet provide it)
Intestines (also needed for some recipes, presumably come from cows, not yet in game)
Mutton
Beef
Pork
etc., etc.

We have decided that--for the time being, and to make the game more fun--we will incorporate an "exchange" system that allows some of these 'inaccessible' resources to be 'purchased' from the GM who will spawn them in at set rates per exchange and then delete the items being provided to "pay for" the desired item(s).

All items "bought" from the GM will be 50 quality at this point.

Item(s) to be given (unless otherwise noted) to GM (and deleted) --> pays for --> Items to be spawned in by GM (and given to player)

Note: in some cases, players must "own" an item such as a jug, barn, or win press. In these cases, the player must simply show that they have access to such an item, and these tools/structures/objects will not be deleted by the GM. It is simply a matter of the player demonstrating that they would have the capacity to produce the item.

Items that will be given to the GM to be deleted are in red. Items that must be owned but are not deleted are in green.

Also note: in all cases, players MUST have the requisite skills to perform the work that would be needed to produce or harvest the items being "bought" from the GM.

1. 1 Chicken + own a coop --> 1 chicken meat, 10 feathers, 10 bones

OR

10 feathers (shown to GM to prove the chicken has been slaughtered, player keeps the feathers) + own a coop --> 1 chicken meat

Animal Lore at least 30

2. 2 flax fibers + 5 foods (apples, carrots, whatever) + own a barn --> 1 wool pack

Animal Lore at least 60

3. 3 moose heads + 450 game meat + 100 foods + own a barn --> 50 Dung

IN ADDITION

Above plus, own at least 1 jug --> 5 milk up to a maximum of 6 jugs for 30 milk per above exchange

Animal Lore at least 60

4. 1 wheat + own quern stone --> 2 Flour

OR

1 wheat + own wind mill --> 5 flour

Farming at least 60

5. 1 berry + 5 apples + own beehive --> 1 Honey

Farming at least 60

6. 150 game meat + 50 foods + 1 animal trap (sacrificed) + own barn --> 20 Intestines & 100 beef

Animal Lore at least 60

7. 100 game meat + 50 foods + 1 animal trap (sacrificed) + own barn --> 10 Intestines & 50 pork & 2 tusks

Animal Lore at least 60

8. 100 game meat + 50 foods + 1 animal trap (sacrificed) + own barn --> 10 Intestines & 50 mutton

Animal Lore at least 60

9. 5 Grapes + own wine press--> 1 Wine

Cooking at least 60

Toralar

Post by Toralar » 28 Nov 2014, 03:23

By the way, if anyone wants to join Crow's Wood, just let me know. We have housing available for people and a good infrastructure set up. All we need is some more people to help us out down here.

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 01 Dec 2014, 16:09

Hey Astro,

Sent you a Steam request. My Steam name is Diche_Bach

Toralar

Post by Toralar » 24 Dec 2014, 23:24

Seems like there's been a bit of an increase in server pop. More people are always welcome though :)

Jarlemis

Post by Jarlemis » 29 Dec 2014, 04:54

This server sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

I searched for Diche_Bach on Steam but did not find any results.

Wolfhelm

Post by Wolfhelm » 31 Dec 2014, 01:49

whats the server name ig?

This is our land! post17956/#p17956

Toralar

Post by Toralar » 01 Jan 2015, 03:39

You can add me, Toralar, and the server name is Anvil Bay.

Kaswynmactuile

Post by Kaswynmactuile » 03 Jan 2015, 21:28

I am very interested and have sent you a steam invite. I agree with all the rules, love the mmo settings, plan to play often and hope to raise a group/tribe of my own. Im 27 yrs old love mmorpgs and survival/sandboxes. I would be honored to be allowed on your server :D

Toralar

Post by Toralar » 09 Jan 2015, 19:18

Awesome :) Stuff is a little slow atm due to holidays but we are still on there! Glad to have you

DichBach

Post by DichBach » 01 Apr 2015, 02:54

Hey folks!

Been several months but I am finally settled in with a new gaming rig and have LIFYO installed.

Some weeks ago, a player who was still using the server was given admin status and I hope that that was sufficient to keep those of you who were still going strong going for a few more weeks or nights of fun. I know that, when you are deep into a game, just getting those next few 'hits' can be very meaningful.

Sadly, I've been getting strange emails from Blackbox for about a week now which I was really in no position to address, but have done so tonight. It appears that, as a result of some past patches/updates the server had become unuseable, and I took the hard decision to wipe it and clear the logs.

A lot of us put a lot of hours into building stuff on that server so that was not an action I took lightly, but sadly I believe it was essential to going forward. I always expected it would work out this way, and I'm guessing it is the same for all servers, not just private ones but official ones too. It is the price we pay to be involved in an alpha game.

Myself, I've 'decompressed' from having played the game for so long, logging in to see an empty map is not going to bug me that much. It has been months since I logged in at all! So to me, all that stuff was "gone" long ago. But I know it won't be so easy for some of you, and I apologize for the difficulty you may face. I don't think I had any other choice though, so please try to be understanding in that regard.

The server should now be up-to-date, and back up and running, visible on the main list. I just might start to get active again (though I doubt it will be as active as last Aug-Oct) and might text a few buddies to see if we can get something going on the server again.

It seems a lot of updates for the game have occurred in the last few months, so along with 'loosening up' those rusty gameplay skills that are still valid, we will all I guess be learning a lot of the new game too.

It is perhaps a bit early to be looking into "the final stretch" before the basic design of LIFYO gets morphed into the MMO game and then the MMO game goes live. But a server intended to facilitate 'training and experimentation' with diving into the MMO at first chance and thus gaining a 'pioneers' advantage was always my vision for what this server was supposed to be about.

I'm in the midst of starting up an 18-credit hour semester in the next few weeks, and keeping up with some ongoing multi-year PBEMs (War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition) will always take precedence over other gaming. However, I feel like I've already 'been there done that" in LIFYO so . . . I'm not the best candidate for "devoted player and server admin."

However, I would like to do what I can to make this server fun for whoever wants to use it. There is at least one fellow who (at last communique) was still deeply engrossed in the game, and with the wipe he may be keen to serve as admin again. In a pinch, and with enough interest, I just might, be compelled to once again act as a regular administrator, cop, counselor, help desk.

Who knows, maybe we might get what I was hoping for all along: a group of friends who are still keen on Life is Feudal at the time the MMO is released and who are a well-oiled highly solidary and effective team.

Toralar

Post by Toralar » 07 May 2015, 09:13

Finally back from my training deployment and ready to jump back in!

Odino1979
Alpha Tester

Post by Odino1979 » 25 Jun 2015, 19:26

Ciao sei ancora attivo?

Return to RP Servers