How to add Gods favor to personal claims?

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Sevil

How to add Gods favor to personal claims?

Post by Sevil » 20 Nov 2017, 20:21

Anyone know?

Amaunet_Phoenix
True Believer

Re: How to add Gods favor to personal claims?

Post by Amaunet_Phoenix » 20 Nov 2017, 20:25

I would like to know too.

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 20 Nov 2017, 20:32

Personal claims and tradeposts can't be resized with god's favor at the moment.

GeordieMarv

Post by GeordieMarv » 20 Nov 2017, 20:34

Arrakis wrote:Personal claims and tradeposts can't be resized with god's favor at the moment.

Personal claims can be made bigger with sacrifices though right?

AlexVestin

Post by AlexVestin » 20 Nov 2017, 20:47

If you build a hut close to the claim center, then kill guild-members inside of it, you get a permanent claim increase.

Holymoley4
True Believer

Post by Holymoley4 » 20 Nov 2017, 20:58

what can be sacrificed to the claim to extend the life besides copper coin? thats one hell of a trip to make ..... or it is only coins?

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 20 Nov 2017, 21:58

Holymoley4 wrote:what can be sacrificed to the claim to extend the life besides copper coin? thats one hell of a trip to make ..... or it is only coins?

This is what I want to know.. I dont want to deal with the copper coin system at all to be honest.

Peegee77
True Believer

Post by Peegee77 » 20 Nov 2017, 22:05

As far as I can see at the moment it's only copper coins that can be used to maintain personal claims. I really hope they change this soon because it makes it a horrible grind to locate yourself any distance from the central city. I know the focus is meant to be on guilds and that is fine, but it would be good if it was possible to lone wolf out in the wilds somewhere. Let's face it, in medieval society there were a lot of itinerants who made a living on the fringes or while traveling around. Not everyone was settled.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 20 Nov 2017, 22:09

Peegee77 wrote:As far as I can see at the moment it's only copper coins that can be used to maintain personal claims. I really hope they change this soon because it makes it a horrible grind to locate yourself any distance from the central city. I know the focus is meant to be on guilds and that is fine, but it would be good if it was possible to lone wolf out in the wilds somewhere. Let's face it, in medieval society there were a lot of itinerants who made a living on the fringes or while traveling around. Not everyone was settled.

Actually that last part is not true at all. Most people in the medieval society DID live in communities, for several reasons. Protection, support, and social reasons.

They may not have lived on top of each other like we do today, but they did live together. There are VERY few instances of people who lived alone. And none of them lived truly alone without the support of a town or village nearby.

Ergher.jv

Post by Ergher.jv » 21 Nov 2017, 00:14

So if i want play like an hunter and trade meat and skin with other village, i cant because i'm fucked without protection of my stuff...? :(

Arrakis

Post by Arrakis » 21 Nov 2017, 00:23

Ergher.jv wrote:So if i want play like an hunter and trade meat and skin with other village, i cant because i'm fucked without protection of my stuff...? :(

Well, you'll manage protection fine if whatever village you want to trade with has trading post and will allow you to use it to get coins for monument.

Velius

Post by Velius » 21 Nov 2017, 00:25

Ergher.jv wrote:So if i want play like an hunter and trade meat and skin with other village, i cant because i'm fucked without protection of my stuff...? :(

Bury it. Just don't make it plainly obvious that there is something buried.

Peegee77
True Believer

Post by Peegee77 » 21 Nov 2017, 14:09

Hodo wrote:
Peegee77 wrote:As far as I can see at the moment it's only copper coins that can be used to maintain personal claims. I really hope they change this soon because it makes it a horrible grind to locate yourself any distance from the central city. I know the focus is meant to be on guilds and that is fine, but it would be good if it was possible to lone wolf out in the wilds somewhere. Let's face it, in medieval society there were a lot of itinerants who made a living on the fringes or while traveling around. Not everyone was settled.

Actually that last part is not true at all. Most people in the medieval society DID live in communities, for several reasons. Protection, support, and social reasons.

They may not have lived on top of each other like we do today, but they did live together. There are VERY few instances of people who lived alone. And none of them lived truly alone without the support of a town or village nearby.

Most, but not all. Bodgers and charcoal burners lived outside the towns as individuals or in small groups, and moved around an area during the course of a year. Hermits, holy men and tinkers were frequently solitary. Outlaws by definition were excluded from society.

In any case, an individual or small group in LiF relying on a personal claim is, as you say, not truly alone but a part of the bigger society. They are just outside the boundaries of the settlement and less formally tied to each other than a guild. The game mechanics of personal claims make it clear that the devs intend this style of play to be a viable (although difficult) option. My point is that the current system with claims being maintained solely by copper coins is unrealistic. I don't really want to see God's Favour being used either because that smells of pay to win, but there is no reason items like fish, hides and logs - all obtained with an investment of effort - couldn't be sacrificed direclty.

Aka_radu

Post by Aka_radu » 21 Nov 2017, 19:18

SO...is there a way to sacrifice god's favor? ...as i've seen the private monument has the option

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 21 Nov 2017, 19:32

Peegee77 wrote:
Hodo wrote:

Most, but not all. Bodgers and charcoal burners lived outside the towns as individuals or in small groups, and moved around an area during the course of a year. Hermits, holy men and tinkers were frequently solitary. Outlaws by definition were excluded from society.

In any case, an individual or small group in LiF relying on a personal claim is, as you say, not truly alone but a part of the bigger society. They are just outside the boundaries of the settlement and less formally tied to each other than a guild. The game mechanics of personal claims make it clear that the devs intend this style of play to be a viable (although difficult) option. My point is that the current system with claims being maintained solely by copper coins is unrealistic. I don't really want to see God's Favour being used either because that smells of pay to win, but there is no reason items like fish, hides and logs - all obtained with an investment of effort - couldn't be sacrificed direclty.

All of the people you listed, wouldnt own land.

Bandits, well that is an obvious one, they wouldnt own land because it makes them vulnerable. They would have a stash located somewhere. Which you can easily do now. Or they would trade things at another town and keep the profit.

Priests/monks who travel around, well they are supported by the church and by the towns they visit. You can try and do that now... good luck.

Bodgers, Charcoal, dyers, and tanners, all lived outside of town because of the smell of their jobs. They were part of the local town and often known. You can do that too.. once towns get established.

Hermits, well they often lived off of the land, and didnt have a home, they may have had an abandoned shack or a simple hut in them middle of no where, but rarely anything of the levels these people have in game..... (sorry for the massive sentence run-on)

Tinkerers.... this is flat out false information. Tinkerers can be found anywhere. Most were outlawed by the church during the dark ages through the late middle ages because it was considered witchcraft. But those that were excepted by the church were usually lived in towns. The Norse were famous for having tinkerers in their society, but they did it as a hobby, not as a job. It was something they did in their free time.

Peegee77
True Believer

Post by Peegee77 » 21 Nov 2017, 20:05

Fascinating discussion.

I was associated with a living history group that researched the life a bodger in southern England. He had customers across a wide area, and over the course of the year he would travel from near Portsmouth in the South to Farnham in the North, a distance of some 50 miles. He would build himself a shack in the woods, set up his pole lathe and make his goods for the local market. Once the demand was satisfied in that area he would move on. He didn't own the land he built on, but he had a right to use it, so that is similar to a LiF "personal claim."

What you say about being tied to one place is probably more true of the early Medieval period. The massive depopulation of the Black Death caused a severe labour shortage. The workforce became far more assertive and far more mobile, and they would travel and negotiate for the best conditions.

Anyway, in LiF terms you can live alone or in a small group and still be part of the bigger "society". I think it would be a shame if everyone is forced to adopt the same playstyle, at least at the beginning. Over time, it may turn out that large groups are the only viable strategy, but it's nice with a sandbox to at least experiment.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 21 Nov 2017, 20:39

Peegee77 wrote:Fascinating discussion.

I was associated with a living history group that researched the life a bodger in southern England. He had customers across a wide area, and over the course of the year he would travel from near Portsmouth in the South to Farnham in the North, a distance of some 50 miles. He would build himself a shack in the woods, set up his pole lathe and make his goods for the local market. Once the demand was satisfied in that area he would move on. He didn't own the land he built on, but he had a right to use it, so that is similar to a LiF "personal claim."

What you say about being tied to one place is probably more true of the early Medieval period. The massive depopulation of the Black Death caused a severe labour shortage. The workforce became far more assertive and far more mobile, and they would travel and negotiate for the best conditions.

Anyway, in LiF terms you can live alone or in a small group and still be part of the bigger "society". I think it would be a shame if everyone is forced to adopt the same playstyle, at least at the beginning. Over time, it may turn out that large groups are the only viable strategy, but it's nice with a sandbox to at least experiment.

The funny thing is I am not saying you cant, I am saying that you have to rethink how you do it.

If you want to live like that, you will have to accept that your life will be FAR harder than anyone elses. You will be at the mercy of the people who occupy the land you are visiting. If the allow you to live there or choose to run you off. You just have to wait till things become more settled than they are right now. Right now we aren't even in the dark ages of settlements, we are in the colonial point of setting up. Where we are all starting from scratch.

In a few weeks when most of the major guilds have established strongholds and cities, you can start doing exactly what you are talking about.

I too am a history nut, and part of a history recreation group. While not a living history group we do try to do the best of the middle ages.

Peegee77
True Believer

Post by Peegee77 » 21 Nov 2017, 20:45

I fully accept it will be far harder. In fact, I suspect it may turn out to be impossible. All I want is for that to be decided by other players, not by game mechanics which seem, to say the least, to be a little perverse.

Off topic, I was a pikeman for some years with the Sealed Knot, until I ran out of ribs to break. Painful history lessons.

Hodo
True Believer

Post by Hodo » 21 Nov 2017, 20:51

Peegee77 wrote:I fully accept it will be far harder. In fact, I suspect it may turn out to be impossible. All I want is for that to be decided by other players, not by game mechanics which seem, to say the least, to be a little perverse.

Off topic, I was a pikeman for some years with the Sealed Knot, until I ran out of ribs to break. Painful history lessons.

I was a practitioner of HEMA/ARMA for years... then I got involved in the SCA (society of creative anachronism) been doing that for about 20+ years now off and on.

My personal history specialty is West African-Southern Iberia/Spain (Al- Andalus).

Return to General Discussion