[MMO] Horses, Wolves and No More Human Siege-Ladders (0.10.19.0)

Everything you need to know about what’s happening in Life is Feudal.
Hodo

Re: [MMO] Horses, Wolves and No More Human Siege-Ladders (0.10.19.0)

Post by Hodo » 28 Dec 2017, 14:46

Jairone wrote:
And... so stacks of people 8+ tall for this, please? I want a reference that matches stone wall people ladders, not something that we already noted was possible... :P

P.S. You didn't prove me wrong you arrogant piece of crud. The earlier pictures were in light gear, you didn't address high walls, you didn't address slope, and you didn't even start to comment on the game mechanics section. Maybe instead of just insulting people, you should try for a complete response?

P.P.S. I have done those exercises, and when you have gear on and stack a few people high in a vertical things become extremely difficult. Without a leaning wall like the ramp in your first picture, it is practically impossible. Even for people in great shape. Stop crying, and trying so hard, you are giving the actual toxic people a bad name...

First, you can with some effort get people to stand on each other to get over a vertical surface, it just takes teamwork... You know that thing that many of you dont understand.

Second yes that picture was of soldiers scaling a inclined wall, best I could find in 5min search. If I had bothered to put more effort into the search I am sure I could have found actual medieval documentation of human ladders.

Third... people would use grappling hooks, and knotted ropes to scale most walls on their own.

Fourth..... Most of the walls people are scaling in this game arent even over 10ft tall. Most people are getting over palisade walls which are about 9ft in game, 6ft at the gap if it has a slot in it. I even now can jump, pull myself up and climb through a gap 6ft off the ground, in armor.

Finally, if you think I am being toxic, you aint seen nothing yet. You wont like me if I decide to be toxic. I can say things that will make your momma call the doctor to come and abort you because you suddenly became an unwanted child.
Don't build what you can't defend- Rule number 1.

Agathon

Post by Agathon » 28 Dec 2017, 16:11

Hodo wrote:
Jairone wrote:
It is a little different when people are wearing an extra 50-100 lbs. of gear though too. Also, the bigger walls that they do that with are slanted, it's rare to see them hit a straight vertical ladder on anything higher than a palisade in game.

Bigger thing though is just simple game mechanics. They want there to be specific times and methods used for this stuff. If people do other things, they will patch it. It's pretty logical in that regard. Likely if you needed half a PvP guild to farm constantly for 9 months in game, and not do anything else at all, you'd complain about that and request a nerf (and some non-PvP players would mock it.)

There's room for fun for everyone, but that does require that they reinforce mechanics meant to keep the game from being another nomadic tribes of nakeds gankbox that drives everyone with any other interests away... and if the locusts don't like it I doubt they care too much (since the goal of pure gankbox locusts is to destroy one game and move on to the next, effectively.)

There's plenty of methods to get some decent PvP going, if you are willing to actually TALK to people and arrange fights.

It is?
Those troops right there... I know what they are wearing and it is about 30-40lbs of gear. Or about what you are wearing in game in light scale or novice chain.

I also know about that because I have fought in BOTH sets of gear, US Army, AND medieval... my total chainmail hauburk, akiton, and vanbraces weigh in at 40lbs, my helm is another 12lbs.

So 52-60lbs of gear.

When I deployed to Afghanistan over a decade ago, I walked around with my vest, kevlar helmet, LCE, M249SAW, 2 spare 200round drums (porkchops), 1 bayonet, and a M9 with 2 spare mags, 4 fragmentation grenades and 2 smoke, 2 canteens, 1 compass, 1 first aide pouch, NVGs, and my E-tool. Total weight about 40-50lbs.

Funny almost the same as my medieval kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAzI1UvlQqw

You may find the results interesting.

It isnt about ganking or anything like that... it is about actually being able to hit your enemy instead of having every 5 man guild putting up palisade walls and shitting on the territory. Right now you CANT remove them. When historically they would have just been burned down in a few hours and the owners drawn and quartered.

Your story was lovely, but thats a little wall. You can't do that for a stone or castle.
Forsaken Blood - Godleland - Hardcore PvP - Interested in joining? https://discord.gg/BRKhBpZ

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 28 Dec 2017, 16:20

Agathon wrote:
Your story was lovely, but thats a little wall. You can't do that for a stone or castle.

Your post was pointless, because a stone wall in game is only about 20ft tall, and yes you can. It just takes more people...

Just pointing out.. where their is a will there is a way.

And as stated many times before, a castle wall is impossible to do that with in game because of its shape. If you build your ground right under it, you wont have a problem with people climbing over ANY of your walls.

It is a simple case of learn to play, and get good. Or just stop being lazy.

And one more for fun...

Grimpenripper

Post by Grimpenripper » 28 Dec 2017, 20:45

Dude, how about just be quiet?

20ft tall walls, makes more then 10 ppl on top of each other WITH heavy armor, weapons etc et and you ex military dude ( lol really ^^ ) still think its a nice to have ?
how about stop tearing bout the last patch?

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 28 Dec 2017, 21:02

Grimpenripper wrote:Dude, how about just be quiet?

20ft tall walls, makes more then 10 ppl on top of each other WITH heavy armor, weapons etc et and you ex military dude ( lol really ^^ ) still think its a nice to have ?
how about stop tearing bout the last patch?

No.

And I always want options, both on attack and defense. Right now they steadily are removing options for attack. Thus making defenders lazy... need I point to the post about the drying rack wall?

And if it takes 10 people to stand on top of each other to get over a 20ft wall then we have other problems with the game... like scaling... average person during the 11th century was about 5'6". So 10 people would be able to scale one side then the other, and another on the top.

Fact is a well built defense in game with proper terraforming done can not be breached with a few guys and a few horses. But that would require work and may not look pretty.

Sleep

Post by Sleep » 28 Dec 2017, 22:07

The problem with walls is that you need to patrol it's perimiter to react in time. Nobody wants to spend all their time in game sitting on the wall doing nothing but watching for trespassers. Because it's boring and if game is boring, people don't play it. That's why we have JH, so you don't need someone to patrol all the time. And that's why climbing a wall during non-jh hours is impossible by design.

Another point is that when offenders gonna have siege ladders, battering rams, grapling hooks, etc, defenders should be able to counter it: cutting ropes, flipping ladders, throwing stones on the attackers' heads, pouring boiling oil, etc. And most importantly, defenders should be able to simply kick people from the wall and watch them falling down breaking their legs or necks.

Walls were historically built to allow a smaller group or people to defend against a larger group. That's why a siege (a military blockade of a city) was effective. And if it's easier to attack than defend, walls lose their purpose.

P.S. i've got and idea about siege totem putting some negative effect on defenders with a siege battle scheduled every day until one side wins the battle. But it's probably not gonna work...

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 29 Dec 2017, 14:20

Sleep wrote:The problem with walls is that you need to patrol it's perimiter to react in time. Nobody wants to spend all their time in game sitting on the wall doing nothing but watching for trespassers. Because it's boring and if game is boring, people don't play it. That's why we have JH, so you don't need someone to patrol all the time. And that's why climbing a wall during non-jh hours is impossible by design.

Another point is that when offenders gonna have siege ladders, battering rams, grapling hooks, etc, defenders should be able to counter it: cutting ropes, flipping ladders, throwing stones on the attackers' heads, pouring boiling oil, etc. And most importantly, defenders should be able to simply kick people from the wall and watch them falling down breaking their legs or necks.

Walls were historically built to allow a smaller group or people to defend against a larger group. That's why a siege (a military blockade of a city) was effective. And if it's easier to attack than defend, walls lose their purpose.

P.S. i've got and idea about siege totem putting some negative effect on defenders with a siege battle scheduled every day until one side wins the battle. But it's probably not gonna work...

You are right, it is boring sitting guard.. but get out roam around looking for badguys on your land. Used to do it all the time, it was a good time to train up unit tactics and get people up to speed before a big fight. Some of the best fights I have had in this game have been either running into a raiding force headed to our base or as we headed to theirs.

Now no one does that because, why even bother... you cant even get over the walls you cant do anything if you do... so why even bother.

All of those things you listed would be AWESOME... But without the ability to do any of them even as an attacker make them it is kind of pointless.

With the cost of siege totems now no one wants to bother, even if they did work.

Sleep

Post by Sleep » 29 Dec 2017, 16:57

Hodo wrote:get out roam around looking for badguys on your land.
Why bother building walls then?

Hodo wrote:All of those things you listed would be AWESOME... But without the ability to do any of them even as an attacker make them it is kind of pointless.
For now we don't have proper mechanics to defend walls, but we had workarounds to get over them. And it was fixed.

Also, getting over walls outside of jh, while enemy can't defend the base (people have other things to do irl, they can't play 24/7) is kinda unfair.

Hodo

Post by Hodo » 29 Dec 2017, 17:23

Sleep wrote:Also, getting over walls outside of jh, while enemy can't defend the base (people have other things to do irl, they can't play 24/7) is kinda unfair.

What would they do if they got over your walls when you arent online? Stare at your art work? Watch the leaves blow gently in the breeze?

If no one is online you cant do anything to anything there, if there is no one to kill, then you just went into an empty place.

If you want to sit there and wait for someone then that is on you. But it isnt like you are getting any loot back, and odds are will be losing more than you gain.

There is some kind of mystique around PVPers, and people tend to think they just want to kill everyone all the time. They actually want a reason to pvp not just kill pixels because they can. For that there are other games that do it better and cheaper.

The funny thing is I am not even a hardcore PVPer, hell I am barely even considered a PVPer.. I pvp when needed, otherwise I PVE and hunt. That is it.

Niborell.alfray89
True Believer

Post by Niborell.alfray89 » 30 Dec 2017, 14:45

Horses still get stuck on wolves, which I just had to experience. Needless to say that my horse got stolen and jewlery looted before I could get back to the initial location of the wolf attack, thanks to the formidable resurrection illness.

Destrmeow

Post by Destrmeow » 03 May 2018, 09:54

Arrakis wrote:Life is Feudal: MMO

[*] Fixed a horse and wolf collision capsule interaction, which made wolves chase and improperly stuck/lock horses while chasing

This is 100% not fixed, happened today on Buyan MMO 5/3/2018. Why would you post this has been fixed when you have not actually fixed it?

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 03 May 2018, 14:49

Destrmeow wrote:This is 100% not fixed, happened today on Buyan MMO 5/3/2018. Why would you post this has been fixed when you have not actually fixed it?

If you encountered such bug, please contact us either via discord (http://discord.gg/lifeisfeudal) or send an email to helpmmo@lifeisfeudal.com and provide all the details.

HolyAvengerOne

Post by HolyAvengerOne » 04 May 2018, 00:39

Destrmeow wrote:
Arrakis wrote:Life is Feudal: MMO

[*] Fixed a horse and wolf collision capsule interaction, which made wolves chase and improperly stuck/lock horses while chasing

This is 100% not fixed, happened today on Buyan MMO 5/3/2018. Why would you post this has been fixed when you have not actually fixed it?

You oversimplify this a lot :)
Lord Fyrr Deerd'an | Pope of Riftwood, a division of Lux Astra Sanctorum [LAST] | Buyan (NA-E)

Return to News and Information