Medieval Christmas, what about presents?

Why this game is better than any other.
Arrakis

Medieval Christmas, what about presents?

Post by Arrakis » 19 Dec 2013, 17:31

Hey guys!

I was just wondering.. If you were a people of early medieval age, what would you like to receive for christmas?

Would it be a sword? a bow? maybe a horse? Or would just presence of your king be enough to cheer you up?

Share your thoughts, imagine yourselves as people of medieval age at christmas time :)

Demonic

Re: Medieval Christmas, what about presents?

Post by Demonic » 19 Dec 2013, 18:27

That's simple. Medieval times were dangerous times. So my christmas wish? Strong castle with a good revenue from lands and tough souldiers :) Not exactly small gift eh? :)

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 19 Dec 2013, 19:05

Nope, It certainly isn't anything small.. but reasonable enough though... if you were a king or a prince :)

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Post by Telakh » 19 Dec 2013, 21:54

A bottle of a lethal poison can make a future year successful :twisted:
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Virdill
Alpha Tester

Post by Virdill » 19 Dec 2013, 22:04

probably if i was in the middle ages for christmas i would have received a slice of bread,
what sad :cry:
Sorry for my bad English

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 20 Dec 2013, 10:46

Pretty sure Christmas in medieval times wasn't celebrated like it's today. There was church and stuff, and maybe your best pig got slaughtered.

HamsterPants

Post by HamsterPants » 21 Dec 2013, 02:06

Hypothetically if a holiday like modern Christmas was celebrated in a medieval context, then the gift of my dreams would really just be armor. Chain or plate, as long as it's decently crafted then it'd be amazing. Doesn't have to be a full suit either, even a single component would be a huge gift.

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 21 Dec 2013, 08:49

HamsterPants wrote:Hypothetically if a holiday like modern Christmas was celebrated in a medieval context, then the gift of my dreams would really just be armor. Chain or plate, as long as it's decently crafted then it'd be amazing. Doesn't have to be a full suit either, even a single component would be a huge gift.

Considering what I heard, an armor in medieval times would be equivalent to a Porsche today.

I think I would go for a cow :P

HamsterPants

Post by HamsterPants » 21 Dec 2013, 16:38

Siegbert wrote:Considering what I heard, an armor in medieval times would be equivalent to a Porsche today.

You would be correct. Decent armor was one of the most expensive things you could buy.

It took a lot of time and skill to produce.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 26 Dec 2013, 16:15

Since we don't know what will be in the game yet, it's hard to say, but I think the Papal States will hold a public celebration (one of the few times outsiders are allowed into the holy city without due cause) with a grand feast attached.
Whether or not the Papal States is entirely christian as known by modern day beliefs remains to be seen, but having christmas be a 'holy day' seems no more than reasonable ;)

Demonic

Post by Demonic » 26 Dec 2013, 18:30

Dailato wrote:Since we don't know what will be in the game yet, it's hard to say, but I think the Papal States will hold a public celebration (one of the few times outsiders are allowed into the holy city without due cause) with a grand feast attached.
Whether or not the Papal States is entirely christian as known by modern day beliefs remains to be seen, but having christmas be a 'holy day' seems no more than reasonable ;)

We can always celebrate Solstice (If there is one xD )

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 27 Dec 2013, 11:29

Considering many cultures had a high feast at about that time of the year, I think it's safe to celebrate it without a distinctive Christian background.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 27 Dec 2013, 12:59

So from the question what would you like to get if you were living in medieval times this topic is turning into debate about christmas existance itself... :no: Well done.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 27 Dec 2013, 13:42

You're welcome

Return to Off Topic