The one server dream..is it smart to start with it?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Helders
Alpha Tester

The one server dream..is it smart to start with it?

Post by Helders » 02 Jan 2014, 14:47

Hey all,

I think that most people would love to see 'one' LIF world much like EVE is.

To start that up you would need a setup that would allow you to expand dynamically, so that when more people sign up you can add more servers to the cluster.

But even at a minumum you would need servers for terrain, database clusters, load balancers etc..(maybe hundred physical, that can be spilt up in a few hundred virtual instances)

Now we all know that a MMO only gets one chance to do it right.
If the launch fails the game is pretty much lost.

So...

Why not, to begin with, limit servers to a few thousand players and then start up a new 'world'.
(its a classic scenario for a good reason i think..)

When this is succesful the company has 'proven' itself to the MMO world and more importantly you will have a running product that you can show to investors, together with a solid businessplan to get funding.

If you get funding you can expand your team, optimze code etc and then you can rethink your plan to make one world.

Enough rambling from me for now, just needed to get this out of my head. :D

Telakh
Alpha Tester

Re: The one server dream..is it smart to start with it?

Post by Telakh » 02 Jan 2014, 20:55

Damn! You are the man they've been missing! :D No offense, dude.
ImageYou are entering    Time ParadoxImage

Helders
Alpha Tester

Post by Helders » 02 Jan 2014, 21:29

Telakh wrote:Damn! You are the man they've been missing! :D No offense, dude.

Ok point taken..

From now on ill only talk about what kind of badass bandit im gonna RP at release..

Or..that im gonna make a guild called The Swan Knights of the Golden table and ask people to join me..

I was hoping to get beyond that, and have some clever discussion about the one server idea..but it was not ment to be it seems :D

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 02 Jan 2014, 21:32

I understand what you're saying, but you seem to be missing a critical issue, namely how to handle the server mergers once you have multiple shards.

Unlike regular MMO's, people will have claimed land here, non-instanced I might add, what happens if they overlap with that of another world? If servers are all the same, they may have mines in same places, or resources mined out, now who owns it, or are resources gone now or not?

It doesn't seem feasible to do such a thing without restarting everyone on a brand-new "global" server, which couldn't be forced ( that would be PR disaster ), so it would be optional, in which case, it's just another shard really.

That is problem with multiple vs. single shard in sandbox MMO, you have to stick with whichever you choose from the start.

Yours truly -The Pope

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 02 Jan 2014, 21:34

I'll add shortly, that from what I remember developers are planning to just create bigger map or extend the one there will be present when it will get overpopulated, becasue in their mind they have an idea to just keep people tightened at the beginning.

So there will be either bigger map or multiple servers.

Helders
Alpha Tester

Post by Helders » 02 Jan 2014, 22:07

A server merge would be impossible i agree, and what i didnt know was that the devs said they would add land to the map to expand the world.

Thank you both for your comments, there will still be plenty of challenges for a single world, but for now lets give them time to get anywhere near a Alpha phase first.. :D

Torneach

Post by Torneach » 03 Jan 2014, 18:16

The map is supposed to be pretty darn big, about 21km by 21km. As a real world comparison, that's slightly smaller than the northwestern corner of Brittany, with Brest as its southeastern corner.

Even with the depleteable resources, it's still a very large landmass. And that's only the surface. There could be miles upon miles of tunnels underground.

It looks to be big enough to handle a decently sized population, with enough time for the developers to get a new landmass for further expansion.

Berserk89
Alpha Tester

Post by Berserk89 » 06 Jan 2014, 11:05

21km i hope this will be only alpha?
victor sterkr

Demonic

Post by Demonic » 06 Jan 2014, 11:41

Berserk89 wrote:21km i hope this will be only alpha?

Do you realize that this is 441 Square Km?? Considering the fact that players will group up, I think this is enough :)

Kalmorte
True Believer

Post by Kalmorte » 12 Jan 2014, 03:21

21x21 is sufficient to start. I personally like the idea of one server, the only issue is where that server is located. If a majority of your players come from one region of the world, but the server is continents away, you certainly will have ping issues. Perhaps a regional setup would work, but with games like this you never know if you will have the prolonged population to support multiple servers. I think the prudent thing to do would be to have a single server and add additional islands as needed.

Return to General Discussion