Peegee77 wrote:Being serious for a bit, I really enjoy PVP, and in a game like EVE where it works well I get heavily involved. There are reasons why I haven't so far done the same in LiF:MMO, and I suspect a lot of people share these reasons:
- Small guilds are still working on skills, base building and other PVE activities. It's a massive grind to skill up, not everybody has unlimited time to devote to it, so they want, quite rightly, to get those things sorted first.
- Let's be honest, PVP doesn't really work that well yet. It's laggy, it's buggy, it's not a great deal of fun.
- Even when the server isn't lagging, far too often you end up against some kiddie who has plugged something naughty on their ethernet cable. It's no fun standing lagged out and rooted to the spot while a magic warrior teleports round you and kills you.
Time will sort out the first one, but only the devs can eventually deal with the other two. Until they do, it makes sense to put limits in place - and as I said before, there really is nothing at all stopping all the PVPers fighting 24 hours a day if they want to. All the devs have done is to stop LiF turning into a gankfest murder simulator while they sort things out, and I think that's the correct decision.
Actually, most PvP guilds have very little problem with PvP lag/etc.
PvP fighters are absolutely stopped from PvP at most times. The people getting "ganked"? They're not from big guilds. They're the guys with the small 10 man type guilds. Why? Because you don't bother trying to hit big guilds anymore as you can't get in their walls.
Everyone who is saying "ride out and fight in glorious battle" obvious is dreaming. REAL PvP is using whatever advantages you can to gain victory in battle. This includes terrain and wall defenses. Why would you ride out if you can effectively defend from your wall, and there's no possibility to get into it?
Majority of our guild's raids against large enemies (50+ enemy guilds) go pretty much like this:
- Go into enemy's area and close to their base
- Enemy spots us coming due to effective base design and large guilds often keep good watch.
- Enemy retreats inside their walls and gets everyone up on archer.
- We spend an hour outside trying to bait out the enemy outside of archer range.
- We get bored, and leave because nothing has been lost by large guild, maybe we take some damage from arrows, maybe they do too. Nobody dies.
We went on a 4 hour raid the other day that went over 4 different large guild bases - and had not one fight. The ONLY people to target right now are those small guilds who don't know how to build, and are soft targets. Large guilds are already safe in their walls. Most large guilds already have massive supplies and their building is largely done. Large guilds have tree farms on claim. There is absolutely nothing you can do to them.
All these changes to prevent bark boxing for example is to protect large guilds, protect troll guilds who can use drying frames, and make small, newer guilds who don't know how to build, much bigger targets.