Development News #70 - On the Topic of Sieges

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis
Website & Forum Manager

Development News #70 - On the Topic of Sieges

Post by Arrakis » 22 Sep 2017, 17:00

rimg

In today’s devblog, we would like to share our vision of the Siege system that we’re currently working on.

After some extensive brainstorming, we’ve developed a method of how we can use, and even enhance, the Instanced Battle system in a way that can also be used as an underlying technology for sieges. This should make the implementation of the Siege system relatively quick and painless!

Once a Siege Totem is placed in the vicinity of a Tier 1 Monument, it will claim a small (12 tile radius) patch of land. Both parties will have approximately 24 real-life hours to gather their troops for the siege event. The attackers will have to spend this time fortifying their Siege Camp, fetching equipment and ammo to stock it, build siege tents, organize storage stockpiles and deploy trebuchets and other weapons of war. The defenders will do well to prioritize disrupting the attackers as much as possible during this time.

Once a Siege becomes active, all enlisted members on both sides will move to the separate Siege server instance. This instance will be a mirror image of the main gameworld in this area. One particular difference is that, upon a player’s death, it will not force that player out of the Siege instance, instead, players will be respawned at their bind point: defenders, if they are bound in the area, and attackers will respawn at the Siege Totem.

The Siege system uses a ticket system and every respawn will cost the team one ticket each. The initial amount of spawn tickets for the attackers depends on the number of siege tents that they have built inside their Siege camp. Defenders’ spawn tickets are calculated as the minimum of two sums: the sum of all rally points (all types of keeps) and the sum of all bind slots (houses) inside the area. The defending team need to make sure they have a balanced layout in the area, or else may have some trouble during the siege!

The Siege will last for either three hours or until one side wins. Attackers will be assaulting the castle until they destroy the Guild's Monument. Defenders are tasked with defending their Monument for three hours or destroying the attackers’ Siege Totem.

When the siege ends, both parties will be moved back to the main gameworld. Those who have died or lost the battle will appear naked at their bind spots; the winning team will return to the spot they are bound to, victorious - and very much clothed and alive, of course!
The winners will have one hour of exclusive access rights on both of the claims (Siege Camp claim and the Guild City claim) for looting and pillaging. After one hour, both claims will disappear, letting those who won to decide the fate of these lands and the property on it.

Our vision of a siege is way more than the pure action of wall-bashing and ‘into-the-breaching’ - we want it to also be a matter of logistics, preparation, economics and careful planning.

Well, because Life is Feudal!

You are welcome to discuss the siege mechanics with the devs and players on our official Discord server: https://discord.gg/6PSGmDg

Stay tuned!

— The team

Kildrith
Zealous Believer

Re: Development News #70 - On the Topic of Sieges

Post by Kildrith » 22 Sep 2017, 17:08

Arrakis wrote:

The winners will have one hour of exclusive access rights on both of the claims (Siege Camp claim and the Guild City claim) for looting and pillaging. After one hour, both claims will disappear, letting those who won to decide the fate of these lands and the property on it.

A point of clarification, if you are the defender and you win all the defenders get access to loot on the City Claim, does that include things like warehouses?

The way its worded it seems the city claim is over ruled by a new claim that lasts 1 hour, that would allow allies to loot and pillage the city they came to help defend.

I hope that is not the case.

Piegefull
Beta Tester

Post by Piegefull » 22 Sep 2017, 17:15

Disponible en Français : sur Lifeisfeudal-fr.com
Last edited by Piegefull on 22 Sep 2017, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Les Témoins de Mérovée Site - Forum - Me contacter

Karabas
Alpha Tester

Post by Karabas » 22 Sep 2017, 17:41

if i am defender and i won - why my city claim should desapear????

siege totem has 12 radius is like 3,14*144 sq tiles ? and how many siege tents can be placed inside? several only is maximum? stupid idea! sorry, but it is =((

what does it mean - "balanced layout in the area" of keeps and houses? what is the size of siege area to count bind and rally spots for battle? one server? or less?
the siege tents for defender - counted in rally points amount????

give us numbers !!!!!!

"placed in the vicinity of a Tier 1 Monument" - what does it mean ???? on the city claim area? or 50 tiles? 100 tiles? 200 tiles?

if where are 2, or 3 or more t1 monuments nearby - wich of them will be counted as "attacked" ???

so....... its a bad news.... news of VERY bad quality =(((
bad description of the core game mechanics you going to change.....

VERY discouraging.... and disappointing
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Karabas on 23 Sep 2017, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Gray tag. Gray axe.Image

Saar
Zealous Believer

Post by Saar » 22 Sep 2017, 17:59

Traduction française disponible sur vonCulm.fr
Last edited by Saar on 25 Sep 2017, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

Werebear
Zealous Believer

Post by Werebear » 22 Sep 2017, 18:23

Arrakis wrote:
Our vision of a siege is way more than the pure action of wall-bashing and ‘into-the-breaching’ - we want it to also be a matter of logistics, preparation, economics and careful planning.

:good: this is great ! :Yahoo!: i hope so too :)

Greymore_Dunlin
Beta Tester

Post by Greymore_Dunlin » 22 Sep 2017, 18:27

Well, reading through your dev news today shocked me because of two reasons:

1. The more you are developing instanced content, the more the open world feeling is dying! This is the main reason of many players to play this kind of games.
Example: Perhaps be surprised if you are on a hunting trip and suddently see two big guilds fighting each other and do some sieges. The free decision to take part in it, helping the defenders or the attackers spontaneous. This feeling of freedom is a great thing and there are plenty of more examples for pvp/pve and also rp.

A lot of open world games had this idea before with housing etc. and failed or partially failed.

2. Normally I enjoy your ideas that I can read on dev news every friday. But dont you think that there are really enough open ideas for now that never have been released? Please first finish the really important features, bring them to work as they have to and release the steam early access as soon as possible. More and more players will leave your fantastic game and hey...the more guys are leaving the less you have to test your new Features (an average of 50 players on prime time in cbt5 is ridiculous).

:x - salty!

Jakkus07
Beta Tester

Post by Jakkus07 » 22 Sep 2017, 19:17

As i remember correctly sieges weren't supposed t be instanced. :no:
There were supposed to be open and everyone could participate in them at any time. So i doubt you will be able to "get in" when instance is already in motion.
I love the battles, glory and loot.
Yet I'm not the wolf.
I love the craft, trade and gold.
Yet I'm not the sheep.
What am I then you ask?
I'm The Jackal...

Elindor
True Believer

Post by Elindor » 22 Sep 2017, 19:41

This is cool and thanks for the info (although there are a lot of questions still about exactly how some of this works)...

But, any updates on timeline?

AUG 18 the plan was EA to start in 3-4 weeks, and obviously that isn't happening, but what is the new expected EA start?

Jakkus07
Beta Tester

Post by Jakkus07 » 22 Sep 2017, 19:56

12 tile radius? Thats like 4-5 tents (48-60 bind points) and its not much for a siege. Can tents be placed outside siege monument?
I love the battles, glory and loot.
Yet I'm not the wolf.
I love the craft, trade and gold.
Yet I'm not the sheep.
What am I then you ask?
I'm The Jackal...

Return to Development News