Ships?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Strategos

Ships?

Post by Strategos » 03 Jun 2014, 22:52

Quick Question: Will there be ships and seafaring? Just wondering: might aid in the foundation of my pet Merchant Republic (really a Duchy but whatever).

Link to the Duchy of Camorr Official Website:
http://duchyofcamorr.enjin.com/
Link to the Duchy of Camorr thread:
the-gentleman-bastards-t1255/
Link to The Duchy of Camorr Steam group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/theduchyofcamorr

Arrakis

Re: Ships?

Post by Arrakis » 03 Jun 2014, 22:54

This question was asked multiple times already in interactive FAQ and in separate threads.

The answer is: Yes, in later stage of development.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 04 Jun 2014, 09:20

How will that work with needing to buy a ticket from newbie island on a ship?
Link to Tirmani thread:
the-duchy-of-tirmani-t1291/

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 04 Jun 2014, 09:26

The eventual seafaring vessels and the newbie-island transfer has nothing to do with eachother.

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 04 Jun 2014, 10:23

Longboats please :D

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 04 Jun 2014, 10:51

LordWiese wrote:Longboats please :D

Longboats, galleys and Hansa Cogs! Build me a floating fortress worthy of Mordor!

Wigster600

Post by Wigster600 » 06 Jun 2014, 14:55

Thokan wrote:
LordWiese wrote:Longboats please :D

Longboats, galleys and Hansa Cogs! Build me a floating fortress worthy of Mordor!

We need giant ships that sink under their own weight like the mary rose :D

Svarog

Post by Svarog » 06 Jun 2014, 22:23

I doubt we will see the ships in first year after launching the game.

Lukepop
Alpha Tester

Post by Lukepop » 07 Jun 2014, 06:27

We need corsair ships.
Link to Tirmani thread:
the-duchy-of-tirmani-t1291/

Reincubo
Alpha Tester

Post by Reincubo » 07 Jun 2014, 11:19

I would not be wrong, it seems to me that the raft is already available ..

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 08 Jun 2014, 10:36

Reincubo wrote:I would not be wrong, it seems to me that the raft is already available ..

Have you seen it built in game?

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 08 Jun 2014, 12:13

There are no rafts in game yet.

Svarog

Post by Svarog » 08 Jun 2014, 13:46

Bobik , any update on progress of the game? Been awhile..

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 08 Jun 2014, 16:15

Nothing special to say. We're planning another prealpha test run tomorrow morning. Being busy with debugging of previous build, development of day/night cycle system, effects system revamp and increase of animation quality.
Development is going on at full force. A news worthy update might will be next week.

LordWiese
Alpha Tester

Post by LordWiese » 08 Jun 2014, 16:27

Keep up the good work Bobik! I look forward to having very little clue as to what I'm doing most of the time in Alpha :no:

Svarog

Post by Svarog » 08 Jun 2014, 17:01

Bobik wrote:Nothing special to say. We're planning another prealpha test run tomorrow morning. Being busy with debugging of previous build, development of day/night cycle system, effects system revamp and increase of animation quality.
Development is going on at full force. A news worthy update might will be next week.

Good to hear :)

Reincubo
Alpha Tester

Post by Reincubo » 08 Jun 2014, 17:38

LordWiese wrote:
Reincubo wrote:I would not be wrong, it seems to me that the raft is already available ..

Have you seen it built in game?

to the river bank with costructions,but I'm not sure

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 10 Jun 2014, 10:10

Bobik wrote:There are no rafts in game yet.

Have you planned for it to be able to carry liftable objects/carts?

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 10 Jun 2014, 10:23

Hmm, I think it will be able to carry only players. But as other floating objects it will have a container of its own, so you should be able to fetch goods "inside" of it.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 10 Jun 2014, 10:43

Bobik wrote:Hmm, I think it will be able to carry only players. But as other floating objects it will have a container of its own, so you should be able to fetch goods "inside" of it.

Are there any planned floating object that can carry carts? Without, wouldn't it mean having to build carts on each separate island if you cannot transport them over bodies of water?

Also, I would guess it easier to have a static mechanic for transporting AI NPCs such as cattle instead of a moveable object vs moveable object ballistic killing machine. If you are supposed to be able to transport animals over bodies of water in the first place.

Just food for thought.

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 10 Jun 2014, 11:23

Thokan wrote:
Bobik wrote:Hmm, I think it will be able to carry only players. But as other floating objects it will have a container of its own, so you should be able to fetch goods "inside" of it.

Are there any planned floating object that can carry carts? Without, wouldn't it mean having to build carts on each separate island if you cannot transport them over bodies of water?

Also, I would guess it easier to have a static mechanic for transporting AI NPCs such as cattle instead of a moveable object vs moveable object ballistic killing machine. If you are supposed to be able to transport animals over bodies of water in the first place.

Just food for thought.

Yup, that means you will have to build carts on both sides of a ferry line.

Animals are not following player - we've sticked to pocket ponies so far, so you just transport them in you inventory or inventory of a cart.

Thokan
Alpha Tester

Post by Thokan » 10 Jun 2014, 12:07

Bobik wrote:
Thokan wrote:

Just food for thought.

Yup, that means you will have to build carts on both sides of a ferry line.

Animals are not following player - we've sticked to pocket ponies so far, so you just transport them in you inventory or inventory of a cart.

Clears a few questions. Goodie. Thanks

Feldmarschal
Zealous Believer

Post by Feldmarschal » 17 Dec 2016, 16:08

Dear developers and programmers,
i love playing LiF YO and i have a couple ideas for the MMO i'd like to share with you.
In your Intro you introduced ships or rather that the players are stranded on foreign shore. Ive thought about these ships, how they could work or what might be technically possible from my point of view.
I'd like to have several ship types or classes to choose from. For example rafts or smaller boats up to long boats and cogs, maybe even a siege ship with dedicated weaponry.
Such a ship is a common project of an entire community or at least several people. Only small boats should be able to craft by a single person. Also the navigation of a ship should rely entirely on teamwork, just like in real life.
I've been thinking about concepts how using a ship could be suitable in an MMO enviroment.
Historically a cog was about 20-30 metres metres long with a width of 5-8 metres, while maintaining a draft of about 1,5 metres. This relatively low draft makes it possible to land on natural shores without the need of constructed harbors. These cogs were able to transport 80-200 tons of goods. They are sailing vessels with a square sail and reached about 6,5 kilometres per hour. At wind velocity of 3 it is even 11 kilometres per hour which is faster than a cart on land. The problem is that manouvering is quite difficult during headwind.
Usually a typical medieval crew contained 15-20 men.
My technical sollution for this is to bind people to their ship to increase the mulitplayer effect. A ship needs pretty much every stat like intelligence and so on, depending on the role.
A ship which has a top speed of 14 kilometres per hour has a tonnage of about 4 tons. We have a crew of 6 people who have acombined value of 360 skillpoints. These skillpoints are divided by the required value of the specific ship type. Each ship type has a number of slots at the oars. So depending on the manned slots and the tonnage a ship should reach a certain top speed.
About ships which rely entirely on their sails. Strenght, location and direction of the wind can be defined by the server. For example if a wind will suddenly change direction.
These are some of my ideas how to make ships playable.
My question is, is it possible to move on ships while it is moving? So the commander or troops can change position whenever they want. And will ship building be a part of the carpentry skill tree? Just like after smelting you can choose between forging and armorsmith.

Hab dazu auchw as im deustche Forumteil schon geschrieben.

Baal
True Believer

Post by Baal » 17 Dec 2016, 16:38

Good questions, i wonder if ship involve creating new skill like sailling in minor skill tree for exemple to better handle ships or repairing ship or a ship building skill will be part of carpentry skill, it would be cool.
I personnaly think it should be carpentry recipe because a new skill branch for ship construction will be hard to level up (i won't be realistic to craft thousand ships for nothing to level up a skill)

I'm wondering also how the game engine will work with player walking on movable object like ship, collision things and ship physics.

Jamaicus
True Believer

Post by Jamaicus » 17 Dec 2016, 17:31

I want a canoe

Trovao999
True Believer

Post by Trovao999 » 15 Jun 2020, 00:27

Greetings dear Feudal friends, I would like to share with you an idea that we had in our clan alliance, we know that the idea of ​​boats comes a long time ago and needs maturity. We are thinking about the need for the outposts of fish, because as we know we can get some regional items with the mill post, so we thought, why not a fish and that we would already provide its structure to anchor a boat? We think that this post serves as a safe haven, considering that when we create a post we dominate a fiefdom, so we can park it there. We imagine this post being created on the border between land and water. Due to the wars for outposts some may question the security of the outpost, given the need to build walls and gates to surround it. We thought of creating an aquatic gate that would remain in the construction (palisade), masonry (stone) and architecture (castle), it would be necessary a small terraforming below the gate and the walls can be made as the terraforming in the water.

follow link with images, sorry for the bad images, but my forte is not drawing :D
https://prnt.sc/szqomg
https://prnt.sc/szqpcw
https://prnt.sc/szqpq9

Friendlinzh

Post by Friendlinzh » 16 Jun 2020, 00:27

We have sailed to these lands on ships, yet there are no ships in the game. We need Ships, and I'm not talking about some kind of raft.

Return to General Discussion