Some Concerns

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Hector

Some Concerns

Post by Hector » 26 Jan 2014, 23:32

8-) Hello,

I am Hector the magnificent!

First of all let me begin by saying WOW this game looks amazing and I can't wait to try it! It shows that you guys have put a lot of work into this.

I am posting today because I am very interested in your game and would like to begin contributing to you financially to help move development along. I understand time is money so if you take the time to answer my questions I will donate 20$ guaranteed because it is such a long list. I will most likely make future contributions If I am interested.

However, before I open the wallet and pour out some cash. I wanted to see If you would answer some questions I had after watching a lets play. Some of these questions may seem harsh but If I am going to dump a decent amount of money I want to be sure it is a game that I would actually play. I understand that many features will not be available upon release but later on this is very important to me.

1.) Do you plan to improve on the look of constructing things like chairs? It kind of looks bad when there is just a sign in front of you with an x. I think it would be much more appealing if there was an unfinished product on the ground that you could add to.

2.) Do you plan to expand the world and add more continents when more players join? I know that Many players stop playing a game because the world is too small. The world loses its beauty and magnificence when you see buildings everywhere and you can't find a place to call your own because everyone already owns the land. Open space with forests is important as well.

3.) Many sandboxes are played short term because what's the point after you have built your home, a mine and done a bit of PvP? Once you do everything a game has to offer, its only fun doing it so many times. So what will be added for the entertainment value, like future plans? If there are no plans to add past what the demos show thus far, I doubt this MMO will last long.

4.) Is fantasy out of the question completely? Or are small bits a possibility in the future? The reason I ask is that without a bit of a story or some special element to a game, it ends up as "Woo I built a house, Woo I made a mine, Yay I killed that guy! ....Now what?

5.) Since you have stated in the FAQ that teleporting is out, will you possibly add a mailbox system like Wurm so people don't have to go massive distances to trade 1 item or so, send letters to those offline or send coins?

6.) How much will player requests influence the development of the game itself? Say if we want better leveling systems, (the level 1-90 in two weeks is a huge red flag) will you implement a solution or are you set in the way you made the game? (I don't mean to sound rude but far too many good games are going downhill because developers like their way and don't want to change it regardless of player feedback.)

7.) Like all developers and companies, You need money. It's needed for everything from running servers, making upgrades and hiring/keeping staff. How do you plan to keep the game primarily going? Monthly membership and monthly payments to own land?

8.) You stated that the larger organizations like guilds will be able to encroach on deeded land, now I know the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few in some situations but say for example I start playing the game when it first comes out and make a home, then a month to a year later a guild comes and encroaches on my land, I know I would stop paying for and playing this game, I think many others will as well if this is the case. Would you consider a peaceful server where territory must be bought form the owner willingly or taken after taxes are not paid on the land? This is probably my most important question because without a fantasy storyline, awesome NPCs to slay and many other factors MMOs have, you are basically offering a spot for me to play on, without that there is nothing. Since you can not teleport, travel will be very, very risky so in the end I don't think many people will go far from home.

9.) Will you be adding cosmetic items such as lamps and such to make our homes feel unique? From every screenshot I see in the game, all the towns look the same or similar so I feel this will be necessary.

10.) During the holidays do you plan to give away items like the other MMOs. Like santa hats during x-mas and such?

11.) Will dehydration be a factor with hunger? If you are going for the purpose of realism, It is crucial for that type of game and is neglected in so many others.

12.) How fast will animals and trees age? Too fast and If you don't log in for a couple days everything on a farm will be dead, too long and over population will occur.

13.) Games with a mining system like this tend to run out of good areas and players quickly because all the ore is gone. Do you have a system to replenish mines, such as collapsing all tunnels monthly or bimonthly? Perhaps not collapsing reinforced tunnels but all non reinforced tunnels will collapse and the possibility resetting for ore veins?

14.) So, land ownership, Single player deeds the land or does it have to have multiple people working on a single town. Many people working in a town kills resources fast but single ownership makes a heck of a lot of houses all over the place. How do you plan to balance this? Will it be a system like Wurm where people buy $ from your website, use the coins to pay taxes? If so how much will the taxes cost per month? And how will a group of players in a settlement all pay towards the taxes for their part in a town?

15.) Will there be seasons and a day/night cycle, if so how long will rotations be?

16.) Last question I promise. When boats come out, will they work like they do in Wurm?

Please no non descriptive yes or no answers. I know I kept referencing Wurm but only because the two games look so similar and Wurm has a very good game, just lacking in some of the things I asked about.

Thank you for your time. 20$ will be sent to the designated paypal when answered by the admin. Have a nice day.

P0stpwned

Re: Some Concerns

Post by P0stpwned » 27 Jan 2014, 00:17

Gotta say dude, I should get more than $20 just for reading all that.

But I think you're missing a big draw of this game, judging by question #3: the end-game will probably be massive realm vs. realm wars and geopolitics, which sounds like a lot of fun to me. I don't need the devs building in some kind of theme park entertainment or free-item events to keep us busy.

Dailato
Alpha Tester

Post by Dailato » 27 Jan 2014, 00:19

okay first off, just to put it out there, the forum has a search function.

We also have a FAQ *specifically* for people to ask questions Here

I'll give you a brief answer based on information available though:

1:All animations are being improved over time, but that in particular is not currently a priority that I'm aware of.

2: Yes, the world will be expanded (the continent will grow larger) if enough players are on it to warrant expanding. Extra continents may be an option, but since there is currently no boats in the game (nor planned for release or even the near future) this is not something you should expect soon.

3: There have been some PvE ideas floating around, but they won't be in for release. One major diversifier is "events" that can happen, like floods and earthquakes, volcanic eruptions maybe? That players have to react to to protect their stuff/take advantage of.
I'm a little worried about this myself, but the Devs have a few more things in mind I'm sure.

4: Well we have the "faith" system where there's *some* sorta-kinda magic going on. And alchemy potions with sorta-kinda magical effects. Other than that though no, no magic, no elves or orcs, no enchanted weapons/meadows that I'm aware of.

5: There will be global-auction house Ala EvE online, as in you can buy/sell globally, but goods have to be transported manually to/from location. Don't know about Mail, actually.

6: The devs listen to feedback so far, but the game isn't even in alpha yet, so let's see what they come up with first.
I'm also weary about devs with a "vision" game such as this listening to feedback too much. Alot of the time people just don't like the vision and decide the game should change, rather than realizing it's not the game for them. Just putting that out there.

7: There will be a one-time fee (ala guildwars) to get off of "beginner island" which is basically an online demo of the game. Other than that there will be a "cosmetics only" item shop with items that have stats the exact same as other in-game items, but different looks.

8: At the moment there is actually a kinda-sorta teleport, if you've played WoW, like, a hearthstone, which is within the "faith" system. But yes, guild-claims can encroach on your personal-claimed land.
For this to happen though they must build a building costing considerable resources, and costing money to maintain.
Unless you really really pissed them off somehow, or are sitting on a pile of precious resources with your personal claim, it will not be worth the cost to remove you.
It's more meant to stop solo-players from hogging "good" spots that really should be fought over by guilds, than to be a tool for harassing solo-players.

9: yep, there will be cosmetic items, though, once more, not currently a priority in development.

10: not a clue, but considering it's an MMO, it wouldnt surprise me if there was some sort of xmas event.

11: There is currently no additional "thirst" bar. Only a hunger bar, which is tied in heavily with the cooking system.

12: Trees can be replanted after they are cut down, and will not respawn by themselves. Animal population is based on the amount of players in the area, with more animals in less densely populated areas. I am not aware of any natural "decay" on animals, unless you don't feed them, but how often this is required is unknown.

13: There have been discussions on this a ton, the basic answer is: You won't run out of ore, there is a metric crapton of it. I agree that "sweet" spots with ore near the surface may run out fast, but the resource in and of itself won't run out any time soon.
There is also a mechanism for tunnels collapsing, but it isn't currently planned to have them then re-fill with ore, I believe.

14: There are 2 kinds of claims: Personal claims, and Guild Claims. Personal claims just require 1 person and can be encroached upon by guild claims.
As for houses and such: Bigger houses will have multiple "bind-points" for people to use, so guilds will have the option to make bigger, more space-efficient houses for the purpose of binding. There will be upkeep requirements for claims (less for personal, more for guild) and all objects on or off claim will decay (much more slowly on claim) and need upkeep.
The exact functioning and amount of taxes is currently unknown.

15: IIRC there will be day/night cycles, but I think seasons are not a thing (maybe later, but once more, not a priority for the devs)

16: I don't know how boats in Wurm work, but boats are not in for release and may well take a while.

If any of the answers were unsatisfactory or raise new questions, please refer to the FAQ linked above and post your questions there :)

Yours truly -The Pope

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Post by Siegbert » 27 Jan 2014, 10:43

Hector wrote:4.) Is fantasy out of the question completely? Or are small bits a possibility in the future? The reason I ask is that without a bit of a story or some special element to a game, it ends up as "Woo I built a house, Woo I made a mine, Yay I killed that guy! ....Now what?

I fail to see how fantastical elements would solve the problem of you getting bored...

It's supposed to be a realistic pvp game with player alliances and wars. What are zombie mobs and dragons supposed to add to it? They're a distraction at best...

The best thing that will happen is to build up an empire and wage war against another. This will be intriguing as hell since it deals with real player politics.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 27 Jan 2014, 10:54

:good:

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 27 Jan 2014, 12:44

Hector wrote:11.) Will dehydration be a factor with hunger? If you are going for the purpose of realism, It is crucial for that type of game and is neglected in so many others.

As stated there isnt a thirst-meter. Alas, there are two bars for fatigue, which I find more intricate than a simple stamina-bar you refill by drinking.

Arthua

Post by Arthua » 28 Jan 2014, 00:42

Fantasy? Santa-Hats?

I despise those ideas.

Group conflict, in-game relationships, gaining skills, building grandiose homes, and survival = copious amounts of fun.

Wars and pure survival alone are extremely intriguing and add replay value.

Return to General Discussion