Development News #121 — No Hesitation for Lag Compensation

What are we currently working on.
Arrakis

Development News #121 — No Hesitation for Lag Compensation

Post by Arrakis » 14 Sep 2018, 17:01

Hey, Feudalists!

This week we’ve released another patch, one of the main features of which is preventing building ridiculously long sleeping bag bridges on claims where you’re not supposed to be dropping movable items. We’ve also toughened Outposts, so that players will actually fight for the ownership instead of one-sapper-charge guerilla griefing. You can read the detailed patch notes here.

We’ve also received a bunch of feedback on YO update - thank you so much for that. Some of you have been wondering how to change world color after the update. Here’s some small instructions on how to do that. If you have any additional questions about the YO update, or need a guide on something, please let us know - we’re always happy to help!

Another thing that we would like to share with you in this week’s dev news is a bit more info about our lag compensation mechanism, how it works, and how it may help you in battle.

First of all, we want to remind you that we're using the authoritative server architecture, which means that all important calculations are made on the server side only. This renders the most serious hacks impossible for cheaters/hackers to use, such as speedhack, teleport, fly, no clip, instakill and other serious hacks that you might have seen in other games. This also means that, in order for a player to hit someone, they have to compensate their latency by aiming their attacks ahead of the enemy. Pro players have mastered these tactics, but it creates an inconsistent picture, where you can score the hit while swinging the air in front of your enemy or missing your attacks when swinging right at the back of an enemy running away from you.

In order to minimize, or completely remove such an effect, we've recently implemented a lag compensation mechanism. Basically, it keeps a couple of ‘shades’ of players in the world, a kind of trace of the player movements in the space over a period of time. When an attacker swings at their victim, our server checks the ping of the attacker and instead of checking the current position of the victim, the server picks one of the shades of the victim; the shade of the initial position of the victim when the attacker made their swing. As a result, the attacker will see a proper hit in the victim’s model, which makes the game look more adequate. You must still predict player movements when swinging and shooting since arrows, as an example, do not fly with instant and consistent speed.
We want also to inform you that we still limit the maximum ping that is compensated. Thus terribly lagging players or those who are artificially lagging themselves will not gain an advantage of such a system.

Let us know how the lag compensation mechanism helped you in game, we are looking forward to your feedback.

Have a great weekend!

— The team

Federicogjm

Re: Development News #121 — No Hesitation for Lag Compensation

Post by Federicogjm » 14 Sep 2018, 18:23

Hello everyone
I would like to tell you that I had stopped playing for a few months and upon returning this last week I found that I have a lot of lag, I suspect my video card, the map, the ingame chat, and I do not know what it can be unless this update has affected
So far I do not play pvp in the game so I do not even imagine what the mechanics will be like before and after the patch, but it is a fact that since I came back this thing happens to me that practically makes me impossible to play.

Everything is fine when I start, it usually takes a long time but it is normal in this game the initial load has always been very heavy, but if I start to move around the maps I do not usually get to cross a whole map that starts to freeze everything and the only solution is disconnect and reconnect.
Apparently it happens when I travel long distances.

Arrakis

Re: Development News #121 — No Hesitation for Lag Compensation

Post by Arrakis » 15 Sep 2018, 12:00

Federicogjm wrote:...
It will be best if you contact us (support) about this issue on discord. https://discord.gg/lifeisfeudal

Return to Development News