Closed Beta First Impressions

A place for alpha & beta testers to show off their screenshots, videos and streams from the Closed Beta

Cian
Alpha Tester

Closed Beta First Impressions

Post by Cian » 13 Jun 2016, 03:52

Hey all,
Figured I'd share my first impressions with those who don't have access to the beta. I'm sharing this with the following caveats:

* Havn't played LIFYO in 6-8 months

First Impressions:

Visuals: It could be my imagination but visuals seem much improved since the last time I set foot in LIFYO. Render distances are excellent. Weather effects look much better than Wurm or any other game of this type. Fogginess and haze are spot on. Not too severe but just enough to give atmosphere. All and all the game looks beautiful.

Sounds: Game music is excellent and very much in tune with the intended time period. Ambient sounds are nice as well. I quite enjoy the sounds of the environment, the music, and the sounds of combat. It's as realistic as I would expect from any game developer.

Initial experience: Newbie village seems well designed and centralized to set out in whatever direction you choose. Skill changes and limits immediately set this game apart from other sandbox games. Teamwork is required. The only way to ensure you have access to the highest level stuff is to have village members specialize in specific crafting or fighting roles. I like this feature and I think that team oriented villages will be more successful than barbarian tribes of people who just do whatever. I spend about a day and a half real time exploring before setting down my initial settlement location. Exploring is time consuming but the environment does make take some of the sting out of running long distances.

Gathering resources and setting up our first settlement is much as expected by anyone who has played LIFYO. I think the biggest difference is the skill cap and system that forces you to be very careful what skills you pick in the beginning.

Server performance: Very good for beta. Obviously servers go up and down sometimes as a normal event in beta tests. For a closed beta and being a US TZ player I noticed very little lag and had no problem fighting animals. I have no tried fighting any players yet. I imagine server performance will take a hit in later beta stages but for now it's very stable even with the occasional server losses.

I'll post more in the future.

The main point that I all the future beta players and release players to know is that despite the hiccups in the development process over the years it's a very solid game. As with any beta there are some bugs and we are all working hard to report them to Bobik's team.

I'll be one of the first to admit that I was not enthused about the idea of LIFYO. However, I will freely admit that I was wrong and that the work put into LIFYO has shown great benefits to the initial stages of the beta.

If any non-beta players have any questions I'll answer them as best I can but I'll try to focus on any differences I see between LIFYO and the current beta test.

Cheers,
Cian
Lord Cian Khan
Baron of Deephold,
Gul Khan of House of Khans
Great Khan of the Tribal lands

HOUSE OF KHANS
http://www.houseofkhans.com

HOK DISCORD
https://discord.gg/NRB3DR3

Return to Beta Leaks