Skill progression

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

trashman
Alpha Tester

Skill progression

Post by trashman » 12 Sep 2013, 19:51

I have found something for the first time in LiF that I don't like or agree that it is accurate as far as being realistic. The skill progression for the most part doesn't make any sense. I can understand having a progression for the 3 crafting tiers because they make sense to learn smelting before forging, or carpentry before bowcraft, or herbalism before healing, bu I see no reason why I should learn wood cutting to be able to make bows. The first two tiers should be separate almost like the secondary skills.

As far as the household skills go, there should be no progression at all. My ability to farm makes me no better at sewing or working with animal hides.

This also limits those who like to mine, but find smithing to be dull. Or those who want to walk through the woods and pick mushrooms, but have no interest in alchemy. This also reduces the amount of trade that can take place. If this system is implemented then all smiths will never buy ore/ingots ect. There will be very little trade between raw material.

finalreview
Alpha Tester

Re: Skill progression

Post by finalreview » 13 Sep 2013, 00:13

Mind posting a link for reference?

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 13 Sep 2013, 05:32

We will see how things will work out with that system. In casual games you can always level both your gathering and appropriate refine/craft skills and that does not cease trading in any way. And is some other games in LiF crafting of one branch depends on refine/craft results of another branch, so again, i don't see problem here.
As about realism and skill progression, my general gamedesign direction is following:
balance and gameplay model > realism.
I completely agree with you, that in no way it is reall and necessary in real life to learn cutting trees before you can start making carpentry objects or bowcraft, but according to our skillcap system and general progression of tiers in skills - that is neccessary, so we do that.
Anyway - trust me, there were alot of discussions on such topics, and i'll say it again - real alpha/beta tests will show how that system will work.

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 27 Oct 2013, 17:34

Sorry, I edited.

I did not realize that the skill points are separated between craft and combat

Kdchan
Beta Tester

Post by Kdchan » 29 Oct 2013, 13:58

Hi, i'm here after watching your last promotional video that i find amazing (as game features). I'm an old Darkfall player, DF was a great game for the 2009-2010 years, but after that become stagnant and and redundant, become a meaningless pvp arena where battlemages was the only way to win.

This is the reason i write in this topic, please, limit the life/crafting/wahetever professions/schools thanks to an intuitive hardcap (a la Mortal Online), limit how much you can do and learn, or everyone will be crafter/battlemage/ warrior/bower master factotum again ruining not only the whole game economy but the whole longevity cause the difference between new and veteran players.

I want to see in a sandobx game, a true sandobx one, diversity and a lot of things to do, like the old UO era if you know what i mean.
There is really need for games like this, in this era where only stupid and brainless themepark dominate.

I hope for you guys to deliver and do your best to make a great sandbox game, a true risk vs reward game, a true life and fun game.
Played:
Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Ultima Online
EvE
LiF: YO

SaresITA89
Alpha Tester

Post by SaresITA89 » 29 Oct 2013, 14:20

Kdchan wrote:Hi, i'm here after watching your last promotional video that i find amazing (as game features). I'm an old Darkfall player, DF was a great game for the 2009-2010 years, but after that become stagnant and and redundant, become a meaningless pvp arena where battlemages was the only way to win.

This is the reason i write in this topic, please, limit the life/crafting/wahetever professions/schools thanks to an intuitive hardcap (a la Mortal Online), limit how much you can do and learn, or everyone will be crafter/battlemage/ warrior/bower master factotum again ruining not only the whole game economy but the whole longevity cause the difference between new and veteran players.

I want to see in a sandobx game, a true sandobx one, diversity and a lot of things to do, like the old UO era if you know what i mean.
There is really need for games like this, in this era where only stupid and brainless themepark dominate.

I hope for you guys to deliver and do your best to make a great sandbox game, a true risk vs reward game, a true life and fun game.

there is a skillcap as/like mortal ;)

You have a maximum of 600 skill points to spend on craft and 600 in combat

Combat and Crafting skills each have a separate skill cap of 600 points, except minor skills, which have no skill cap. Raising a skill will also increase the associated primary and secondary stats.

http://lifeisfeudal.com/mmorpgsandLiF/S ... -is-Feudal

Kdchan
Beta Tester

Post by Kdchan » 29 Oct 2013, 15:08

SaresITA89 wrote:there is a skillcap as/like mortal ;)

You have a maximum of 600 skill points to spend on craft and 600 in combat...

I miss it while reading the faqs, thanks a lot, this is something really good. :)
Played:
Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Ultima Online
EvE
LiF: YO

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Post by Kuroi » 29 Oct 2013, 15:45

Kdchan wrote:
SaresITA89 wrote:there is a skillcap as/like mortal ;)

You have a maximum of 600 skill points to spend on craft and 600 in combat...

I miss it while reading the faqs, thanks a lot, this is something really good. :)

welcome :) i was a DF player as well, too bad DF went that way, sigh

ImmortalArcher

Post by ImmortalArcher » 28 Nov 2013, 20:55

What exactly is the point of having a skill cap? Honestly i like the way skills are done in Wurm Online. I really didnt like the skill caps in mortal online because it limits what i can do. Why should i need 10 characters just to do what is available in the game?

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 28 Nov 2013, 22:16

Why of course there is always somebody who don't read anything on forums.

It was said multiple times on forums I believe and in Bobik's stream that can be watched on youtube and twitch, that skillcap is preventing players from being overpowered, but you can ALWAYS respec your character at any moment you want.

You can lower other skill level and raise skills you desire, you dont need more characters.

Kuroi
Alpha Tester

Post by Kuroi » 29 Nov 2013, 01:35

ImmortalArcher wrote:What exactly is the point of having a skill cap? Honestly i like the way skills are done in Wurm Online. I really didnt like the skill caps in mortal online because it limits what i can do. Why should i need 10 characters just to do what is available in the game?

ROLES, you know them?

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 29 Nov 2013, 10:12

Jack of all trades is master of none.
You don't realy get the meaning of skils, their values and roles in the world.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Return to General Discussion