To those having FPS issues! Look here!

Have some feedback for Life is Feudal? Post it here!

KeDeVi

To those having FPS issues! Look here!

Post by KeDeVi » 20 Sep 2014, 13:42

First of all, know this.
1. LiF is early early alpha.
2. It's on the right track.
3. Is NOT optimized for consumer pcs, devs have had little time to performance tweak the game in such an infancy stage.

Okay so after some testing I've figured out which settings hinder frame rate the most in LiF.

The big bad guy is TREE DETAIL.
Seriously it's a monster, I can't set it higher than 2 and maintain 50-60fps smooth.

I suggest leaving it at 1 for the majority of users.

Next big fps hitter, LIGHTING QUALITY. I have it on normal because anything higher than that steals about 10-15 fps.

The next thing is POSTFX it is a small check box in the bottom left corner. I don't believe it's even fully implemented considering it still has debug features so I would suggest leaving it off. Saves a good 5-10fps depending on your system.

And finally view distances and AA with AF are the final settings they don't have as big an impact as the above mentioned view distance would be on a per cpu basis. For me it changes nothing.

Also OBJECTS QUALITY can play a role in about a 5-10 fps hit but it's not as heavy as tree detail and depends largely on your gpu. I play max 10 on object detail.

I run a gtx 680 4gb dedicated. With 8gb ram and an i7. I can play in the stable 50-60 fps range @ 1920x1080 with some adjusted settings. Keeping tree detail down to a minimum helps a ton.

Feel free to post here with specs and performance anyone else has had, this is a sharing post to help new players get the best experience they can.

EDIT!!: Grass Rendering forgot to mention, I've read online that it plays a good role is fps dropping so if you half your grass rendering and drop tree detail to minimum you'll see a huge improvement!
Last edited by KeDeVi on 23 Sep 2014, 14:49, edited 3 times in total.

Arrakis

Re: To those having FPS issues! Look here!

Post by Arrakis » 20 Sep 2014, 13:43

Sticked, very nice explanation. ;)

Sergeievich

Post by Sergeievich » 22 Sep 2014, 12:01

Thanks for your very useful tips!

Vandalzd

Post by Vandalzd » 24 Sep 2014, 10:41

Thank you for your post, i will try this when i get home later.

On that note i know its still in early alpha and optimisation is now even planed but its really frustrating to play on 9-10 FPS on higher end machines. Im runing R9 290 4GB, 4770K, 8GB ram and game is on SSD but still geting 9-10 fps when i look in the sun....you can't stare at the sun like IRL. :)

keep on good work devs! we love it so far! :beer:

Tkrosado5

Post by Tkrosado5 » 25 Sep 2014, 04:17

Thanks so much not I can look at trees without dropping to 5 FPS! :Yahoo!:

Raytracer

Post by Raytracer » 07 Oct 2014, 01:14

I believe you mean keeping tree detail at 0.10 and not 1 correct? Not that it matters on my system, game runs 5-10fps if everything is cranked or everything is lowered all the way. Before patch it was smooth as glass.

Adamld85

Post by Adamld85 » 07 Oct 2014, 01:37

Raytracer wrote:I believe you mean keeping tree detail at 0.10 and not 1 correct? Not that it matters on my system, game runs 5-10fps if everything is cranked or everything is lowered all the way. Before patch it was smooth as glass.

This is because its not using your video card's RAM (vram) its running from system memory and disk. Check your nvidia card usage while playing and you're notice it doesn't actually put any of the game into vram.

It is broken for now and devs haven't given an ETA on when they'll fix it.
LT.
7Gamers.com.au

Nich261

Post by Nich261 » 07 Oct 2014, 17:36

Thank you for these tips. I have tried all of them, but the big issue is the fact the game does not recognize my gpu. It sets to an ATI default and does not give my my option which is a Nvidia gtx 650.

Josheru

Post by Josheru » 07 Oct 2014, 18:29

Adamld85 wrote:
Raytracer wrote:I believe you mean keeping tree detail at 0.10 and not 1 correct? Not that it matters on my system, game runs 5-10fps if everything is cranked or everything is lowered all the way. Before patch it was smooth as glass.

This is because its not using your video card's RAM (vram) its running from system memory and disk. Check your nvidia card usage while playing and you're notice it doesn't actually put any of the game into vram.

This seems like a ludicrously important thing to focus on fixing, I'm confused about why there is no official word on a fix in the works yet.

Raytracer

Post by Raytracer » 07 Oct 2014, 22:58

Adamld85 wrote:

Ok, so I got everything running at 50+FPS now. Trees are at 2.0, objects at 10.0, Lighting is Max, AA is on normal. AF is at 16X. View distances are at default.

1. I opted out of steam beta and reverted to normal steam.
2. I uninstalled AVG.
3. I installed and ran "Wise Game Booster" and " Game Booster 3" from Download.com and made recommended changes and registry edits.
4. I installed and ran "Registry Recycler". Which found a bunch of crap.
5. I ran CCleaner and cleaned the Registry through that as well.
6. I right clicked the .exe and checkmarked Run this in compatibility mode for win8, disable display scaling on high DPI settings, and Run this program as an administrator. Then applied.

Kivvi8

Post by Kivvi8 » 09 Oct 2014, 07:40

Instead of that long post. Why not just say. Drop all ur settings down to lowest settings. I'v seen ppl showing this on youtube. I mean cmon. Use ur head and drop down ur settings. No need for a post / video about it

Raytracer

Post by Raytracer » 09 Oct 2014, 14:41

Kivvi8 wrote:Instead of that long post. Why not just say. Drop all ur settings down to lowest settings. I'v seen ppl showing this on youtube. I mean cmon. Use ur head and drop down ur settings. No need for a post / video about it

Because it it really is not that simple. Something is causing LIF to run extremely slowly and it is not in-game settings. I was getting 5-10fps with everything set at low until I adjusted some things outside of the game to get 50+ fps with everything set at maximum in game.

Monokoi

Post by Monokoi » 09 Oct 2014, 16:03

Raytracer wrote: ...
1. I opted out of steam beta and reverted to normal steam.
2. I uninstalled AVG.
3. I installed and ran "Wise Game Booster" and " Game Booster 3" from Download.com and made recommended changes and registry edits.
4. I installed and ran "Registry Recycler". Which found a bunch of crap.
5. I ran CCleaner and cleaned the Registry through that as well.
6. I right clicked the .exe and checkmarked Run this in compatibility mode for win8, disable display scaling on high DPI settings, and Run this program as an administrator. Then applied. ...

I really doubt that all those changes were necessary. If you experienced an increase in FPS, then it was one or two things of the above.

It's not advisable to remove the anti virus software from a system connected to the net. Maybe disable it for a quick test run and then modify the settings or change to another product alltogehter.

It's also risky to use more than one app to optimize your systems settings, especially if you don't know what changes are made.

If someone is willing to test all the steps recommended by Raytracer, please run a test after each modification. I'll be looking into the options mentioned except the "magic helpers" and will report what it has done for me.
Intel Xeon E3 1231v3 @3.4GHz
Ballistix 16 Gb DDR3
Samsung Pro SSD
Saphire R HD6870 1Gb GDDR5

Sloddor

Post by Sloddor » 09 Oct 2014, 19:55

Did exact the same, didnt do anything for me ;(

Monokoi

Post by Monokoi » 10 Oct 2014, 06:48

:good: I've found the solution for the issues on my machine.

One of the Admins recommended to manually add the .exe to the card software. I've tried that with the ATI Catalyst without success. Using a third party driver tool (RadeonPro) however and manually setting every option has resolved the issue I've had with my card. It's still not displayed correctly in the game menu, but fan speed is back to normal and performance has improved.
Intel Xeon E3 1231v3 @3.4GHz
Ballistix 16 Gb DDR3
Samsung Pro SSD
Saphire R HD6870 1Gb GDDR5

Return to Feedback Section