Server Setup 2016

Discussions and advertising of dedicated, private servers made by players, for players

Ninja_Dog81

Server Setup 2016

Post by Ninja_Dog81 » 03 May 2016, 12:06

Good afternoon all,

I have been scouting the internet trying to find an up to date and accurate guide to setting up a dedicated server on Windows.

If anyone knows of such a guide could you please direct me to it?

The only guide I have found is from 2014 and there are a number of confusing points, which versions of the database app to use, missing information etc.

Thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated :)

P.S. These confirmation codes are TERRIBLE!

Neroden

Re: Server Setup 2016

Post by Neroden » 11 May 2016, 19:37

Hello,
I setup my first Dedicated Server a few days ago. I found that a lot of the guides were unclear and left out important steps, so I took my own notes - I figured I'd have to setup another server at some point or other.....

Below are the notes I took notes as I went through the config, I hope that they're clear and helpful.

Life is Feudal Dedicated Server Setup 2016

1. On the dedicated server box:
    • Download and Install Steam and Life Is Feudal Dedicated Server
      • Any future reference to “The Steam Folder” refers to the location chosen when steam was installed, the default is “C:\Program Files\Steam”
      • You need to login to steam to download and install the LIF Dedicated server, but will not run the server from Steam once it is downloaded and installed
    • Download and install MariaDB 5.5 (https://mariadb.org/), during the installation ensure you choose the following options from the various install wizard screens:
      • Database Password: <CreateAPassword>
      • Process: MySQL
      • Format: UTF-8
  2. Give the dedicated server box a Static IP Address on your network
  3. In the Steam folder, open “\SteamApps\Common\Life Is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\Docs\config_local.cs” with Notepad and make the following changes:
    • Server: "localhost"
    • Password = "MariadbPasswordFromStep2"
    • Save
    • Copy the edited file to “\SteamApps\Common\Life Is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\”
  4. In the Steam folder, open “\SteamApps\Common\Life Is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\Config\world_1.xml” with Notepad
    • Edit the configuration as you see fit
    • Save
  5. Start MySQL MariaDB 5.5 x64 from Start > MariaDB 5.5 and enter the password set in step 2
  6. Open HeidiSQL, in the connection wizard:
    • Create a new session called “LIF”
    • Password:<DBPasswordFromStep1>
    • Click the “Open” button
    • In the left pane [rclick]LIF > Create New > Database
      • Name: lif_1
      • Collation: utf8_unicode_ci
      • [rclick]LIF > Refresh
  7. In the Steam folder, open “\SteamApps\Common\Life Is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\Docs\my.ini” with Notepad
    • Copy the block of text in this “my.ini” file
    • Go to Start > All Programs > MariaDB> My.ini (MariaDB 5,5 x64)
    • Paste the contents of the copied my.ini text into the MariaDB my.ini file in the [SQLD] section(above the [client] tag)
    • Remove any duplicated lines
    • Save
  8. In the Steam folder, open “\SteamApps\Common\Life Is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\SQL\new.sql” with Notepad
    • Copy all the contents of this document
    • In the HeidiSQL window, click “lif_1” and then the “Query” tab in the top right of the screen
      • Paste the copied text into the query window
      • Click the down arrow next to the “Go Arrow” button and change to “Send Batch In One Go”
      • Click the “Go Arrow” button to run the batch
  9. In your Router configuration, find the Port Forwarding settings and create an forwarding rule to the static IP address set in step 2 for the following ports:
    • 28000-28002 UDP and TCP
  10. Create the following desktop shortcut
    In the Steam folder, find and [rclick] “\SteamApps\Common\Life Is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\ddtcd_cm_yo_server.exe” and click “Send to Desktop”
    • On the desktop [rclick] “ddtcd_cm_yo_server.exe” shortcut and click “Properties”
      • Rename the shortcut as you see fit
      • Change the “Target” to include “-world 1” at the end
      • Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Life is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\ddctd_cm_yo_server.exe" -world 1
  11. Starting the Server
    • Start Life is Feudal Dedicated Server via the desktop shortcut created in step 10
      • The server will attempt to connect to the database and White/Green/Yellow/Red text will fly by in the server window. As long as this window stays open, the setup has been completed successfully
        • Let the server run at least 5-10 minutes the first time before the name shows up on the Steam server list.
      • If you get a bunch of red text and the window immediately closes, something is wrong and settings need to be verified.
        • There is a log file in the “\SteamApps\Common\Life Is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\Logs” folder that may contain some useful information to help troubleshoot
  12. Exiting/Shutting down the server
    • To shutdown the server gracefully, in the server window, type quit();
Last edited by Neroden on 15 Apr 2017, 14:21, edited 3 times in total.

DeathRaye

Post by DeathRaye » 04 Jun 2016, 19:25

I just downloaded the game and am trying to set up a server for our group to play and learn, but the directions here are not what I am seeing when I try to follow. The Directory “\SteamApps\Common\Life Is Feudal Your Own Dedicated Server\" does not exist for me...

Is there a change? Lots of help needed here...

DeathRaye

Cattoaster

Post by Cattoaster » 04 Jun 2016, 19:47

You should download the LiF Dedicated Server under Steam->Lib->Tools, click and install Life is Feudal: Your Own Dedicated Server

Ninja_Dog81

Post by Ninja_Dog81 » 30 Jun 2016, 07:49

Thanks Neroden only saw your reply now. Our server is up and running, but I will go through your notes too to see if there is any additional info. We are having issues with crashes now. Server is seeing 20 to 40 players and the amount of red text we see simply crashes teh server from time to time.

Great game though, we've had some great experiences so far! :)

Southernrocker19

Post by Southernrocker19 » 06 Jul 2016, 14:21

I made my own server but not sure how to get on it.

Shukinen

Post by Shukinen » 09 Sep 2016, 00:29

i created the server, and it seems like it is running, the only thing is that i canot see it in the steam server list, any idea on what might cause this?

Centurion

Post by Centurion » 10 Sep 2016, 09:10

hello ,nice tutorial thanks ,but the only probleme i get it its i m the only one can connect on my server other people get the message "connexion time out "
i use a dedicate serve OVH and i make the rules that you recomand in the tutoriel ...do you have some issue splease ,have nice day

Helios77

Post by Helios77 » 01 Nov 2016, 16:42

IMPORTANT
I've used this tutorial to setup my server BUT the correct collation (for the latest version at least) is utf8_unicode_ci and not utf8_general_ci. The game function normally except that players cannot change heraldries due to this encoding difference.

Please consider updating the post ^^

Iceman77seb
Beta Tester

Post by Iceman77seb » 19 Jan 2017, 20:38

How should I do if I want to run 2 or 3 server at the same time?

Saar
Zealous Believer

Post by Saar » 20 Jan 2017, 09:22

Thanks for that.
I just translated this guide for french community on von Culm

Maverell
Devoted Believer

Post by Maverell » 11 Feb 2017, 11:59

Perfect thanks - worked first time thanks to this guide. :D

DEAD_RABBIT
Zealous Believer

Post by DEAD_RABBIT » 07 Mar 2018, 20:09

I have tried and tried to get this to work by following the steps provided but it always closes right after I open the server. I dont understand what Im doing wrong.

Aban0

Post by Aban0 » 29 Mar 2018, 18:46

TheMrSaxon wrote:I have tried and tried to get this to work by following the steps provided but it always closes right after I open the server. I dont understand what Im doing wrong.

Is there a EULA file? I've never tried making a LIF:YO server before but I have experience with servers in general so I dont know. If there is a EULA file then make sure you change the setting in it to 'true'.

Hope this helped :)

Return to Private Servers