First house guide for new players.

Want to learn or teach others some of the finer details of Life is Feudal? This section is for the game guides, tutorials and FAQ's.

Kossako
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 175
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 04:37
Location: Poland

First house guide for new players.

Post by Kossako » 04 Jul 2014, 10:32

There are many new people starting alfa recently so I decided to crate this guide. There are some basics and some tips and I hope every player using this guide will be able to create his first bind location. If you see any errors feel free to send pm to me.

Here we go.

Location:

If you don’t want to join some group already settled in some location, you need to find some place where you will be able to live alone. Map is quite large so running every time for resources you need might be frustrating.

Tip: While you need to run somewhere unequip all your tools. You will be faster and your stamina while sprinting will drain at slower rate. Also you may want to turn on auto sprint (Caps Lock - your stamina will drain) and auto run (Num Lock). Just auto run and turn off sprinting till you regen your stamina. You will get at desired location a lot faster.

What you will need for sure if you want to test crafting:

-Wood – It’s needed for all buildings and fuel for smelting. Good to have forest close. You can carry up to 3 building logs at time and some building requires hundreds of it…

-Rock – if you want to build castle walls or anything from fortifications (or even larger building) you will need a lot. In other cases not necessary to have one close.

-Iron Ore – it’s good to have one close. Needed for better tools and for nails that are used in most containers.

-Sand – needed for glass which is needed for window modules needed for larger buildings. No need to have one close, you can gather and recall.

-Clay – used for clay based buildings. If you have lack of wood in neighbourhood you might want to build clay based buildings. You will save wood for other things. Water is also essential in that case if you want to form clay into some more complicated prefabricates (for example brick). Most larger houses also required clay to be build. Keep it in mind if you want to crate small village.


Building a house:


If you picked location you like it’s time to build a hut. Mainly for recall ability so you can come back to location or respawn on your “property” (claiming land is not implemented yet).

So what will you need to create your home:

Tools:

a) Primitive Shovel – for flattering land for your home and gathering Clay (if needed)
b) Primitive Pickaxe – for shaping Rock
c) Primitive Axe – for chopping down tree
d) Primitive Saw – for chopping fallen tree into Building Logs and Boards (if needed)
e) Primitive hammer – to construct your home.

To create primitive tools you need:
a) Branch – just find some tree, click action menu and under forestry you will find “snap a branch” option. You can gather many from one tree.
b) Flint Stone – you need to find rocky area and after clicking action menu under prospection you will see option to search for eliglable stone. You can gather many from one place.
c) Wild Plant Fiber – it’s available everywhere where you see grass. It’s chance based so you can just stand still and under action menu – nature lore / Search for wild plant fiber – you can repeat action till you get desired amount of wild plant fiber.

Tip: When you mouse over on certain object (tree or ground) you can change default action by right clicking on it in action menu. Then all you have to do is just click left mouse without even entering action menu.

Steps to create your home:

1. Craft shovel and pickaxe. Right click on branch in inventory and choose to craft tools. Construction menu will pop up with materials needed after selecting desired tool.

2. Terraform rocky terrain or dig a tunnel to get rock. Process all rock into Shaped Rock using pickaxe (right click on it to show menu) to increase Construction Materials Preparation skill. You need to rise it to 60 in order to be able to build smallest hut.

Tip: In skill group certain skill is available to you (except for first one) if you level previous skill to level 30. To rise certain skill above 30 you need to have previous skill level at 60 minimum. So if you need Construction Materials Preparation you need to rise Terraforming to 60 first.

3. Craft hammer. Pick a spot and try to build house. Right click on ground and under Construction Material Preparation select Construct. Depend on resources nearby you can build Tiny Shack (wood only based) or Plaster Tiny Shack (clay and wood based). Click build. You will see how your building will look like and what parts of terrain need to be flattened. If you already did some flattening you can check what squares left to terraform (will be red, while flattened will be green)

4. Now it’s time to flatten ground under your hut. 4x4 squares are needed. Start by flattering first one and when it’s ready stand on it and flatten next square. It will be flattened to same level as the one you are standing on. Proceed with all 16 squares.

5. Build a hut using procedure from point 3. Remember you can turn home around. I suggest doing it to pick up best side for door.

6. Now you have your building location and you need to gather resources needed to finish building. Click on it and they will be listed. After gathering some amount of resources you might be overburden. Just come back to your building site, open construction menu and drop required items into space under building requirements. Depends on what type of hut have you chosen you will need:

a) Tiny Shack
-10 Building Logs – you need axe and saw equipped. Chop down tree and then saw out building log (choose from menu) from fallen tree using saw.
-20 Boards – you need axe and saw equipped. Chop down tree and then saw out boards (choose from menu) from fallen tree using saw.

b) Plaster Tiny Shack
-5 Building Logs – you need axe and saw equipped. Chop down tree and then saw out building log (choose from menu) from fallen tree using saw.
- 150 Clay – find clay and using shovel lower terrain (terraforming) Proceed until you have 150 clay in inventory.


Tip: There are 2 types of trees in LiF: Softwood that requires logging 30 and hardwood that requires logging 60. So if you don’t see option to cut down tree under logging and you have 30 logging already you try to cut down hardwood tree. Choose another one. To increase logging from 0 to 30 you need to cut down bark from tree. Just find a tree an under logging action menu you have option for it.


7. You can build your hut with some resources already gathered or wait till you gather all of them. Equip hammer and just hit build in house crafting menu. Remember to finish house you need to stand outside of building area. If you don’t do that you will get message about space being blocked.

8. After finishing house right click it and choose “set as my home”. There is no message confirming it so I always click couple of times just to be sure… (you should get message “there is no room for you…”. That means you are already bind to that)

Congratulations :) You just build you first house.
Last edited by Kossako on 04 Jul 2014, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Skills and crafting information: lif-database-application-t1494

Build your first home for newbies guide: first-house-guide-to-new-players-t1432


Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: 18 Jan 2014, 14:48

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Hoshiqua » 04 Jul 2014, 12:46

One tip : We have found something interesting about clay !

It's simple, you don't have to run for clay source and then recall, there's a much faster way. I don't know if it is a bug, but let me explain :

First, find a beach. Shouldn't be that hard, and there are chances that there is one near you. Go to that beach.

Then, equip your shovel and your pickaxe. Start lowering the ground near the water using your shovel until you hit rock.

When you hit rock, try digging a tunnel in it using your pickaxe. If it does nothing after the action is completed, that means you are too close to the water, try to repeat the above steps one tile away from the water.

If you actually get rock, it's good, keep digging until you get a little tunnel (dug out stone, you should notice it). This is considered as a normal tunnel, and you should be able to keep mining the sides of this little tunnel. Since you are on a beach, you should have reached water level, and the stone you want to keep mining should be a tiny bit above the water.

Then, here's the magic : when you mine stone inside a tunnel, as little as it is, if the stone is right above the water, you should get clay. You won't get as many as when you directly get it from a normal source, but it can save a lot of time.

I hope it's understood. I'll make a video to explain better next run.

That trick allowed us to get a lot of clay for building, eve tough we are located at the oasis, which is far away from any "normal" clay source.


Kossako
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 175
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 04:37
Location: Poland

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Kossako » 04 Jul 2014, 13:19

Sounds rather like a bug or on water level there is everywhere clay/sand and this is normal behavior. You just need to find rock to develop masonry skills.
Last edited by Kossako on 04 Jul 2014, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
Skills and crafting information: lif-database-application-t1494

Build your first home for newbies guide: first-house-guide-to-new-players-t1432


Ascid
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 30 May 2014, 14:13
Location: France

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Ascid » 04 Jul 2014, 17:37

thx for this guide kossako ! it will help for sure ;)
Image

User avatar
Kuroi
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 315
Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 17:37
Location: Italy

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Kuroi » 04 Jul 2014, 19:07

thanks a lot!

User avatar
Bobik
Project Leader
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: 30 Apr 2011, 15:06

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Bobik » 05 Jul 2014, 12:25

Very nice tutorial. Good job Kossako :good:

Made it sticky.


Reincubo
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Jan 2014, 21:18

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Reincubo » 05 Jul 2014, 17:24

:beer: thx :D


XandorDD
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 14:13
Location: Germany

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by XandorDD » 06 Jul 2014, 09:01

Thx for this nice Tutorial. :good:

Plz more.

More Tutorials for:

- create iron tool kits
- build ditches
- all about Potter's wheel

Thanks in advance.

Greetings XandorDD
Ingame Char
Friedrich von Sachsen
Frederick of Saxony

36. Hochmeister des Deutschen Ordens von 1498 bis 1510.
36th Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, serving from 1498-1510.


SaresITA89
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 254
Joined: 27 Oct 2013, 17:26
Location: Italy

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by SaresITA89 » 23 Aug 2014, 06:36

Thz
Can I translate this guide in Italian and to publish it on the italian site?


SaresITA89
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 254
Joined: 27 Oct 2013, 17:26
Location: Italy

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by SaresITA89 » 29 Aug 2014, 15:27


User avatar
Arrakis
 
Posts: 5429
Joined: 25 Oct 2013, 14:11
Location: Sparksvaard, the middle world; the world of people.

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Arrakis » 19 Sep 2014, 13:04

Thread moved to the tutorial section for public view. ;)


User avatar
AussiePastor
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 117
Joined: 09 Aug 2014, 19:47
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by AussiePastor » 20 Sep 2014, 03:20

Hoshi,

You exploiter of bugs you. : :crazy:
Aussie Pastor
Real Life Pastor that's a gamer.


Strilan
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 23:11

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Strilan » 20 Sep 2014, 03:53

Thanks for the advice!


Drojdier
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 21:09

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Drojdier » 22 Sep 2014, 12:41

One very crucial piece of advice for people like me who took hours to realise this: just having the same numeric value on all the tiles under teraforming -> Observe view does NOT mean the land is flattened.

Let's say you raised and lowered tiles until all the tiles where you want to place your house have same value. You then need to use Teraforming -> Flatten once more on them, and after that the tiles will appear as green in teh observe view.

PS: currently flatten doesn't work for the tile you're sitting on (kinda makes sense).


Kossako
Alpha Tester
 
Posts: 175
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 04:37
Location: Poland

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Kossako » 22 Sep 2014, 20:11

Drojdier wrote:One very crucial piece of advice for people like me who took hours to realise this: just having the same numeric value on all the tiles under teraforming -> Observe view does NOT mean the land is flattened.

Let's say you raised and lowered tiles until all the tiles where you want to place your house have same value. You then need to use Teraforming -> Flatten once more on them, and after that the tiles will appear as green in teh observe view.

PS: currently flatten doesn't work for the tile you're sitting on (kinda makes sense).


Observer is rather new functionality.

You can flatten terrain just fine without it. Just flatten first square, stand on it and flatten neighbor square - they would be flatten to same level as the one you are standing on. No need to use observe ability at all ;)

Remember that most efficient way of flattening is to first flatten ground you need to lower and when you have full inventory go to square you need to rise and get rid of all the dirt. This way in most cases you don't need to get additional material for flattening from other place.
Skills and crafting information: lif-database-application-t1494

Build your first home for newbies guide: first-house-guide-to-new-players-t1432

User avatar
DichBach
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 05 Oct 2014, 23:32

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by DichBach » 06 Oct 2014, 17:53

Hoshiqua wrote:One tip : We have found something interesting about clay !

It's simple, you don't have to run for clay source and then recall, there's a much faster way. I don't know if it is a bug, but let me explain :

First, find a beach. Shouldn't be that hard, and there are chances that there is one near you. Go to that beach.

Then, equip your shovel and your pickaxe. Start lowering the ground near the water using your shovel until you hit rock.

When you hit rock, try digging a tunnel in it using your pickaxe. If it does nothing after the action is completed, that means you are too close to the water, try to repeat the above steps one tile away from the water.

If you actually get rock, it's good, keep digging until you get a little tunnel (dug out stone, you should notice it). This is considered as a normal tunnel, and you should be able to keep mining the sides of this little tunnel. Since you are on a beach, you should have reached water level, and the stone you want to keep mining should be a tiny bit above the water.

Then, here's the magic : when you mine stone inside a tunnel, as little as it is, if the stone is right above the water, you should get clay. You won't get as many as when you directly get it from a normal source, but it can save a lot of time.

I hope it's understood. I'll make a video to explain better next run.

That trick allowed us to get a lot of clay for building, eve tough we are located at the oasis, which is far away from any "normal" clay source.


So I have a beach with a long straight edge (where the water starts). I've done 30 or 40 cycles of "Dig Tunnel Downward" and have a little triangle carved with stone wall parallel to the water.

The 2nd square I did running parallel to the water edge now has water on the 'floor' even though it isn't actually underground, it is just a two-sided 'tunnel' with rock wall (1m highes) on right, floor underneath, and very short stone wall on left (25cm maybe?). The entire upper portion is open to the sky.

Should I just keep going parallel to the water, or should I turn right and go away from the water so I can get the tunnel fully underground?


Booyaah
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 12 Dec 2015, 00:41

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Booyaah » 04 Jan 2016, 08:56

Hi,

I was trying to build the tiny shack today, I have my terraform at 60 and material prep at 30, but the shack is still greyed out.

Have they changed the requirements since this thread was made? Do you need 60 skill in material prep now?


Janh.wiegmann
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Jan 2018, 17:29

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Janh.wiegmann » 10 Jan 2018, 20:47

Kossako wrote:There are many new people starting alfa recently so I decided to crate this guide. There are some basics and some tips and I hope every player using this guide will be able to create his first bind location. If you see any errors feel free to send pm to me.

Here we go.

Location:

If you don’t want to join some group already settled in some location, you need to find some place where you will be able to live alone. Map is quite large so running every time for resources you need might be frustrating.

Tip: While you need to run somewhere unequip all your tools. You will be faster and your stamina while sprinting will drain at slower rate. Also you may want to turn on auto sprint (Caps Lock - your stamina will drain) and auto run (Num Lock). Just auto run and turn off sprinting till you regen your stamina. You will get at desired location a lot faster.

What you will need for sure if you want to test crafting:

-Wood – It’s needed for all buildings and fuel for smelting. Good to have forest close. You can carry up to 3 building logs at time and some building requires hundreds of it…

-Rock – if you want to build castle walls or anything from fortifications (or even larger building) you will need a lot. In other cases not necessary to have one close.

-Iron Ore – it’s good to have one close. Needed for better tools and for nails that are used in most containers.

-Sand – needed for glass which is needed for window modules needed for larger buildings. No need to have one close, you can gather and recall.

-Clay – used for clay based buildings. If you have lack of wood in neighbourhood you might want to build clay based buildings. You will save wood for other things. Water is also essential in that case if you want to form clay into some more complicated prefabricates (for example brick). Most larger houses also required clay to be build. Keep it in mind if you want to crate small village.


Building a house:


If you picked location you like it’s time to build a hut. Mainly for recall ability so you can come back to location or respawn on your “property” (claiming land is not implemented yet).

So what will you need to create your home:

Tools:

a) Primitive Shovel – for flattering land for your home and gathering Clay (if needed)
b) Primitive Pickaxe – for shaping Rock
c) Primitive Axe – for chopping down tree
d) Primitive Saw – for chopping fallen tree into Building Logs and Boards (if needed)
e) Primitive hammer – to construct your home.

To create primitive tools you need:
a) Branch – just find some tree, click action menu and under forestry you will find “snap a branch” option. You can gather many from one tree.
b) Flint Stone – you need to find rocky area and after clicking action menu under prospection you will see option to search for eliglable stone. You can gather many from one place.
c) Wild Plant Fiber – it’s available everywhere where you see grass. It’s chance based so you can just stand still and under action menu – nature lore / Search for wild plant fiber – you can repeat action till you get desired amount of wild plant fiber.

Tip: When you mouse over on certain object (tree or ground) you can change default action by right clicking on it in action menu. Then all you have to do is just click left mouse without even entering action menu.

Steps to create your home:

1. Craft shovel and pickaxe. Right click on branch in inventory and choose to craft tools. Construction menu will pop up with materials needed after selecting desired tool.

2. Terraform rocky terrain or dig a tunnel to get rock. Process all rock into Shaped Rock using pickaxe (right click on it to show menu) to increase Construction Materials Preparation skill. You need to rise it to 60 in order to be able to build smallest hut.

Tip: In skill group certain skill is available to you (except for first one) if you level previous skill to level 30. To rise certain skill above 30 you need to have previous skill level at 60 minimum. So if you need Construction Materials Preparation you need to rise Terraforming to 60 first.

3. Craft hammer. Pick a spot and try to build house. Right click on ground and under Construction Material Preparation select Construct. Depend on resources nearby you can build Tiny Shack (wood only based) or Plaster Tiny Shack (clay and wood based). Click build. You will see how your building will look like and what parts of terrain need to be flattened. If you already did some flattening you can check what squares left to terraform (will be red, while flattened will be green)

4. Now it’s time to flatten ground under your hut. 4x4 squares are needed. Start by flattering first one and when it’s ready stand on it and flatten next square. It will be flattened to same level as the one you are standing on. Proceed with all 16 squares.

5. Build a hut using procedure from point 3. Remember you can turn home around. I suggest doing it to pick up best side for door.

6. Now you have your building location and you need to gather resources needed to finish building. Click on it and they will be listed. After gathering some amount of resources you might be overburden. Just come back to your building site, open construction menu and drop required items into space under building requirements. Depends on what type of hut have you chosen you will need:

a) Tiny Shack
-10 Building Logs – you need axe and saw equipped. Chop down tree and then saw out building log (choose from menu) from fallen tree using saw.
-20 Boards – you need axe and saw equipped. Chop down tree and then saw out boards (choose from menu) from fallen tree using saw.

b) Plaster Tiny Shack
-5 Building Logs – you need axe and saw equipped. Chop down tree and then saw out building log (choose from menu) from fallen tree using saw.
- 150 Clay – find clay and using shovel lower terrain (terraforming) Proceed until you have 150 clay in inventory.


Tip: There are 2 types of trees in LiF: Softwood that requires logging 30 and hardwood that requires logging 60. So if you don’t see option to cut down tree under logging and you have 30 logging already you try to cut down hardwood tree. Choose another one. To increase logging from 0 to 30 you need to cut down bark from tree. Just find a tree an under logging action menu you have option for it.


7. You can build your hut with some resources already gathered or wait till you gather all of them. Equip hammer and just hit build in house crafting menu. Remember to finish house you need to stand outside of building area. If you don’t do that you will get message about space being blocked.

8. After finishing house right click it and choose “set as my home”. There is no message confirming it so I always click couple of times just to be sure… (you should get message “there is no room for you…”. That means you are already bind to that)

Congratulations :) You just build you first house.


Hy, cool guide!
I just have one problem finishing my first tiny shack , ( that one one has to build for the cooks children quest on beginners island) i have mounted all materials which where needed, less one building log, i tryed, and tryed and tryed, to assemble it, but after the work with the hammer there comes the nasty " no sucsess noise " and the log remains in the building inventar. I allready tryed with softwood and hardwood, i´m just not able to finish it, so i can´t finsh the quest.
Please help if you can.


Velius
 
Posts: 342
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 02:10

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Velius » 11 Jan 2018, 08:03

Janh.wiegmann wrote:
Hy, cool guide!
I just have one problem finishing my first tiny shack , ( that one one has to build for the cooks children quest on beginners island) i have mounted all materials which where needed, less one building log, i tryed, and tryed and tryed, to assemble it, but after the work with the hammer there comes the nasty " no sucsess noise " and the log remains in the building inventar. I allready tryed with softwood and hardwood, i´m just not able to finish it, so i can´t finsh the quest.
Please help if you can.


Likely you are standing where a portion of the finished house will appear. You'll need to be completely outside of its perimeter in order to finish because the game will not build/render a house if you are occupying its space. This is so you aren't trapped forever by clipping into it when it appears. Stand as far away as you can and still be able to interact with the foundation and hammer in the last bit of material. I recommend having observe mode on (F3) so that you can be certain you are not standing on a cell that will be occupied by the building.


Janh.wiegmann
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Jan 2018, 17:29

Re: First house guide for new players.

Post by Janh.wiegmann » 11 Jan 2018, 09:24

Velius wrote:
Janh.wiegmann wrote:
Hy, cool guide!
I just have one problem finishing my first tiny shack , ( that one one has to build for the cooks children quest on beginners island) i have mounted all materials which where needed, less one building log, i tryed, and tryed and tryed, to assemble it, but after the work with the hammer there comes the nasty " no sucsess noise " and the log remains in the building inventar. I allready tryed with softwood and hardwood, i´m just not able to finish it, so i can´t finsh the quest.
Please help if you can.


Likely you are standing where a portion of the finished house will appear. You'll need to be completely outside of its perimeter in order to finish because the game will not build/render a house if you are occupying its space. This is so you aren't trapped forever by clipping into it when it appears. Stand as far away as you can and still be able to interact with the foundation and hammer in the last bit of material. I recommend having observe mode on (F3) so that you can be certain you are not standing on a cell that will be occupied by the building.

Ok, i´ll try it that way.
Thank you very much for your answer and hint!

Return to Guides and Tutorials