Tree Growth in beta

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Onyx

Re: Tree Growth in beta

Post by Onyx » 05 Nov 2016, 18:42

This seems silly.

We just went to a new server cause the old one got shut down, and now we have to wait 19 in game days.... for trees? I guess i'll start playing xbox games while waiting on the trees. :(

Seems like a wierd decision

XeenMcKenna

Post by XeenMcKenna » 07 Nov 2016, 05:43

I think the decision makes sense... and is a very good idea for the life of the game.

We are talking about the MMO here, on a persistant server... If everyone has everything they need built in a week or two then whats the point? The game will get boring real quick. We need to be still working on our skills and our cities 6 months out to keep the interest in the game.

As for YO, servers are run by players... there are database changes and mods to solve that. So use as you wish.

Saar
Zealous Believer

Post by Saar » 07 Nov 2016, 09:24

In my opinion, more important than tree growth duration is about having no natural tree quality >50 (arbitrary number).

Because if it exist only one Q100 tree, these spalings will probably break all the game mechanisc.
All guild with trade this sapling on the first month and then all forest will growth in Q100 and then, for all the year after it will have "no improvement work" for woodcutters.

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 07 Nov 2016, 13:19

XeenMcKenna wrote:We are talking about the MMO here, on a persistant server... If everyone has everything they need built in a week or two then whats the point?

With the tree growth now, you will see Stonewalls within a week instead of pallisade walls. Whats the point in being forced to wait 2-3 weeks to build up your wood projects, unable to build anything?
Pallisade walls are designt as a cheap and easy low defence building.
What are you doing while you wait for your trees to grow? RPing and getting raped by pvp Player shadowelitekiller?

XeenMcKenna wrote: The game will get boring real quick. We need to be still working on our skills and our cities 6 months out to keep the interest in the game.

MMO makes it possible to play in really big groups, clans with 200+ members already waiting. Cities will be build up even faster than in YO. The only thing you can do against this is increasing the time to farm resources by like 100times. Is it realy fun to spent 15 minutes to get 300 Stone? Spending 3 hours to build up a single wall unit?

XeenMcKenna wrote:As for YO, servers are run by players... there are database changes and mods to solve that. So use as you wish.

If someone from the dev Team had thought about the tree growth changes for a single second, they would have implented a variable in the server.xml. Tree growth now makes no sens in YO and without some coding knowledge you are not able to change this. For most gamehoster, you cant even touch the gamefiles which you have to edit.
Devs simple fucked up here, they changed the whole game mechanic and didnt think about it for a second. Nothing good for all the changes that will come with the ongoing developement of mmo.

XeenMcKenna

Post by XeenMcKenna » 08 Nov 2016, 01:09

Gruber wrote:
XeenMcKenna wrote:We are talking about the MMO here, on a persistant server... If everyone has everything they need built in a week or two then whats the point?

With the tree growth now, you will see Stonewalls within a week instead of pallisade walls. Whats the point in being forced to wait 2-3 weeks to build up your wood projects, unable to build anything?
Pallisade walls are designt as a cheap and easy low defence building.
What are you doing while you wait for your trees to grow? RPing and getting raped by pvp Player shadowelitekiller?

They said they would be looking into the walls as well. Regardless, there are plenty of trees to get things rolling, take a look at the MMO map. Dont see a problem there.

If your going to be a part of an RP group, thats fine and all... but I would suggest that you become a Vassal to one of the larger groups for support.

Gruber wrote:
XeenMcKenna wrote: The game will get boring real quick. We need to be still working on our skills and our cities 6 months out to keep the interest in the game.

MMO makes it possible to play in really big groups, clans with 200+ members already waiting. Cities will be build up even faster than in YO. The only thing you can do against this is increasing the time to farm resources by like 100times. Is it realy fun to spent 15 minutes to get 300 Stone? Spending 3 hours to build up a single wall unit?

Yes, groups of 200+ are in the works. I know that full well as I am part of one. Cities will not be built up faster than in YO. Skills alone will slow that down. Ever play on a 1x skill server? The last Beta run was set at 10x and from what I was told, they raised skills slower than a 1x YO server.

And yes, taking hours to build stone wall sections should be how it is... for small groups. Palisades will still be faster to build on day 1 of the MMO with the available trees.

Gruber wrote:
XeenMcKenna wrote:As for YO, servers are run by players... there are database changes and mods to solve that. So use as you wish.

If someone from the dev Team had thought about the tree growth changes for a single second, they would have implented a variable in the server.xml. Tree growth now makes no sens in YO and without some coding knowledge you are not able to change this. For most gamehoster, you cant even touch the gamefiles which you have to edit.
Devs simple fucked up here, they changed the whole game mechanic and didnt think about it for a second. Nothing good for all the changes that will come with the ongoing developement of mmo.

If you cannot change the xml files for your server... Find another provider. You are paying for it and there are several providers that have no problem with you modifying the database.

If you have no knowledge about database management, either find someone who does that can help you manage your server or study up to do it. There is a lot of changes you can do to the database that will make for some interesting things on your server.

There is a variable that can be modified to change tree growth... and I am sure there is a mod in the works to do this as well.

The Devs did think about it, and made a good call... It will slow things down, which is what is needed for an MMO. Yo servers last maybe 2 or 3 months tops, then either die off or get reset because everyone is built and ran out of things to do besides kill each other. And as an RPer, I am going out on a limb and guess that is something you avoid.

To each their own, the MMO may not be for everyone. When looking at this game, think of Eve Online over games like WoW. Sandbox style games are meant to be a slow build up not a fast grind Theme Park.

Gruber

Post by Gruber » 08 Nov 2016, 09:11

XeenMcKenna wrote:They said they would be looking into the walls as well. Regardless, there are plenty of trees to get things rolling, take a look at the MMO map. Dont see a problem there.

You are not going to have q90+ Oaks around you. You will face a lot of trees that contain any or only 1-2 logs. You have to chop down 2-3 trees for a single pallisade unit. 200 Trees is nothing and its not a good idea to carry wood half an hour to your base, when there are faster options for a wall.

XeenMcKenna wrote:Yes, groups of 200+ are in the works. I know that full well as I am part of one. Cities will not be built up faster than in YO. Skills alone will slow that down. Ever play on a 1x skill server? The last Beta run was set at 10x and from what I was told, they raised skills slower than a 1x YO server.

Did you played 1x skill ever? It is not that slow. In "Big" groups in YO, there are usually around 10-20 people online at the same time. With 10x the people online, things will be even faster than 10times.

XeenMcKenna wrote:And yes, taking hours to build stone wall sections should be how it is... for small groups. Palisades will still be faster to build on day 1 of the MMO with the available trees.

When building up things takes too long, people will get bored. Maybe you will stay, but MMO will not be that good with 64 Players online.
With a q90 tree script and someone who provides you with alot of q90 oaks you can build up a base and pallisade wall with one tree growth, but thats your easy YO Server expierince. Go start your unmodded server and try to build up a base from scratch with buildings, all professions and a pallisade wall without planting trees.

XeenMcKenna wrote:If you cannot change the xml files for your server... Find another provider. You are paying for it and there are several providers that have no problem with you modifying the database.

If you have no knowledge about database management, either find someone who does that can help you manage your server or study up to do it. There is a lot of changes you can do to the database that will make for some interesting things on your server.

Getting your hands on xml files or database is not that problem. But you cant change tree growth there, unless you want a dirty workaround.

XeenMcKenna wrote:There is a variable that can be modified to change tree growth... and I am sure there is a mod in the works to do this as well.

Why do i need a mod ore recompile game files to change a mandadtory game element? Many people complaining about tree growth in YO, because it do not fit there. Why isn´t there a option in server.xml like skill mult and all that basic stuff? There is only one reason for this, devs didnt think this through. Dont be a fanboy and accept it.

XeenMcKenna wrote:To each their own, the MMO may not be for everyone. When looking at this game, think of Eve Online over games like WoW. Sandbox style games are meant to be a slow build up not a fast grind Theme Park.

Many people dislike the patch, thats a fact. In the end LIF is a game, and most people want fun while playing, not feeling to work 1000h and more. You may enjoy grinding for 100h to build up a single house, but most people dont. Even hardcore asia grinders got quests now...

I dont know how many people got an invite to the last beta we. so i dont know if we have to call the max players online numbers a disaster or not.

XeenMcKenna

Post by XeenMcKenna » 08 Nov 2016, 09:26

Dude, seriously... minimal effort

http://steamcommunity.com/app/290080/di ... 321633855/

Not bothering with the rest...

Tholld

Post by Tholld » 08 Nov 2016, 10:21

Are you all in a hurry?
Why modern games always must provide everything NOW or in a minute? Impatience kills your fun and let you go from one game to another after a few weeks.
I want to play LIF for a long time if it will be the product I hope for.
This tree growth means that I have to plan when to plant new ones like I would have to do in RL. So what?
When server starts you can use the trees already available and should start to plant new ones in time, that's all.

Artemisriv
Zealous Believer

Post by Artemisriv » 08 Nov 2016, 10:50

@Gruber, ive been wathcing your posts and those of XeenmcKenna.. and i truelly must agree with Xeen, the way u like the MMO is the way World of Warcraft went, yes people will get stuff up soon and have time to PVP, but if thats the only thing u are looking for in a MMO, LiF is definately nothing for you.

This is not a No Brainer Hack and Slash game were you gear up to max in a few RL days. No, people will have to work together to achive something. And yes that takes a while. Ever seen a forest grow in a RL day? Dont think so. and neither does that have to be the way in Life is Feudal.

What i always liked in this game is the semi- Realism and feel the game gives you. Growing stuff takes time, take it into account and plan things. Actually achieve stuff together, not login with 200+ people, lvl in 1-2 days and rape everyone else on the server, get bored and leave the MMO.. if thats what u want go play CoD, Fast action, quick lvling etc etc.

19 RL Days for a forest to grow is a bit harsh, but a week should be ok. Makes you think about it and plan ahead. Like in the real old days. Noone build a town from scratch in a week. No they developed over time, and thats exactly what i like in this game.

StuntmanB0b
Beta Tester

Post by StuntmanB0b » 02 Dec 2016, 12:49

Hi what do I have to change to raise up speed of tree growth? I mean at cm_forest_maintenance.xml. I'm no programmer so I don't know what line I have to change. Please help.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 02 Dec 2016, 13:31

StuntmanB0b wrote:Hi what do I have to change to raise up speed of tree growth? I mean at cm_forest_maintenance.xml. I'm no programmer so I don't know what line I have to change. Please help.

There are two ways of speeding up forest growth:

1. by changing TreeAgingSpeed setting in cm_forest_maintenance.xml before server startup (this will be persistent between server restarts)
    2. by changing script variable $ForestMaintenance::treeAgingSpeed via server console (the setting will reset when you restart the server, may be useful for experimentation)

StuntmanB0b
Beta Tester

Post by StuntmanB0b » 05 Dec 2016, 08:57

If I type the following $ForestMaintenance::treeAgingSpeed into console then I get only ...<ConsoleEntry::eval> [55126] syntax error.

I put some numbers at the end like 1, 10, (1). But nothing changes. What do I have to type after that $ForestMaintenance::treeAgingSpeed to alter the treegrowth?

Glodarin
Beta Tester

Post by Glodarin » 05 Dec 2016, 17:38

Just a guess

Code: Select all
$ForestMaintenance::treeAgingSpeed=4

But just because it is persistent I would user the xml file.
Open:
...\Life is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\data\cm_forest_maintenance.xml
Set:
Code: Select all
<TreeAgingSpeed>4</TreeAgingSpeed>

Catherine

Post by Catherine » 19 Dec 2016, 18:12

<TreeAgingSpeed>4</TreeAgingSpeed>

How much RLF Days is that?

And the crops... wich crop grows in what season and how long does it take???
I have plant all the kind of crops there excist in life is feudal.
about 4 RLF days ago... and it stil didnt even growth at all.
Its stil in the stage as you plant it on....

Pls explain me more about these

TheZar

Post by TheZar » 20 Dec 2016, 09:18

Padme wrote:<TreeAgingSpeed>4</TreeAgingSpeed>

How much RLF Days is that?

it changes it so the trees grow 4 times per in game day

Return to General Discussion