Worth Playing or Not?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Cloxity

Worth Playing or Not?

Post by Cloxity » 05 Nov 2013, 05:30

Another sandbox mmo! So what makes Life is Feudal worth playing compared to other mmo's that attempted this genre?

From right off the bat, the game looks like a rendition of a 2000 RPG. Not that it is bad in a sense, but graphic wise it's a throw-back compared to newer, 2013 games. Another is the theme setting of the game. Attempts at sandbox element gaming have been made either through a star-trek like sci-fi, or a med-evil ye old english setting. Again, not that this is particularly a bad thing, but it's an attempt that i've seen often in this mmo genre(which is one of the reasons why i didn't bother much with these, except for games like skyrim). Why never beautiful fantasy setting, or a hybrid mix?

While the concept of the artwork is certainly inspiring, why is different from the graphic quality placed in the actual game? Unless what we're viewing right now is scaled-back beta render-shots(for the purpose of show-casing functonality), right now the build looks as if it's made for older PCS. Is there a high-rendition that will be made available to this game? Will this game support oculus rift, or is the build on Unreal Engine 3?

I'm assuming Life is Feudal is going to be a sandbox mmo. If so, how will updates be delivered to players? Will the updates be actually "content" that is meaningful delivered to the game, or will it go down the path so many main-stream games have done with cash-shopping and carrot-dangling? How will the world of Feudal be expanded?

Also about character/design/roles. Will we be able to make our own characters, using a built-in customization feature in the game, or will we be able to "import" our own meshes into the game? As for genders, will this game be specifically male orientated(gender-locked specific classes), or will it give the option of male, female, and non-human/humanoid type characters? Will we be seeing these differences both NPC and player-wise if so? Can characters become less-clothed, or will they always have a standard t-shirt and pants appeal?

Are there any pets in this game or plans to add them? If so, are they capturable? Can they breed? Can they be used as mount exclusives, or as combat companions? Do they eventually grow old, and die?

As for the sandbox elements, I love the idea of 100% tera-forming. This type of teraforming I have experienced in Second-Life where the ground can literally be manipulated. From a small hill, to flat grass-land surface. Along with that element its said we can build anywhere in the game? So does that mean we can build in the water, or in the air as islands?

What about the interaction elements? Does the environment change from time to time to reflect seasons? Does it change from light, to dark? Can players be hurt by fire, or drowned by water(if they can't swim or stay in water for too long)? Are there any puzzle-type elements when it comes to pre-rendered dungeons? (think of zelda here). Are there any instance zones? Does the AI of the monsters change based on the actions of the players? Do they team up with each-other at points, or are they more like bots spread across wide points on a terrian? Can monsters/enemies actually perform their own "seiges" on other towns? Do enemies/monsters actually get "smarter" and "learn" from their environment? Do NPC's remember what players do in town? Like in Skyrim, are they attackable?

It seems like this game ditches point and click for console-action fighting. How good is it? Are the animations smooth and rendering, or choppy and unusual? As far as 'real' damage is concerned, does that mean eventually armor will break off? If so, is this reflected on the player character? Or will the player character sustain injuries and or/possible sickness? Is this a hard-core MMO with possible perma-death, or is this a casual easy game that even angry-bird audiences can play?

How about the UI of the game. Is it customizable? Is the UI easy on the eyes (not a ton of buttons) or from a modern point understandable? Is the UI pleasant and engaging, or a task/boring? Will we be able to change the color setting of the UI or placement?

How about the environment of the game? At times, will there be famine and diseases in the world? How about earthquakes, fire-storms, wraith-of-the-gods, etc, corrupt government npcs/players? Will it be a game where bandits and crooks alike run amuck, or will it be a game that enforces order and divinity? Or will it be a mixed bag of both? Can characters be kidnapped? if they don't pay their land rent and put into slavery? Can they be held for ransom? Also, is there cannibalism? Can monsters/animals be sold/eaten for meat? What type of ideal 'rating' is Feudal going for, PG, PG-13, M, or 18+?

Are there succubus? And if so, can they be turned into pets or are they mythical beings summoned by the natives of the land? Will there be any mythological type creatures in the game? Will there be any nudity, or none?

Siegbert
Alpha Tester

Re: Worth Playing or Not?

Post by Siegbert » 05 Nov 2013, 11:14

Hi there,

let's see if I can answer some of these questions from my outside perspective or at least give my opinion....

Cloxity wrote:Another sandbox mmo! So what makes Life is Feudal worth playing compared to other mmo's that attempted this genre?

Don't know. How many are there really? I know of Mortal Online and DarkFall.
Most MMOs seem to be pretty themepark.

From right off the bat, the game looks like a rendition of a 2000 RPG. Not that it is bad in a sense, but graphic wise it's a throw-back compared to newer, 2013 games.

Parts look good like the general character modeling. Environment looks a bit dated on some screens, others look nice. Anyway, I don't care too much about graphics.
The most addicting games for me have absolutely crap graphics compared to modern AAA titles.

Another is the theme setting of the game. Attempts at sandbox element gaming have been made either through a star-trek like sci-fi, or a med-evil ye old english setting. Again, not that this is particularly a bad thing, but it's an attempt that i've seen often in this mmo genre(which is one of the reasons why i didn't bother much with these, except for games like skyrim). Why never beautiful fantasy setting, or a hybrid mix?

So, which other MMO has a non-fantasy medieval setting? I don't know of any (maybe this stronghold MMO...)
Games like Mount&Blade, Chivalry, or Total War are strictly non-fantasy medieval set but you wouldn't call them MMO.
Most of those MMO games have a certain medieval-ish aesthetic (more of Rennaissance or antiquity most of the times) combined with bullshit modern hairstyle, big boobs, metal bras. Even Skyrim is far from being medieval.
It only seems that people want to be taken back to older times before people ran around with semi automatic guns. But really they mostly don't care about a believable medieval setting.

While the concept of the artwork is certainly inspiring, why is different from the graphic quality placed in the actual game? Unless what we're viewing right now is scaled-back beta render-shots(for the purpose of show-casing functonality), right now the build looks as if it's made for older PCS. Is there a high-rendition that will be made available to this game?

Because it's indie... ^^
What do you expect, seriously? Go play Mount&Blade Warband. It looks like total shit from today's graphic standards but its fans don't care. They love the gameplay, they love the setting, the love the freedom.

Also about character/design/roles. Will we be able to make our own characters, using a built-in customization feature in the game

Certainly we will. This is really standard.

or will we be able to "import" our own meshes into the game?

What? Which game does that? :D
I think it's safe to say: No ^^

As for genders, will this game be specifically male orientated(gender-locked specific classes), or will it give the option of male, female, and non-human/humanoid type characters?

Most certainly both: male and female. Which MMO does feature male only, anyway?

Will we be seeing these differences both NPC and player-wise if so? Can characters become less-clothed, or will they always have a standard t-shirt and pants appeal?

Watch the trailer. They clearly wear different armor.

Are there any pets in this game or plans to add them? If so, are they capturable? Can they breed? Can they be used as mount exclusives, or as combat companions? Do they eventually grow old, and die?

Gosh, I hope not. ^^
I for once, don't care at all about pets or NPCs. I want a game that is purely player driven. But I might be a minority.

So does that mean we can build in the water, or in the air as islands? [/b]

I don't think so. It's supposed to be a realistic game.

What about the interaction elements? Does the environment change from time to time to reflect seasons? Does it change from light, to dark?

They already have day/night cycles. Seasons would be sweet indeed.

Can players be hurt by fire, or drowned by water(if they can't swim or stay in water for too long)?

Certainly.

Are there any puzzle-type elements when it comes to pre-rendered dungeons? (think of zelda here).

Pre-rendered dungeons? You know this is a 3D game, don't you? :P

Are there any instance zones? Does the AI of the monsters change based on the actions of the players?

There are no monsters, nor instances afaik.

It seems like this game ditches point and click for console-action fighting. How good is it?

It's supposed to resemble Mount&Blade's combat a bit where you have different attack directions you choose by moving your mouse accordingly. You can strike from left, right, straight and above.
In M&B it's working great. We will see how it is here.

Are the animations smooth and rendering, or choppy and unusual?

Right now it seems to be choppy but that may change still.

As far as 'real' damage is concerned, does that mean eventually armor will break off? If so, is this reflected on the player character? Or will the player character sustain injuries and or/possible sickness?

I don't think your armor will break off but you might see injuries on your character's model like blood on the texture.

Is this a hard-core MMO with possible perma-death, or is this a casual easy game that even angry-bird audiences can play?

Who the fuck would want perma-death?

How about the environment of the game? At times, will there be famine and diseases in the world? How about earthquakes, fire-storms, wraith-of-the-gods, etc, corrupt government npcs/players? Will it be a game where bandits and crooks alike run amuck, or will it be a game that enforces order and divinity? Or will it be a mixed bag of both? Can characters be kidnapped? if they don't pay their land rent and put into slavery? Can they be held for ransom? Also, is there cannibalism? Can monsters/animals be sold/eaten for meat?

Well I hope it will be up to the players to deal with such stuff, not something the developers force upon you.

Are there succubus? And if so, can they be turned into pets or are they mythical beings summoned by the natives of the land? Will there be any mythological type creatures in the game? Will there be any nudity, or none?

Again: no fantasy stuff.

Falke88
Alpha Tester

Post by Falke88 » 05 Nov 2013, 11:19

Nice questions... But why didnt they appear within the FAQ Thread? did you even read the FAQ Archive ?

Honest answer pls!

Bobik
Project Leader

Post by Bobik » 05 Nov 2013, 11:40

Thank you Siegbert for answering those questions. Your answers were very accurate ;)

Return to General Discussion